Early Bad Brains

Early Bad Brains

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:33 am

I watched Punk The Capital last night. There are a bunch of killer clips of the early Bad Brains playing their classic songs at a slower pace. Frankly, I preferred them to the RFL/ROIR versions. That’s all I got.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: Early Bad Brains

Postby drew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:52 am

Yea, early stuff is great but it’s Punk. Not hardcore yet. That they were able to make the conscious decision to “speed up” or whatever is what is historic.
drew

Postby SamDBL » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:57 am

They were quite good as far as hardcore bands go. But I feel like the greatness of those first few releases is way over rated. I Against I is the real masterpiece that should go down in the history books. A truly unique record with a totally new sound and great songs. Before that, they were a fairly tight hardcore band. Big whoop.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:58 am

SamDBL wrote:They were quite good as far as hardcore bands go. But I feel like the greatness of those first few releases is way over rated. I Against I is the real masterpiece that should go down in the history books. A truly unique record with a totally new sound and great songs. Before that, they were a fairly tight hardcore band. Big whoop.

Bronzed 'n' huged

This kinda goes with my long-held theory that 1987 was a watershed year for the punk/indie/hardcore scene... so many bands made huge leaps in overall concept and execution that year, and took the genre(s) to new places: Bad Brains/I Against I, Government Issue/You, Descendents/ALL, Dag Nasty/Wig Out Dinosaur Jr./You're Living All Over Me The Nils/S/T... and even already well-established/critically acclaimed bands put out definitive/landmark albums - Hüsker Dü/Warehouse, Replacements/Pleased To Meet Me R.E.M./Document, U2/Joshua Tree... was also the year i graduated high-school, so a lot of that music has a special emotional/psychological significance to me, but i do think it was an objectively standout year for music:

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2013/0 ... s-of-1987/
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:28 am

jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:They were quite good as far as hardcore bands go. But I feel like the greatness of those first few releases is way over rated. I Against I is the real masterpiece that should go down in the history books. A truly unique record with a totally new sound and great songs. Before that, they were a fairly tight hardcore band. Big whoop.

Bronzed 'n' huged

This kinda goes with my long-held theory that 1987 was a watershed year for the punk/indie/hardcore scene... so many bands made huge leaps in overall concept and execution that year, and took the genre(s) to new places: Bad Brains/I Against I, Government Issue/You, Descendents/ALL, Dag Nasty/Wig Out Dinosaur Jr./You're Living All Over Me The Nils/S/T... and even already well-established/critically acclaimed bands put out definitive/landmark albums - Hüsker Dü/Warehouse, Replacements/Pleased To Meet Me R.E.M./Document, U2/Joshua Tree... was also the year i graduated high-school, so a lot of that music has a special emotional/psychological significance to me, but i do think it was an objectively standout year for music:

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2013/0 ... s-of-1987/

Absolutely.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:04 am

Minor Threat was a lot better.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:12 am

1987 HS grad too...rock on, jaybird!
lewdd

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Yep. Slobbering all over the BB is the "but I've got black friends!" of punk fandom.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:44 pm

FormerLurker wrote:

Yep. Slobbering all over the BB is the "but I've got black friends!" of punk fandom.

:lol:
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:08 pm

And, to be clear, I am a fan, though moderate and not slobberin'.
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:46 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Minor Threat was a lot better.

Yep.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:46 pm

FormerLurker wrote:

:lol: :lol:
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:24 am

FormerLurker wrote:

WUT
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:46 am

Randie and the Revisionists
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:01 pm

The revisionism is coming from those who are saying that they were just an "ok" hardcore band.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby target » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:25 pm

Another class of '87er here.

for me, the best BB album was rock for light. but like others have posted, it might have to do with my personal experience. I got it first and wore it out. I think Ron St. Germain's production on I vs I is wicked, and far superior, and the screaming guitar squeal on the ROIR cassette hits harder. RFL is simply the one i got first.

I think Bad Brains were head and shoulders above any hardcore band at the time.
target

Postby SamDBL » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:28 pm

I think they were a really awesome hardcore band. But a really awesome hardcore band vs a really awesome rock band is just no comparison, to me. And god help anyone that tries to claim they were jazz fusion-level musicians that just decided to slum it as a punk band. That is one of the more ridiculous claims in the mythology that has become early 80s hardcore.
SamDBL

Postby Knutsen » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:43 am

The BB played better Reggae than Minor Threat.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby jaybird » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:10 am

Knutsen wrote:The BB played better Reggae than Minor Threat.

Few things in the history of punk and hardcore were ever funnier than watching punker suburban white kids trying to hide their boredom, impatience, confusion and irritation at a Bad Brains show when they go into one of their interminable reggae slow-jams. "Haile who? Ethiopia what now"? :lol:

jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:29 pm

LOL, it's pretty apparent on the 1982 CBGB's DVD.
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:53 pm

jaybird wrote:
Knutsen wrote:The BB played better Reggae than Minor Threat.

Few things in the history of punk and hardcore were ever funnier than watching punker suburban white kids trying to hide their boredom, impatience, confusion and irritation at a Bad Brains show when they go into one of their interminable reggae slow-jams. "Haile who? Ethiopia what now"? :lol:

:lol:
SamDBL

Postby Knutsen » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:17 am

The chill out Reggae tunes had quite some use to catch a breath in between the fast songs.

And yeah, the I Against I album is a masterpiece.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Return to daghouse