7 Seconds reunion scoop

7 Seconds reunion scoop

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:43 pm

Playing with Circle Jerks and Negative Approach here in Philly on 4/9/2022.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: 7 Seconds reunion scoop

Postby the mean » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:46 pm

gregpolard wrote:Playing with Circle Jerks and Negative Approach here in Philly on 4/9/2022.

Is this what broke facebook?
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:47 pm

i'd like to think so.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:50 pm

:shock: soooooo, can I assume they'll be added to the Boston and DC dates too? (4/7, 4/16)
Hal

Postby jaybird » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:52 pm

Didn't they have some big, dramatic/official retirement announcement like a year ago? :lol:
jaybird

Postby matt » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:56 pm

jaybird wrote:Didn't they have some big, dramatic/official retirement announcement like a year ago? :lol:

Damn flip-floppers.
matt
Site Admin

Postby SamDBL » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:57 pm

jaybird wrote:Didn't they have some big, dramatic/official retirement announcement like a year ago? :lol:

I saw Kevin posted a selfie while working at what looked to be an Amazon warehouse. I’m sure after a few months of that, show offers start looking real pretty.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:59 pm

Some joke about George Constanza showing up to work after quitting and pretending it didn’t happen after realizing he needed the job.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:00 pm

Hal - it looks like it! the email I got from bandsintown is a whole poster of dates and looks like it's all 3 bands except for maybe Canada.

As for the retirement stuff : they made the announcement in 2018 and I remember even then thinking it was odd because it basically came down to Steve Youth having some personal problems? I wasn't sure why they couldn't just quietly go on a hiatus and then come back when things got better, which it looks like they're doing. I'm here for it though!
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:05 pm

SamDBL wrote:

I saw Kevin posted a selfie while working at what looked to be an Amazon warehouse. I’m sure after a few months of that, show offers start looking real pretty.

:lol:
jaybird

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:06 pm

SamDBL wrote:Some joke about George Constanza showing up to work after quitting and pretending it didn’t happen after realizing he needed the job.

and then showing up at another job and starting working before they even made a decision about whether or not they were going to hire him...
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:20 pm

SamDBL wrote:I saw Kevin posted a selfie while working at what looked to be an Amazon warehouse. I’m sure after a few months of that, show offers start looking real pretty.

I realize that this is just a cheap dig at a good guy, but both Steve and Troy had health problems, which is why they stopped playing.
Last edited by the mean on Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the mean

Postby lewdd » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:21 pm

the mean wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Playing with Circle Jerks and Negative Approach here in Philly on 4/9/2022.

Is this what broke facebook?

I'm guessing a government broke faceplace
lewdd

Postby Hal » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:24 pm

gregpolard wrote:Hal - it looks like it! the email I got from bandsintown is a whole poster of dates and looks like it's all 3 bands except for maybe Canada.

Hell yes! Thanks.
Hal

Postby SamDBL » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:01 pm

the mean wrote:
SamDBL wrote:I saw Kevin posted a selfie while working at what looked to be an Amazon warehouse. I’m sure after a few months of that, show offers start looking real pretty.

I realize that this is just a cheap dig at a good guy, but both Steve and Troy had health problems, which is why they stopped playing.

You're misreading. Most of us (life long musicians) are in the exact same, unskilled boat. So I'm not making fun of anyone. To your second point, 7 Seconds didn't 'stop playing'. They officially disbanded. Which, as others mentioned, lead me to believe there was more to the decision than just some temporary rough times for band members. I can't tell you how many musicians I know in these mid level bands that don't exactly love the genre of music they play, or the thought of getting on the road for months away from family, or are just burned out. But the alternative of a shitty, low level day job keeps them going. Didn't the guy from jawbreaker say he was looking at dog walking jobs before finally caving to a reunion? Not a dig at all. Just reality. The musicians in bands that can stay retired (ie working a crummy day job while they have a financially lucrative band just sitting there getting offers) are the exceptions, not the norm.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:20 pm

SamDBL wrote:
the mean wrote:

You're misreading. Most of us (life long musicians) are in the exact same, unskilled boat. So I'm not making fun of anyone. To your second point, 7 Seconds didn't 'stop playing'. They officially disbanded. Which, as others mentioned, lead me to believe there was more to the decision than just some temporary rough times for band members. I can't tell you how many musicians I know in these mid level bands that don't exactly love the genre of music they play, or the thought of getting on the road for months away from family, or are just burned out. But the alternative of a shitty, low level day job keeps them going. Didn't the guy from jawbreaker say he was looking at dog walking jobs before finally caving to a reunion? Not a dig at all. Just reality. The musicians in bands that can stay retired (ie working a crummy day job while they have a financially lucrative band just sitting there getting offers) are the exceptions, not the norm.

He (Blake) did. His quote was something like "I can't believe what I couldn't get" job-wise and that was after he'd spent more than a decade as an adjunct at Hunter (part of CUNY here) teaching English iirc.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:58 pm

I'd prefer they slip some Ourselves/New Wind stuff over 100% The Crew set list, but all 7 Seconds is good 7 Seconds to me. Glad to support them if they swing by Floriduh. Last time I saw them here was in Orlando at the Backstage and it was mainly their faster stuff, which was so fast it was almost a blur. I think that is what they thought the kids wanted and maybe it was.

Also, I remember giving to a Go Fund Me for Steve's rehab or something that Kevin started for his family or him at some point, so I think it was out there that they had struggles that made it difficult to be a functioning band.
FlexMyHead

Postby garth » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:01 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I'd prefer they slip some Ourselves/New Wind stuff over 100% The Crew set list, but all 7 Seconds is good 7 Seconds to me. Glad to support them if they swing by Floriduh. Last time I saw them here was in Orlando at the Backstage and it was mainly their faster stuff, which was so fast it was almost a blur. I think that is what they thought the kids wanted and maybe it was.

Also, I remember giving to a Go Fund Me for Steve's rehab or something that Kevin started for his family or him at some point, so I think it was out there that they had struggles that made it difficult to be a functioning band.

Was that ‘05? I was there. Think Champion and Briggs also played. Got to make awkward small talk with Kevin prior to the show.

Also saw 7 seconds a couple years later at Fest.
garth

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:38 pm

SamDBL wrote:Some joke about George Constanza showing up to work after quitting and pretending it didn’t happen after realizing he needed the job.

:lol:
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:19 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I'd prefer they slip some Ourselves/New Wind stuff over 100% The Crew set list, but all 7 Seconds is good 7 Seconds to me.

Winner winner (tempeh) chicken dinner. Especially New Wind; that's been my favorite 7 Seconds album for quite a while now, though as a kid, it was all about the early 7"s, The Crew, Old School (my favorite of that bunch), and WTRT.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:01 am

Their last few albums have some songs that have a tempo in the middle of the early era and the New Wind era. I wouldn't care of they didn't play anything from Praise or Ourselves.
lewdd

Postby drew » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:48 am

lewdd wrote:Their last few albums have some songs that have a tempo in the middle of the early era and the New Wind era. I wouldn't care of they didn't play anything from Praise or Ourselves.

They def won’t play anything from Praise or Ourselves........

I know there is no such thing as a band breaking-up forever but 7Secs actually did it in a great way that suited Kev and his place in music.......but of course they are already back!
You needed money? Really? What made you think you never were going to need money? Too funny.
drew

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:05 am

SamDBL wrote:You're misreading. Most of us (life long musicians) are in the exact same, unskilled boat. So I'm not making fun of anyone. To your second point, 7 Seconds didn't 'stop playing'. They officially disbanded. Which, as others mentioned, lead me to believe there was more to the decision than just some temporary rough times for band members. I can't tell you how many musicians I know in these mid level bands that don't exactly love the genre of music they play, or the thought of getting on the road for months away from family, or are just burned out. But the alternative of a shitty, low level day job keeps them going. Didn't the guy from jawbreaker say he was looking at dog walking jobs before finally caving to a reunion? Not a dig at all. Just reality. The musicians in bands that can stay retired (ie working a crummy day job while they have a financially lucrative band just sitting there getting offers) are the exceptions, not the norm.

I would have loved for one of my bands to have become my livelihood. In retrospect, I'm glad that none of my bands was ever able to sustain me for even a year - because - if I had ever found myself in that position - I would have given up my job to do it. I'm sure we all know plenty of people who never "made it" for a life time, but "made it" for a year or so and then probably found themselves in a rough spot. I'm now 25 years into a career where I'll have a nice pension when I retire and all sorts of great benefits - that I probably would have completely thrown away for a brief experience of living the life as a working musician.

I almost wish I hadn't seen that Damned documentary that came out a few years ago. While I'm sure that those guys still derive enjoyment from doing the band - the fact is - they also have no choice. They have been able to sustain a full career through their adult lives by doing that band - but it sounds like they never made quite enough to ever actually retire at some point - and so they're pretty much stuck on the road. This is why I can never fault a guy like Steve Diggle from continuing to do the Buzzcocks. To some fans, they're just a band that should have called it quits when Pete Shelley died. But to Diggle - this is his employment. The guy has to live. I hope he's been smart with the money he's made....but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't enough for him to life the rest of his life out in a comfortable way, taking care of his family, wanting to leave something behind, and had any available options to make as much as he does continuing to do the band.
captain2man

Postby SamDBL » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:40 am

captain2man wrote:
SamDBL wrote:You're misreading. Most of us (life long musicians) are in the exact same, unskilled boat. So I'm not making fun of anyone. To your second point, 7 Seconds didn't 'stop playing'. They officially disbanded. Which, as others mentioned, lead me to believe there was more to the decision than just some temporary rough times for band members. I can't tell you how many musicians I know in these mid level bands that don't exactly love the genre of music they play, or the thought of getting on the road for months away from family, or are just burned out. But the alternative of a shitty, low level day job keeps them going. Didn't the guy from jawbreaker say he was looking at dog walking jobs before finally caving to a reunion? Not a dig at all. Just reality. The musicians in bands that can stay retired (ie working a crummy day job while they have a financially lucrative band just sitting there getting offers) are the exceptions, not the norm.

I would have loved for one of my bands to have become my livelihood. In retrospect, I'm glad that none of my bands was ever able to sustain me for even a year - because - if I had ever found myself in that position - I would have given up my job to do it. I'm sure we all know plenty of people who never "made it" for a life time, but "made it" for a year or so and then probably found themselves in a rough spot. I'm now 25 years into a career where I'll have a nice pension when I retire and all sorts of great benefits - that I probably would have completely thrown away for a brief experience of living the life as a working musician.

I almost wish I hadn't seen that Damned documentary that came out a few years ago. While I'm sure that those guys still derive enjoyment from doing the band - the fact is - they also have no choice. They have been able to sustain a full career through their adult lives by doing that band - but it sounds like they never made quite enough to ever actually retire at some point - and so they're pretty much stuck on the road. This is why I can never fault a guy like Steve Diggle from continuing to do the Buzzcocks. To some fans, they're just a band that should have called it quits when Pete Shelley died. But to Diggle - this is his employment. The guy has to live. I hope he's been smart with the money he's made....but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't enough for him to life the rest of his life out in a comfortable way, taking care of his family, wanting to leave something behind, and had any available options to make as much as he does continuing to do the band.

100% right.
SamDBL

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:42 pm

An interesting topic I have spent a fair amount of time contemplating. I often wonder how things would have been different if I had fully committed to music. I did one tour with Sleeper and...that was it. Found myself making good money soon thereafter in the insurance industry and basically never looked back. I know a number of people who committed to music full time, but the majority of them are fortunate enough to have a monetary back stop (primarily a spouse who is the primary breadwinner). I don't know many who could make it on music alone.
It's a young person's game. Watching your idols fight and scratch to eek out a living in their latter years is no fun.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:42 pm

In general I think Captain2Man is spot on, but didn't Captain Sensible make a shit pot full of money with "Happy Talk" and some of his other pop hits back in the day.

Look at poor Mick Jagger, every time he has another kid he has to get the band back together to go out on tour to open a new trust fund. :lol:

It was also nice to see Kevin Seconds continuing to write music after the 7 Seconds band breakup. Maybe it was a way of grieving for him.
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:03 pm

