Generation X S/T LP UK vs USA Differences

Generation X S/T LP UK vs USA Differences

Postby version sound » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:21 am

I was just reading an old thread in the Hoffman forums, and apparently, the track times are wildly different for the UK and US pressings. Does anyone have both? I’m curious whether the US runs faster or the songs are actually edited down compared to the UK versions. The UK is 11 tracks vs the US’s 12 tracks (some different). I’m wondering if some editing or speed adjustment was done to fit that extra song on there.

UK Pressing:

https://www.discogs.com/master/122047-Generation-X-Generation-X

US Pressing:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1119236-Generation-X-Generation-X
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Generation X S/T LP UK vs USA Differences

Postby patient_ot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:45 am

I've learned from experience that you cannot always trust track times on Discogs. Track times on LPs are also a quagmire, because they can be different from what's printed on the record jacket or label.

Unfortunately I don't have both versions on vinyl. I only have the U.S. version on LP and the UK version on a CD.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:51 am

I don't have the USA pressing on vinyl. I only have a UK pressing and the new box set reissue on vinyl. I have a USA and several UK CDs including the newest box set reissue.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:54 am

There are at least 4 pressings of that 1978 USA version on vinyl. If one were to buy one, which pressing would you recommend?
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:02 am

lewdd wrote:There are at least 4 pressings of that 1978 USA version on vinyl. If one were to buy one, which pressing would you recommend?

Here's the version I have. Maybe my copy is an early '80s reissue?

https://www.discogs.com/release/983541- ... neration-X
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:15 am

patient_ot wrote:I've learned from experience that you cannot always trust track times on Discogs. Track times on LPs are also a quagmire, because they can be different from what's printed on the record jacket or label.

Unfortunately I don't have both versions on vinyl. I only have the U.S. version on LP and the UK version on a CD.

The original poster claimed that his copy of the US LP played noticeably faster, so this isn’t only based on the listed track times.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:17 am

lewdd wrote:There are at least 4 pressings of that 1978 USA version on vinyl. If one were to buy one, which pressing would you recommend?

Whichever copy is cheapest. They were all pressed around the same time (within a few years), presumably from the same mastering.

EDIT: I take that back, there do appear to have been 2 different masterings (1978 and 1984), and a transitional version with the OG matrix crossed out and the new one added. Earlier is usually better, but maybe they took more care with the ‘84, since Billy was hitting as a solo artist by that point.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:43 am

I just looked at my FLAC rips from all of the CD sources that I have, and "Ready Steady Go" has a run time closer to the USA pressing that you listed the link for at the top of this thread. All 5 or 6 different ones were between 2:56-2:58 and not at the 3:03 that was listed on the UK pressing link.

The 1978 USA pressings look to be made at different pressing plants which is why I asked as I don't have any history on whether one plant was better than any other of them. Maybe patient_ot can chime back in on that.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:46 am

https://www.discogs.com/release/1360257 ... neration-X

What's the story with the Phil Wainman versions? It looks like that version of RSG is about the same time length as the UK pressings on this reissue, but what they called the original album is the same time as the USA pressings.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:48 am

version sound wrote:The original poster claimed that his copy of the US LP played noticeably faster, so this isn’t only based on the listed track times.

You'd have to time each song with a stopwatch to verify, or digitally record the LP, and then check it. Actually I might be able to do the latter if someone can do the same for the UK LP. I already have a digital recording of the US LP (not my work).
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:51 am

lewdd wrote:The 1978 USA pressings look to be made at different pressing plants which is why I asked as I don't have any history on whether one plant was better than any other of them. Maybe patient_ot can chime back in on that.

For a record like that, I would say condition is king unless you want to buy multiple copies and do your own comparisons. I think my personal copy may be an 80s repress on Chrysalis, but I'd have to double check. Whatever it is, it sounds good.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:05 pm

Not sure how accurate this information is, but it was an interesting read at least for me.

https://masterdisk.com/blog/2018/1/2/de ... 20a%20side.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:11 pm

Here's the tracklisting from a well-done needledrop of the US LP. Note the track times will never be exact, since NDs like this typically have gaps before and after songs trimmed out.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:17 pm

lewdd wrote:Not sure how accurate this information is, but it was an interesting read at least for me.

https://masterdisk.com/blog/2018/1/2/de ... 20a%20side.

Masterdisk is a long established mastering house. What they say about side times when cutting records is true. Kevin Gray and others will tell you the same thing. Ever wonder why a lot of older records contained less than 40 minutes of music? That is why.

A friend recently had a record done and I told him to intentionally limit it to ~18 min per side. He was also able to order a hot cut that way, which sounds better and has a better S/N ratio. Anything longer and it would have been a weaker cut and worse sounding LP.
patient_ot

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:46 pm

version sound wrote:The original poster claimed that his copy of the US LP played noticeably faster, so this isn’t only based on the listed track times.

I don't have much to add other than my anecdote that several songs on the original album were actually mixed with the tape machine running fast to juice the tempos a little (Kiss Me Deadly is the most obvious). Maybe that's what the person meant by playing faster? But it's not the pressing, it's the actual recording.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby patient_ot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:58 pm

scannest wrote:

I don't have much to add other than my anecdote that several songs on the original album were actually mixed with the tape machine running fast to juice the tempos a little (Kiss Me Deadly is the most obvious). Maybe that's what the person meant by playing faster? But it's not the pressing, it's the actual recording.

Right, there's a similar rumor that went around years ago (it was in a book I read in the 90s) about the first Damned LP, that it was "varispeeded" at the mix-down stage to make it sound more energetic.
patient_ot

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:08 pm

patient_ot wrote:Right, there's a similar rumor that went around years ago (it was in a book I read in the 90s) about the first Damned LP, that it was "varispeeded" at the mix-down stage to make it sound more energetic.

It's obvious if you try to play along. I refuse to believe they tuned to some semi-tone between C and C# for 'Kiss Me Deadly' on purpose...
;)
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby creature » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:04 pm

What's really vital here is ..... These songs fucking rule. Some of my all-time faves. That is all.
creature

Postby version sound » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:10 pm

This KMD is 4:36 and sounds like it’s in a different key than the 4:24 version on Apple Music:

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:22 pm

That is such a great song, and it was nowhere near what punk bands sounded like back then. That tempo was a bit revolutionary,
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:52 am

creature wrote:What's really vital here is ..... These songs fucking rule. Some of my all-time faves. That is all.

This. So much this.
JGJR

Postby creature » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:00 am

JGJR wrote:
creature wrote:What's really vital here is ..... These songs fucking rule. Some of my all-time faves. That is all.

This. So much this.

cheers! I went to Daybreak Records yesterday and grabbed a Radio Stars single. Stoked.
creature

Postby lewdd » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:19 am

Andy, which single? I bought the box set of CDs when it came out...https://www.discogs.com/release/1005405 ... de-The-Box

"Good Personality" and "Arthur Is Dead Boring" are my favorite tunes by them. I will admit I have not listened to the box set yet to see if I like any others. Those two songs were given to me on a mix tape back in high school and have been hits for me since. I think the Suburban Studs were on those tapes too. Another great band that not many know about in the USA.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:48 am

creature wrote:
JGJR wrote:

This. So much this.

cheers! I went to Daybreak Records yesterday and grabbed a Radio Stars single. Stoked.

Oh nice. I loved that place and meeting up with you and can't wait to get back there. I follow RJ on Instagram and he posts amazing stuff pretty much daily.
JGJR

Postby creature » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:02 pm

JGJR wrote:
creature wrote:
JGJR wrote:

This. So much this.

Oh nice. I loved that place and meeting up with you and can't wait to get back there. I follow RJ on Instagram and he posts amazing stuff pretty much daily.

Yeah, he had some stellar old UK punk stuff yesterday (and an unpriced box on the counter) and some solid metal today. That's a good spot! We've got a new place, Royal Records, happening as well.
creature

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:21 pm

creature wrote:
JGJR wrote:
creature wrote:
JGJR wrote:

This. So much this.

Yeah, he had some stellar old UK punk stuff yesterday (and an unpriced box on the counter) and some solid metal today. That's a good spot! We've got a new place, Royal Records, happening as well.

I'd love to check out that spot (Royal Records) next time, too. I think all the UK punk stuff is from the Tower collection he's been posting pics of in recent months if I had to guess.
JGJR

Postby prankrec » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:38 pm

The UK version is a far superior record, just played better and seems more focused.
I have both but never noticed it being sped up or anything, just the omission of tracks and a different song order and "Wild Dub".

I did buy some boot of Chiswick demos recently which the tracks HAVE circulates at varying speeds.
prankrec

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:11 am

prankrec wrote:The UK version is a far superior record, just played better and seems more focused.
I have both but never noticed it being sped up or anything, just the omission of tracks and a different song order and "Wild Dub".

The UK version is so much better that I bought a second copy instead of buying the US version.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse