Stoned: Charlie Watts Dead

Stoned: Charlie Watts Dead

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:09 am

Charlie Watts, the Rolling Stones’ drummer since the legendary rock group formed, has died at age 80, according to his London publicist, Bernard Doherty.

Doherty announced in a statement Tuesday morning: "It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts. He passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family. Charlie was a cherished husband, father and grandfather and also as a member of the Rolling Stones one of the greatest drummers of his generation. We kindly request that the privacy of his family, band members and close friends is respected at this difficult time." The statement was later shared by the Stones' official Twitter account.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rol ... 30812.html
Hello.
pedro

Re: Stoned: Charlie Watts Dead

Postby lewdd » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:23 am

You beat me to the post. Sad day for rock and roll and British blues.
lewdd

Postby drew » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:46 pm

Sad day for Rock.

Did you see Keith today? Skydiving while fucking a stripper
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:19 pm

Here's to Charlie. Glad I got to see him play. 1981.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:46 pm

lewdd

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:19 pm

When I was in college target and his girlfriend bought me a ticket to see them at RFK. I had mixed emotions about it, I was a punk rocker after all, but I am glad they dragged me there. If I remember correctly Mick looked right at target's girlfriend during "Tumbling Dice."

It was this one: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-roll ... 6fa5b.html
Hello.
pedro

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:54 pm

I saw that tour at Foxboro...my first time seeing the Stones. Great show!

RIP Charlie
Hal

Postby lewdd » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:06 pm

pedro wrote:When I was in college target and his girlfriend bought me a ticket to see them at RFK. I had mixed emotions about it, I was a punk rocker after all, but I am glad they dragged me there. If I remember correctly Mick looked right at target's girlfriend during "Tumbling Dice."

It was this one: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-roll ... 6fa5b.html

Damn 26 songs. Did that last 2.5 hours?
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:50 pm

This was my setlist. At that point my 2 favorite songs were 'Neighbors' and 'Hang Fire'. I won 2 tickets from a mail in lottery because this was their ...*ahem..'farewell tour' :?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-roll ... 6efc2.html

Under My Thumb
When the Whip Comes Down
Let's Spend the Night Together
Shattered
Neighbours
Black Limousine
Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
Twenty Flight Rock(Eddie Cochran cover)
Going to a Go-Go ( Miracles cover)
Let Me Go
Time Is on My Side (Kai Winding & His Orchestra cover)
Beast of Burden
Waiting on a Friend
Let It Bleed
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Little T&A (Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
Hang Fire
Miss You
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Woman
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Encore:
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:55 am

Oh, that's cool they started the set with a Social Distortion song.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:18 pm

lewdd wrote:Oh, that's cool they started the set with a Social Distortion song.

"Backstreet Girl" was also in their setlist, but they didn't play it that night. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:34 pm

JGJR wrote:

"Backstreet Girl" was also in their setlist, but they didn't play it that night. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How about the CH3 song "Stupid Girl"?
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:46 pm

lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I forgot that they (CH3) covered that.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:58 pm

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I forgot that they (CH3) covered that.

I didn't know it until I was sitting in a bar at a hotel in Pittsburgh and heard it playing over the speakers. Up until then, I didn't know it was a Stones cover. This is only like 7-10 years ago.
lewdd

Postby Knutsen » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:46 am

„We developed a friendship. He was always an incredibly lovely, sophisticated individual. I first met him around 1979 or 1980 – the Stones were playing a couple of nights in Madison Square Garden, and I was tagging along for this interview for Modern Drummer with a friend of mine. He was wearing a three-piece Savile Row suit, just incredibly turned out, and invites us into his hotel room so he can unpack. He had two beautiful leather suitcases on the bed, and he opened them up. Everything was immaculately folded; there was a precise toiletries kit. It was the exact opposite of the way I travel on the road. He took his clothes out of his suitcases, put them on the bed, refolded them, and put them in the drawers. I had never used a drawer in a hotel room in 15 years of being on the road. I thought it was one of the coolest things I’d ever seen. We did this interview, ordered room service, and he realised he had to get picked up to go to the Garden. He went into the bedroom, and came out wearing sweatpants and a sort of ripped T-shirt.
He’d looked like an English lord, with this handsome, aristocratic, craggy face, and now he’s so dressed down to go “play with them”, as he said. Not “go play with my band, our band”, it was always “them, the Stones”. There was this funny kind of distance.„
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:04 am

Knutsen wrote:„We developed a friendship. He was always an incredibly lovely, sophisticated individual. I first met him around 1979 or 1980 – the Stones were playing a couple of nights in Madison Square Garden, and I was tagging along for this interview for Modern Drummer with a friend of mine. He was wearing a three-piece Savile Row suit, just incredibly turned out, and invites us into his hotel room so he can unpack. He had two beautiful leather suitcases on the bed, and he opened them up. Everything was immaculately folded; there was a precise toiletries kit. It was the exact opposite of the way I travel on the road. He took his clothes out of his suitcases, put them on the bed, refolded them, and put them in the drawers. I had never used a drawer in a hotel room in 15 years of being on the road. I thought it was one of the coolest things I’d ever seen. We did this interview, ordered room service, and he realised he had to get picked up to go to the Garden. He went into the bedroom, and came out wearing sweatpants and a sort of ripped T-shirt.
He’d looked like an English lord, with this handsome, aristocratic, craggy face, and now he’s so dressed down to go “play with them”, as he said. Not “go play with my band, our band”, it was always “them, the Stones”. There was this funny kind of distance.„

This is great. Who is that quote from?
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:26 pm

First record i ever owned.. my Grandfather bought it for me at a church rummage sale when I was 5.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:39 pm

jaybird wrote:First record i ever owned.. my Grandfather bought it for me at a church rummage sale when I was 5.

I've been listening to a TON of Stones lately; this morning it was side 3 of Hot Rocks; December's Children and Flowers yesterday. I spent last week listening to '70s/early '80s Stones (Exile, Black and Blue, Some Girls, Tattoo You) and I've been listening to Beggars Banquet a lot as well.
JGJR

Postby target » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:11 pm

JGJR wrote:
Knutsen wrote:„We developed a friendship. He was always an incredibly lovely, sophisticated individual. I first met him around 1979 or 1980 – the Stones were playing a couple of nights in Madison Square Garden, and I was tagging along for this interview for Modern Drummer with a friend of mine. He was wearing a three-piece Savile Row suit, just incredibly turned out, and invites us into his hotel room so he can unpack. He had two beautiful leather suitcases on the bed, and he opened them up. Everything was immaculately folded; there was a precise toiletries kit. It was the exact opposite of the way I travel on the road. He took his clothes out of his suitcases, put them on the bed, refolded them, and put them in the drawers. I had never used a drawer in a hotel room in 15 years of being on the road. I thought it was one of the coolest things I’d ever seen. We did this interview, ordered room service, and he realised he had to get picked up to go to the Garden. He went into the bedroom, and came out wearing sweatpants and a sort of ripped T-shirt.

This is great. Who is that quote from?

Max Weinberg
target

Return to daghouse