Re: Don’t get it

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:48 pm

target wrote:Midge— but I love miso

and I love you.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:48 pm

jaybird wrote:Rocket From The Crypt

Huge one for me. I remember when we were on warped tour with them, they were really a ‘band’s band’, in that all the other bands were in awe of them. I never got it. Granted, they were a bit of a breath of fresh air being that every other band sounded like Lagwagon… but I still didn’t think they were that great. Especially the build up of them being some super unique punk/rockabilly/etc mashup. I just heard them as face to face with horns and bowling shirts.
While we are at the list, I’ll go ahead and put lagwagon. Beloved by many… and yet, just terrible.
SamDBL

Postby Markonomicon » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:51 pm

They did end up with Mario from 411 on the traps.

He's a ripper.

The only thing RFTC that's worth a shit is the lp they recorded with Sonny Vincent (SV on vocals/guitar with 3 from RFTC backing).
Markonomicon

Postby lewdd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:55 pm

Face to FAce with horns sounds like something I would like. Never got into RFTC. As for Lagwagon, I am 100% with you on that.
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:01 pm

I mean, I strongly dislike nofx and all of those hugely nofx influenced bands (seemed like there were hundreds of them at the time… nofx but faster!… Nofx but metal!… nofx but 8 million changes in each song!.. ). But Lagwagon epitomizes the whole shit bucket for me. They are one of those bands that if someone tells me they are a serious fan that I’ll actually make deep judgements on their character.
SamDBL

Postby neutral knieval » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:38 pm

only thing i know about rftc is the song they did with holly golightly, and how annoying the rftc part of the song was
neutral knieval

Postby Knutsen » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:59 am

Metallica after Master of Puppets.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby FormerLurker » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:01 am

Love the Whigs and like the Descendents. Completely flummoxed by everything else in this thread.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:07 am

SamDBL wrote:

Huge one for me. I remember when we were on warped tour with them, they were really a ‘band’s band’, in that all the other bands were in awe of them. I never got it. Granted, they were a bit of a breath of fresh air being that every other band sounded like Lagwagon… but I still didn’t think they were that great. Especially the build up of them being some super unique punk/rockabilly/etc mashup. I just heard them as face to face with horns and bowling shirts.
While we are at the list, I’ll go ahead and put lagwagon. Beloved by many… and yet, just terrible.

What's weird is that I do like the other bands in the whole RFTC "family tree" to varying extents - love Hot Snakes, like Drive Like Jehu & Pitchfork, and I think all three of those are a lot less "radio-friendly" than RFTC, which is pretty much the opposite of how I usually roll...I'm almost always more into the poppier, melodic sort of bands than I am into the harsh abrasive stuff, but RFTC always just seemed really snoozy to me.

And while I definitely remember seeing their name plastered everywhere since the early 90s, and they toured with a bunch of bands I loved, like Descendents/ALL, Samiam, etc., and Joey Cape is a frequent collaborator with Jon Snodgrass, who I also love, I still don't think I have ever knowingly listened to a Lagwagon song.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:15 am

SamDBL wrote:

God damn I have never seen a better characterization of this act.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:25 am

SamDBL wrote:

To be completely fair, I've never listened closely to RFTC or seen them live, but from the stuff I have heard, I much prefer any of the other Reis/Froberg iterations, specifically Pitchfork/Drive Like Jehu (especially the debut), Obits and Reis' side project The Night Marchers, whose 2 albums are terrific. I forgot to include Hot Snakes, who are also terrific.

I think they were going for The Saints circa Eternally Yours with those horns, but it comes across as like a less cheesy Less than Jake or something. If someone can convince me otherwise, though, I'd give them a listen.

Your Warped Tour experience reminds me of the last time I went to one and that was back in 2001. Rollins Band, Jimmy Eat World, and Rancid seemed like the only bands on there that weren't kiddie punk and were huge breaths of fresh air (and all played great sets).

