What are you listening to right now?

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:51 am

version sound wrote:I was just listening to The Idiot to see if I still hate it. I do. There are like 2 songs I can tolerate. The rest is just sub-Bowie bullshit. I guess if you are a big Bowie fan, it’s fun to hear Iggy remade in his image, but as an Iggy fan, hard fucking pass.

Hard pass on this contrarian review. If you don't like it fine, but it's possible to be a fan of both Berlin-era Bowie (Low in particular is an all-time for me) and Iggy at the same time. I love that album, but part of it is admittedly tied to when I first heard it and it's personal, etc. Still, how the fuck can you not like that record?

Oh, Elvis Costello - My Aim is True (UK version)
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:11 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Hard pass on this contrarian review. If you don't like it fine, but it's possible to be a fan of both Berlin-era Bowie (Low in particular is an all-time for me) and Iggy at the same time. I love that album, but part of it is admittedly tied to when I first heard it and it's personal, etc. Still, how the fuck can you not like that record?

Those Berlin records are really just Bowie records with Iggy singing in his shitty post-Stooges crooner voice. I’m not really a Bowie fan. Never have been. The best things he ever released were the instrumentals on Low, which are more Eno than Bowie. How can I hate it? I fucking hate that white funk horseshit that characterizes a lot of Bowie’s stuff, and by extension, Iggy’s stuff, in that era. Maybe I’m not an Iggy fan after all. Other than Kill City and the somewhat tolerable Lust for Life and New Values, Iggy solo pretty much sucks. If he had never recorded another note beyond Kill City, I would have been just fine with that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:07 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Hard pass on this contrarian review. If you don't like it fine, but it's possible to be a fan of both Berlin-era Bowie (Low in particular is an all-time for me) and Iggy at the same time. I love that album, but part of it is admittedly tied to when I first heard it and it's personal, etc. Still, how the fuck can you not like that record?

Those Berlin records are really just Bowie records with Iggy singing in his shitty post-Stooges crooner voice. I’m not really a Bowie fan. Never have been. The best things he ever released were the instrumentals on Low, which are more Eno than Bowie. How can I hate it? I fucking hate that white funk horseshit that characterizes a lot of Bowie’s stuff, and by extension, Iggy’s stuff, in that era. Maybe I’m not an Iggy fan after all. Other than Kill City and the somewhat tolerable Lust for Life and New Values, Iggy solo pretty much sucks. If he had never recorded another note beyond Kill City, I would have been just fine with that.

Side 2 of Low is my favorite stuff by him, too, but if that's ALL you like by Bowie, I totally understand why at least The Idiot isn't your cup of java. I think you underrate Lust for Life and especially New Values heavily because neither are anything like that despite Bowie's involvement in the former.

I like the glam era and whatnot, but the white funk horseshit (if you mean Young Americans, which I love and which I think is really underrated) is where Bowie starts to get REALLY interesting IMO. All of that Berlin-era stuff is part of the foundation for so much great music of the '80s (and so much not-so-great music, too, admittedly) that I know you're also a fan of.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:22 pm

version sound wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
version sound wrote:The Doors - S/T

Great record. I don’t care what anyone says to the contrary.

Does anyone disagree with this? Fuckin' awesome band/record.

IME, people are always itching to shit on The Doors.

Love the debut lots, but my favorite these days is definitely L.A. Woman; been that way for a while. I went through a period a few months back where I tracked down (thanks to patient_ot) some audiophile CD versions, etc.

And people who shit on the Doors are just ignorant, by and large.
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:14 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Side 2 of Low is my favorite stuff by him, too, but if that's ALL you like by Bowie, I totally understand why at least The Idiot isn't your cup of java. I think you underrate Lust for Life and especially New Values heavily because neither are anything like that despite Bowie's involvement in the former.

I like the glam era and whatnot, but the white funk horseshit (if you mean Young Americans, which I love and which I think is really underrated) is where Bowie starts to get REALLY interesting IMO. All of that Berlin-era stuff is part of the foundation for so much great music of the '80s (and so much not-so-great music, too, admittedly) that I know you're also a fan of.

You’re a huge Bowie fan and your favorite stuff is side 2 of Low? I don’t get that. I like Low a lot but, as VS said, by many accounts, that was more Eno than Bowie and it’s basically just aping Kraftwerk, Harmonia, etc. It’s nice, pleasant stuff but, for my money, Bowie made a lot of much better, more original music.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:35 pm

I don’t deny Bowie’s ability to make interesting music or his influence on those who followed, but most of his stuff just doesn’t click with me. I’ve listened to all his 70s and early 80s records a few times, and I’m mostly just not feeling it. I don’t dislike it particularly, I just can’t really see what so many people love about it in any more than an academic capacity. Plus, wasn’t he all about fascism in the ‘70s?

