IDT: Smelly People

IDT: Smelly People

Postby drew » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:21 pm

Ok, maybe I didn’t discover them.

Saw COME last week at Union Pool. My wife said this may be it for her at these small clubs. The reason? People fucking smell. Badly. A room full of 50-somethings(like me) bald (like me). The difference? I showered!
This has been something we have been laughing about lately but now it’s getting worse. Did COVID make ppl say “fuck it” and just don’t care?
You hear these stories about dudes who can’t get laid because they sit home playing video games and not talking to women.........maybe you should wash your ass.

I want to be at the back bar in a small club watching some great band just tear it up when I’m 70 yrs old. I really do. But this “trend” could keep my well-washed, sweet-smelling body home in the man-cave spinning records.

For anyone here I maybe insulting........sorry, not sorry.
drew

Re: IDT: Smelly People

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:23 pm

MY SHOWER WAS BROKEN THAT NIGHT, DUMMY!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:24 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:MY SHOWER WAS BROKEN THAT NIGHT, DUMMY!

Notice we haven’t been inviting you out......
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:26 pm

drew wrote:

Right. You'll just bitch about it all over the interwebs.

drew wrote:I want to be at the back bar in a small club watching some great band just tear it up when I’m 70 yrs old.

You're only a few years away.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:42 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
drew wrote:

Right. You'll just bitch about it all over the interwebs.

drew wrote:I want to be at the back bar in a small club watching some great band just tear it up when I’m 70 yrs old.

You're only a few years away.

I know. And yet I still bathe
drew

Postby jaybird » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:15 pm

One of the unanticipated drawbacks of banning smoking at bars and clubs is that now instead of smelling smoke all night, you get to smell everything else that the cig smoke was masking... dirty taps, stale beer, & smelly customers.
jaybird

Postby scannest » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:41 pm

jaybird wrote:One of the unanticipated drawbacks of banning smoking at bars and clubs is that now instead of smelling smoke all night, you get to smell everything else that the cig smoke was masking... dirty taps, stale beer, & smelly customers.

I feel like I noticed this a lot more just after the smoking ban took place, but not so much anymore.
There is something to be said for folks working from home as a result of Covid maybe not showering as much.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:57 pm

I haven’t noticed. That may be because DC venues are still mask-only.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:08 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I haven’t noticed. That may be because DC venues are still mask-only.

Or, maybe you're the one that's stinkin'.
FormerLurker

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:59 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I haven’t noticed. That may be because DC venues are still mask-only.

Or, maybe you're the one that's stinkin'.

Certainly possible.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby drew » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:05 pm

scannest wrote:
jaybird wrote:One of the unanticipated drawbacks of banning smoking at bars and clubs is that now instead of smelling smoke all night, you get to smell everything else that the cig smoke was masking... dirty taps, stale beer, & smelly customers.

I feel like I noticed this a lot more just after the smoking ban took place, but not so much anymore.
There is something to be said for folks working from home as a result of Covid maybe not showering as much.

Yeah, it’s been years and I’ve gotten used to the piss-sewage-odor of shitty bars & clubs. I can do without the stinky folks though......
I get not showering as often if working from home, but you’re going out. Act accordingly. :lol:
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:08 pm

drew wrote:Yeah, it’s been years and I’ve gotten used to the piss-sewage-odor of shitty bars & clubs. I can do without the stinky folks though......
I get not showering as often if working from home, but you’re going out. Act accordingly. :lol:

Good thing you never had to go on tour in a punk rock band. You'd have taken a train home after just 2 days.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:32 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
drew wrote:Yeah, it’s been years and I’ve gotten used to the piss-sewage-odor of shitty bars & clubs. I can do without the stinky folks though......

Good thing you never had to go on tour in a punk rock band. You'd have taken a train home after just 2 days.

Probably. But I’m not talking about bands. The band can stink to high heaven, be wasted, act like assholes and puke on the street. But if they kick serious ass that night it’s ok.
drew

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:49 pm

Consider yourself lucky. Union Pool seems to be the only goddamn place that Come plays these days. I’d gladly endure a club fully of stinkos for Come.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Mark T. » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:33 pm

drew wrote:The band can stink to high heaven, be wasted, act like assholes and puke on the street. But if they kick serious ass that night it’s ok.

Wow, did that bring back a bad memory. I went to see MDC in 1986, Smoke Signals just came out. It was a complete shit show, they did not kick serious ass and they were so messed up they didn't even get thru one full song before everyone just gave up on them and left. I had driven a couple hours to see them, I was so pissed.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:52 pm

drew wrote: The band can stink to high heaven, be wasted, act like assholes and puke on the street. But if they kick serious ass that night it’s ok.