I saw Lagwagon in 1994 on an insane bill at Middlesex County College that included Youth Brigade headlining, Integrity, and late '80s/early '90s legends of the New Brunswick scene (Bouncing Souls, Lifetime, Sticks and Stones). Most of the other/aforementioned bands were great that day and Youth Brigade especially was unbelievable, but I just don't like that Fat style of pop-punk, so Lagwagon don't do anything for me. Here's the flyer.

Last edited by JGJR on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 am

FormerLurker wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

God damn I have never seen a better characterization of this act.

Hundo p; I don't always agree with you guys, but on this, A+
JGJR

Postby drew » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:41 am

Metallica
Foo Fighters
NOFX
Baroness
Turnstile
Earth Crises
drew

Postby lewdd » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:48 am

drew wrote:Metallica
Foo Fighters
NOFX
Baroness
Turnstile
Earth Crises

Now, I think that NOFX and Foo Fighters each have a 60-80 minutes worth of songs that I enjoy listening to.

And, I am pretty sure everyone on here knows I love the Descendents!
lewdd

Postby drew » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:52 am

lewdd wrote:
Foo Fighters
NOFX
Baroness
Turnstile
Earth Crises

Now, I think that NOFX and Foo Fighters each have a 60-80 minutes worth of songs that I enjoy listening to.

And, I am pretty sure everyone on here knows I love the Descendents!

Yea, ‘Dents & RFTC are surprising to me. I love RFTC, seen them a bunch and def my fave of all John Reis’ bands/projects.
The ‘Dents to me are more important to most of us here than Dag Nasty. Lol :lol:
drew

Postby lewdd » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:16 am

I would agree on your comment Descendents vs Dag
lewdd

Postby Fillavoid » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:35 am

Sonic Youth is a big one for me. I’ve tried getting into their catalog, and I enjoy a few songs, but on the whole I don’t get them. In theory, they’re a band I should love because they’ve influenced so many bands I enjoy. Maybe someday they’ll finally click for me, but I’m not holding my breath.
Fillavoid

Postby lewdd » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:45 am

I just gave RFTC a quick listen through the top 6 songs they had on Spotify. #6 was "Young Livers" which is the only song of theirs that I think I may have heard before. I actually think it is a decent song that falls into that alternative rock sound of the 90s to me that you might hear on XM Lithium channel. I didn't really care for the other 5 songs. To me, they sounded like an up tempo Lords of the New Church with horns and Stiv's Dead Boys voice.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:18 am

Foo Fighters
NOFX
Baroness
Turnstile
Earth Crises

I like 80s Metallica a lot (a bit surprising to me that you don't) and dig the new Turnstile, but definitely agree on most of the others. I never got into Earth Crisis (other '90s hardcore would be in this category for me, honestly), have never heard Baroness, I think between them of Foo Fighters and NOFX, they have a dozen or two songs I enjoy. I like S&M Airlines and some of Ribbed when I was in high school and most of the FF stuff I like is on their 1st 2-3 records, but never owned anything by them if that makes sense.

I'm on a serious Nirvana kick right now, though, so who knows? I may get into them (FF) at some point, but it would definitely be only the early stuff. The production/style/sound of the later stuff and a ton of mainstream modern rock music on "active rock" radio or whatever they call it now in general is like nails on a chalkboard to me, honestly.
JGJR

Postby Markonomicon » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:59 pm

I didn't like Earth Crisis in the 90s, but that 'Slither' album was surprisingly good.

Like groove metal meets hardcore. No one here would like it. Ahaha.
Markonomicon

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 am

I expect this sort of negativity from lots of people around here, but not target. I just don't know what to believe anymore.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby patient_ot » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:19 pm

RFTC made one great album...Circa Now! Nothing else they've done comes close.

Fleetwood Mac...I neither like or dislike them intense. Nothing by them in my collection. Note the early version of the band is very different and featured different members (multiple lineups there).

Descendents - stated my opinion elsewhere before

Afghan Whigs - if you didn't like Gentlemen (a 90s classic IMHO) then this band is not for you.

Roxy Music - I enjoy a lot of their stuff but not for everyone. I can't see too many punk-rock oriented listeners being into RM.

Red Kross - I only really know the Neurotica album, which I like. Haven't got around to anything else. Heard their first one years ago and it didn't grab me.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Markonomicon wrote:I didn't like Earth Crisis in the 90s, but that 'Slither' album was surprisingly good.

Their early EPs were decent IMHO, horrible lyrics but musically decent. The subsequent full length albums were tedious and boring - nothing I would want to listen to. Never heard the later stuff and have no interest.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:22 pm

Foo Fighters
NOFX
Baroness
Turnstile
Earth Crises

Of this grouping, I mostly cannot stand NOFX and bands influenced by them.

Foo Fighters had some decent stuff early on, but it's mostly just bland mainstream rock to me. Their documentary plus album thing was interesting for the documentary parts only. The music by FF was laughably bad IMHO.
patient_ot

Postby drew » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:42 pm

patient_ot wrote:
Foo Fighters
NOFX
Baroness
Turnstile
Earth Crises

Foo Fighters had some decent stuff early on, but it's mostly just bland mainstream rock to me. Their documentary plus album thing was interesting for the documentary parts only. The music by FF was laughably bad IMHO.

100% on FF. The best part of that doc is Joe Walsh’s short solo. Better than any of the other songs
drew

Postby drew » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:45 pm

JGJR wrote:
Foo Fighters
NOFX
Baroness
Turnstile
Earth Crises

I like 80s Metallica a lot (a bit surprising to me that you don't) .

I do like Metal but never dug The Metallicas. I don’t like Hetfields voice and Lars is the most un-imaginative drummer in Hard Rock. And the songs are way too long.
drew

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:08 pm

patient_ot wrote:
Foo Fighters
NOFX
Baroness
Turnstile
Earth Crises

This. 100%.
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:12 pm

I have never understood the appeal of FF. Boring af.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:15 pm

patient_ot wrote:Roxy Music - I enjoy a lot of their stuff but not for everyone. I can't see too many punk-rock oriented listeners being into RM.

Red Kross - I only really know the Neurotica album, which I like. Haven't got around to anything else. Heard their first one years ago and it didn't grab me.

Roxy Music - I think punk/post-punk bands with horns such as Ultravox (the John Foxx version), X-Ray Spex, and the Psychedelic Furs owe a lot to Roxy Music's 1st 4 albums, especially the 1st 2. And Avalon is the best new romantic album ever and they were a huge influence on that whole movement, too.

So anyway, I think any listener who likes the above bands might like the early stuff, no?

Redd Kross - If you like Neurotica, I think they only got better from that point on and they're all in the same general power-pop type style. I really like Researching the Blues from 2012, but I'm sure Greg can recommend others since he's listened to them way more than I have.

I love the 1st EP, though, but that's totally different stuff, South Bay hardcore but super catchy/melodic and made by middle schoolers; one of the songs later became a Black Flag song when Dez left and another became a Circle Jerks song when Greg Hetson left. The song he took was "Cover Band", but I don't remember what Circle Jerks song he used with the same riff. I think it's "World Up My Ass."?I also don't remember which Black Flag song was once a Red Cross song, too.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:16 pm

patient_ot wrote:
Markonomicon wrote:I didn't like Earth Crisis in the 90s, but that 'Slither' album was surprisingly good.

Their early EPs were decent IMHO, horrible lyrics but musically decent. The subsequent full-length albums were tedious and boring - nothing I would want to listen to. Never heard the later stuff and have no interest.

This is so spot-on. I never made it to the full-lengths though I saw them as late as '97, but that is a very accurate characterization of the early EPs.
JGJR

Postby Markonomicon » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:37 pm

Pixies
Brian Eno (with vocals)
Tool ("metal" for ravers)
Post-Damaged Black Flag
Rush (thanks, Geddy)
Butthole Surfers (minus a few songs between Locust/Psychic)
Big Star (September Gurls is a HIT, the others not so much)
Post-70s Ramones
My Bloody Valentine (so close to being decent...all the elements were there...not enough hooks)
Samhain (yawn, save Final Descent, which was a hodgepodge)
Undertones (minus Get Over You and Here Comes The Summer)
Germs (musically and lyrically good. Darby sucked.)
DYS (all of it...terrible)
SSD (Kids... is mostly good. The rest is shit.).
GISM (terrible)
Markonomicon

