Unpopular Musical Opinions

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinions

Postby version sound » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:54 pm

kel wrote:Also edgy: Eric Clapton wasn't the guitar god as purported. Been listening to Hendrix more lately, honest work there.

The only thing Clapton ever did that I liked was the Blues Breakers record. Cream is ok, but never thrilled me all that much. Clapton solo is boring AF. There’s something very clinical about his playing. I guess that shouldn’t be surprising for a white racist playing the music of black people.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:35 pm

version sound wrote:
kel wrote:Also edgy: Eric Clapton wasn't the guitar god as purported. Been listening to Hendrix more lately, honest work there.

The only thing Clapton ever did that I liked was the Blues Breakers record. Cream is ok, but never thrilled me all that much. Clapton solo is boring AF. There’s something very clinical about his playing. I guess that shouldn’t be surprising for a white racist playing the music of black people.

I haven't heard this. What's evidence of his racism?

Edit: nevermind. I found the article about his drunken rant.
SamDBL

Postby lewdd » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:09 pm

Another article about Clapton recently - https://www.guitarworld.com/news/robert ... ic-clapton
lewdd

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinion

Postby SamDBL » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:17 pm

lewdd wrote:Another article about Clapton recently - https://www.guitarworld.com/news/robert ... ic-clapton

This stuff is less compelling to me. Which is why I questioned version’s initial statement. I just assumed that somehow his recent position on vaccine stuff had just been sloppily conflated with racism, somehow. That’s how this seems to go these days. But the 1975 rant, which he has recanted and apologized for, was a clear cut instance of racist sentiment, imo. I have no idea where he stands on those things now beyond him profusely apologizing for it over the last few decades. I guess, similarly to Morrissey, I’m not big enough of a fan or follower to dig any further and make a judgement as to whether he is sincere, or not.
SamDBL

Postby neutral knieval » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:06 pm

lay lady lay is dylans best song.
neutral knieval

Postby neutral knieval » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:11 pm

the beach boys had one good song
neutral knieval

Postby kel » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:13 pm

neutral knieval wrote:the beach boys had one good song

kel

Postby Knutsen » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:12 am

I only like Can I Say.
Got Wig out at Denkos, Field Day, Foor to the Floor and Majority of One too, but I consider those records not relevant for my musical entertainment.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Re: Unpopular Musical Opinion

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:13 am

SamDBL wrote:
lewdd wrote:Another article about Clapton recently - https://www.guitarworld.com/news/robert ... ic-clapton

This stuff is less compelling to me. Which is why I questioned version’s initial statement. I just assumed that somehow his recent position on vaccine stuff had just been sloppily conflated with racism, somehow. That’s how this seems to go these days. But the 1975 rant, which he has recanted and apologized for, was a clear cut instance of racist sentiment, imo. I have no idea where he stands on those things now beyond him profusely apologizing for it over the last few decades. I guess, similarly to Morrissey, I’m not big enough of a fan or follower to dig any further and make a judgement as to whether he is sincere, or not.

I agree that it is not worth much time. It is concerning when guys who have played Clapton Crossroads festivals numerous times for free to help raise money for Clapton's charities walk away from their friendship with the guy. Seems like there is more to the story that is not in the public domain.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:30 am

version sound wrote:

I like Cream, but not much else Clapton has done.

One of my friends is a big Mayall fan (and blues/blues rock fan in general) and has most of his albums. He sent me a later one from the early 90s and I was pleasantly surprised by it.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:22 am

Mayall - https://www.discogs.com/release/1725080 ... -1965-1974

I would not have thought there are enough fans out there that would want to buy this large of a box set.
lewdd

Postby target » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:39 am

Don’t like Clapton, but love JJ Cale
target

Postby version sound » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:17 pm

patient_ot wrote:One of my friends is a big Mayall fan (and blues/blues rock fan in general) and has most of his albums. He sent me a later one from the early 90s and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

It seems like Mayall was always very good at selecting guys to play with. Besides the record Clapton played on, there were also great ones with Peter Green and Mick Taylor.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:26 pm

target wrote:Don’t like Clapton, but love JJ Cale

Never heard of JJ Cale. Just read about him on wiki. His style sounds intriguing to me. I am going to have to check out his recordings.
lewdd

Postby target » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:44 pm

Enjoy Lewd — I think there is a good greatest hits out there. Super mellow. Traveling light and I’ll make love to you anytime are favorite tunes and his version of after midnight rules
target

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:33 pm

I did a quick listen to an anthology of 50 songs on Spotify. I like his guitar playing. Can't say that there was a song that stood out to me that I would want to listen to frequently. I think I may go and start from the beginning of his catalog and work my way forward. Lots of styles there. The obvious ones that covered his songs - Clapton, Skynyrd. I also hear some Dire Straits, Steely Dan, MS Hill Country guitar playing, Memphis Soul Blues, The Band, and probably many others if I listened a little more carefully. I think there may be something there that I am going to get to like.
lewdd

Postby kel » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Knutsen wrote:I only like Can I Say.
Got Wig out at Denkos, Field Day, Foor to the Floor and Majority of One too, but I consider those records not relevant for my musical entertainment.

Whether that's "unpopular" opinion or not, it wouldn't be uncommon: Those are really two completely different vibes.

Grover-muppet scream singing over Minor Threaty angular hardcore vs. smooth chorused and harmonized alt-rock of Field Day and Wig Out.

Four on the Floor was just a throwaway. Fun for a couple songs, but overall felt phoned-in.

Minority of One went even farther south/got preachy/lacked emotion.

(I'm a Field Day & Denko's adherent, don't really care as much for the first album and following ones.)
kel

Previous

Return to daghouse