IDT: gSp (aka girlSperm)

IDT: gSp (aka girlSperm)

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:45 pm

Riot Grrrl + No Wave = gSP

Featuring OG riot grrrl Tobi Vail. JGJR will like this. Maybe the mean. The rest of you…probably not.

https://thrillingliving.bandcamp.com/album/12
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: IDT: gSp (aka girlSperm)

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:54 am

This is just as much a jerk-off-nostalgia-for-my-adolescence move as...I dunno, Steel Panther. Or maybe they're more in on the joke than I'm giving them credit for?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:44 pm

scannest wrote:This is just as much a jerk-off-nostalgia-for-my-adolescence move as...I dunno, Steel Panther. Or maybe they're more in on the joke than I'm giving them credit for?

To who’s adolescence are you referring? And how is this anymore “jerk off nostalgia” than every fucking record everyone on this board listens to?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:01 am

version sound wrote:To who’s adolescence are you referring? And how is this anymore “jerk off nostalgia” than every fucking record everyone on this board listens to?

I'm referring to the adolescence of the folks who are making the music and the audience they're making it for. And you're right, it isn't any "more" nostalgic than any other record everyone on the board listens to. It just doesn't present as such, which struck me as dishonest. Hence, my comment about whether or not they were in on the joke. How serious are we supposed to take "Hippies on Coke" (was that the title? I'm typing on my phone and don't want to lose this to check)?
scannest

Postby version sound » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:25 am

scannest wrote:How serious are we supposed to take "Hippies on Coke" (was that the title? I'm typing on my phone and don't want to lose this to check)?

About as seriously as you would take anything by the Descendents or Dag Nasty. Maybe less.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:12 pm

version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:This is just as much a jerk-off-nostalgia-for-my-adolescence move as...I dunno, Steel Panther. Or maybe they're more in on the joke than I'm giving them credit for?

To who’s adolescence are you referring? And how is this anymore “jerk off nostalgia” than every fucking record everyone on this board listens to?

:lol:

This (what I highlighted). I just want to enjoy things and don't particularly care too much about motivation. I don't get what's wrong with occasional nostalgia for those who want to indulge in it occasionally without living in the past.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:56 am

I’m just kind of baffled by how this is particularly nostalgic at all. True, I’m not that familiar with the members’ past work, other than Toni, but I don’t think this sounds much like Bikini Kill (who are actually back together and recording a new record, I believe). If there are other bands, past or present, that this bears more than a passing resemblance to, please clue me in, because I would like to hear them. It’s certainly no more nostalgic than anyone playing punk rock/power pop/hardcore/whatever rock genre you care to name in 2021.

I mean, if you don’t like it (and I didn’t think many of you would), you don’t like it, that’s fine, but the criticism about “jerk-off nostalgia” seems extremely odd on a board full of middle aged men primarily discussing music either from their youth or designed to sound as much like it as possible.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:40 am

Something is getting lost in translation here, so I'll just leave it at that.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:01 pm

This is really good and right up my alley as you thought. Thanks so much for the reminder, VS. I vaguely remember this coming out a few years back and slept on it.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:06 pm

I’m really digging it. It’s short, so I actually listened to it twice in a row today. I really like the no wave-y/math-y twin guitars.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:34 pm

version sound wrote:I’m really digging it. It’s short, so I actually listened to it twice in a row today. I really like the no wave-y/math-y twin guitars.

On 1st listen, it sounds like a cross between Y Pants and Bikini Kill, so yeah, of course I like it. ;)
JGJR

Return to daghouse