Case in point: Buzzov-en. I saw them at a house party in 1993 in Virginia and just before they played I overheard a roadie say "Holy shit, Dennis REALLY smells bad tonight, like rotten-flesh bad". Dennis then spit on the ceiling and let it drip back into his mouth/face/hair and smiled. Krk asked a few of the people holding their red cups of keg beer if they could step back a bit but they were too busy talking loudly to hear him, so he flipped his amp switch on, hunched over and launched his body into the crowd, knocking them over like bowling pins one guy had a dreadlock in his mouth for a moment and while I felt like the smell of the band was going to make me throw up, I had the time of my life until krk ended the show with his entire torso in the bass drum and feedback almost making people cry. Smelliest band I've ever seen/interacted with and best/loudest house party I've been to. I'm pretty sure I was wearing a Mega City Four shirt, Airwalks, jean shorts tastefully cut off and smelled of whatever AXE type cologne I could afford at the time.
FlexMyHead

Postby drew » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:20 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
drew wrote: The band can stink to high heaven, be wasted, act like assholes and puke on the street. But if they kick serious ass that night it’s ok.

smelled of whatever AXE type cologne I could afford at the time.

At least you tried. That’s all I ask.
drew

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:33 am

UPDATE: I was at Union Pool for Bat Fangs last night. I had Drew's comment in the back of mind. I was expecting a stink fest given the band's sorta retro '80s glam metal vibe. It was actually not bad EXCEPT for the one dude near me who was unironic hesher from Long Island who weighed at least 250 with a bad dye job and a black metal T with the sleeves cut off. He snapped at least 3,000 photos with an old school digital camera and kept waving devil horns and soliciting fist bumps all night. When the show was over I heard him try and chat up some folks...yeah, he was definitely on the spectrum. And he stunk. Good show, though.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby drew » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:31 pm

scannest wrote:UPDATE: I was at Union Pool for Bat Fangs last night. I had Drew's comment in the back of mind. I was expecting a stink fest given the band's sorta retro '80s glam metal vibe. It was actually not bad EXCEPT for the one dude near me who was unironic hesher from Long Island who weighed at least 250 with a bad dye job and a black metal T with the sleeves cut off. He snapped at least 3,000 photos with an old school digital camera and kept waving devil horns and soliciting fist bumps all night. When the show was over I heard him try and chat up some folks...yeah, he was definitely on the spectrum. And he stunk. Good show, though.

Those glam folks like to be pretty.
drew

Postby drew » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Dinosaur Jr. tonight at Brooklyn Steel. Room capacity 1500 I believe. It’s a great space and has plenty of room to keep away from others. We have seen Michael Shannon at three different shows here, I’m going to use that to think a little cleaner crowd will be here. We’ll see.
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:31 am

FlexMyHead wrote:

Case in point: Buzzov-en. I saw them at a house party in 1993 in Virginia and just before they played I overheard a roadie say "Holy shit, Dennis REALLY smells bad tonight, like rotten-flesh bad". Dennis then spit on the ceiling and let it drip back into his mouth/face/hair and smiled. Krk asked a few of the people holding their red cups of keg beer if they could step back a bit but they were too busy talking loudly to hear him, so he flipped his amp switch on, hunched over and launched his body into the crowd, knocking them over like bowling pins one guy had a dreadlock in his mouth for a moment and while I felt like the smell of the band was going to make me throw up, I had the time of my life until krk ended the show with his entire torso in the bass drum and feedback almost making people cry. Smelliest band I've ever seen/interacted with and best/loudest house party I've been to. I'm pretty sure I was wearing a Mega City Four shirt, Airwalks, jean shorts tastefully cut off and smelled of whatever AXE type cologne I could afford at the time.

I remember seeing them quite a few times circa 92-93 -ish. Though they were always real good. One of my friends who was tighter with them asked me if they could stay at my house. I was like... yeah, nah.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:12 am

drew wrote:Dinosaur Jr. tonight at Brooklyn Steel. Room capacity 1500 I believe. It’s a great space and has plenty of room to keep away from others. We have seen Michael Shannon at three different shows here, I’m going to use that to think a little cleaner crowd will be here. We’ll see.

He lives in Red Hook, is buddies with Jason Narducy (I think they play in a band together?), so that doesn't surprise me, but that's still cool.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse