Do you currently own Nirvana’s “Nevermind”?

Do you currently own Nirvana’s “Nevermind”?

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:20 pm

And if so, on what format? I’m betting Greg owns multiple copies.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Do you currently own Nirvana’s “Nevermind”?

Postby target » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:57 pm

Which aged better, Nevermind or Liw End Theory?
target

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:14 pm

Ever since I'm a paid subscriber to Spotify, I own EVERYTHING.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:36 pm

Have Nevermind on cd. It’s in a crate with lots of other cds that I haven’t had the balls to declutter.
drew

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:38 pm

I have the 1991 CD and the 2011 2CD. I will probably buy the 30th anniversary vinyl.
lewdd

Postby drew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:40 pm

target wrote:Which aged better, Nevermind or Liw End Theory?

Low End Theory. All ATCQ records are in regular rotation on the stereo.

If I want Nirvana I go str8 for Unplugged.
drew

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:41 pm

drew wrote:

Unplugged sounds pretty good on vinyl on the 2LP 25th Anniversary version.
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:50 pm

Yes-OG CD.

Ask me sometime about how I played on the same bill with Grohl right before In Utero came out. True story :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:53 pm

Low End Theory

For the record (no pun intended), I haven’t owned a copy of Nevermind since the ‘90s.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:54 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Yes-OG CD.

Ask me sometime about how I played on the same bill with Grohl right before In Utero came out. True story :lol:

With what band (that goes for both of you)?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:35 am

My CD copies of Nevermind and Incesticide were stolen out of my car like 5 years ago... never bothered to replace them... my copies of Green fields in Daylight and Shadows & Ghosts by the Nils were stolen in the same grab... I did replace those.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:59 am

I think both have aged quite well and they're 2 of my favorite albums of the '90s, but as I get older, I gravitate more towards Midnight Marauders whereas I still think that Nevermind is the best of Nirvana's 3 studio albums, so I'd go with Nevermind. I've also been obsessed with it (and Nirvana in general) lately and have been going through a major rediscovery/appreciation phase so I've picked up Bleach and Unplugged in New York on vinyl recently and found the latter on CD for a buck the other day, but have yet to come across a copy of Nevermind (to answer the question of VS, the original poster). I had a CD copy, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 am

lewdd wrote:
drew wrote:

Unplugged sounds pretty good on vinyl on the 2LP 25th Anniversary version.

https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-MTV-Unp ... e/14339535

This one? I think the Target version that I have uses the same master (Pallas) as they both came out in 2019 and I think it sounds phenomenal; really exceeded my expectations tbh.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:33 am

Yes. I have the CD and I have not listened to it in at least 20 years.
Last edited by pedro on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 am

JGJR, yes, that is the vinyl copy I have of Unplugged
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:44 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Ever since I'm a paid subscriber to Spotify, I own EVERYTHING.

:lol:
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:58 am

SamDBL wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Ever since I'm a paid subscriber to Spotify, I own EVERYTHING.

Must say I agree. I have a Spotify subscription, too, but l view it as renting and not owning.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:14 am

I have:

An OGish CD
A 1991 cassette
A 2009 Pressing of the vinyl (I bought this before I even started buying records again - initially just to frame)
Recent Target Silver pressing vinyl

Will be buying:

The upcoming 8LP version next year

Will possibly consider:

The 4LP version from 2011 (has the Vig demos and all IIRC) if I can find for a decent price
The 2LP version coming in November, just cause

This and "Automatic for the People" are easily my most listened to albums of all time. Probably both tied for my favorite album.

This, coupled with the fact that I had a pumpkin iced coffee today solidifies me as a basic B. lol
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:20 am

gregpolard wrote:I have:

An OGish CD
A 1991 cassette
A 2009 Pressing of the vinyl (I bought this before I even started buying records again - initially just to frame)
Recent Target Silver pressing vinyl

Will be buying:

The upcoming 8LP version next year

Will possibly consider:

The 4LP version from 2011 (has the Vig demos and all IIRC) if I can find for a decent price
The 2LP version coming in November, just cause

This and "Automatic for the People" are easily my most listened to albums of all time. Probably both tied for my favorite album.

This, coupled with the fact that I had a pumpkin iced coffee today solidifies me as a basic B. lol

I'm so excited that it was so cold earlier this morning that I had to throw on a hoodie and change from shorts to pants today, so I am here for that fall energy. Those might be super popular albums, but they're 2 of the best, of course.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:30 am

I try to hold off on the switch from shorts to pants until Thanksgiving time. A lot of things in my life switch from Thanksgiving to Easter time periods - clothing, beers, grilling to name a few
lewdd

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:32 am

I still have my original CD. Wish I had kept the longbox.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am

scannest wrote:I still have my original CD. Wish I had kept the longbox.

It's nuts how much CDs still in those longboxes go for now. Who'd have thought??
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:04 am

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Must say I agree. I have a Spotify subscription, too, but l view it as renting and not owning.

Why isn’t Samhain on Spotify, btw? Anyone else notice this?
SamDBL

Postby Knutsen » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:49 am

No, and I never owned anything from Nirvana.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby the mean » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:30 pm

I have this on vinyl.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:57 pm

I have the CD but I think it was the Columbia House one or whatever the fuck the other one was, pretty sure I ordered it as Mr. Henri Rullins or Ion Mickaye or whatever else my dumb drunk ass thought was funny in college. No idea how those fuckers made any money.
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:02 pm

For the hell of it, I listened to 'Nevermind' at the gym today. Either my headphones are starting to get worn out or this album doesn't sound as sonically fabulous as I remember it sounding.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Markonomicon » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:55 pm

Original and 2 CD 20th Anniversary.
Markonomicon

Postby Gary » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:43 am

Still have the lp from 91 or whatever
Gary

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:18 am

This sounds really good on vinyl too - https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Nirvana/release/7807206
lewdd

Postby Dinko » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:38 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:For the hell of it, I listened to 'Nevermind' at the gym today. Either my headphones are starting to get worn out or this album doesn't sound as sonically fabulous as I remember it sounding.

It's your ears and your memory, gramps.

And no, have never owned it.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:17 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:For the hell of it, I listened to 'Nevermind' at the gym today. Either my headphones are starting to get worn out or this album doesn't sound as sonically fabulous as I remember it sounding.

Can I tell the story, Midge? Please?
Okay, we were mixing the first Sleeper record. The engineer/studio owner had a friend over and was telling said friend how terrible he thought NEVERMIND sounded. We (maybe just you?) were so offended by his opinion that we (you?) told him, in front of his friend, "If you don't think NEVERMIND sounds amazing, maybe we shouldn't have you mixing our record!" It was said half-jokingly, but when his friend left he freaked out and asked that we take his name off the record, as well as the name of the studio. Then he left us alone to essentially mix the thing by ourselves, only coming in to the control room if we had a technical question. Good times.
If I am mis-remembering things, please feel free to correct. Maybe it wasn't a friend but a potential client he was talking with?
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 am

scannest wrote:

Okay, we were mixing the first Sleeper record. The engineer/studio owner had a friend over and was telling said friend how terrible he thought NEVERMIND sounded. We (maybe just you?) were so offended by his opinion that we (you?) told him, in front of his friend, "If you don't think NEVERMIND sounds amazing, maybe we shouldn't have you mixing our record!" It was said half-jokingly, but when his friend left he freaked out and asked that we take his name off the record, as well as the name of the studio. Then he left us alone to essentially mix the thing by ourselves, only coming in to the control room if we had a technical question. Good times.
If I am mis-remembering things, please feel free to correct. Maybe it wasn't a friend but a potential client he was talking with?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like our Midge!
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am

Dinko wrote:

It's your ears and your memory, gramps.

And no, have never owned it.

Oh??

scannest wrote:

That's mostly accurate except that Mr. Vollor threw a temper tantrum in front of another 'current' client who was already recording there. Some rap artist.

Later that day, he left a message on my machine saying that if we ever ridiculed him in front of another client again, we'd be banned from the studio. Marc and I thought that was a real hoot since we'd just given him $1,000 in cash as an advance to mix our album. Plus we'd also just previously paid him another $1,000 + or so to record there. 7", split single, and track the LP. Our reaction was 'WTF??? Are WE not his reliable clients"?

So needless to say we took his name and studio off the credits of our album. We were under pressure to get the album mixed ASAP for the pressing and subsequent European tour or we would have mixed the album in another 16 track studio.

Years later he had the balls to send someone to me to ask if he could use the first Sleeper/Serpico 3 song 7" on a Persia CD compilation of bands that were recorded there. I was like 'Are you fucking kidding me??? NO, YOU CAN'T USE OUR MUSIC.' But whatever, 1992 'Nevermind' was a huge sounding album. I think that technology has sonically advanced way beyond that for 30 years later. Either that or my listening is askew because I don't hardly listen to any music outside of my headphones anymore.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby soulforce » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:47 am

I liked your story, scannest & Midge. And what a lovely front lady you had ;)
https://www.discogs.com/artist/158413-Sleeper-2

I have an early 2000's repress of the original "Nevermind" CD. No remasters or box-sets.
soulforce

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:51 am

soulforce wrote:I liked your story, scannest & Midge. And what a lovely front lady you had ;)
https://www.discogs.com/artist/158413-Sleeper-2

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.daghouse.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2701
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:11 am

Wasn't Nevermind recorded on the analog equipment that Grohl bought and made a documentary about? The same equip that Fleetwood Mac, Petty, Rick Springfield, etc. recorded their hit albums at too? If I am correct, of course the technology has advanced as that equipment was old when they recorded on it. Some may say, Grohl included, that the advancement of technology does not sound as good as what was recorded through that analog mixing desk that he now owns.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:15 pm

Nevermind was recorded on tape except for some edits that were made digitally using a very early version of ProTools.

I have 2 copies currently, the original non-remastered CD, and the Bernie Grundman mastered LP reissue from a few years back. Both sound great. I don't play the album often enough to justify an expensive box set edition.
patient_ot

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:17 pm

lewdd wrote:Wasn't Nevermind recorded on the analog equipment that Grohl bought and made a documentary about?

It was recorded at Sound City, so that would make sense. But that record owes so much of its sound to Andy Wallace's mixes, and I'm not sure where those were done.
scannest

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:51 pm

scannest wrote:
lewdd wrote:Wasn't Nevermind recorded on the analog equipment that Grohl bought and made a documentary about?

It was recorded at Sound City, so that would make sense. But that record owes so much of its sound to Andy Wallace's mixes, and I'm not sure where those were done.

We recorded much of last of the sharpshooters there. And it doesn't sound all that special, to me. So yeah, mostly Andy Wallace. Though the hype that the drum room at sound city garnered after they did nevermind there (that's why we recorded there) certainly kept the lights on in that place for several years.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:46 am

SamDBL wrote:
scannest wrote:

We recorded much of last of the sharpshooters there. And it doesn't sound all that special, to me. So yeah, mostly Andy Wallace. Though the hype that the drum room at sound city garnered after they did nevermind there (that's why we recorded there) certainly kept the lights on in that place for several years.

It makes me wonder how much of the drum sound was Grohl and how much the drum room. My guess is most certainly the former.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:57 am

Speaking of the drums on NEVERMIND, I've heard tell that all the cymbals (other than the hi-hats) were overdubbed onto separate tracks after the main kit was recorded. Purpose would be to eliminate bleed onto the other tracks. Seems insane, but I guess if any drummer could manage that feat it would be Grohl.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:10 am

Now I am getting a little anxious about wanting to get the vinyl copy of the reissue to listen to the drums.
lewdd

Postby Markonomicon » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:04 pm

scannest wrote:Speaking of the drums on NEVERMIND, I've heard tell that all the cymbals (other than the hi-hats) were overdubbed onto separate tracks after the main kit was recorded. Purpose would be to eliminate bleed onto the other tracks. Seems insane, but I guess if any drummer could manage that feat it would be Grohl.

The Copyrights recorded their first 2 albums like that. Maybe the 3rd?...playing sounds seemless...whereas you can hear the hesitancy if you're a drummer on the first 2. All cymbals. The drummer was (is?) an assistant engineer or some shit at Sonic Iguana.
Markonomicon

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:18 am

scannest wrote:Speaking of the drums on NEVERMIND, I've heard tell that all the cymbals (other than the hi-hats) were overdubbed onto separate tracks after the main kit was recorded. Purpose would be to eliminate bleed onto the other tracks. Seems insane, but I guess if any drummer could manage that feat it would be Grohl.

Brian Slagel made Dave Lombardo do that on the 1st Slayer album in 83'. Legendary technique. Not their best sounding album, but not their worst either.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:59 am

I went to a record fair yesterday and saw a Japanese import CD version of Nevermind (and a few Nirvana rarities/boots like a Dutch yellow/green vinyl boot of Incesticide, for example) yesterday for 10 bucks. I didn't buy it, though I was tempted a bit.
JGJR

Postby DelGriffith » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Found a copy of the Lithium cd single at the goodwill today for 59 cents..stoked!
DelGriffith

Postby Nico » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:50 am

1991 CD, I bought it in 1992 tho.
2011 LP, 20th anniversary boxset with 4 LPS including demo and BBC stuff. (way better than that upcoming 8 LP boxset imho)
Nico

Return to daghouse