Punk rock action figures

Punk rock action figures

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:11 pm

My phone keeps trying to sell me band-branded action figures. Wtf?
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: Punk rock action figures

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:21 pm

Your favorite band(s) are now collectible toy retailers.
jaybird

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:38 pm

I will be buying the Milo one this weekend. What others are out there?
lewdd

Postby Knutsen » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:54 pm

It is awesome! You can invite your friend to come over with their action figures and then you can kneel on the carpet of the living room and play with each other. When you play nice your wife will bring milk and cookies for you and your friends to have a nutricious break.

Or you can leave it in the untouched original packaging on the shelf and watch how it collects dutch.

Exciting possibilities!

Not to forget that it helps you to get rid of all your excessive money.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby Mark T. » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:43 pm

Do Funko Pops fall into the category of action figures?
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:45 pm

Yes, Funko Pops do at least in my line of business but they are considered collectibles.

The brand making the Milo one has tons of Misfits, Motorhead, Judas Priest, etc.
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:28 pm

Kind of a fun idea. Also, it’s the ridiculous shit music makers are forced to stoop to peddling since most people won’t pay a fucking nickel for a full length release.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:49 pm

SamDBL wrote:Kind of a fun idea. Also, it’s the ridiculous shit music makers are forced to stoop to peddling since most people won’t pay a fucking nickel for a full length release.

I will half agree with this. I mean, I still buy digital albums on Bandcamp from bands I feel are hardworking and deserving of the support even if the album is available to stream on Spotify, but the thing is that there is way too much to choose from. Too many project bands, bands put together on the internet making albums in their bedrooms, etc. And vinyl LPs are stoopid expensive these days.

So..there unfortunately has to be other 'product to catch fan support. :( No matter how ridiculous and novelty it gets.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:25 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Kind of a fun idea. Also, it’s the ridiculous shit music makers are forced to stoop to peddling since most people won’t pay a fucking nickel for a full length release.

I will half agree with this. I mean, I still buy digital albums on Bandcamp from bands I feel are hardworking and deserving of the support even if the album is available to stream on Spotify, but the thing is that there is way too much to choose from. Too many project bands, bands put together on the internet making albums in their bedrooms, etc. And vinyl LPs are stoopid expensive these days.

So..there unfortunately has to be other 'product to catch fan support. :( No matter how ridiculous and novelty it gets.

Yeah, some people buy stuff. But it's kind of done on a charitable basis by conscientious music lovers, such as yourself (thank god). But by and large, compared to the pre-digital age, music has been devalued to almost zero to the general public. Partly because of normalized and legalized intellectual theft on the part of the streaming companies and their audience. And partly because, as you say, the practical problem of digitization leading to the market being flooded with too much stuff. Even though I'm guilty of using and subscribing to Spotify, I wish that owner guy would get hit by a stray meteorite.
SamDBL

Postby patient_ot » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:03 am

The Funko figurines are basically Beanie Babies for the 21st century. Nothing I would spent a cent on.

If bands need merch to sell there are many more useful things they can do.
patient_ot

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:28 am

patient_ot wrote:The Funko figurines are basically Beanie Babies for the 21st century. Nothing I would spent a cent on.

I think the purpose of merch is to sell it. Not necessarily make useful things. If the market for these type of things weren’t profitable because people buy the shit out of them, bands wouldn’t be making them. Blame the audience.
SamDBL

Postby Knutsen » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:34 am

SamDBL wrote:
patient_ot wrote:The Funko figurines are basically Beanie Babies for the 21st century. Nothing I would spent a cent on.

I think the purpose of merch is to sell it. Not necessarily make useful things. If the market for these type of things weren’t profitable because people buy the shit out of them, bands wouldn’t be making them. Blame the audience.

Nah, it is the bands responsibility to keep some classiness.
Knutsen

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 am

Knutsen wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Spoken like a true hobbyist.
SamDBL

Postby Knutsen » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:48 am

SamDBL wrote:
Knutsen wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Of course, I am free and dedicated to quality.
Knutsen

Postby jaybird » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:53 am

Bands can come up with as much preposterous merch as they can imagine, and if their fans are the sort of dipshits who just NEED to have the band logo on flip-flops or keychains or fidget-spinners or coffins, then I'm all for it.

jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:56 am

This is true AF.
FormerLurker

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:57 am

FormerLurker

Postby Knutsen » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:57 am

Would be great if they‘d put the money into the production of the design of their album covers.
Knutsen

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:06 pm

FormerLurker wrote:

This is true AF.

I would say there is an exception to Funko figures being like Beanie Babies. Funko figures do have some short print, variants, etc. that make them a bit more collectible than something like the Tabasco bull beanie baby or whatever the more expensive items were.

Today, people are all about the uniqueness of a collectible making them 1 of 1 owning something or 1 of 20 or 1 of 1000, etc. Money is being spent wildly in the collectibles industry over the last 18 months or so. 30 years ago Wayne Gretzky bought a Honus Wagner rookie card for about $450k. A similar card sold for $6.6M a few weeks ago. Five years ago one sold for $3.1M.
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:07 pm

Knutsen wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
Knutsen wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Of course, I am free and dedicated to quality.

No you’re not.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:08 pm

jaybird wrote:Bands can come up with as much preposterous merch as they can imagine, and if their fans are the sort of dipshits who just NEED to have the band logo on flip-flops or keychains or fidget-spinners or coffins, then I'm all for it.

God damn. *Want*
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:09 pm

FormerLurker wrote:Image

:lol:
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:12 pm

Knutsen wrote:Would be great if they‘d put the money into the production of the design of their album covers.

You mean the thumbnail on Spotify?
SamDBL

Postby Knutsen » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:16 pm

No, I mean the actual vinyl album cover.
Knutsen

Postby SamDBL » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:22 am

Knutsen wrote:No, I mean the actual vinyl album cover.

I believe you missed my point.
SamDBL

Postby Knutsen » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:40 am

The important point is that the big dick glass dildo from the Rammstein selection is from the bassplayer.
Knutsen

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:22 am

lewdd wrote:I would say there is an exception to Funko figures being like Beanie Babies. Funko figures do have some short print, variants, etc. that make them a bit more collectible than something like the Tabasco bull beanie baby or whatever the more expensive items were.

Today, people are all about the uniqueness of a collectible making them 1 of 1 owning something or 1 of 20 or 1 of 1000, etc. Money is being spent wildly in the collectibles industry over the last 18 months or so. 30 years ago Wayne Gretzky bought a Honus Wagner rookie card for about $450k. A similar card sold for $6.6M a few weeks ago. Five years ago one sold for $3.1M.

It's just another collectible bubble waiting to burst. The HW card is a damn sight different in many ways than Funko figures as it is far more rare. Wouldn't be surprised if there is some shilling and self-dealing there though.

This video focuses on games, but also touches on other categories. The fundamentals of the bubble are the same.
patient_ot

Postby jaybird » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:52 pm

jaybird wrote:Your favorite band(s) are now collectible toy retailers.

https://super7.com/collections/music-ac ... -to-be-you
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Kinda want that with the graph paper shirt and all.
FormerLurker

Postby kevin » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:37 pm

jaybird wrote:Bands can come up with as much preposterous merch as they can imagine, and if their fans are the sort of dipshits who just NEED to have the band logo on flip-flops or keychains or fidget-spinners or coffins, then I'm all for it.

Looks like a Wendy O action figure accessory
kevin

Return to daghouse