Verbal mother fucking Assault

Verbal mother fucking Assault

Postby SamDBL » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:11 pm

Did I really just read that they are doing a couple of reunion shows? One of the few bands of that era/genre that truly stood the test of time. I would really be bowled over to see this happen. Especially since the singer once told me he’d nevernevernevernevernevereveninamillionyearsevernever sing again or consider any sort of reunion.
SamDBL

Re: Verbal mother fucking Assault

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:40 pm

Hells yes, Slammy. This is "MORE.. than muzak."
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:56 pm

Tickets for the RI show are on sale now. Since I am playing a show with Rockin Bob that night (in wonderful Woosta :lol: ) I won't be at this one. Incidentally our drummer Bob Furapples will be playing this show as The FU's are opening. Then he will play the evening show with us! :!:

I hope to get tickets to the Cambridge show at the less than lovely Elks Lodge :bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 am

I prefer Verbal Abuse.
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 am

FormerLurker wrote:I prefer Verbal Abuse.

I typically use them as an example in conversations about how the hardcore scene of the 80's, despite it's mythical status, became synonymous with horrible music made by people barely trying as an excuse to propel related externalities such as organizing shows, moshing around with your friends in abandoned warehouses, and designing fliers. Sometimes I'll switch it up by using Bad Posture instead of VA. Anyway, I'll admit I barely remember what either of them sound like. And I do have a verbal abuse t shirt.
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:05 pm

:(
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:13 pm

Ok. Imma go back and listen today to see if I remembered right.
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:17 pm

I prefer "Rocks Your Liver" but whatever.
FormerLurker

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:20 pm

Two things:
I maintain that the 'music' aspect of bands like these prioritize the actual music part very low on their list of objectives. They seem to not have improved one iota after almost 3 decades. How can someone possibly not get any better in that span of time? The answer is that they don't give a fuck. This is all just a not-very-elaborate scheme to be the center of attention for a few moments.
Secondly, is that the same singer? God damn. Looks like it's been a long, hard ride.

SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:23 pm

That can't be Scotty W.
FormerLurker

Postby lewdd » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:30 pm

I love that Bad Posture song "GDMFSOB"
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:34 pm

lewdd wrote:I love that Bad Posture song "GDMFSOB"

I do, too. I also like Verbal Abuse.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:58 pm

SamDBL wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:I prefer Verbal Abuse.

I typically use them as an example in conversations about how the hardcore scene of the 80's, despite it's mythical status, became synonymous with horrible music made by people barely trying as an excuse to propel related externalities such as organizing shows, moshing around with your friends in abandoned warehouses, and designing fliers. Sometimes I'll switch it up by using Bad Posture instead of VA. Anyway, I'll admit I barely remember what either of them sound like. And I do have a verbal abuse t shirt.

:lol:

I do remember liking ...Rocks Your Liver back in the day, but I haven't heard it in probably 30 years.
jaybird

Postby the mean » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:02 pm

FormerLurker wrote:That can't be Scotty W.

Original vocalist Nicki Sicki has been back in the band for 10 year or so.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:12 pm

the mean wrote:

This is the vocalist I remember. Didn't he, or the band, pull double duty as some other shitty hardcore band at the same time?
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:36 pm

SamDBL wrote:Two things:
I maintain that the 'music' aspect of bands like these prioritize the actual music part very low on their list of objectives. They seem to not have improved one iota after almost 3 decades. How can someone possibly not get any better in that span of time? The answer is that they don't give a fuck. This is all just a not-very-elaborate scheme to be the center of attention for a few moments.
Secondly, is that the same singer? God damn. Looks like it's been a long, hard ride.

Comparing the 1988 set to the 2014 one, I'd say they actually got worse.
jaybird

Postby the mean » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:29 pm

SamDBL wrote:
the mean wrote:

This is the vocalist I remember. Didn't he, or the band, pull double duty as some other shitty hardcore band at the same time?

Your answers can likely be found on this website that I do with some friends:
http://www.bandtoband.com/band/verbal-abuse

The most interesting thing about Verbal Abuse is that they released a record with no original members. I saw them just before COVID and they were fine.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:46 pm

I think the Code Of Honor connection is what I was thinking of.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:25 pm

jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Two things:

Comparing the 1988 set to the 2014 one, I'd say they actually got worse.

Absolutely. And now I’m starting to wonder what the hell/fuck is going on. I remember the self title album (with the popular logo on front). That’s the version that I used to think was cool, but now I think kinda sucks. What I remember of them is much more in line with that shitty reunion clip. I don’t know what the fuck this ‘rocks your liver’ shit is referring to (sounds like an M.O.D. Album)… but the VA in that earlier clip sounds way tighter and more ‘crossover’ than I remember that band being. Is this some kind Doggystyl/TSOL shit where there are radical line up and style changes bouncing back and forth with VA that I missed?
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:55 pm

Yeah, I think RYL was their stab at being a party-punk/metal thing like Gang Green, I guess... I never delved any farther into their discography, and I have no clue about whatever lineup changes got them to this record... but I think it's OK for what it is as a product of its time and circumstances... the Elton John cover is fun anyway.

jaybird

Postby Marc M » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 pm

Super stoked on this.
Marc M

Postby the mean » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:12 am

jaybird wrote:Yeah, I think RYL was their stab at being a party-punk/metal thing like Gang Green, I guess... I never delved any farther into their discography, and I have no clue about whatever lineup changes got them to this record... but I think it's OK for what it is as a product of its time and circumstances... the Elton John cover is fun anyway.

Yeah, by the time they recorded "Rocks Your Liver", original singer and bassist were gone. The next two albums were without the original guitarist and drummer as well. Then they broke up. Got back together (of course) with OG singer and bassist #2.

Code of Honor rules. Verbal Assault is way better than both.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:22 pm

I’ll tell you what, that last 12” verbal assault did was sooooo good. When they just went total metal groove rock like Quicksand.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:01 pm

I just remembered I did a cover of verbal abuses ‘disintegration’ at some point. Can’t remember which band, though.
SamDBL

Postby patient_ot » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:14 pm

Maybe Verbal Abuse should have their own thread? Their first album is pretty good early 80s hardcore, but maybe not top tier. Dunno anything after that. I tend to avoid later records by bands that are basically a shell of what they were. Maybe I'm missing out, but I don't care enough about the band to investigate further.

Re: Verbal Assault, I haven't heard the Groove/On stuff in a LONG time but checked out the sample track on BC and it was better than I remembered. Probably not as good as anything on Trial though.
patient_ot

Postby the mean » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:07 pm

patient_ot wrote:Re: Verbal Assault, I haven't heard the Groove/On stuff in a LONG time but checked out the sample track on BC and it was better than I remembered. Probably not as good as anything on Trial though.

Not much is as good as Trial.
the mean

Postby jaybird » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:08 pm

Didn't the guitarist from Verbal Assault eventually start some weird sorta hippieish/jam-band/prog rock outfit after Verbal Assault? Rain Like The Sound of Trains or something? I vaguely remember that they were one of the bands at the epicenter of MRR's "if it's not three chord punk/hardcore/garage rock and/or on a major-affiliated label, fuck off" review policy controversy in the early 90s.
jaybird

Postby the mean » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:01 pm

jaybird wrote:Didn't the guitarist from Verbal Assault eventually start some weird sorta hippieish/jam-band/prog rock outfit after Verbal Assault? Rain Like The Sound of Trains or something? I vaguely remember that they were one of the bands at the epicenter of MRR's "if it's not three chord punk/hardcore/garage rock and/or on a major-affiliated label, fuck off" review policy controversy in the early 90s.

Your memory of the band name is pretty right on:
the mean

Postby matt » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:32 pm

the mean wrote:
jaybird wrote:Didn't the guitarist from Verbal Assault eventually start some weird sorta hippieish/jam-band/prog rock outfit after Verbal Assault? Rain Like The Sound of Trains or something? I vaguely remember that they were one of the bands at the epicenter of MRR's "if it's not three chord punk/hardcore/garage rock and/or on a major-affiliated label, fuck off" review policy controversy in the early 90s.

