Adult Contemporary

Adult Contemporary

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:15 pm

Geez, I know I'm old but I don't like the idea that I'm actually starting to like some of these artists that I shouldn't like... because I'm too smart... and too hip for the hipsters.... Plus I still listen to a ton of metal, hardcore, noise and underground house and electronica.

But around midnight I start listening to WFUV and I actually like music from:

Santigold
Florence + the Machine
John Mayer
Tycho & Benjamin Gibbard

Oh well. My youth is long gone anyhow. Maybe I can shave off a few years by moshing in the pit next time Exodus comes to play NY.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Adult Contemporary

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:15 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Geez, I know I'm old but I don't like the idea that I'm actually starting to like some of these artists that I shouldn't like... because I'm too smart... and too hip for the hipsters.... Plus I still listen to a ton of metal, hardcore, noise and underground house and electronica.

Santigold
Florence + the Machine
John Mayer
Tycho & Benjamin Gibbard

Oh well. My youth is long gone anyhow. Maybe I can shave off a few years by moshing in the pit next time Exodus comes to play NY.

Florence and John M are not to my taste at all (though they are a great vocalist and guitar player, respectively), but I love a few songs by Santigold as well. This is a stone-cold classic of late '00s indie and when she was known as Santogold on her 1st album. I haven't kept up with her output at all, though.

This one is great, too. Same era.

I don't know the Tycho/Ben Gibbard collaboration you mentioned, but I've been a fan of Ben and Death Cab since the early '00s. Transatlanticism (especially) and Plans are two of the finest rock records made in the last 20 years IMO.

Labels aren't really important here or in general, but FUV is a AAA station like WXPN in Philly, for example, not adult contemporary at all really. That's mainstream stuff like Celine Dion, Billy Joel, et al. (some of which I like, too).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:25 pm

I don't know anything about Ben, but I like Tycho a lot and so the song appealed to me.

As I said, I'm an old fuck, but I like a lot of electronica and Tycho do it classy.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby jaybird » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:00 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Geez, I know I'm old but I don't like the idea that I'm actually starting to like some of these artists that I shouldn't like... because I'm too smart... and too hip for the hipsters.... Plus I still listen to a ton of metal, hardcore, noise and underground house and electronica.

Santigold
Florence + the Machine
John Mayer
Tycho & Benjamin Gibbard

i do like the stuff I've heard where he plays with Dead & Company on the Sirius Grateful Dead channel

jaybird

Postby Mark T. » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:29 am

JGJR wrote:

Wow this could be a Missing Persons song. Santigold is new to me, definitely going to have to check out more.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:01 pm

Mark T. wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Wow this could be a Missing Persons song. Santigold is new to me, definitely going to have to check out more.

Great comparison and I agree.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:18 pm

Never heard of this Santigold chick until now, but I dig it quite a bit... reminds me a lot of 80s new wave-y stuff like Berlin or something.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:10 am

jaybird wrote:Never heard of this Santigold chick until now, but I dig it quite a bit... reminds me a lot of 80s new wave-y stuff like Berlin or something.

Another good comparison; more "The Metro" and that era than "Take My Breath Away" but yeah pretty spot-on.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:32 pm

Call me a hypocrite, but for some reason I can't seem to enjoy the same sound 30 years later.

I was asked to play some song by a band called Microwave tonight. Never heard of them. Don't care to hear them again.
lewdd

Postby Knutsen » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:57 pm

Do The War on Drugs count as adult contemporary?
I like them.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Return to daghouse