Iggy seemed to spend most of his solo career trying to distance himself from The Stooges and his image/history of being a beautiful loser who made great music that didn’t sell. He seemed to be willing to try just about anything to make some cash. I don’t blame him a bit, but I don’t think that it resulted in particularly good music most of the time. There are parts of The Idiot and Soldier that I actively dislike, but most of his solo stuff is…fine, but I don’t bother to (re)listen to most of it because I could listen to The Stooges instead. Same goes for Lou Reed after the VU, more or less.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:23 pm

Dif Juz - Out of the Trees

On some days, Dif Juz is my favorite 4AD band.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:27 pm

Dif Juz - Extractions

Man these dudes really deserve more credit. Robin Guthrie more or less high jacked the legendary CT sound from them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:17 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:You’re a huge Bowie fan and your favorite stuff is side 2 of Low? I don’t get that. I like Low a lot but, as VS said, by many accounts, that was more Eno than Bowie and it’s basically just aping Kraftwerk, Harmonia, etc. It’s nice, pleasant stuff but, for my money, Bowie made a lot of much better, more original music.

I'd say I've only come to that conclusion in the last 5-10 years. Before that, I would've said I preferred side 1. It's not coincidental that my interest in those German bands and others has grown considerably since then. FWIW, if you look at other tracks in the Berlin trilogy, Heroes has several explicit tributes to Neu's "Hero" and Kraftwerk's Florian Schneider. All that said, I still think side 2 of Low is different from anything by those artists/groups while clearly inspired by them (and I've read accounts saying that it was pretty much in the can when Eno showed up, but I'm not sure how accurate that is). It has a healing/meditative/calming quality that's also very intense and that I have trouble accurately articulating. Sometimes, writing about music really is like dancing about architecture. I listened to side a lot after he passed away in 2016 and just played it the other day.

What are you favorites?
JGJR

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:16 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:You’re a huge Bowie fan and your favorite stuff is side 2 of Low? I don’t get that. I like Low a lot but, as VS said, by many accounts, that was more Eno than Bowie and it’s basically just aping Kraftwerk, Harmonia, etc. It’s nice, pleasant stuff but, for my money, Bowie made a lot of much better, more original music.

I'd say I've only come to that conclusion in the last 5-10 years. Before that, I would've said I preferred side 1. It's not coincidental that my interest in those German bands and others has grown considerably since then. FWIW, if you look at other tracks in the Berlin trilogy, Heroes has several explicit tributes to Neu's "Hero" and Kraftwerk's Florian Schneider. All that said, I still think side 2 of Low is different from anything by those artists/groups while clearly inspired by them (and I've read accounts saying that it was pretty much in the can when Eno showed up, but I'm not sure how accurate that is). It has a healing/meditative/calming quality that's also very intense and that I have trouble accurately articulating. Sometimes, writing about music really is like dancing about architecture. I listened to side a lot after he passed away in 2016 and just played it the other day.

What are you favorites?

I like Side 1 of Low a lot, and I dig Lodger but my fave is Ziggy — the songs are great and the playing is next-level.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:30 pm

Bad Brains - Black Dots

I don’t know if this one is going to be part of the reissue program, but I found a used copy (on CD) for $10, and that’ll do, pig.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:37 am

version sound wrote:Bad Brains - Black Dots

I don’t know if this one is going to be part of the reissue program, but I found a used copy (on CD) for $10, and that’ll do, pig.

They did a semi-recent-white-vinyl reissue but I think BB are determined to put all of their recorded output on the new label.
drew

Postby drew » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:38 am

Naked Raygun- Over The Overlords

Just arrived yesterday and I’ve listened twice. Def has jumped to the top of my best-of-year-list.
drew

Postby Gary » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:37 pm

Billy No Mates- duck,duck,goose lp
Gary

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:45 pm

Frisky Radio. Vocal free dark and ambient haus muzik.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:00 pm

Motorhead-Rock N Roll (Expanded Edition)-2XCD :arrow:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:08 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

What are you favorites?

I like Side 1 of Low a lot, and I dig Lodger but my fave is Ziggy — the songs are great and the playing is next-level.

I'll start another thread because this is a topic that deserves it IMO, but Ziggy is in my personal Bowie top 5 as well. Lodger has grown a lot on me over the years, too. It's great, but I don't listen to it that often.

One Last Wish - 1986
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 am

"Back to Queens", by THE MOB.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:24 am

Starting through the Big Country catalog today.
the mean

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:45 pm

scannest wrote:"Back to Queens", by THE MOB.

Yes!
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:46 pm

The Paranoid Style. All day. Three days in a row.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:19 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:The Paranoid Style. All day. Three days in a row.

