Whose "The Prisoner" Do You Prefer?

The Clash
50%
D.O.A.
50%

Total votes : 12

The Prisoner v. The Prisoner

Postby pedro » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 am

On my morning commute I was listening to a random bunch of songs I had stuck on my phone. They were apparently playing in alphabetical order of the song title because The Clash's "The Prisoner" was followed immediately by D.O.A.'s "The Prisoner". Both great songs.

The Clash's is a b-side from 1978 ("White Man in Hammersmith Palais") familiar to most 'Mericans via Black Market Clash. D.O.A.'s "The Prisoner" was originally released as, I think, their debut single also in 1978. It eventually ended up on Something Better Change. While The Clash's "The Prisoner" isn't even the best song on the seven inch record it was originally released on and D.O.A.'s is arguably their best song ever, I think I have to go with The Clash.

Choose or lose. Well not really. Just choose.

Hello.
pedro

Re: The Prisoner v. The Prisoner

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:46 am

All comes down to musical styles for me. I'll take a fairly pedestrian Clash b-side over even the greatest hardcore song any day of the week.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:48 am

D.O.A., no contest
jaybird

Postby drew » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:04 am

Iron Maiden- The Prisoner

But if I have to pick from these…..The Clash.
drew

Postby lewdd » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 am

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the title of the thread before I opened it was "I wonder if this is about the DOA song?". I just received the 40th anniversary vinyl releases of the first two DOA albums yesterday as a coincidence.
lewdd

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:22 am

drew wrote:Iron Maiden- The Prisoner

Yep.
FormerLurker

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:49 am

jaybird wrote:D.O.A., no contest

Yes
Gary

Postby Mark T. » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 pm

Gary wrote:
jaybird wrote:D.O.A., no contest

Yes

D.O.A. for me too.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:39 pm

Clash
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:48 am

D.O.A. and for pretty much the exact reason pedro said. I really dig both, but that Clash tune isn't even the best song on that particular release (either the 7" or Black Market Clash; not even close) and while it's not one of my favorite D.O.A. songs, it's still a ripper/rager. It was the A-side of their 2nd single, btw, not the 1st (which was "Disco Sucks," which I think is one of their best).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:58 pm

Fire Party?
captain2man

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:23 pm

Blistering version.... Jon Card on Drums:

jaybird

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:29 pm

JGJR wrote:D.O.A. and for pretty much the exact reason pedro said. I really dig both, but that Clash tune isn't even the best song on that particular release (either the 7" or Black Market Clash; not even close) and while it's not one of my favorite D.O.A. songs, it's still a ripper/rager. It was the A-side of their 2nd single, btw, not the 1st (which was "Disco Sucks," which I think is one of their best).

Except that even after that run down, he went with the Clash. I agree with Scannest, even a weak Clash song typically beats any DOA song. They’ve just never done much for me. Also, I actually like this Clash song quite a bit. It doesn’t hurt that it has some kind of connection to one of my fave shows of all time (I swear I read/heard that somewhere at some point).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:38 pm

What is it about early DOA that doesn't work for you, VS? I would have thought you would like them as they were one of the early hardcore bands.

My introduction to them was Bloodied But Unbowed LP which is essentially a greatest hits of their first two records. I need to go through the catalog, but they probably have a good albums worth of music after that compilation based on my tastes in music.

But, I have enjoyed seeing them live a few times and would not mind seeing them play live at some point again.
lewdd

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:45 pm

lewdd wrote:What is it about early DOA that doesn't work for you, VS? I would have thought you would like them as they were one of the early hardcore bands.

My introduction to them was Bloodied But Unbowed LP which is essentially a greatest hits of their first two records. I need to go through the catalog, but they probably have a good albums worth of music after that compilation based on my tastes in music.

But, I have enjoyed seeing them live a few times and would not mind seeing them play live at some point again.

