Quicksand "Distant Populations" LP

Quicksand "Distant Populations" LP

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:14 am

I'm on my 4th listen on Spotify. (vinyl isn't out til next month)

Just wanted to say that anyone who was not impressed with "Interiors" (which took quite a while to grow on me - really enjoy now) needs to give this one a shot. It's heavier, tighter, catchier....I'm in love!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Quicksand "Distant Populations" LP

Postby Hal » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:49 pm

::cues up for commute home::
Hal

Postby drew » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:13 am

A couple of listens in, I dig it. Funny that the first two songs they released are the worst tunes on the record. Can’t wait to see them.
drew

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:29 am

Walter has become a much better singer over the years. Their formula hasn't changed all that much, which is fine. I like bands when they sound like what I liked about them in the first place.

New guitarist is also in Cave In. Guess I gotta listen to 'Jupiter' now?

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:49 pm

scannest wrote:Walter has become a much better singer over the years. Their formula hasn't changed all that much, which is fine. I like bands when they sound like what I liked about them in the first place.

New guitarist is also in Cave In. Guess I gotta listen to 'Jupiter' now?

Try "Antenna', the album after "Jupiter". It's my personal favorite. It's their lone major label album but it's a ripper.

It's funny...I was into Cave In when they first released "Beyond Hypothermia" which was a collection of their early 7"s when they had a standalone singer that wasn't Stephen Brodsky. At the time, Brodsky just played guitar and sang backups. In fact, when Brodsky first took over on vocals I remember a friend telling me about it and I was like "no way that's gonna work!" LOL! then they put out "Until Your Heart Stops" which is a monster. It took me a while to grow into the later stuff and now I absolutely love it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:08 pm

I listened to Jupiter today and I loved it. Sure, I heard Quicksand, but I also heard Smashing Pumpkins and HUM and At the Drive In (with better vocals than all those bands). I always avoided them because of the 'post-hardcore' label. I thought it was just gonna be more self-serious screaming and down-tuned guitars. It's much musical than I expected. Will check out that other record as well.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:30 am

This is now my official favorite Quicksand album. I like the first 3 some more than others, but ‘Distant Populations’ is their most sophisticated, and deepest.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:39 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:This is now my official favorite Quicksand album. I like the first 3 some more than others, but ‘Distant Populations’ is their most sophisticated, and deepest.

SLIP- For me its in the pantheon of all-time great albums. But, the 2nd album isn't very good, only a couple of great tunes and the last one is good, not great. This one is very good, I guess I'd say its their 2nd best album.......still not as good as the 1st 7" & the Triptych 12"
drew

Postby drew » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:39 pm

Get a ticket for Wed. 9/29 at Stone Pony
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:40 pm

drew wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:This is now my official favorite Quicksand album. I like the first 3 some more than others, but ‘Distant Populations’ is their most sophisticated, and deepest.

SLIP- For me its in the pantheon of all-time great albums. But, the 2nd album isn't very good, only a couple of great tunes and the last one is good, not great. This one is very good, I guess I'd say its their 2nd best album.......still not as good as the 1st 7" & the Triptych 12"

TBH....Cave In's "Antennae" is better than all of them. Perfect album and prolly one of the 2000's all time greatest albums.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:45 pm

drew wrote:

I'm honestly a way more casual fan than you are in that I've somehow only really listened to them in the last 10-15 years or so and not that often, but I definitely prefer the 7" and Slip over Manic Compression. I also really like the stuff I've heard from the new one and it seems to be more in line with the style of Slip and probaby more up my alley then. I'm not really sure, though. I've never heard Interiors.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:52 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

I'm honestly a way more casual fan than you are in that I've somehow only really listened to them in the last 10-15 years or so and not that often, but I definitely prefer the 7" and Slip over Manic Compression. I also really like the stuff I've heard from the new one and it seems to be more in line with the style of Slip and probaby more up my alley then. I'm not really sure, though. I've never heard Interiors.

I am not a big fan either. Not by a long shot. I do LIKE their music, I've never seen them live and I have no plans to either. But this new album is REALLY good. To me their best.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:39 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

I am not a big fan either. Not by a long shot. I do LIKE their music, I've never seen them live and I have no plans to either. But this new album is REALLY good. To me their best.

I didn't see them play until I think 2013 and I thought they were really good.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:48 am

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

Great set! Glad I got to see them w/ TC3.
gregpolard

Postby drew » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:38 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:

Great set! Glad I got to see them w/ TC3.

The last time I saw them with TC3 at the Vans Space in BK they were really good but the last two times as a 3-piece they were better. I think Tom lost a step because of his problems. Sucks
drew

Return to daghouse