black sabbath - technical ecstasy

black sabbath - technical ecstasy

Postby neutral knieval » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:37 pm

i like it. listened to it on cassette as a kid and hated it but its grown on me recently. even that stupid rock n roll doctor song. i think itd be way more popular if it wasnt compared to the rest of their stuff.
neutral knieval

Re: black sabbath - technical ecstasy

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:07 pm

I love it to death. Its a perfect album though a drift from their signature sound. (Thanks to Iommi and Brian May who had 'a lot' of input' LOL)

The songs are still fucking great. 'Back Street Kids ' ?? INCREDIBLE!
'All Moving Parts (Stand Still)' (A drag queen becomes President in Geezer's dreams)
'You Won't Change Me'..
'Gypsy'....and the masterpiece 'Dirty Women'.

BILL WARD on 'It's Alright'

C'mon, this is incredible song writing. I play this album start to finish just as much as their earlier stuff.

All of their in-fighting and substance abuse issues were hidden well with this output. Just because their sound changed in the light of the times, doesn't mean that its a sub par album.

PS: 'Rock and Roll Doctor' is a FUCKING GREAT song. Pure rock and roll. THAT RIFF!!!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby neutral knieval » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:49 pm

i feel the same way about never say die. 'air dance' is an excellent song. johnny blade seems to be the song most people complain about but the last 3-4 minutes of the song make up for any cheese on the front end. i wish they wouldve gotten all fucked up on coke earlier, music-wise
neutral knieval

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 pm

neutral knieval wrote:i feel the same way about never say die. 'air dance' is an excellent song. johnny blade seems to be the song most people complain about but the last 3-4 minutes of the song make up for any cheese on the front end. i wish they wouldve gotten all fucked up on coke earlier, music-wise

'Air Dance' is prolly my favorite song on that album. What a fucking weird-ass obscurity of a name and track.

I'm not dropping names here, but Bill Stevenson, Stephen Egerton and I had endless discussions on the dissertation of 'Never Day Die' and the song listings. 'Air Dance' and 'Johnny Blade' are still big. Fuck off to the haters.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:33 pm

xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:21 pm

neutral knieval wrote:i like it. listened to it on cassette as a kid and hated it but its grown on me recently. even that stupid rock n roll doctor song. i think itd be way more popular if it wasnt compared to the rest of their stuff.

It's the one Ozzy-era album from the original run that I've never been able to get into, but I heard that one and Never Say Die (which to me is super underrated) much later than the rest of that stuff, so that might be partly why. I only had it on the box set and don't have a copy atm, but would like to change that. It's due for a revisiting. I have a friend who covered "Rock and Roll Doctor" in one of his many bands.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:22 pm

neutral knieval wrote:i feel the same way about never say die. 'air dance' is an excellent song. johnny blade seems to be the song most people complain about but the last 3-4 minutes of the song make up for any cheese on the front end. i wish they wouldve gotten all fucked up on coke earlier, music-wise

I LOVE "Johnny Blade." People complain about it? Really?
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:52 am

JGJR wrote:or any cheese on the front end. i wish they wouldve gotten all fucked up on coke earlier, music-wise

I LOVE "Johnny Blade." People complain about it? Really?

Absolutely wonderful track.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:10 pm

The album is decent IMHO but a clear step down from the first 6 Sabs albums. I have a copy on CD for the collection but play it rarely. Same deal with NSD.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm

patient_ot wrote:The album is decent IMHO but a clear step down from the first 6 Sabs albums. I have a copy on CD for the collection but play it rarely. Same deal with NSD.

Unpopular opinion time: I generally agree with the above, but I may enjoy NSD more than Sabotage, which I've never been super into tbh (big step down from the 1st 5 if you ask me). It is J Mascis' favorite Sabbath album, though, and generally well-regarded these days, so I'll keep trying.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:32 pm

Technical Ecstacy sucks. One good song and that’s a atretch. Never Say Die is a shade above because of two good songs.

Ozzy has six great albums with Sabbath. Dio has two of the top four Sabbath albums and was better live. And his reunion stuff was light years better than the shit with Ozzy
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:24 pm

BLACK SABBATH To Release 'Technical Ecstasy' Deluxe Edition Feat. Previously Unreleased Outtakes, Alternative Mixes And Live Tracks

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/black-sabbath-to-release-technical-ecstasy-deluxe-edition-feat-previously-unreleased-outtakes-alternative-mixes-and-live-tracks/?fbclid=IwAR3NBYC1tV9DT40PWRpWAKaEGt1qmTnduESpOY6LEP9P4BA7SSbRrjUfuYA

Disc Two: New Steven Wilson Mix

01. Back Street Kids *
02. You Won't Change *
03. It's Alright - Mono Version
04. Gypsy *
05. All Moving Parts (Stand Still) *
06. Rock 'n' Roll Doctor *
07. She's Gone *
08. Dirty Women *
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:04 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:BLACK SABBATH To Release 'Technical Ecstasy' Deluxe Edition Feat. Previously Unreleased Outtakes, Alternative Mixes And Live Tracks

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/black-sabbath-to-release-technical-ecstasy-deluxe-edition-feat-previously-unreleased-outtakes-alternative-mixes-and-live-tracks/?fbclid=IwAR3NBYC1tV9DT40PWRpWAKaEGt1qmTnduESpOY6LEP9P4BA7SSbRrjUfuYA

01. Back Street Kids *
02. You Won't Change *
04. Gypsy *
07. She's Gone *
08. Dirty Women *

I guess they're doing these in order. Sabotage just came out in a deluxe edition, too. I'd really like to hear this.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:26 am

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:BLACK SABBATH To Release 'Technical Ecstasy' Deluxe Edition Feat. Previously Unreleased Outtakes, Alternative Mixes And Live Tracks

01. Back Street Kids *
02. You Won't Change *
04. Gypsy *
07. She's Gone *
08. Dirty Women *

I guess they're doing these in order. Sabotage just came out in a deluxe edition, too. I'd really like to hear this.

They skipped over Sabbath Bloody Sabbath I think...?

Also, I really want to hear Steve Wilson's mix. THAT dude is a f'kin GENIUS.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse