Daghouse Records nerds

Daghouse Records nerds

Postby Nico » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:49 am

What are the prices for new vinyl looking like in the USA? Here in Europe it has risen with roughly 10 dollars in the time span of a year. I sort of came to the conclusion to just stop buying anything new. It sort of sucks the joy out of record digging for me.

Also someone sell/trade me a Field Day Giant promo/test press, Four On The Floor test press and All Ages test press.
Nico

Re: Daghouse Records nerds

Postby drew » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:45 am

The new Iron Maiden album is $50 for the vinyl. Shits getting crazy
drew

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:59 am

Prices are all over the place depending on what titles you are talking about. You can go to a punk distro like Havoc and see loads of records for under $20 a pop. They even have some 12''s/LPs as low as $8 a pop.

Go to a typical record store or online shop and a lot of new vinyl is in the $25-35 range. Audiophile pressings are typically $35-60 a pop MSRP, with certain releases being over $100 a pop (e.g. One Step/UHQR). Sometimes things get discounted or stores run sales.

FWIW I made the decision awhile back to cut down on new vinyl purchases. The last couple of things I purchased were an audiophile jazz reissue and a record a friend put out. Most of my vinyl purchases when I do buy are old/used stuff. I'm at the point where I'm running out of room for vinyl and physical music in general (currently at 1500+ LPs and 4500+ CDs) so I have to be more selective with my purchases going forward.

Unlike many people I don't get overly excited about every new release coming out and I have no interest in duplicating every single album I own on multiple formats.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:16 am

I'm running out of room too which is why I am selling CDs and albums to make room for buying other items.
lewdd

Postby drew » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:21 pm

I sold a bunch of vinyl and decluttered a lot of cds and I still have too much of each.

Some vinyl is nostalgia and memory and that’s it. CDs are more of a backup in some cases and wanting the liner notes and artwork while saving some $$ in others. I’m really getting to a point where I’m going to stop on physical releases.
drew

Postby the mean » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:15 am

Honestly, I'll never stop. I'm currently in the process of (finally) putting my stuff into discogs. I never sell anything, so I've been surprised at how much some of these are worth.
the mean

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:32 am

the mean wrote:Honestly, I'll never stop. I'm currently in the process of (finally) putting my stuff into discogs. I never sell anything, so I've been surprised at how much some of these are worth.

When I was starting to pack up my CD collection in advance of our move to PA, I was logging them into Discogs as I was boxing them up. That is what got me started so if something happened during the move, I could file an insurance claim and rebuild what I could of the collection. Since then, I have been diligent about entering them into Discogs as I get new albums, CDs, etc. If they are not on Discogs, I keep them in a spreadsheet and a few times a year I will go recheck to see if they are on Discogs. That has whittled the list down to about a third of what it was six years ago.
lewdd

Postby the mean » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:58 am

lewdd wrote:
the mean wrote:Honestly, I'll never stop. I'm currently in the process of (finally) putting my stuff into discogs. I never sell anything, so I've been surprised at how much some of these are worth.

When I was starting to pack up my CD collection in advance of our move to PA, I was logging them into Discogs as I was boxing them up. That is what got me started so if something happened during the move, I could file an insurance claim and rebuild what I could of the collection. Since then, I have been diligent about entering them into Discogs as I get new albums, CDs, etc. If they are not on Discogs, I keep them in a spreadsheet and a few times a year I will go recheck to see if they are on Discogs. That has whittled the list down to about a third of what it was six years ago.

I never paused buying records. I was surprised (because I never really thought about it) by the value of the records from the 5-10 popular bands that I kept buying in the late 90s / early 2000s. I guess the vinyl was super limited, but I would just grab a copy when it was released.
the mean

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:16 am

Most of my vinyl collection was bought in the last six years. I had been buying CD's from the early 90s on. I still buy CD box sets mostly of Captain Oi! reissues.
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:35 pm

Here is what Discog says about my extensive collection of Gutwrench records.
They are worth way more and this is a travesty!

FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:06 pm

interesting price on that split with sleeper
lewdd

Postby drew » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:08 pm

lewdd wrote:Most of my vinyl collection was bought in the last six years. I had been buying CD's from the early 90s on. I still buy CD box sets mostly of Captain Oi! reissues.

I really like the GBH box. Their best three albums and a live one.
drew

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:43 pm

drew wrote:
lewdd wrote:Most of my vinyl collection was bought in the last six years. I had been buying CD's from the early 90s on. I still buy CD box sets mostly of Captain Oi! reissues.

I listened to those three albums a lot in middle school and high school.
lewdd

Postby drew » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:29 am

lewdd wrote:
drew wrote:

Hell yea! I bought it mainly for nostalgia but stated for the Punk Rawk!
I might grab the Cock Sparrer box because I only know the first two albums.
drew

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:34 am

GBH and Cock Sparrer both have two boxes. I am pretty sure I have ever box set that Captain Oi! has put out in the last 5 years.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:11 am

lewdd wrote:
drew wrote:

I just found out a couple of years ago, through a post by Larry May on Facebook, that my sister went up to DC to see GBH with those guys (unbeknownst to me or my parents) in the mid ‘80s (most likely 1986). Anyone else at that show? I’m curious who the openers were. My sister won’t remember.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:02 am

Possibly GBH, Agnostic Front, and Half Life

https://hardcoreshowflyers.net/?p=23660
lewdd

Return to daghouse