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pm

The first 4 or 5 Roxy Music records are great. After that, they got a little too smooth. I think they were actually a very popular band among the early punx, in the UK especially. Sid Vicious was a big Bowie and Roxy fan. I’m pretty sure Steve Jones has name checked them too.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:42 pm

Markonomicon wrote:Big Star (September Gurls is a HIT, the others not so much)
Post-70s Ramones
My Bloody Valentine (so close to being decent...all the elements were there...not enough hooks)
GISM (terrible)

All of this is some of the best shit ever. You guys are nuts.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:45 pm

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:Roxy Music - I enjoy a lot of their stuff but not for everyone. I can't see too many punk-rock oriented listeners being into RM.

Roxy Music - I think punk/post-punk bands with horns such as Ultravox (the John Foxx version), X-Ray Spex, and the Psychedelic Furs owe a lot to Roxy Music's 1st 4 albums, especially the 1st 2. And Avalon is the best new romantic album ever and they were a huge influence on that whole movement, too.

So anyway, I think any listener who likes the above bands might like the early stuff, no?

Redd Kross - If you like Neurotica, I think they only got better from that point on and they're all in the same general power-pop type style. I really like Researching the Blues from 2012, but I'm sure Greg can recommend others since he's listened to them way more than I have.

I love the 1st EP, though, but that's totally different stuff, South Bay hardcore but super catchy/melodic and made by middle schoolers; one of the songs later became a Black Flag song when Dez left and another became a Circle Jerks song when Greg Hetson left. The song he took was "Cover Band", but I don't remember what Circle Jerks song he used with the same riff. I think it's "World Up My Ass."?I also don't remember which Black Flag song was once a Red Cross song, too.

It’s “Live Fast Die Young.” “World Up My Ass” is “Gimme Sopor” with one different chord.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:44 pm

version sound wrote:
Markonomicon wrote:Big Star (September Gurls is a HIT, the others not so much)
Post-70s Ramones
GISM (terrible)

All of this is some of the best shit ever. You guys are nuts.

What you said, VS. Specifically, these are all huge favorites of mine.

Pixies
Brian Eno (with vocals)
Post-Damaged Black Flag
Rush (thanks, Geddy)
Big Star (September Gurls is a HIT, the others not so much)
Post-70s Ramones
Undertones (minus Get Over You and Here Comes The Summer)

And who do you think wrote those Germs lyrics? You may not like him vocally and that's fair, but give credit where it's due. The Undertones are one of my favorite bands ever (Big Star, Pixies, Black Flag, and Ramones are up there, too), one of Eno's vocal albums is in all my time top 10, DYS I only really play Brotherhood, but I also really like the live album they put out in 2011 or 2012.

I gotta somewhat agree on these, though.

Tool ("metal" for ravers)
GISM (terrible)

I'll agree on Tool and Samhain; never got into either of them, but I'd like to listen to Samhain again to see if I missed anything. Get It Away is by far SSD's best record. I'm not a huge fan, but Al's guitar tone is incredible. The only one I really dislike is Break It Up. I've never listened to GISM, to be honest.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:47 pm

version sound wrote:The first 4 or 5 Roxy Music records are great. After that, they got a little too smooth. I think they were actually a very popular band among the early punx, in the UK especially. Sid Vicious was a big Bowie and Roxy fan. I’m pretty sure Steve Jones has name checked them too.

Thanks; I meant to include that as well. I didn't know that per se about Sid and Jonesy, but I'm not surprised. As I said before, they (and Bowie, Eno, T Rex, especially but others too/the rest of the glam stuff, etc.) were all huge influences on early UK punk.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:48 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:It’s “Live Fast Die Young.” “World Up My Ass” is “Gimme Sopor” with one different chord.

Thanks for that; Love Circle Jerks, early Redd Kross, etc. but never got into the prime early/funny Angry Samoans. Not sure why, but I do really enjoy the later, garage-y tuff, specifically this:

https://www.discogs.com/Angry-Samoans-D ... ster/67058
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:59 pm

https://www.discogs.com/Angry-Samoans-T ... ter/545287 or this https://www.discogs.com/Angry-Samoans-G ... ase/627307 is really all you need of the Angry Samoans. I could survive with solely the latter one.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:35 pm

lewdd wrote:https://www.discogs.com/Angry-Samoans-The-Unboxed-Set/master/545287 or this https://www.discogs.com/Angry-Samoans-G ... ase/627307 is really all you need of the Angry Samoans. I could survive with solely the latter one.

Oh yeah, I remember when The Unboxed Set came out; would love to get that earlier disc, too; it's like a one-stop-shop. I probably wouldn't want any more of their stuff, either, after that, but would like the YST 12", too.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:37 am

JGJR wrote:Roxy Music - I think punk/post-punk bands with horns such as Ultravox (the John Foxx version), X-Ray Spex, and the Psychedelic Furs owe a lot to Roxy Music's 1st 4 albums, especially the 1st 2. And Avalon is the best new romantic album ever and they were a huge influence on that whole movement, too.

I can tell you that when I first heard Roxy, I hated their music. Part of the problem was the perspective I was coming from at the time. It just sounded completely wrong to me. I appreciate most of their stuff now though. I think folks coming from the artier side of punk and post-punk might like them, but they're the wrong band for folks into conventional meat and potatoes punk/hc. I know I've played their music for people like that and gotten WTF reactions.

I agree that early Ultravox and the Furs were probably influenced by Roxy, but I don't hear it in XRS. Maybe they were, no idea.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 am

Circa Now!
Last edited by patient_ot on Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:41 am

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:https://www.discogs.com/Angry-Samoans-The-Unboxed-Set/master/545287 or this https://www.discogs.com/Angry-Samoans-G ... ase/627307 is really all you need of the Angry Samoans. I could survive with solely the latter one.

Oh yeah, I remember when The Unboxed Set came out; would love to get that earlier disc, too; it's like a one-stop-shop. I probably wouldn't want any more of their stuff, either, after that, but would like the YST 12", too.

The Unboxed Set is all you really need from them. Can't remember the last time I played it though.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:50 am

Markonomicon wrote:
Rush (thanks, Geddy)
GISM (terrible)

Re: Rush - amazing musicians but I cannot stand them and never need to hear that stupid Tom Sawyer song again in my life. I like plenty of 70s prog, but can't get into the Rush at all. The vox ruin it for me.

DYS: Brotherhood is decent teenage hardcore, but compared to Jerry's Kids, the FU's or a slew of other Boston bands from the same time frame, it's just second/third-tier at best. When they tried to go hard rock it was just as bad as any other hardcore band that did the same thing in the 80s.

SSD: Get it Away rocks, Kids is decent, but yeah, the last two albums suck badly. There is a reason you can still find bargain bin copies of Break It Up.

GISM: not for everyone. The whole point of the band is that they are an amped up, almost caricature of badly recorded hardcore punk. I dig them, but don't expect everyone to like them.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:41 pm

I guess I have weird tastes, but I do love both Roxy Music and basic hardcore.

DYS: Brotherhood fucking rules. Maybe it has lost its impact over the years if you have heard 100 latter day straight edge bands aping them and other first wave (maybe they were more like 1.5 wave) SEHC bands, but I heard it circa 1985 and have loved it ever since.

SSD: Get It Away is easily one of my favorite hardcore records. Kids is almost as good, and How We Rock is close. I think a lot of people see that dumb cover (and title - Sorry, Al) and don’t really give it a chance. It has a little bit more in terms of guitar wankery than GIA, but it is 90% as good nonetheless. BIA is ridiculous but fun.

GISM - Love them. Detestation is probably my least favorite of their records (though I still love it). Some of their best songs were comp tracks between the first two LPs. I also love M.A.N., there is something about the Iron Maiden tunes and the Sakevi vocals that really does it for me. Throw in the industrial tracks, and you have a truly one of a kind record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse