Anyone Into Art Museums? - Chaim Soutine Exhibit

Anyone Into Art Museums? - Chaim Soutine Exhibit

Postby lewdd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:51 am

The Barnes Foundation in Philly is my favorite art museum. I am going down there for the Descendents show next weekend and spending several days in the city. While there, I plan to check out this exhibit.

https://www.barnesfoundation.org/whats- ... de-kooning

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/08/ ... m-soutine/

I need to make a NYC trip to see some of the art museums there. I have been to DC a few years ago. There are some good one's there too.
lewdd

Re: Anyone Into Art Museums? - Chaim Soutine Exhibit

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:55 am

The Barnes is a great one. This history of the place is fascinating - the whole private collection vs. 'public good' argument.
If you haven't seen the documentary, it's pretty great:

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:11 pm

I can't remember if I watched the documentary (if so, it was years ago), but I haven't been to the new location. I did go once to see the private collection in a house in Lower Merion before they moved it to Center City (at the site of a former juvenile detention center that was then moved to West Philly) and it was stunning.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby drew » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:06 pm

My wife & I both love The Barnes Foundation. Our fave museum in Philly. I never saw the doc but thats changing this weekend....
drew

Postby drew » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:08 pm

lewdd wrote:The Barnes Foundation in Philly is my favorite art museum. I am going down there for the Descendents show next weekend and spending several days in the city. While there, I plan to check out this exhibit.

https://www.barnesfoundation.org/whats- ... de-kooning

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/08/ ... m-soutine/

I need to make a NYC trip to see some of the art museums there. I have been to DC a few years ago. There are some good one's there too.

That's looks like a really freaking amazing exhibit enjoy
drew

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:18 am

drew wrote:My wife & I both love The Barnes Foundation. Our fave museum in Philly. I never saw the doc but thats changing this weekend....

Ever been to the Mütter? If not, it's an absolute must. I like the National Museum of Jewish History, too. I used to work at the Historical Society of PA, which is open to the public. Some of my peers there worked in other museums, too, including one who went to work at the Barnes after his time at HSP. The big Kahuna is obviously the Art Museum, which is also an absolute must, especially if there's a cool exhibit happening. Don't get me started on the Rocky statue, though. :lol:
Last edited by JGJR on Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby drew » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:35 am

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:My wife & I both love The Barnes Foundation. Our fave museum in Philly. I never saw the doc but thats changing this weekend....

Ever been to the Mütter? If not, it's an absolute must. I like the National Museum of Jewish History, too. I used to work at the Historical Society of PA, which is open to the public. Some of my peers there worked in other museums, too, including one who went to work at the Barnes after his time at HSPA. The big Kahuna is obviously the Art Museum, which is also an absolute must, especially if there's a cool exhibit happening. Don't get me started on the Rocky statue, though. :lol:

HAHA. I took a pic with The Rocky statue, don’t hate! One of my fave things about Philly are the Museums. Rodin is really cool….much better than the one in Paris! :D
drew

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:27 pm

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Ever been to the Mütter? If not, it's an absolute must. I like the National Museum of Jewish History, too. I used to work at the Historical Society of PA, which is open to the public. Some of my peers there worked in other museums, too, including one who went to work at the Barnes after his time at HSPA. The big Kahuna is obviously the Art Museum, which is also an absolute must, especially if there's a cool exhibit happening. Don't get me started on the Rocky statue, though. :lol:

HAHA. I took a pic with The Rocky statue, don’t hate! One of my fave things about Philly are the Museums. Rodin is really cool….much better than the one in Paris! :D

I'm not trying to start some shit here, but I'm going to give a really unpopular opinion now. It's just odd to me that one of the world's greatest art museums has a statue of a fictional character that was basically a soothing balm for Rizzo-loving Philadelphians in south and NE Philly but removed from that ugly context, I get that it's fun to climb the steps, et al. I agree with what Anthony Bourdain said. There should be a statue of Joe Frazier there instead.*

As a disclaimer, I used to administer the posts from this site and handle the project's social media (and would occasionally post stuff on that site myself) as an archivist contracted to work on the PhillyHistory project for the Department of Records in Philly, but that said, this is still a worthwhile read. Read the comments and you'll see that the author got a lot of shit for this, not surprisingly, but I think he was right.

https://blog.phillyhistory.org/index.ph ... tep-aside/

*I have seen every Rocky film, including Rocky IV in the theater when I was a little kid and didn't really understand the geo-political significance of the Cold War-era politics, and I think the Creed films (especially the 1st one) and the 2006 Rocky Balboa (while ridiculous since he was fighting a guy half his age) redeemed the franchise, but that's for another post lol.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:19 pm

I did get a picture of the Rizzo statue a few years ago before he got cancelled. I took one because the Jerky Boys had a skit(s) that had his name in them. I don't know the political backstory so you can hold off on bashing me. I have not interest in it other than the Jerky Boys who may have been politically incorrect, but they bashed everyone.

As for Joe Frazier, he does have a mural painting in Philly now and a statue in front of a boxing gym outside of Philly now. I may go see them at some point and maybe even during my trip next week.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:55 pm

lewdd wrote:I did get a picture of the Rizzo statue a few years ago before he got cancelled. I took one because the Jerky Boys had a skit(s) that had his name in them. I don't know the political backstory so you can hold off on bashing me. I have not interest in it other than the Jerky Boys who may have been politically incorrect, but they bashed everyone.

As for Joe Frazier, he does have a mural painting in Philly now and a statue in front of a boxing gym outside of Philly now. I may go see them at some point and maybe even during my trip next week.

