U2 - Greatest Hits on Vinyl?

U2 - Greatest Hits on Vinyl?

Postby lewdd » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:28 am

I just bought a copy of this one - https://www.discogs.com/release/1257482 ... -1990-2000

Would love to get this one but not for over $100 - https://www.discogs.com/release/1107770 ... -1980-1990

Ended up buying Red Rocks LP instead

Woke up this morning to a U2 song playing on the radio and it spurred the thought that I didn't have them on vinyl and I think some of their stuff probably would sound really good on vinyl.

Are there any other greatest hits by them on vinyl worth buying?
lewdd

Re: U2 - Greatest Hits on Vinyl?

Postby patient_ot » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:16 pm

As you may remember, I'm really not a greatest hits fan. You can buy that earlier comp cheaper if you look around. If you are patient enough to wait another year or more, odds are it will come back in print at MSRP. U2 is a very popular band after all.

I haven't heard any of the vinyl remasters, but they should sound good provided you get a copy without pressing defects. Most of them were cut by Chris Bellman after another guy did the digital mastering first. They aren't AAA if you care.

I have the first five albums on old LP editions from the 80s. I suggest looking for clean copies of those. A few years ago you could probably pick them up for $10-15 each with a little effort. Can't say how much they go for now with inflated pandemic pricing.

My personal favorites are Boy and the Unforgettable Fire. For Boy on vinyl I have an early UK copy. For TUF I have an early US copy mastered at Sterling. Now, I have heard the UK Townhouse version of TUF and although purists will say it sounds way better I disagree. It is EQ'd a little differently and sounds different, but it doesn't embarass the Sterling cut at all.

For Joshua Tree, the original copies were pressed on 1 LP and the album is too damn long for optimal sound quality on one piece of wax. My early U.S. edition is a Masterdisk DMM cut on Quiex vinyl and even then, either of my CD versions beats it. I'm not saying it sounds terrible but it's not ideal given the length of the album.

U2 sounds very good on both the old CDs and the remastered ones. The remastered ones are a bit louder but not completely destroyed like so many remasters. The earlier CDs need to be cranked more for proper effect.

I guess what I'm saying here is that despite what people say U2 is no great revelation on vinyl. Most of the early albums sound good on both vinyl and CD, with Joshua Tree being the one where CD has a clear advantage.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:41 pm

Outside of "Out of Control", I am not too big of a fan of any songs other than their hits which is why I was leaning toward finding a greatest hits collection. I have the 80-90 CD. Maybe I will give that I spin.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:43 pm

lewdd wrote:Outside of "Out of Control", I am not too big of a fan of any songs other than their hits which is why I was leaning toward finding a greatest hits collection. I have the 80-90 CD. Maybe I will give that I spin.

Give the early albums another shot when you have time. They are very consistent on those first 4-5 albums. Rarely a bad track. Once they hit Achtung Baby, it's a different story. I get off the U2 train after that album.

You could also look for 12'' singles if you just want hits. Not sure how findable those would be at record shops in your area.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:18 pm

patient_ot wrote:Give the early albums another shot when you have time. They are very consistent on those first 4-5 albums. Rarely a bad track. Once they hit Achtung Baby, it's a different story. I get off the U2 train after that album.

Almost totally agree, except I think Rattle and Hum is pretty patchy. It’s got great songs, but it’s also got garbage like “When Love Comes To Town” and “Love Rescue Me” where they tried to sound American (and black). Boy and Unforgettable Fire are also my favorites and the only ones I have on vinyl (a Yugoslavian press of the former and American and Japanese pressings of the latter).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:19 am

lewdd wrote:
Are there any other greatest hits by them on vinyl worth buying?

FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:28 am

I sold that U2 album
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:43 am

version sound wrote:Almost totally agree, except I think Rattle and Hum is pretty patchy. It’s got great songs, but it’s also got garbage like “When Love Comes To Town” and “Love Rescue Me” where they tried to sound American (and black). Boy and Unforgettable Fire are also my favorites and the only ones I have on vinyl (a Yugoslavian press of the former and American and Japanese pressings of the latter).

I don't even consider that a real album, since it's a hodgepodge of studio + live stuff. Agree that it doesn't match their other early stuff and shouldn't be a priority for most people. I don't even own a copy. I should probably pick up a cheap used CD of it at some point.
patient_ot

Postby gregpolard » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:58 am

I have both of those U2 Hits (1980-1990 & 1990-2000)

I prefer the former, obviously.

I also have U218 which is a Greatest Hits that spans the whole 1980-2006 or so era.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:11 am

gregpolard wrote:I have both of those U2 Hits (1980-1990 & 1990-2000)

I also have U218 which is a Greatest Hits that spans the whole 1980-2006 or so era.

All three on vinyl?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 am

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I have both of those U2 Hits (1980-1990 & 1990-2000)

All three on vinyl?

Indeed.

Funny enough, I was at Sit & Spin yesterday and saw 1980-1990 on cassette but it was $10. Had it been 5 or less, I'd have brought home w/ me LOL
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:43 pm

Just bought that 1980-1990 2LP on Discogs for $35 with shipping and taxes. Seller says NM-. I can't believe it was so inexpensive compared to most others for sale. I am almost scared to get it in the mail thinking surely something isn't right about this sell price.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:21 am

lewdd wrote:Just bought that 1980-1990 2LP on Discogs for $35 with shipping and taxes. Seller says NM-. I can't believe it was so inexpensive compared to most others for sale. I am almost scared to get it in the mail thinking surely something isn't right about this sell price.

Vinyl pricing is so weird. Like I legit got that from Amazon with a gift card two years ago tops and it was normal priced.
gregpolard

Return to daghouse