7 Seconds is a great band made up of great dudes. And the line up is more or less original. I am quite glad to see them back. However, I was also glad to see them break up. I thought maybe besides the health issues, that the dudes had just become more content in other areas of life playing other kinds of music and that they were able to financially pull it off. It was nice to see a band go out in a dignified manner if, indeed, that’s what they wanted to do. Like, they were successful enough to have that option. Which was a nice thought. But no.
I think the real problem for so many musicians is that they start these bands at age 15, or whatever… build these fan bases through grass roots… and, if lucky, are able to make it into a sustainable, long term business. However, not everyone *loves* playing or listening to the same kind of music they did at 15. I know this from discussions with members of bands like Obituary and Agnostic Front (just to name a couple). They would love to continue making that living playing music they are more connected to at this stage in life. Maybe with different people, just for a change. But it’s not that easy. Those fans don’t just follow you to your next phase, usually. And so they are just stuck in the rut of being in this thing that is kind of a drag. But at least you get to be your own boss, to some degree. And probably make more money doing less than you would at whatever job you can manage to get just joining the work force at age 45, or whatever.
And now, of course with streaming being the dominant culture, there is the added stress of *never* being able to let up on touring. Which gets harder and harder the older you get.
SamDBL

Postby captain2man » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:40 pm

Sam - I hear what you're saying about 7 Seconds, although it's arguable if their breakout was dignified. From Kevin's point of view, it did feel that way. But if you're Steve or Troy - maybe not so much. Troy's health and his wife's passing were made public as were Steve's addictions. This upcoming tour could help bury whatever demons the members of that band may have and put a very nice bow on an incredible career.

Interesting point about musicians perhaps getting stuck playing music they've grown well beyond. Perhaps Kevin, at this stage, would prefer to be a successful troubadour of sorts. But I think another person on this upcoming tour - John Brannon - might be a perfect example of what you're saying. While Kevin did do other things in his musical career, it always was in the background of 7 Seconds who more or less were continuously active going back to 1980.

But here's John Brannon, who put Negative Approach to bed after two years and a discography that takes probably less than 40 minutes to play, and genuinely branches out into very different bands like Laughing Hyenas (who lasted a decade and put out four records) or Easy Action....but in the end, which fans are coming out to help pay the mortgage? The band that broke-up by the time he was 22 or 23 and had like 20 songs.

These guys are pushing 60 if they're not there already, and I guess touring and playing music is better than killing your knees in a warehouse.
captain2man

Postby jaybird » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:09 pm

captain2man wrote:Sam - I hear what you're saying about 7 Seconds, although it's arguable if their breakout was dignified. From Kevin's point of view, it did feel that way. But if you're Steve or Troy - maybe not so much. Troy's health and his wife's passing were made public as were Steve's addictions. This upcoming tour could help bury whatever demons the members of that band may have and put a very nice bow on an incredible career.

Interesting point about musicians perhaps getting stuck playing music they've grown well beyond. Perhaps Kevin, at this stage, would prefer to be a successful troubadour of sorts. But I think another person on this upcoming tour - John Brannon - might be a perfect example of what you're saying. While Kevin did do other things in his musical career, it always was in the background of 7 Seconds who more or less were continuously active going back to 1980.

But here's John Brannon, who put Negative Approach to bed after two years and a discography that takes probably less than 40 minutes to play, and genuinely branches out into very different bands like Laughing Hyenas (who lasted a decade and put out four records) or Easy Action....but in the end, which fans are coming out to help pay the mortgage? The band that broke-up by the time he was 22 or 23 and had like 20 songs.

These guys are pushing 60 if they're not there already, and I guess touring and playing music is better than killing your knees in a warehouse.

Brannon makes a pretty good burger

http://www.trafficjamdetroit.com/
jaybird

Postby lewdd » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:29 pm

jaybird wrote:Brannon makes a pretty good burger

http://www.trafficjamdetroit.com/

Is it as good as Kuma's in Chicago?
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:32 pm

captain2man wrote:Sam - I hear what you're saying about 7 Seconds, although it's arguable if their breakout was dignified. From Kevin's point of view, it did feel that way. But if you're Steve or Troy - maybe not so much. Troy's health and his wife's passing were made public as were Steve's addictions. This upcoming tour could help bury whatever demons the members of that band may have and put a very nice bow on an incredible career.