I wouldn't bash you, but wanted to say I love that 1st Jerky Boys album and at the time, I didn't even know who Frank Rizzo was. I think I found out when I moved to Philly in the mid '00s. If you want to understand more about why he was so despised by some (myself included) and loved by others, I refer you to this. Personally, I'm glad the statue came down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/us/f ... Position=1
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 pm

Oh, I have read the history of his +/-. I will not take a stance to defend him to the stake, but I think he has become part of the cancel culture that this country has experienced over the last 4+ years

I will admit that I am torn about this (the general cancel culture). In a lot of cases, these historical markers, statues, etc. of people can certainly be construed negatively. I don't disagree with that where it is justified ( on a specific basis). Where I struggle with it is that this is the history of our country. Wiping away history as if it never happened does not quite make sense to me, but I am sensitive to how others feel about it. It is certainly a very touchy subject. In general, I am not a fan of wiping out history. It is what it is, right or wrong. It happened. I just think some things should remain as history and people should have the option to realize such things happened, they should be aware of them, and they should be able to haver their own opinion about such. And, folks should then be able to make it a learnable experience. I am not a fan of "cancelling" it and pretending it never happened because it did happen (to the best of my knowledge and reported history). Why erase it like it didn't happen just because many believe it was wrong (and it a lot of cases it was wrong). I think we should allow people to recognize the history was not optimal and allow people to have an opportunity to recognize a wrong, learn from it, and make it a right.

Sorry for the soap box and getting off subject (apropos for a reply to a JGJR thread :))
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:02 pm

lewdd wrote:Oh, I have read the history of his +/-. I will not take a stance to defend him to the stake, but I think he has become part of the cancel culture that this country has experienced over the last 4+ years

I will admit that I am torn about this (the general cancel culture). In a lot of cases, these historical markers, statues, etc. of people can certainly be construed negatively. I don't disagree with that where it is justified ( on a specific basis). Where I struggle with it is that this is the history of our country. Wiping away history as if it never happened does not quite make sense to me, but I am sensitive to how others feel about it. It is certainly a very touchy subject. In general, I am not a fan of wiping out history. It is what it is, right or wrong. It happened. I just think some things should remain as history and people should have the option to realize such things happened, they should be aware of them, and they should be able to haver their own opinion about such. And, folks should then be able to make it a learnable experience. I am not a fan of "cancelling" it and pretending it never happened because it did happen (to the best of my knowledge and reported history). Why erase it like it didn't happen just because many believe it was wrong (and it a lot of cases it was wrong). I think we should allow people to recognize the history was not optimal and allow people to have an opportunity to recognize a wrong, learn from it, and make it a right.

Sorry for the soap box and getting off subject (apropos for a reply to a JGJR thread :))

You make some good points here, but I don't buy the idea that if a statue or some other monument gets taken down and put into storage or whatever that it means that the events or person in question have been forgotten. A good example is the Berlin Wall. I think statues symbolize what and who we revere and changing statues may mean (hopefully) changing values. That was an awkward sentence, but I hope you get my point.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:16 pm

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:Oh, I have read the history of his +/-. I will not take a stance to defend him to the stake, but I think he has become part of the cancel culture that this country has experienced over the last 4+ years

You make some good points here, but I don't buy the idea that if a statue or some other monument gets taken down and put into storage or whatever that it means that the events or person in question have been forgotten. A good example is the Berlin Wall. I think statues symbolize what and who we revere and changing statues may mean (hopefully) changing values. That was an awkward sentence, but I hope you get my point.

That is a fair point, but I think a statue versus a wall is a slight bit different. However, you have a much different life experience than I have had so I can't speak for those experiences or even know how they may have impacted you. I think that in and of itself is a big hurdle that our world faces.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:25 pm

lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

That is a fair point, but I think a statue versus a wall is a slight bit different. However, you have a much different life experience than I have had so I can't speak for those experiences or even know how they may have impacted you. I think that in and of itself is a big hurdle that our world faces.

I thought that you might say that and it's fair, so what about say, the statue of Joe Paterno that was removed from the Penn St campus after the Jerry Sandusky stuff came out?

I also like the point you made in the last few sentences. That is true for all of us and thanks for acknowledging that.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:03 pm

Yeah, against the stream of fandom of many of my friends, I have never been on the Penn St bandwagon. My buddy just dropped a few thousand $ last weekend buying items that were inside the former Ratskeller (sp?). I will not deny that JoePa was one of the most decorated coaches in the history of college football during his lifetime. Probably millions of Penn St alumni revered him. Sandusky was found guilty of crimes and rightfully punished. If JoePa turned a cheek knowingly, rightfully he could/should have been punished for aiding and abetting. I don't know the facts in that case to argue for or against him.

You have hit home with me on this subject because it relates to sports which is something close to home to me even if I have no reverence for JoePa. Now that you have triggered my thoughts (which now have gone way beyond sports), I guess others feel similarly about other statues in our country or others throughout the world. It is a tough choice to "cancel" history versus those who look at those statues, memorials, etc. who have been pained by those individuals that others memorialize. I have not stood in those shoes of those who have been harmed/pained by those that others have memorialized. What I had previously thought was a call to remembrance of history that one should acknowledged has happened and we should all learn from, may not acknowledge the pain that others suffer from looking at the same piece of concrete, metal, etc. Damned if you do and damned if you don't remove it is a tough decision that you have brought to my attention. I am not sure this is a case of majority wins either. It is a tough decision which you have lead me to discover. I am fairly certain that there is a pro and a con to most memorials in this country and probably others.

What are your thoughts on how we can overcome this without taking down every memorialized item throughout the history of the world? I don't have a recommendation.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:09 pm

And, let's get back to regular programming. Am I the only one here interested in this exhibit?
lewdd

Return to daghouse