Best Records of 2021

Re: Best Records of 2021

Postby jaybird » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:31 am

scannest wrote:If SNL did a parody of 'Dad Rock', it would sound like this:

:lol:

Reminds me of how ten years ago or so, all these indie/punk bands were falling all over themselves trying to sound like Springsteen.... now the trend seems to be trying to sound like Jackson Browne or Gary U.S. Bonds or something.

jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:33 am

Is the WoD dude the guy that ruined the last Dinosaur Jr album?
FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I kinda dig 80s Moody Blues — or at least “Long Distance Voyager.” Do they sound like that?

If SNL did a parody of 'Dad Rock', it would sound like this:

TBH....I REALLY like that new War on Drugs album. Its almost as good as
Lost in the Dream' from years ago. They're BETTER without Kurt Vile.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I kinda dig 80s Moody Blues — or at least “Long Distance Voyager.” Do they sound like that?

It’s like Don Henley jacked the riff from “Our Lips Are Sealed” and hired Joe Satriani to play it.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:51 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

I saw Kurt Vile in 2006. The Lilys were on the bill but canceled. Kurt Vile (by himself) made weird sounds with effects pedals for about 45 minutes and then called it a night. I’d give the show an F-minus.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby pedro » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:54 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:They're BETTER without Kurt Vile.

Wow. They must have really sucked with that dude.
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:59 am

Yeah, between Kurt Vile and these guys Philly has a lock on "bands I should like based on their hype, but in fact are terrible."
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:24 am

scannest wrote:Yeah, between Kurt Vile and these guys Philly has a lock on "bands I should like based on their hype, but in fact are terrible."

Also, Marah... they regularly rave about the Nils in interviews and talk them up as a primary influence, but they sound like a weak Springsteen tribute act.

The Dead Milkmen are pretty much the best band from Philly, aren't they? I mean, who else is there?
jaybird

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 am

jaybird wrote:
scannest wrote:Yeah, between Kurt Vile and these guys Philly has a lock on "bands I should like based on their hype, but in fact are terrible."

Also, Marah... they regularly rave about the Nils in interviews and talk them up as a primary influence, but they sound like a weak Springsteen tribute act.

The Dead Milkmen are pretty much the best band from Philly, aren't they? I mean, who else is there?

Probably. Electric Love Muffin were great but their records never did them justice. I liked McRad, Scram, and FOD a lot when I was a teenager. Ruin got a fair amount of hype but I didn’t like them as much. The Lilys were great but they kinda transcended Philly band status. As for current bands, the last Foxycontin record is great. And I like Poppy.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby drew » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 am

A lotof bands that “grew up” usually still stayed in an Alt-Rock genre’. Now it’s like what you guys have said....Jackson Browne, Eagles, Brent Stringbeen.......the worst of the worst.
drew

Postby pedro » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:37 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
jaybird wrote:
scannest wrote:And I like Poppy.

Did you hear the new (yesterday) stuff? I've listened twice and I like it so far.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:42 am

pedro wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Did you hear the new (yesterday) stuff? I've listened twice and I like it so far.

Yep. On first listen, I liked it (esp. the bass part on the first song) but not quite as much as the last record. Will continue to listen and report back.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby pedro » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:43 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
pedro wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Yep. On first listen, I liked it (esp. the bass part on the first song) but not quite as much as the last record. Will continue to listen and report back.

No "MooMoo", but still pretty good.
Hello.
pedro

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:50 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:As for current bands, the last Foxycontin record is great. And I like Poppy.

I'll second that rave for the Foxycontin record. I have not yet heard Poppy.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:06 am

pedro wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:They're BETTER without Kurt Vile.

Wow. They must have really sucked with that dude.

oh thats cute.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:24 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:The War on Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore

If you like those guys, I have some '80s Moody Blues' records I can let you have for cheap.

I figured you'd be all over these guys given your love of classic rock and the fact that you were 16 in 1984. I was 9, but it still feels like indie rockers trying to capture that exact mid '80s Petty, Springsteen, Dire Straits, etc. vibe. One song reminded me of "Head Over Heels" (Tears for Fears) but with guitars taken from "The Boys of Summer." That's why I resisted them for so long, but ultimately, I gave in.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:30 am

scannest wrote:

I think this was the song I was talking about earlier. The opening riff is like "Head Over Heels" played by '80s LA session cats. And WTF is wrong with "Dad Rock?" I'm a dad and won't pretend to be in my 20s. I mean that's fine from time to time, but there's a time and a place for everything, right?
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:21 pm

JGJR wrote:And WTF is wrong with "Dad Rock?" I'm a dad and won't pretend to be in my 20s. I mean that's fine from time to time, but there's a time and a place for everything, right?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with 'Dad Rock". I said "If SNL did a parody of 'Dad Rock', it would sound like this". I think there's a distinction there, but YMMV.
And there is no time and place in my life for some shitty, watered down version of classic rock. This sounds as much like Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen as Kurt Vile sounds like Neil Young (which is to say, not at all).
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:32 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:And WTF is wrong with "Dad Rock?" I'm a dad and won't pretend to be in my 20s. I mean that's fine from time to time, but there's a time and a place for everything, right?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with 'Dad Rock". I said "If SNL did a parody of 'Dad Rock', it would sound like this". I think there's a distinction there, but YMMV.
And there is no time and place in my life for some shitty, watered down version of classic rock. This sounds as much like Tom Petty or Bruce Springsteen as Kurt Vile sounds like Neil Young (which is to say, not at all).