Pete from VA, Bobby from Soulside, and Dug from Beefeater. I should have liked them more than I did.
matt
Site Admin

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:12 pm

matt wrote:
the mean wrote:

Pete from VA, Bobby from Soulside, and Dug from Beefeater. I should have liked them more than I did.

Yes, I remember that line-up set up some great expectations. But they were pretty fuckin' lame. I don't like much that Bobby Soulside dude is part of, actually. I think his bro's voice and musical output blows his away.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:18 pm

I remember I did an interview with verbal assault via mail for a zine I did. The questions were insanely stupid. They refused to answer if they were sxe, or not. They mentioned Led Zepplin as a major influence. I was so bummed at the time that they didn't name drop 7 Seconds or Dag or whatever. Now I'm fully on board, or course.
SamDBL

Postby creature » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:20 pm

One or two Verbal Assault guys joined Belly.
creature

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:25 pm

creature wrote:One or two Verbal Assault guys joined Belly.

Yeah, the two bros that were the rhythm section on Trial. My one and only complaint about trial is that the bass is a little too low in the mix.
SamDBL

Postby the mean » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:28 am

SamDBL wrote:

Yeah, the two bros that were the rhythm section on Trial. My one and only complaint about trial is that the bass is a little too low in the mix.

Those brothers never recorded with VA.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:42 am

the mean wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Those brothers never recorded with VA.

I do remember that, actually. But I swear my copy of Trial had them listed as members with a disclaimer elsewhere that other people actually played on the record.
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:50 am

Oh, now he remembers.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:00 am

FormerLurker wrote:Oh, now he remembers.

:lol:
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:30 am

Slightly less embarrassing than my DK gaff.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:10 pm

Verbal Assault >>>> Verbal Abuse.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby kel » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:44 pm

True story.

Setting: When eBay was young and a super cool nostalgia machine for newly-rich West Coast tech-nerds, instead of the China-knockoff/superstore it is today.

My significant other asked me "When are all these old concert tees going to be tossed out, or donated to Goodwill, or something?"

I was like "Let's see if someone else wants them, I'll put them on that eBay thing!"

Someone bid that old "Trial" Verbal Assault shirt up to $300 bucks. Sold a DN Denko's tour shirt for about the same.

Better believe that was the last my closet saw of any ill-fitting punk memorabilia.

Bonus content 1: I wanted to like Rain Like The Sound Of Trains, but couldn't get into it.

Bonus content 2:

Belly

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQJjUbMrt8w[/youtube]
kel

Postby Hal » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:23 am

I saw Verbal Assault more than any other band in my high school years. Between '86-90, it seemed like they were playing nearly every weekend somewhere in the tri-state area (MA/CT/RI). Saw them at TT's, UCONN, Lupo's and the Anthrax. Such great memories! Sadly, I committed to other plans on the reunion weekend before it was announced. Hoping they do more in the future!
Hal

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:42 pm

Just got the email, New England area shows for next month postponed until 3/22.

Damn you Delta Variant, damn you to hell :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Hal » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:51 am

New dates announced, tix on sale.

3/12 The Met, RI
3/13 Saint Vitus, NYC
Hal

Postby Knutsen » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:49 pm

I liked both bands, but they will never be as good now as they where back then.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby drew » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:50 pm

I just bought a ticket @ Saint Vitus in March. Bitter Branches put me over the top
drew

Postby captain2man » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:44 pm

drew wrote:I just bought a ticket @ Saint Vitus in March. Bitter Branches put me over the top

Ditto. See you there.
captain2man

Postby drew » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:23 pm

captain2man wrote:
drew wrote:I just bought a ticket @ Saint Vitus in March. Bitter Branches put me over the top

Ditto. See you there.

Cool 8-)
drew

Postby target » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:46 pm

: Verbal mother fucking Assault
Postby Knutsen » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:49 pm
I liked both bands, but they will never be as good now as they where back then.

Yeah but that’s not exactly the point, is it?
target

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:12 pm

How Rhode Island of him! Rockin' out in a boat shed!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT7Q7xKMI28 ... _copy_link
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:09 am

FlexMyHead wrote:How Rhode Island of him! Rockin' out in a boat shed!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT7Q7xKMI28 ... _copy_link

That rules; so glad I clicked on it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse