Those old quiet Dischord CDs

Those old quiet Dischord CDs

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:28 am

If you have any that you want to get rid of, hit me up. I’m particularly (casually) looking for the unremastered Rites of Spring and Embrace CDs. There are plenty on Discogs, but I figured that I’d ask here first, since (most of) you guys seem to prefer the remasters.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Those old quiet Dischord CDs

Postby lewdd » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:49 am

I potentially could part with mine.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:06 pm

Just picked up a copy of the Embrace CD at a local record store. They had the ROS too, but it was the remaster…
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:09 pm

I had some in the '90s and some of the remastered ones in the 2000s, too, but the only one I have now is the Gray Matter one (thanks again, Greg!), which I wanted to get again because it has a few demos and the Alive & Kicking track. It sounds GREAT and I play them through a 2000s era Sony CD/DVD player. Generally speaking, though, you can't wrong with Dischord CDs in terms of dynamic range. I used to think the remasters were better and they have way more dynamic range than a lot of other remasters, but the originals are better. It think they were remastered because too many think louder = better in terms of sound quality. I used to as well.

Here is a great example of what I mean:

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list ... um=Embrace
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:36 pm

While I have heard releases that I liked with about the same, if not lower, DRs as the Dischord remasters, I’d still rather go for the unremastered ones. I also saw that Gray Matter CD today and was tempted to buy it, but it was $9.99, and I was already buying 3 other CDs (and was planning on going to a record fair, which I ended up blowing off to hang out with my daughter), so I passed. I have to research that one a bit. I’m not sure that there is an unremastered version of that one.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:13 pm

version sound wrote:While I have heard releases that I liked with about the same, if not lower, DRs as the Dischord remasters, I’d still rather go for the unremastered ones. I also saw that Gray Matter CD today and was tempted to buy it, but it was $9.99, and I was already buying 3 other CDs (and was planning on going to a record fair, which I ended up blowing off to hang out with my daughter), so I passed. I have to research that one a bit. I’m not sure that there is an unremastered version of that one.

There's the 1990 version (the one I have) and the 2003 Silver Sonya remaster that was part of the same series as the Embrace remaster, et al.

https://www.discogs.com/Gray-Matter-Foo ... ter/530693
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:46 pm

NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:44 pm

gregpolard wrote:NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS

I remember when I was not too hung up on the quality of the sound of the recordings and how I listened to them. As I bought better equipment and listened to different sources, it became pretty apparent to me that some sources sound better than others on different equipment. Its been an expensive ride since that discovery.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:45 pm

I heard that SST will be re-mastering the Black Flag and Saccharine Trust
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I heard that SST will be re-mastering the Black Flag and Saccharine Trust

I bet you heard that from a source
lewdd

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:10 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I heard that SST will be re-mastering the Black Flag and Saccharine Trust

For real? All my BF and ST is on vinyl, and it sounds fine as-is. I feel like the CDs are probably better for not being remastered. I can’t imagine Ginn would do it tastefully.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:44 pm

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS

I remember when I was not too hung up on the quality of the sound of the recordings and how I listened to them. As I bought better equipment and listened to different sources, it became pretty apparent to me that some sources sound better than others on different equipment. Its been an expensive ride since that discovery.

100% this except that I have been VERY fortunate to have gotten much of my equipment for nothing or close to it, I'm constantly tinkering with the set-up and upgrading slowly but surely and so I notice different things with different equipment and have learned a lot, too.
JGJR

Return to daghouse