I associate dad rock with Wilco, who are terrible. Therefore, dad rock is terrible.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby jaybird » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:35 pm

scannest wrote:

It actually reminds me of Bryan Adams... who was like the dumbed-down 80s Top 40 version of Springsteen or Petty... I have a tough time believing anyone younger than 40 is into this sort of thing. Call it Alternative Adult-Contemporary I guess.
jaybird

Postby scannest » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I associate dad rock with Wilco, who are terrible. Therefore, dad rock is terrible.

I think the term was first used in a Pitchfork review of Wilco's SKY BLUS SKY, so that's accurate.
However, Wilco aren't terrible. First five records are very good-to-great (BEING THERE is a top 20 of all-time one for me). All diminishing returns ever since.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:58 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I associate dad rock with Wilco, who are terrible. Therefore, dad rock is terrible.

I think the term was first used in a Pitchfork review of Wilco's SKY BLUS SKY, so that's accurate.
However, Wilco aren't terrible. First five records are very good-to-great (BEING THERE is a top 20 of all-time one for me). All diminishing returns ever since.

xxxTeamSonVoltxxx. Wilco broke Billy Bragg.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby jaybird » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

My wife chose "California Stars" from that album as the spotlight dance song when we got married.

But yes, I'm a much bigger Son Volt fan all the way, but only really care about the first three albums, with Mike Heidorn and the Boquist brothers.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:41 pm

scannest wrote:

Given that you compared it to a fictional parody done for laughs along the lines of a Documentary Now! type thing like they're the fucking Blue Jean Committee, I don't think it's a leap of logic to assume you thought it was something to be made fun of, not something to be enjoyed and appreciated (and that is confirmed by the 2nd paragraph above), so please don't do that. You're backpedaling like someone on an old bike without brakes at best and trying to (perhaps unknowingly) gaslight me at worst.

If you don't think that at least their music doesn't sound like something on Southern Accents or Tunnel of Love at times, I don't know what to tell you. I wasn't implying that they're a tribute band to either or anything like that, though.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:43 pm

scannest wrote:

SBS is very underrated and Pitchfork can blow me. I do think their best records are unquestionably the first 5, though. My favorites are Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Being There. They're still unbelievable live, too, and not just for Nels' guitar playing, though that goes a long way for me.
Last edited by JGJR on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:45 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Stop making them your scapegoat. I think that Billy would've gotten interested in Americana anyway and it's not like he's gonna say no to writing and recording songs with Woody Guthrie's lyrics no matter who's backing him when Woody's family asks. Just sayin'.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:50 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I saw Kurt Vile in 2006. The Lilys were on the bill but canceled. Kurt Vile (by himself) made weird sounds with effects pedals for about 45 minutes and then called it a night. I’d give the show an F-minus.

I ALMOST went to see him when he performed with Courtney Barnett. I liked both of their individual albums at the time. Then they collaborated and what looked on paper to be something really cool, it was just blah.. So, no. I didn't go.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:01 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I ALMOST went to see him when he performed with Courtney Barnett. I liked both of their individual albums at the time. Then they collaborated and what looked on paper to be something really cool, it was just blah.. So, no. I didn't go.

I've never seen Courtney Barnett play, though I've been a casual fan since her early EPs were first released here, but I've had the pleasure of seeing Kurt Vile play many times (I checked and it's 7 times all between 2009 and 2011, interestingly) during my time in Philly from 2006 to 2017. I've seen him in contexts ranging from opening for Fucked Up at a tiny club (the Barbary) to play with Pavement at the Mann Center (an outdoor amphitheater) and in between, too. Not a particularly big fan, but I do like him and don't get what the hate is all about, honestly. The pairing with Dinosaur Jr makes a lot of sense to me, too; both he and J are indie guitar heroes who like classic rock as much as punk and combine them and that's been going on since the '80s.I think Kurt also plays a Jazzmaster like J or Stephen Malkmus (and many others), but you guitar folks can correct me on that if I'm wrong. I don't have any of his records at the moment, but I gravitate towards the earlier stuff. This is a jam.

I also have some weird personal (albeit kinda tenuous) connections to TWOD as well, though I don't know Adam or Kurt at all. One of my grad school classmates played in a very early version of TWOD and Adam played in The Capitol Years, a 2000s Philly indie/garage band comprised of 2 of my high-school classmates, both of whom used to jam with one of my best friends and one of whom dated the girl I took to my senior prom afterwards. A friend of mine in Ohio is also a good friend of a totally different TWOD member and they live in the same town and I was on a Zoom call with him a few years ago.

The Dead Milkmen are also definitely the best band to ever come out of Philly not counting all the great Cameo-Parkway and Philly International/MFSB stuff. At least IMO.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:13 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I've never seen Courtney Barnett play, though I've been a casual fan since her early EPs were first released here.

Her album from 2021 is also very good. Weird textures, but very creative. I like it.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:18 am

jaybird wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

My wife chose "California Stars" from that album as the spotlight dance song when we got married.

But yes, I'm a much bigger Son Volt fan all the way, but only really care about the first three albums, with Mike Heidorn and the Boquist brothers.

This is the DEFINITIVE answer, even though the later records had some great songs on them.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:48 am

FPGFR
jaybird

Postby scannest » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:49 am

jaybird wrote:FPGFR

Well, now you're just making this stuff up.

XOLJ3JHE?!
scannest

Postby jaybird » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:53 am

scannest wrote:

XOLJ3JHE?!

jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:55 am

Hoping my day can turn around a little bit.
FormerLurker

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:55 am

scannest wrote:

XOLJ3JHE?!

HSTMALOHOM
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:57 am

FormerLurker wrote:
scannest wrote:

XOLJ3JHE?!

HSTMALOHOM

TWCF!
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 am

FormerLurker

Previous

Return to daghouse