Indeed. I thought the troubadour thing was a really nice way for some of these guys to 'retire', or at least do things at a less hectic, less demanding pace without throwing in the towel all together. But it doesn't seem like the market is quite there for it to bridge the gap and make ends meet. I think Kevin, who has always been the driving force in the band creatively, probably hoped to grow 7 Seconds beyond the 1-2 hardcore band they started as. Hence, albums like Ourselves and Soulforce. And even Drop Acid. But, while that is my personal favorite stuff they did, it was not what their fans, en masse, wanted to show up for. I think the same was true for Roger as he totally got into the more Oi side of things with the Disasters. But, I think his quote to me was "I AF train just keeps rolling and I can't get off".
Part of me wants to blame the simplistic side of the majority of the hardcore/punk audience. As deep-thinking and 'smart' as they'd like to think they are... as a whole, they are just as caught up in cheap nostalgia and the simple pleasure of pumping their fists in the air and singing along to choruses as the most generic rock or rap fan. But really, it's just simple math. From a marketing aspect, if you are lucky and/or astute enough to build a brand that catches on and then spend 15 years relentlessly pushing it by touring and putting out records, how could one possibly hope for some new thing you just whipped up to have even near the same fan base anytime soon. You haven't put in the time, and who the fuck knows if you'd be as lucky as before if you did.
There are always exceptions. Like Ian MacKaye. Seems like everything he touches turns to gold, regardless of how different Fugazi sounded from Minor Threat. And of course, he's always got Dischord as a buffer between projects.
Anyway, hopefully no one takes this as me slagging 7 Seconds. Kevin is one of the most genuine guys of all of the 'legends' I've met. I wish them all the best. Ironically, my first punk show was *almost* 7 Seconds opening for Circle Jerks. But I couldn't make it. So my first show ended up being Dr. Know opening for Circle Jerks like a month later.
Last edited by SamDBL on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamDBL

Postby lewdd » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:44 pm

I ran into the band sans Kevin in the Vegas airport after PRB one year and stopped for a minute to say hi and tell them how much I enjoyed their set. They seemed so happy to hear someone tell them that. Sorta like the kid who plays his first show. I may have to go see them again even if it means having to suffer thru Negative Approach for the 3rd time in the last 15 years or so.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:43 am

Scooped up my tickets for Irving Plaza. NYC

TY to Aquaman who tipped me off to the presale code! Decent price. GA.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:47 am

See you there Midge.
captain2man

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:20 am

I'm hoping they drop a Sacto warmup show in here.
the mean

Postby lewdd » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:22 am

If it was a weekend, I would have considered going to NYC for the show. I am leaning toward the weekend show in Philly or a show in Nashville on my way back from Mississippi.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:35 am

captain2man wrote:See you there Midge.

YAY!!
:D
xxxMidgexxx

Postby kel » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:53 pm

SamDBL wrote:I think the real problem for so many musicians is that they start these bands at age 15, or whatever… build these fan bases through grass roots… and, if lucky, are able to make it into a sustainable, long term business. However, not everyone *loves* playing or listening to the same kind of music they did at 15. I know this from discussions with members of bands like Obituary and Agnostic Front (just to name a couple). They would love to continue making that living playing music they are more connected to at this stage in life.

And then there's the Goo Goo Dolls.

Talk about a curvebreaker to the above truths. They went hard from Jed's punk to absolute Mom-rock romcom movie soundtrack cuts.
For that matter, they come up on mom's Pandora shuffle-station side by side with Ed Sheeran and Train.

(And yes, I realize they didn't take their Jed-to-Hold Me Up fans with them for the most part, they reinvented, blew out their hollywood hair, dressed better, and kept the band name.)

But 7 Seconds, glad to hear they're back. I mentioned once I was talking to Kevin before a show where he admitted he still threw up with stage fright before most every gig. That's more throat bile over his career than full blown bulimia. I hope he's kicked that by now, or he'll have 100% natural Accused-vocal styling.
kel

Postby lewdd » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:06 am

Hold Me Up is an underrated album. One of my faves of my early 20's
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 am

garth wrote:[

Was that ‘05? I was there. Think Champion and Briggs also played. Got to make awkward small talk with Kevin prior to the show.

Yeah it was! It was at Backbooth not Backstage, I'm a dummy. Found a video online...

All small talk with bands is awkward, at least for me.

FlexMyHead

Postby Marc M » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:57 pm

Bummed that the Adolescents aren't playing the Dallas CJ show I've had tickets to for the last two years, but if there was ever a great surprise replacement, it's 7 Seconds. So pumped for this.
Marc M

Return to daghouse