She is a great lyricist, but something about the tunes and the playing just don't do it for me. I'll give them another try.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:51 am

scannest wrote:

She is a great lyricist, but something about the tunes and the playing just don't do it for me. I'll give them another try.

My fave is the Rolling Disclosure LP — reminds me of full-band but pre-Wilco era Billy Bragg. I hadn’t heard the band until a couple days ago.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:30 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

My fave is the Rolling Disclosure LP — reminds me of full-band but pre-Wilco era Billy Bragg. I hadn’t heard the band until a couple days ago.

One of my favorite modern bands for sure; Rock and Roll Can't Recall EP is fantastic, too, as is all of their stuff, but I think RD is m favorite, too.

Fugazi - s/t debut
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:23 pm

Empire - Volume II: Expansive Sound

This shit is pretty good. I think most of you might actually like it as much or better than Expensive Sound. It’s a whole lot less the band that inspired Embrace and closer to something like early Elvis Costello with more of a rock edge. It’s still available for $11.99 from Bob’s website (while it’s super overpriced everywhere else). It’s also on streaming platforms, so you can check it out before you buy, but if you liked Expensive Sound, it’s well worth paying up for.

EDIT: I remembered what the newer stuff on this reminds me of: Ted Leo.
Last edited by version sound on Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby matt » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:05 pm

Neurosis - "Through Silver in Blood"
matt
Site Admin

Postby scannest » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:14 pm

version sound wrote:It’s also on streaming platforms, so you can check it out before you buy, but if you liked Expensive Sound, it’s well worth paying up for.

Thanks for the heads up!
BTW, you ever look up a band with a fairly generic name (like EMPIRE) on a streaming service and find all these other shitty bands with the same name? Sometimes I listen to them for shits & giggles. I'm listening to THE RAVEN RIDE by another Empire right now. I could see Midge really digging it.

(...cough...)
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:32 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:It’s also on streaming platforms, so you can check it out before you buy, but if you liked Expensive Sound, it’s well worth paying up for.

Thanks for the heads up!
BTW, you ever look up a band with a fairly generic name (like EMPIRE) on a streaming service and find all these other shitty bands with the same name? Sometimes I listen to them for shits & giggles. I'm listening to THE RAVEN RIDE by another Empire right now. I could see Midge really digging it.

(...cough...)

Oh yeah, it can be pretty annoying. Sometimes they put the band you’re looking for and some other shitty band under the same entry. It’s always fun to have to figure out what’s what, though it’s usually painfully obvious in the first 5 seconds.

BTW, here’s the link: https://derwoodandrews.com/merchandise#!
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:12 pm

John Coltrane - Live in Seattle (2 CD Set)

I’ve been in a Coltrane mood a lot lately. I pretty much plan to buy a used Coltrane CD every time I go to the record store for the foreseeable future. This week, it was this one. I was torn between this and the 2 CD version of Both Directions at Once, but the copy of that one that they had had some light staining on the cover. Plus, there’s a three-disc set that has everything from that set and more for about $8 more, so I’ll probably grab that one. Anyway, this here live set straddles the line between Coltrane’s more structured work and the more free jazzy stuff. The cat was not digging the more free portions. I guess she’s more of a formalist.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:11 pm

version sound wrote:Empire - Volume II: Expansive Sound

This shit is pretty good. I think most of you might actually like it as much or better than Expensive Sound. It’s a whole lot less the band that inspired Embrace and closer to something like early Elvis Costello with more of a rock edge. It’s still available for $11.99 from Bob’s website (while it’s super overpriced everywhere else). It’s also on streaming platforms, so you can check it out before you buy, but if you liked Expensive Sound, it’s well worth paying up for.

Much appreciate that tip; is that vinyl reissue of Expensive Sound worth buying? Had the 2000s CD, but no longer.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:12 pm

version sound wrote:John Coltrane - Live in Seattle (2 CD Set)

I’ve been in a Coltrane mood a lot lately. I pretty much plan to buy a used Coltrane CD every time I go to the record store for the foreseeable future. This week, it was this one. I was torn between this and the 2 CD version of Both Directions at Once, but the copy of that one that they had had some light staining on the cover. Plus, there’s a three-disc set that has everything from that set and more for about $8 more, so I’ll probably grab that one. Anyway, this here live set straddles the line between Coltrane’s more structured work and the more free jazzy stuff. The cat was not digging the more free portions. I guess she’s more of a formalist.

Such a great set; got the vinyl.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:30 pm

JGJR wrote:Much appreciate that tip; is that vinyl reissue of Expensive Sound worth buying? Had the 2000s CD, but no longer.

