Re-visitations. Episode 1. Einstürzende Neubauten "Kollaps"

Re-visitations. Episode 1. Einstürzende Neubauten "Kollaps"

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:04 am

Listened to this album start to finish last night for the first time in ages. I think it stands the test of time. On a good set of headphones, the textures of the compositions sound fantastic.
The various and not so random blasts of distortion/static noise run through some effects processors are just as disturbing as they were decades ago.
Really twisted and often painful album that I would always try to dissect and figure out how they got these sounds. An industrial music benchmark.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Re-visitations. Episode 1. Einstürzende Neubauten "Kolla

Postby patient_ot » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:00 pm

It's a classic. Haven't played it in awhile. They used a mix of real instruments, tools, and homemade instruments. IIRC they also did things like turning the power off and on in the studio and may have also used things like homemade contact mics. It sounds primitive to most people but if you pay attention it's fairly structured by nature compared to other early industrial projects.
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:01 pm

patient_ot wrote:I IIRC they also did things like turning the power off and on in the studio.

Stolen from Lou Reed?
Prolly.

But I still like the effect.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:11 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
patient_ot wrote:I IIRC they also did things like turning the power off and on in the studio.

Stolen from Lou Reed?
Prolly.

But I still like the effect.

Dunno. I guess you're thinking MMM there? Neubauten relied far more on tricks they learned from Z'EV. The reason Z'EV isn't as well remembered today is because he didn't make "songs" and most of his albums were basically live recordings with varied quality. Not all his stuff was documented either, especially early on. But as far as bashing on metal in the context of industrial music, he's arguably the most important.

Don't get me wrong, I like Neubauten a lot. I do get off the train after Tabula Rasa though.

I just find it funny that Neubauten bagged on Test Dept. in interviews, when the two bands sounded nothing alike, and I doubt NB ever gave any real credit to Z'EV.
patient_ot

Postby Knutsen » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:57 am

Einstürzende Neubauten in 1981 in Berlin was my 2nd ever show that I went to. I was 15 and deeply impressed and it motivated me a lot to make music myself. I‘ve seen EN about 10 times over the last 40 years, but could never come around to buy any records of the band. I enjoy the development the band took and their sense of humour and the quality of their live performances, but never felt the urge to buy a record of them and to listen to it at home.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby patient_ot » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:59 am

Knutsen wrote:Einstürzende Neubauten in 1981 in Berlin was my 2nd ever show that I went to. I was 15 and deeply impressed and it motivated me a lot to make music myself. I‘ve seen EN about 10 times over the last 40 years, but could never come around to buy any records of the band. I enjoy the development the band took and their sense of humour and the quality of their live performances, but never felt the urge to buy a record of them and to listen to it at home.

Seeing them live in their heyday must have been something. Never had a chance to see them. I think the studio catalog holds up pretty well, and after the first couple of albums, it's a lot more accessible than people might imagine.
patient_ot

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:02 am

:lol: :lol:
FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:38 am

FormerLurker wrote:

:lol: :lol:

That's my favorite 'song' on the album.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Update. I've just visited some of the band's more current music. I am not enthralled.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:29 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Update. I've just visited some of the band's more current music. I am not enthralled.

Their best stuff was from the 80s.
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:25 pm

patient_ot wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Update. I've just visited some of the band's more current music. I am not enthralled.

Yup. I liked the 'Halber Mensch' 12" and I thought 'Drawings of O.T.' was REALLY good. After that...they progressed, but I didn't.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:47 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
patient_ot wrote:

Yup. I liked the 'Halber Mensch' 12" and I thought 'Drawings of O.T.' was REALLY good. After that...they progressed, but I didn't.

Fuenf Auf Der Nach Oben Offenen Richterskala and Haus Der Luege are both solid IMHO. Different than the earlier stuff, but still great IMHO. Tabula Rasa is kind of a mixed bag and has grown on me over the years. Check out "Headcleaner" from that album as it's similar to their earlier sound.
patient_ot

Postby Knutsen » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:01 pm

patient_ot wrote:
Knutsen wrote:Einstürzende Neubauten in 1981 in Berlin was my 2nd ever show that I went to. I was 15 and deeply impressed and it motivated me a lot to make music myself. I‘ve seen EN about 10 times over the last 40 years, but could never come around to buy any records of the band. I enjoy the development the band took and their sense of humour and the quality of their live performances, but never felt the urge to buy a record of them and to listen to it at home.

Seeing them live in their heyday must have been something. Never had a chance to see them. I think the studio catalog holds up pretty well, and after the first couple of albums, it's a lot more accessible than people might imagine.

It was more of a really loud performance than a concert. I liked the noise, the intensity, the unpredictability and the total absence of anything like rock‘n roll, blues or folk back then.
Just the industrial depressive soundtrack for a grey city. We used to hang out at the Risiko, the bar that the EN run for few years. Just 2 bare rooms, a bar. Action started after 2 am. Elvis Presley blaring from the stereo and Nick Cave was selling beer in cans. Good times. My math test on Saturday was bound to fail anyway.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Return to daghouse