Side 2 > Side 1

Side 2 > Side 1

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:25 am

I was listening to side 2 of Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual earlier today and between that and listening to Descendents' I Don't Want to Grow Up the other day, it occurred to me that for as long as I've loved each of those albums now (30/31 years now; whoa), but especially in more recent years, I've preferred side 2. I think it's also each band's best work. Can you all think of other instances like that?

I just know some wiseacre is gonna put My War on there and that's fine, but it's not one of my picks. I like side 2 just fine, but I've always thought side 1 was better tbh.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Side 2 > Side 1

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:28 am

Side 2 of Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual is truly a work of beauty. I THINK that I like Side 2 better after all this time.

As far as My War is concerned, Side 1 and Side 2 are equally great.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:01 am

My War— side 2 is better. Didn’t always feel that way but now that’s how it is.

The Fall- This Nations saving Grace. The album is great but side 2 really cooks.
drew

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:10 am

Nirvana "Nevermind". I love the whole album, and maybe it's because Side 1 is front loaded with all 4 of the singles, but either way.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:14 am

REM - Out of Time

Side A is fine, but Side B (yeah, after Shiny Happy People) is amazing. Country Feedback may be their best song.
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:17 am

the mean wrote:REM - Out of Time

Side A is fine, but Side B (yeah, after Shiny Happy People) is amazing. Country Feedback may be their best song.

Completely agree.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:21 am

Good answers so far. I agree completely on Out of Time and Nevermind, but not on This Nation's Saving Grace. I love both sides, but if side 2 contained "Spoilt Victorian Child" and "L.A.," then I'd endorse that viewpoint for sure.
JGJR

Postby DelGriffith » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:38 pm

Bad Brains - Banned In DC
DelGriffith

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:42 am

I always loved the sequencing on TATTOO YOU - all the fast ones on side 1, all the slow(er) ones on side 2. The Stones did that on EXILE too. I can't say I prefer either to the other. I can say that I've come to really love TATTOO YOU over the years. At the time the talk was how it was made up of leftover studio scraps that were pieced together by producer Chris Kimsey. Now you look back and think "these guys had this stuff just laying around?!"
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:17 am

scannest wrote:I always loved the sequencing on TATTOO YOU - all the fast ones on side 1, all the slow(er) ones on side 2. The Stones did that on EXILE too. I can't say I prefer either to the other. I can say that I've come to really love TATTOO YOU over the years. At the time the talk was how it was made up of leftover studio scraps that were pieced together by producer Chris Kimsey. Now you look back and think "these guys had this stuff just laying around?!"

Listening to Tattoo You for the first time in 40 years. It’s much better than I remember. Thanks for the tip.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:28 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Listening to Tattoo You for the first time in 40 years. It’s much better than I remember. Thanks for the tip.

Ain't it? "Little T&A", "Neighbors", and (especially) "Hang Fire" are all-time great Stones throwaways. "Waiting on a Friend" may be their best ballad. And "Heaven" is the definition of languorous. I don't get high all that often, but at its best it feels like Chris Brokaw covering "Heaven" for 31 minutes:

https://chrisbrokaw.bandcamp.com/
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:51 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:Listening to Tattoo You for the first time in 40 years. It’s much better than I remember. Thanks for the tip.

Ain't it? "Little T&A", "Neighbors", and (especially) "Hang Fire" are all-time great Stones throwaways. "Waiting on a Friend" may be their best ballad. And "Heaven" is the definition of languorous. I don't get high all that often, but at its best it feels like Chris Brokaw covering "Heaven" for 31 minutes:

I’m also a big “Tops” fan. When it came on, my 19-year-old wandered into the room and sang every word. Apparently, it’s one of his favorite Stones songs. For some reason (probably watching the “Waiting on a Friend” video or all the saxophone) the whole album reminds me of a New York that no longer exists. Listening to Emotional Rescue now. Not nearly as good.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:41 pm

scannest wrote:

Throwing on side 2 of TY right now. I got a copy a few years back and love it. Perfect description.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:43 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:For some reason (probably watching the “Waiting on a Friend” video or all the saxophone) the whole album reminds me of a New York that no longer exists.

I feel that way about some of the stuff on Some Girls, too, most obviously "Shattered" but really the whole feel of it.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Hemispheres - Side 2>Side 1
Circumstance>the Trees>La Villa Strangiato
Hal

Return to daghouse