It was apparently mastered from a needle-drop (as was the CD) but was reportedly done well. It’s probably the cheapest option at this point. Originals aren’t too expensive in Europe, but the shipping will kill you.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:44 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:Much appreciate that tip; is that vinyl reissue of Expensive Sound worth buying? Had the 2000s CD, but no longer.

It was apparently mastered from a needle-drop (as was the CD) but was reportedly done well. It’s probably the cheapest option at this point. Originals aren’t too expensive in Europe, but the shipping will kill you.

All good to know; thanks again! I did check the reviews on Discogs and coudn't find much there re: the the Drastic Plastic reissue.

Oh, Joe Jackson - Jumpin' Jive
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:39 pm

version sound wrote:Empire - Volume II: Expansive Sound

This shit is pretty good. I think most of you might actually like it as much or better than Expensive Sound. It’s a whole lot less the band that inspired Embrace and closer to something like early Elvis Costello with more of a rock edge.

Listened to it today and I absolutely heard Ted in one of the songs. In general, it reminded me more of early '80s UK pop than, say Elvis C. Stuff like U2, Style Council, Dexys, Haircut 100. I know that covers a lot of territory, but I'm at a loss to put that stuff under one genre - "New, New Wave"? "New sorta-Romantics"?
scannest

Postby jaybird » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:13 am

Excellent return to form.
jaybird

Postby Knutsen » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:06 am

The Ahmad Jamal Trio - The Awakening
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby JGJR » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:51 pm

TV21 - A Thin Red Line Lp
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:08 am

Curve - Cuckoo

Great record by a great band who often get forgotten when people talk about classic shoegaze. I already have the (reissue) vinyl, but I just ordered the 2 CD version for all the extras.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:31 am

version sound wrote:Curve - Cuckoo

Great record by a great band who often get forgotten when people talk about classic shoegaze. I already have the (reissue) vinyl, but I just ordered the 2 CD version for all the extras.

Thsi is just a theory, but maybe it's because they used a drum machine? Either way, enormously influential band. I can't imagine Garbage or say, shoegaze revivalists like School of Seven Bells sounding the same without them.

Oh, I'm currently listening to Morphine - Yes (RIP Billy Conway)
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:02 am

JGJR wrote:Oh, I'm currently listening to Morphine - Yes (RIP Billy Conway)

I had tickets to see them like the week after Mark Sandman died on stage in Rome.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:10 am

jaybird wrote:

I had tickets to see them like the week after Mark Sandman died on stage in Rome.

Oh fuck a duck; sorry to read that; hope you got to see em at least once; the last time I saw them was in November '98 at Hammerstein Ballroom here in NYC. They played with Medeski, Martin, & Wood, who I'm not too huge on, but they were great that night (as was Morphine, of course). Oh and DJ Logic, too! Remember him?

I'll scan the ticket stub once I locate it and kind of want to anyway as part of a tribute, so thanks for the inadvertent inspiration to do that.

I also saw them a few other times before that, too, with the most memorable being at Rutgers in early '98 outside as the sun was going down. They were incredible. I still think about that version of "French Fries with Pepper."

Don't wanna be "that guy," but Mark Sandman died on stage at a festival in Palestrina (just outside of Rome).

Oh, Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:46 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Oh fuck a duck; sorry to read that; hope you got to see em at least once;

:cry:
jaybird

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:31 pm

Blue Oyster Cult - “Secret Treaties”
xxxHunterxxx

Postby jaybird » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Wye Oak - Civilian

jaybird

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:52 pm

Bootleg of Funeral Oration's demo tape from 1984.
FlexMyHead

Postby drew » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:18 pm

Iron Maiden- SENJUTSU

Great gift-wrapping music.....
drew

Postby JGJR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:22 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Oh fuck a duck; sorry to read that; hope you got to see em at least once;

:cry:

That sucks; sorry to hear. I did see a tribute/offshoot band with Dana Colley on sax a few years back, though I know that's not the same, obviously. They were great, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Coll ... %93present)

Oh, The Waitresses - I Could Rule the Parts if I Could Only Get the Parts
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:35 pm

Trial By Fire - Ringing In The Dawn - LP
FlexMyHead

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:16 pm

Just want to say how much I love Funeral Oration's '90s records that came out on New Red Archives. I need to dig into that earlier stuff - how's the demo?

Current listening: J. Robbins / Her Heads on Fire split 7" -- I've listened to it twice and remain a little underwhelmed unfortunately.
captain2man

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:00 pm

captain2man wrote: I need to dig into that earlier stuff - how's the demo?

The songs are early raw punkish stuff but with pretty melodic/catchy chorus, the guitar typically has kinda a flange/distorto sound. One song has almost an early Cure feel.

The first song has a long intro, but here is the 2nd song which is a fair representation of it:

If you like that song, then check out the whole demo:

FlexMyHead

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse