SST Records book scoop

SST Records book scoop

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 am

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: SST Records book scoop

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:46 am

LMK after you read it. It's unauthorized so I am curious how much involvement if any there is with Ginn or even if there are excerpts from past interviews with him. I guess you can get one side of the story without him involved.
lewdd

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:54 am

The book will be great. Jim Ruland’s a good writer who researches things thoroughly. He’ll also have access to everybody but Ginn.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 am

I'll have to get this being just an SST Records geek.

There's a guy named Abe Gibson who had been working on an SST book for YEARS - tentatively titled The Blasting Concept. The guy spent ridiculous amounts of hours interviewing virtually everyone who ever appeared on an SST release. He did an interview on the You Don't Know Mojack podcast in their earlier days (the one on The Blasting Concept comp) but since that time, he apparently scrapped everything he did.

It's a shame. While I'm sure Ruland's book will be great - I'm sure it'll also focus on bands that have been written about endlessly. Gibson's book was going to dive deep into some of the lesser known bands, which I would have found more interesting, and really make up a huge part of the SST story.

It's also so strange how Ginn just seems to steadfastly refuse to discuss his own legacy. You rarely ever seen him interviewed. Gibson did befriend him at some point, and then fell out with him at some later point - he discusses it all on the Mojack interview.
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:12 pm

Jim Ruland and I have been messaging recently and according to him, he got 'buy in' from the SST people and said that they were 'co-operative'.

Should be interesting. He's also one of the best columnists for Razorcake.

I discovered him way before xxxHxxx did.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:50 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Jim Ruland and I have been messaging recently and according to him, he got 'buy in' from the SST people and said that they were 'co-operative'.

Is he related to Jeff Ruland?
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:30 pm

This could be good if it's honest and not super biased (either way). There were two books written about Lookout, one was by Larry and the other was not. Larry is a good/funny writer but didn't address some of his behaviors/actions and he often employed a "stuff happened, I was too drunk or high to remember" stance, which was kinda lame, the other book was more based on fact and details and had interviews with owners and got really brutally honest at times, which is what we needed. They both were good for different reasons and painted a similar but different picture.
I can see this book doing the same thing. I'm sure Ginn is 100% dickface, but I think he most likely has a lot of 'splaining to do.

Of course, I will judge it's value by if it includes an itemized discography with accurate pressing information (color pressing information in particular).

In the early 90s I was at Vinyl Ink in Maryland the day the record store just got a massive complete reorder of every STT record on color vinyl (had that cheesy COLOR VINYL hype sticker). My friend was going to re-buy a Descendent record and I told him "You fucking idiot, buy something that we DON'T have already, we need new music not colored vinyl music". I ended up buying a BOUNCING BABIES test pressing for $20 that visit.
FlexMyHead

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:42 pm

I just don't give a shit about this anymore.
FormerLurker

Postby drew » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:58 pm

I was looking forward to the Abe Gibson project, it sucks he trashed all that work.

I don’t care about Ginns perspective anymore, he’s an asshole and I’m sure his weed-soaked brain remembers things WAY differently than they actually happened.

I don’t think I need more SST history.
drew

Postby tad ghostal » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:08 am

The Abe Gibson book is coming out. I believe there was an issue with his original publisher but he signed on with a new publisher this year, so there will be 2 books on SST coming out next year.

http://www.diwulf.com/news/2021/4/16/di ... st-records
tad ghostal

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:28 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Jim Ruland and I have been messaging recently and according to him, he got 'buy in' from the SST people and said that they were 'co-operative'.

Yeah, Jim mentioned that you’d been messaging him. He asked me to pass the following along to you:
"P.S. xxxMidgexxx! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!"
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby captain2man » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:39 am

tad ghostal wrote:The Abe Gibson book is coming out. I believe there was an issue with his original publisher but he signed on with a new publisher this year, so there will be 2 books on SST coming out next year.

http://www.diwulf.com/news/2021/4/16/di ... st-records

I'm glad to hear this is still happening. Thanks for sharing.
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:48 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Yeah, Jim mentioned that you’d been messaging him. He asked me to pass the following along to you:
"P.S. xxxMidgexxx! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!"

Y' know. You should really be nice to me. I was the one who convinced Microcosm Publishing to do your book. They originally thought you were not a very good author.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse