Let's talk Turnstile.

Let's talk Turnstile.

Postby Crazy Old Man » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Where I'm coming from...I love Inside Out. I like maybe 3 RATM songs. I don't like 311. I can tolerate some rapcore groups, and I do like a bunch of newer hardcore bands.

My point? I feel like I really shouldn't be digging Turnstile as much as I do. But that shit just grabs me by the balls. They're all I'm listening to lately.

Who else? Do we love 'em? Hate 'em?
Crazy Old Man

Re: Let's talk Turnstile.

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:46 am

When they first started getting buzz, I didn't get it at all.

Then the first LP, after being out for a while, really grabbed me.

The second LP is good, but not as good as the first.

The new album is the best thing they've ever done, will rightfully put them up as the most popular hardcore band in quite some time. It's a contender for album of the year.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:01 am

Is their new LP better than the first LP by The Bronx?
lewdd

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:17 am

Checked out a few songs... sounds like mid-tempo, heavy melodic sorta hardcore/sorta nü-metal/sorta grunge... reminds me of Incubus or one of those 90s bands. Not totally terrible, but not at all my thing either.

jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:25 am

lewdd wrote:Is their new LP better than the first LP by The Bronx?

I like the Bronx but no idea what that has to do with this. Am I missing a connection? haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:51 am

gregpolard wrote:
lewdd wrote:Is their new LP better than the first LP by The Bronx?

I like the Bronx but no idea what that has to do with this. Am I missing a connection? haha

Yeah, I don't get the connection here either, but the new Bronx album is pretty fantastic:

jaybird

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:00 am

Yeah, I dig THE BRONX a lot. They're like an "indie" version of the Foo Fighters, for lack of a better description. A straight up rock band, influenced by punk, hardcore, and classic rock in equal measure. Shame they toured as openers for Rancid and Dropkick Murphys - would love to see them at a headlining club show.

I guess I'll check out TURNSTILE based on the description.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:09 am

scannest wrote:Yeah, I dig THE BRONX a lot. They're like an "indie" version of the Foo Fighters, for lack of a better description. A straight up rock band, influenced by punk, hardcore, and classic rock in equal measure. Shame they toured as openers for Rancid and Dropkick Murphys - would love to see them at a headlining club show.

I guess I'll check out TURNSTILE based on the description.

To me, they sound like Janes Addiction, "I Against I" era Brains, Refused, The Police & Helmet (those riffs!) in a blender
Scanny, I believe they share 3 members with Angel Du$t.
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:20 am

Greg, you mentioned that you felt the Turnstile new album was the best hardcore album you have heard in some time. I feel the first Bronx LP is the best hardcore album since 2000. I was trying to get a perspective on how you felt Turnstile compared to assess whether I want to listen to it.

Scanny, I feel the first LP by the Bronx is closer to a hardcore record and then they mixed up their style after that. While I do like several songs on those next five releases, the first one is by far my favorite. I don't think there is a song I don't like. Unfortunately, the vinyl version is super expensive. I would really like to hear how it sounds on vinyl versus CD or streaming, but will settle with what I have for now.

jaybird, I think the newest Bronx LP is the best of theirs since the first one although there are several songs that go off in a direction that is currently beyond my listening pleasures.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:34 am

lewdd wrote:Greg, you mentioned that you felt the Turnstile new album was the best hardcore album you have heard in some time. I feel the first Bronx LP is the best hardcore album since 2000. I was trying to get a perspective on how you felt Turnstile compared to assess whether I want to listen to it.

Scanny, I feel the first LP by the Bronx is closer to a hardcore record and then they mixed up their style after that. While I do like several songs on those next five releases, the first one is by far my favorite. I don't think there is a song I don't like. Unfortunately, the vinyl version is super expensive. I would really like to hear how it sounds on vinyl versus CD or streaming, but will settle with what I have for now.

jaybird, I think the newest Bronx LP is the best of theirs since the first one although there are several songs that go off in a direction that is currently beyond my listening pleasures.

Gotcha. I mean...isn't the first Bronx almost 20 years old as it is? For me when I say recent times I mean like...this year - should have clarified. haha
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:45 am

lewdd wrote:Greg, you mentioned that you felt the Turnstile new album was the best hardcore album you have heard in some time. I feel the first Bronx LP is the best hardcore album since 2000. I was trying to get a perspective on how you felt Turnstile compared to assess whether I want to listen to it.

I'm not really all that familiar with them... I have known about them since they started, and I have many friends who love them, but for whatever reason, nothing I ever heard by them over all the intervening years has ever really stood out or connected with me until the songs I've been hearing from this latest record. i guess I need to revisit some of the earlier records and start working my way backward.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:04 pm

I finally gave the new album a listen today. I already like it more than the last album, but was put off at first by the vocals on the 1st few tracks. They sound like Papa Roach or something in that vein even when the music is much more interesting. I also hear late '80s Bad Brains and Helmet, but some tracks have a modern indie feel that's not dissimilar to bands on Captured Tracks like DIIV or Beach Fossils or even a band like Dehd or some of Mac DeMarco's stuff, et al.

I think it's gonna grow on me and I already like it, but the vocals are going to be the biggest obstacle for me to go from like to love. We'll see.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:05 pm

lewdd

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:47 pm

I listened to the new Turnstile record and I like it A LOT. Really musical with all sorts of percussion and whiplash style changes. More than anything else it reminds of the type of stuff Mike Patton has been doing for ages with bands like Faith No More and Tomahawk, without tripping over its own smarts (which Patton has a tendency to do). So yeah, big thumbs up from me.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:14 pm

I can't stop listening to it! It's great for jogging, too.
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:10 pm

jaybird

Postby the mean » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:35 pm

I had only heard one Turnstile song that someone linked to about a year ago. It sounded like a poorly produced 311.

I checked out the Seth Meyers appearance. That first song is not bad. Sounds like Quicksand meets Janes Addiction. I'm not really fond of either of those bands, but the Turnstile song kinda rocks. The second song is horrible, though.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:53 pm

jaybird wrote:How to write a Turnstile song:

https://www.tiktok.com/@superhaunted/vi ... _webapp=v1

:lol:

Lol. I also agree with your assessment of this totally Meh outfit.
SamDBL

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:35 pm

the mean wrote:I had only heard one Turnstile song that someone linked to about a year ago. It sounded like a poorly produced 311.

I checked out the Seth Meyers appearance. That first song is not bad. Sounds like Quicksand meets Janes Addiction. I'm not really fond of either of those bands, but the Turnstile song kinda rocks. The second song is horrible, though.

I hadn't really listened to them before about a month ago, but after giving their new LP a few listens, I fuck with it. To me, it sounds so much like Shelter/Ray Cappo vocals mixed with some metalish-grooves. As compared to the karate-kicking-tuff-guy shit that I usually hear when I attempt to listen to semi-newer bands, this is a total breath of fresh air. I can see why they have appeal with fans of several genres or age-groups and I can also see why some people write them off.
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:18 pm

I really enjoyed the performance on Seth Meyers' show. I can see why they have the reputation as a great live band. That's all I've got.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Album still in heavy rotation for me. Can't wait to see them in May .
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:58 pm

I was kinda turned off after seeing them on Seth Meyers. Something about that fuckin Jackson guitar and the singer's dance moves...it just reeked a little too much of rap-rock, or nu metal. It's petty to say it changed my opinion of the record a little, but I am nothing if not petty.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:05 pm

scannest wrote:I was kinda turned off after seeing them on Seth Meyers. Something about that fuckin Jackson guitar and the singer's dance moves...it just reeked a little too much of rap-rock, or nu metal. It's petty to say it changed my opinion of the record a little, but I am nothing if not petty.

Don’t forget about the shirtless drummer. If the studio was that hot, why was the bassist wearing a varsity jacket and the guitarist a ski hat?
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:22 pm

Seth Myers performance was great IMO. Even my wife who is not into HC really save for Bad Brains and Minor Threat was like "this band is really good"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:30 pm

I have never heard them. Nor have I heard of them.
Hello.
pedro

Postby the mean » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:50 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:I was kinda turned off after seeing them on Seth Meyers. Something about that fuckin Jackson guitar and the singer's dance moves...it just reeked a little too much of rap-rock, or nu metal. It's petty to say it changed my opinion of the record a little, but I am nothing if not petty.

Don’t forget about the shirtless drummer. If the studio was that hot, why was the bassist wearing a varsity jacket and the guitarist a ski hat?

Dude had his shirt on, and then took at off as soon as the camera hit him.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:31 pm

Speaking of drummers, in summer of 1997 I went to Epitaph's "Summer Nationals" at the Roxy in NYC as a "roadie" of a friend's band, it was back when I guess Epitaph was doing well because they got all the bands hotel rooms in a nice hotel just off Times Square and even I got a room. After the show I was hob-nobbing with Epitaph punk bands in the bar of a hotel I couldn't afford, drinking drinks I couldn't afford, this was the good life!

Anyway, that night the Voodoo Glow Skulls played. I was backstage and the drummer walks up, gets totally naked, walks on stage, puts a towel down on the drum throne , plays the set, gets behind the curtain, puts his clothes back on and walks off. I thought it was the oddest thing. I know Rollins liked his tight black shorts, Lifetime guitarist used to play barefoot etc, but getting buck ass naked and playing drums? I thought it was pretty funny and took a photo but unfortunately (or fortunately) it didn't come out that well:

FlexMyHead

Postby Marc M » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:49 pm

Turnstile is this generation's Bad Brains. They are that good.
Marc M

Postby BAIN » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:51 pm

Marc M wrote:Turnstile is this generation's Bad Brains. They are that good.

neither band does a a thing for me so I would suspect that the majority will have to agree with this comment
Last edited by BAIN on Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BAIN

Postby target » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:27 pm

I made it through about 29 seconds of the Seth Meyers clip
target

Postby version sound » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:17 pm

Time and Space is quite good. Reminds me of a more hardcore ATDI, with some Jane’s Addiction mixed in. The new one is definitely a lot more eclectic. I’ve listened to bits of the songs, and it was interesting. I might learn to like it with a few listens.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:27 pm

I listened to 'Glow On' last night. I'd never heard this band before, but I think Welly called them 'Sports-metal'. (Whatever that's supposed to mean).

First listen, it's not bad. I can see the appeal to a bigger crowd. Revolver magazine likes them. I may listen again.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby jaybird » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:46 pm

Yeah, like I said upthread, they're not terrible... if I was 20 or 30 years younger, I'd probably be much more into them. And I guess it's a good sign that an actual rock band - with roots in the hardcore punk scene, and whose members are still under the age of 30 no less - is getting some serious mainstream buzz. There is still apparently some life left in the bloated corpse of rock and roll after all... But it's nothing I haven't heard in some form or another over the last 35 years or so that I've been actively following this sort of music.
jaybird

Return to daghouse