X2. Foundational record for me. The 2nd "real"/big touring band punk show I ever saw after Black Flag in June of '86, was D.O.A. and Rights of the Accused in March of 1987. War on 45 and True North, Strong & Free are also great. Don't really know much about their post-80s material, and what little investigation I've made into it has not been fruitful. But man, their early stuff is essential listening IMO.
jaybird

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:59 pm

I don’t really know why DOA has never clicked with me. I first heard them on the first Rat Music comp and liked those songs alright. The next thing I heard was War on 45, and that didn’t click. I tried again in the ‘00s when their first two LPs were reissued. I also bought War on 45 again. None of it clicked. I ordered a used copy of Joey’s book a week or so ago, so I’ll probably give them another shot after/while reading that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:05 pm

As did Mojo Nixon, the album they did with Jello in 1990 also crushes:

jaybird

Postby lewdd » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:15 pm

Listening to that video from sudden death reminded me of the Let Them Eat Jellybeans LP. What a great side A!
lewdd

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:00 pm

jaybird wrote:As did Mojo Nixon, the album they did with Jello in 1990 also crushes:

Thank you for mentioning this long-lost record. Do you have any idea how much air I caught while listening to this in 1990?

Also, the drummer on this was also in Personality Crisis.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:11 am

FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:As did Mojo Nixon, the album they did with Jello in 1990 also crushes:

Thank you for mentioning this long-lost record. Do you have any idea how much air I caught while listening to this in 1990?

Also, the drummer on this was also in Personality Crisis.

jaybird wrote:Blistering version.... Jon Card on Drums:

Seriously though, all those early 90s "...with Jello Biafra" records were pretty great... D.O.A., Nomeansno, Mojo Nixon... even loved the 2nd LARD album

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:40 am

jaybird wrote:Seriously though, all those early 90s "...with Jello Biafra" records were pretty great... D.O.A., Nomeansno, Mojo Nixon... even loved the 2nd LARD album

Even? I like the one with D.O.A. and the Tumor Circus record, too (that's Jello w/ the SF band Steel Pole Bathtub), though I haven't heard either since the early '90s, but The Last Temptation of Reid was always by far my favorite of those tbh and better than the EP they did (The Power of Lard). I was really into late '80s Ministry, though, so that's partly why, but I still think about songs like "I Am Your Clock" and that insane version of "They're Coming to Take Me Away" sometimes; wish I had a copy; off to Disocgs I go...
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:17 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:Seriously though, all those early 90s "...with Jello Biafra" records were pretty great... D.O.A., Nomeansno, Mojo Nixon... even loved the 2nd LARD album

Even? I like the one with D.O.A. and the Tumor Circus record, too (that's Jello w/ the SF band Steel Pole Bathtub), though I haven't heard either since the early '90s, but The Last Temptation of Reid was always by far my favorite of those tbh and better than the EP they did (The Power of Lard). I was really into late '80s Ministry, though, so that's partly why, but I still think about songs like "I Am Your Clock" and that insane version of "They're Coming to Take Me Away" sometimes; wish I had a copy; off to Disocgs I go...

LOL, yeah, I guess the qualifier was unnecessary. I listened to the whole thing this morning after I posted it... I forgot how fun and catchy all the songs are, I was humming "Forkboy" all afternoon". What a great record.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:27 pm

TLTOR is the only Lard record I ever heard. Are the others worth pursuing?
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:40 am

FormerLurker wrote:TLTOR is the only Lard record I ever heard. Are the others worth pursuing?

the 1st EP is okay... never heard anything else... I think there's only like one more full length... knock yerself out:

First song kinda sounds like the riff from Coroner's "Masked Jackal"... \m/
jaybird

Postby pedro » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:35 am

jaybird wrote:First song kinda sounds like the riff from Coroner's "Masked Jackal"... \m/

Jello has often said that Coroner was a big influence. Not only on his music, but his life.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:02 am

pedro wrote:
jaybird wrote:First song kinda sounds like the riff from Coroner's "Masked Jackal"... \m/

Jello has often said that Coroner was a big influence. Not only on his music, but his life.

I never knew that, but it kinda makes sense given the H.R. Giger connection (I'm sure most of you know this, but he did artwork for fellow Swiss metal band Celtic Frost and also the infamous Frankenchrist poster) and that his favorite band growing up was Magma (IANK).
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:39 am

JGJR wrote:
pedro wrote:

I never knew that, but it kinda makes sense given the H.R. Giger connection (I'm sure most of you know this, but he did artwork for fellow Swiss metal band Celtic Frost and also the infamous Frankenchrist poster) and that his favorite band growing up was Magma (IANK).

You guys are probably thinking of Jello's admiration for a Hungarian psychedelic-punk band called the Galloping Coroners... I doubt he seriously gives a fuck about a 2nd-or-3rd tier late 80s speed-metal band.

I mean, which one do you think Jello would be more into:

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:48 am

jaybird wrote:
lewdd wrote:What is it about early DOA that doesn't work for you, VS? I would have thought you would like them as they were one of the early hardcore bands.

X2. Foundational record for me. The 2nd "real"/big touring band punk show I ever saw after Black Flag in June of '86, was D.O.A. and Rights of the Accused in March of 1987. War on 45 and True North, Strong & Free are also great. Don't really know much about their post-80s material, and what little investigation I've made into it has not been fruitful. But man, their early stuff is essential listening IMO.

My introduction was The Dawning of a New Error, a comp that AT put out in the early '90s which is pretty much a best of (kinda like Bloodied and Unbowed) up until and including Let's Wreck the Party and I've always liked that one despite it not being a fan favorite (or is it?). It's currently the only one of theirs I own, but I'd like to get more of their records at some point. I'd take the early singles over any of the Lps, though, except maybe Hardcore '81.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:56 am

lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:06 am

Thanks, lewdd. I'd consider that singles compilation, but am not a big fan of those types of compilations otherwise. I meant getting the reissues of the early singles, SBC, Hardcore '81, etc. It's silly that I don't own physical copies of that stuff at the moment.
JGJR

Postby Knutsen » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:40 am

D.O.A.
Got it on the Let them Eat Jellybeans compilation.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:53 pm

JGJR, I just got the Something Better Change and Hardcore '82 40th Anniversary vinyl editions straight from Sudden Death (Shithead's label) last week. Shipping was pretty quick and if you buy two records you only have to pay shipping on the first one.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:05 pm

lewdd wrote:JGJR, I just got the Something Better Change and Hardcore '82 40th Anniversary vinyl editions straight from Sudden Death (Shithead's label) last week. Shipping was pretty quick and if you buy two records you only have to pay shipping on the first one.

Thanks for the heads up! Don't Turn Yer Back (on Desperate Times) is very tempting, too.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:37 am

BTW, JGJR, I have an extra copy of each of those first two albums that I have up on Discogs for sale right now that I don't need as I bought the 40th Anniversary vinyl versions.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:23 am

I thought this was going to be about the 60s TV series...
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:50 am

patient_ot wrote:I thought this was going to be about the 60s TV series...

C'mon. This board only talks music. :D
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:11 pm

JGJR wrote:Thanks, lewdd. I'd consider that singles compilation, but am not a big fan of those types of compilations otherwise. I meant getting the reissues of the early singles, SBC, Hardcore '81, etc. It's silly that I don't own physical copies of that stuff at the moment.

Punk Rock Singles on CD is pretty good. It compiles all the early singles with a bunch of later ones and it's surprisingly consistent from memory. SBC and Hardcore 81 are both essential, as is War on 45. IIRC the reissue of WO45 is different tracklist wise than the one from the 80s. I have an old AT copy of that one on vinyl. All the other DOA I have is CDs. I'll probably skip the anniversary vinyl as I don't really need it. Glad they are keeping that stuff in print though.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:13 pm

version sound wrote:I don’t really know why DOA has never clicked with me. I first heard them on the first Rat Music comp and liked those songs alright. The next thing I heard was War on 45, and that didn’t click. I tried again in the ‘00s when their first two LPs were reissued. I also bought War on 45 again. None of it clicked. I ordered a used copy of Joey’s book a week or so ago, so I’ll probably give them another shot after/while reading that.

If Hardcore 81 doesn't do it for you then you can probably forget about DOA. Maybe you just don't like them. That's okay.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse