Fake Names new EP

Fake Names new EP

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:07 am

Surprise dropped today. Looks to be digital only thus far. 3 songs. Brendan Canty on drums. I'm on first listen, has much more of a DC vibe than the LP
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Fake Names new EP

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:14 am

update: According to BB post on IG - physical version will eventually surface on Outer Battery Records, who did a killer job on the Faith live LP
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:19 am

bandcamp?
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:24 am

Doesn't appear to be at least according to www.fakenamesofficial.com
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:32 am

It's on Spotify - and I dig it at least 17 times more than the first album. Hampton says he expects it'll come out on a 7" at some point. They're also working on a second full-length. Let's hope it's more of this.

"Running" is a killer track.
captain2man

Postby lewdd » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:19 pm

"Running" could have been a Dag song
lewdd

Postby jaybird » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:21 pm

lewdd wrote:"Running" could have been a Dag song

Thought the same thing... like this a lot more than what I heard of the full-length last year.
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:26 pm

For ease of reference:

This one seems a bit more Fugazi-ish, if Fugazi had better guitar playing, singing, hooks and melodies.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:25 pm

I have met and/or been involved in conversations with 2 members of this band just in the past 3 weeks or so. I should give this a listen then. :lol: Judging by the comments, I am probably going to like this much more than Lp and the live show a few years back as well.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Mark T. » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:53 pm

Cool tunes.

Running - Interesting how BB seems to be inflluenced by Sam (Down By Law/Pseudo Herores), I thought it went the other way around . . .

It Will Take A Lifetime - Definite Ian (Egghunt, Fugazi, Evens) vibes there.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:31 am

captain2man wrote:It's on Spotify - and I dig it at least 17 times more than the first album. Hampton says he expects it'll come out on a 7" at some point. They're also working on a second full-length. Let's hope it's more of this.

"Running" is a killer track.

All of this; glad it'll be on Outer Battery. I really like their Swervedriver and (more to the point of this discussion) Faith releases. Very heavy Wig Out vibes on a few tracks and an Embrace-ish riff on the 1st track. I'm in.
JGJR

Postby rawpowerNZ » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:03 pm

It Will Take A Lifetime chorus sounds like Wellys cousins, the Manic Street Preachers.
rawpowerNZ

Postby Nico » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:51 am

Definitely a step up, really wish Canty will join this band.
Nico

Postby Gary » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:47 am

I wasn't into the previous release. But will listen to this again.
Gary

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:30 am

I guess I'm in the minority, I really liked the previous LP. Still listen to it occasionally. I enjoy listening to it with headphones to dig deep into the guitar interplay between Hampton/Baker. Their strumming and riff patterns are so different, yet they seem to mesh together like a zipper. I like these new tracks. Brendan's drumming gives at least two of the three a much less linear sound than anything on the LP. As stated above, I hope he joins this band full-time. Looking forward to hearing the new LP.
Hal

Postby scannest » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:47 am

I loved the album, I like this just fine, and will continue to pay attention to what they do.
I deeply regret missing their show in Brooklyn. As far as I know, it's the only one they've played.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 am

I, too, really enjoy the LP. I didn't get the flack it received from some
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:47 am

scannest wrote:I deeply regret missing their show in Brooklyn. As far as I know, it's the only one they've played.

They were on a number of festival bills last summer. Had they not been cancelled, I think the band would have gained a lot of fans.
Hal

Postby gregpolard » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:10 am

Actually I realize what the flack was "IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE EMBRACE THEY PROMISED ME EMRBACE" which is kinda wild to expect that they were going to sound like that given 1) they share ONE member and 2) it's a record from 35 years ago.
gregpolard

Postby drew » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:25 pm

I like this a lot better than the LP. I thought that should have been an EP also. They were cool live, I’m sure I would see them again.
drew

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:Actually I realize what the flack was "IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE EMBRACE THEY PROMISED ME EMRBACE" which is kinda wild to expect that they were going to sound like that given 1) they share ONE member and 2) it's a record from 35 years ago.

I get that, but it was interesting to me that when I saw them with Hammered Hulls a few years ago, Mark Cisneros (gutiarist for HH) sounded much more like mid-'80s Hampton than he himself did earlier that evening. And also it was interesting to see one of the great indie guitar heroes of the last 30 years (Mary Timony) play bass, sorta like BB himself in Minor Threat kinda.
JGJR

Return to daghouse