Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome......RUSH!

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome......RUSH!

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:50 pm

6 words.
"Led Zep Can Suck... My ...."

Sabbath, Rush, and Queen are the definitive classic rock royalty.

Great film, great night. Geeked out singing all the words. Felt good to see a film in Manhattan again.
Fuck the haters.

-Midge f Lightweight

xxxMidgexxx

Re: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome......RUSH!

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:53 am

Rush and Queen are good,but it's Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath for me.
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:07 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:6 words.
"Led Zep Can Suck... My ...."

Sabbath, Rush, and Queen are the definitive classic rock royalty.

Great film, great night. Geeked out singing all the words. Felt good to see a film in Manhattan again.
Fuck the haters.

-Midge f Lightweight

Gotta say I agree, Midge. I'd throw Kiss in there too for me. And AC/DC. That rounds out my top 5
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:19 am

The Who, Zeppelin, AC/DC.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:23 am

All this shit is for dads with a high probability of ponytail.
FormerLurker

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:51 am

I'll give Rush maybe a dozen good-to-great songs ("Subdivisions" being their best). Queen has a few more - maybe 20. Sabbath doesn't count as Classic Rock. Radio has always ignored them outside the occasional spin of "Iron Man" or "Paranoid".

As far as 'Classic Rock' goes, there's no way to top Beatles/Stones/Who.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:17 am

FormerLurker wrote:All this shit is for dads with a high probability of ponytail.

:lol:
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:24 am

scannest wrote:I'll give Rush maybe a dozen good-to-great songs ("Subdivisions" being their best). Queen has a few more - maybe 20. Sabbath doesn't count as Classic Rock. Radio has always ignored them outside the occasional spin of "Iron Man" or "Paranoid".

As far as 'Classic Rock' goes, there's no way to top Beatles/Stones/Who.

I kinda consider the Beatles and the Stones to be an entirely separate thing from "Classic Rock"... like, they're just so influential and omnipresent that they basically transcend any genre limitations or classifications at this point.
jaybird

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:46 am

FormerLurker wrote:All this shit is for dads with a high probability of ponytail.

Aw, cupcake. You gonna be ok??
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Markonomicon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:40 pm

Rush were a phenomenal band with terrible vocals.
Markonomicon

Postby lewdd » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:01 pm

Midge do you remember that time that you were going to visit me and go to my neighbors Rush Jam festival.
lewdd

Postby FormerLurker » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Markonomicon wrote:Rush were a phenomenal band with terrible vocals.

And terrible lyrics.
FormerLurker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:02 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
Markonomicon wrote:Rush were a phenomenal band with terrible vocals.

And terrible lyrics.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:33 am

Thanks to this dumb thread I had the rap part of "Roll the Bones" running through my head all weekend. Eff all y'all.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:43 am

FormerLurker wrote:Thanks to this dumb thread I had the rap part of "Roll the Bones" running through my head all weekend. Eff all y'all.

jaybird

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:28 am

flip
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:23 am

My son and I had a great experience at the West Hartford showing last Thursday. I'd had a difficult time listening to Rush since Neil died. Seeing R40 on the big screen was rejuvenating. We had a lot of fun. I've spent the week listening to the Rush catalog in reverse order (ala R40). Just reached Power Windows on my Friday commute. Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the catalog on vinyl over the weekend.

Yup, plenty of ponytail'd dudes. I wasn't one of them.
Hal

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:54 am

Hal wrote:My son and I had a great experience at the West Hartford showing last Thursday. I'd had a difficult time listening to Rush since Neil died. Seeing R40 on the big screen was rejuvenating. We had a lot of fun. I've spent the week listening to the Rush catalog in reverse order (ala R40). Just reached Power Windows on my Friday commute. Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the catalog on vinyl over the weekend.

Yup, plenty of ponytail'd dudes. I wasn't one of them.

:)
FormerLurker

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:38 am

I'm picturing a theater full of Comic Book Guys hotly debating the relative merits of TEST FOR ECHO vs. VAPOR TRAILS while licking fake butter off their fingers.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:27 am

Rush are a very cerebral band. People who can't play their instruments too well tend to frown on them.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Hal » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:39 am

scannest wrote:I'm picturing a theater full of Comic Book Guys hotly debating the relative merits of TEST FOR ECHO vs. VAPOR TRAILS while licking fake butter off their fingers.

Nailed it.
Hal

Postby SamDBL » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:55 pm

I was into them very early on. Farewell to kings and permanent waves were a couple of my earliest purchases. They oddly always made sense to me. Geddys vocals, in particular… just fit and I never gave it a second thought. Then, after years of people complaining, I *guess* I could see where they were coming from. Still always sounded (and sounds) totally natural and great, to me. Their songs, weird and long as they are, were always extremely catchy to me as well. The lyrics are fine. I’m not head over heels for them, but I don’t they stand out as corny or super lame, either.
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:16 am

SamDBL wrote:I was into them very early on. Farewell to kings and permanent waves were a couple of my earliest purchases. They oddly always made sense to me. Geddys vocals, in particular… just fit and I never gave it a second thought. Then, after years of people complaining, I *guess* I could see where they were coming from. Still always sounded (and sounds) totally natural and great, to me. Their songs, weird and long as they are, were always extremely catchy to me as well. The lyrics are fine. I’m not head over heels for them, but I don’t they stand out as corny or super lame, either.

Don't you have a ponytail, tho? See?
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:24 am

FormerLurker wrote:
SamDBL wrote:I was into them very early on. Farewell to kings and permanent waves were a couple of my earliest purchases. They oddly always made sense to me. Geddys vocals, in particular… just fit and I never gave it a second thought. Then, after years of people complaining, I *guess* I could see where they were coming from. Still always sounded (and sounds) totally natural and great, to me. Their songs, weird and long as they are, were always extremely catchy to me as well. The lyrics are fine. I’m not head over heels for them, but I don’t they stand out as corny or super lame, either.

Don't you have a ponytail, tho? See?

SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:40 am

I gotta agree with all of that (always dug his vocals, etc.) except I didn't hear them until the Atlantic era (specifically, when Presto came out in 1989 when I was a freshman in high school), but at the time I also heard a bunch of their back catalog (most of their stuff up to Permanent Waves and then some of the late '80s stuff like A Show of Hands, etc.) because I had a friend who was a huge fan (a drummer, of course, lol).

These days, I gravitate heavily towards Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and parts of Signals (kinda think scannest is right about "Subdivisions" maybe being their best song) when they streamlined the 18-minute songs and Neal grew a lot lyrically, too, going from Ayn Rand tributes to, well, more interesting/relatable things.

I did acquire 2 of the 1st 3 albums (s/t and Caress of Steel iirc) in a collection a few years back and they are all fun and listenable, etc. but I just don't really think they hit their stride until they started becoming influenced heavily by The Police. :lol:
I think previously I only knew that material on greatest hits comps and All the World's a Stage.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:18 pm

lewdd wrote:Midge do you remember that time that you were going to visit me and go to my neighbors Rush Jam festival.
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:54 pm

JGJR wrote:

I gotta agree with all of that (always dug his vocals, etc.) except I didn't hear them until the Atlantic era (specifically, when Presto came out in 1989 when I was a freshman in high school), but at the time I also heard a bunch of their back catalog (most of their stuff up to Permanent Waves and then some of the late '80s stuff like A Show of Hands, etc.) because I had a friend who was a huge fan (a drummer, of course, lol).

These days, I gravitate heavily towards Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and parts of Signals (kinda think scannest is right about "Subdivisions" maybe being their best song) when they streamlined the 18-minute songs and Neal grew a lot lyrically, too, going from Ayn Rand tributes to, well, more interesting/relatable things.

I did acquire 2 of the 1st 3 albums (s/t and Caress of Steel iirc) in a collection a few years back and they are all fun and listenable, etc. but I just don't really think they hit their stride until they started becoming influenced heavily by The Police. :lol:
I think previously I only knew that material on greatest hits comps and All the World's a Stage.

Yes, I agree the mid period 80s stuff… even the keyboard heavy stuff… is the pinnacle, I’d say moving moving pictures, permanent waves, grace under pressure, signals and even hold your fire are my go to albums. Funny, this is the era a lot of people seem to write off. But I found a lot of their later stuff when they ditched the keys good but kind of boring. I think some of it has to do with Alex trying to find his place with the keys heavy stuff. He has said in interviews that he had trouble coming up with guitar parts when the synth took up so much room. But I think that limitation made his playing really awesome. Having to find weird voicings and chord fragments so as not to muddy stuff up. Something I learned (from him) much later in life.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:32 am

SamDBL wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yes, I agree the mid period 80s stuff… even the keyboard heavy stuff… is the pinnacle, I’d say moving moving pictures, permanent waves, grace under pressure, signals and even hold your fire are my go to albums. Funny, this is the era a lot of people seem to write off. But I found a lot of their later stuff when they ditched the keys good but kind of boring. I think some of it has to do with Alex trying to find his place with the keys heavy stuff. He has said in interviews that he had trouble coming up with guitar parts when the synth took up so much room. But I think that limitation made his playing really awesome. Having to find weird voicings and chord fragments so as not to muddy stuff up. Something I learned (from him) much later in life.

Couldn't agree more; I can't say I've listened to any of the stuff they put out in the last 30 years all that much, but from what I have heard, I think their best songwriting was in the '80s for sure. Even "Time Stand Still" from Hold Your Fire is a big favorite of mine. Aimee Mann on backing vox! I've got the 45. They got heavier/less keyboard-driven in the '90s and beyond, but yeah way less catchy. I'm probably just impatient and need to spend more time with some of that stuff, but...They write off the '80s stuff because of outdated ideas about synths, etc. but ignore great songs. Oh well.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:43 am

My older brother had a Rush album or two. I only remember "Tom Sawyer" and "Limelight". I am sure there may be others. That is the extent of my knowledge of Rush and my desire to go any further into their catalog.
lewdd

Return to daghouse