Bands you like but record you missed….

Bands you like but record you missed….

Postby drew » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Thinking about this weird topic today.

ALL/Descendents- Live, One Plus One- Never bought it, never heard it. Is it good? Just an album that went past my radar.

ALL- Problematic. Diminishing returns made me give up on them, went back later for “Mass Nerder” which I love. Maybe I’ll check this out one day.

Blondie- Plastic Letters. I love Blondie. Missed this one and just never checked it out.

Ramones- Mondo Bizarro. I know its probably bad but I know every other album even the bad ones.

Elvis Costello- North. EC has a mountain of music out there but thanks to technology I always listen to the latest EC music and give it a shot. I’ve been listening to EC regularly since I’m a kid but I don’t know a single tune from this album. Weird.
drew

Re: Bands you like but record you missed….

Postby Mark T. » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:17 pm

KISS - Every album after Dynasty . . .
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:27 pm

drew wrote:Thinking about this weird topic today.

ALL/Descendents- Live, One Plus One- Never bought it, never heard it. Is it good? Just an album that went past my radar.

ALL- Problematic. Diminishing returns made me give up on them, went back later for “Mass Nerder” which I love. Maybe I’ll check this out one day.

Don't bother. Save your $ and time.
FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 pm

ALL- Problematic.
Judas Priest - Every album in between 'Defenders of the Faith' and 'Angel of Retribution'.
Sonic Youth 'NYC Ghosts & Flowers'
Live Skull 'Positraction'
Black Sabbath 'Tyr'
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Dinko » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:35 am

FormerLurker wrote:

No, bother! Personally, I think Problematic sounds much better than Mass Nerder, the guitars are grittier, it has a much nicer stereo width and a lot of good songs. I never understood the bad rep the album received when it was released (well, I guess MN benefitted a lot from coming out after Everything sucks...). And check out the live album, if only to listen to Chad and Karl trading/blending vocals on 'Cause, and how Educated Idiot seamlessly turns into Life on the Road and back.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby jaybird » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:19 am

Dinko wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

No, bother! Personally, I think Problematic sounds much better than Mass Nerder, the guitars are grittier, it has a much nicer stereo width and a lot of good songs. I never understood the bad rep the album received when it was released (well, I guess MN benefitted a lot from coming out after Everything sucks...). And check out the live album, if only to listen to Chad and Karl trading/blending vocals on 'Cause, and how Educated Idiot seamlessly turns into Life on the Road and back.

I once made a combination CD/playlist of the best songs from Mass Nerder and Problematic that is way better than either album alone....Nerdlematic.

The Live + 1 is okay, mostly interesting for the live versions of the Sucks-era material on the Descendents disc... but honestly, I almost always just reach for Liveage! ... can't remember the last time I listened to either disc, so I guess Randie is kinda right.

I guess my own contribution here is the Jesus and Mary Chain records after Automatic as I mentioned on the thread i started about a week ago... been digging into the later records on the 'tubes and enjoying them a lot. I remember thinking back then that they were just too stagnant and one-dimensional, three-chord 60s Velvet Underground wannabe retreads... and there is still a lot of truth to that, but I appreciate their minimalist approach much more now than I did back in the 90s.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 am

drew wrote:
Blondie- Plastic Letters. I love Blondie. Missed this one and just never checked it out.

Elvis Costello- North. EC has a mountain of music out there but thanks to technology I always listen to the latest EC music and give it a shot. I’ve been listening to EC regularly since I’m a kid but I don’t know a single tune from this album. Weird.

I've owned Plastic Letters for over 26 years, but have never fully warmed to it despite the fact that I love every other Blondie album up to and including Eat to the Beat. It has great singles, though, but much of it (while quite listenable) sounds like B-material from the debut to me otherwise. It has one of my all-time favorite album covers, though!

North - I bought it when it came out in 2003 and still have the CD back when they included bonus DVDs (or enhanced content on the CD) with like 1 or 2 videos lol. I didn't really like it that much then, but I think you just have to be 40 and above (or have a lot of stuff happen) to really appreciate it. Now, it's one of my favorites in his catalog. I even got a vinyl copy earlier this year thanks to a friend in Yonkers who saw a copy at his local and hooked me up. I'm slowly but surely collecting all of the '90s and '00s Costello albums on vinyl. Both the vinyl and CD sound GREAT, btw.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Markonomicon » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 pm

Problematic was a turd.

2 good songs (Carry You and www.Sara).

The whole album sounds like they wrote it on the spot in the studio.

Rushed b-sides/afterthoughts...like 50% of the post-Everything Sucks All/Dents material (OK...Mass Nerder was good overall).
Markonomicon

Return to daghouse