If you could meet your idols...

If you could meet your idols...

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 pm

I heard a song on WFUV last night by some female artist and the song was about how she didn't want to meet her idols because if they were assholes, it would ruin their reputation.
I get that. I think that I met most people that I really wanted to in this lifetime. Expectations were high and they were met for the most part.

Still have a few that I'd want to chat for a few minutes with.

At the top of my list would be....

1) Brian May
2) Rachel Maddow
3) Mink Stole (from all the John Waters' films. I'd met John once and he was AWESOME)
4) Todd Rundgren
5) Morgue (YouTuber)

*This list will expand as necessary*
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: If you could meet your idols...

Postby SamDBL » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:44 pm

I think all of the big ones on my list have now kicked the bucket. Maybe Brian Setzer.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:55 pm

I'd met Lewdd once and it might have been a let down until I realized that he really didn't qualify as an idol. So that works to his benefit since I wasn't disappointed. Sorta.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby kel » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:51 pm

I don't have any idols, and really never have.

That's one gift that punk / small underground music might have given me: you saw and met your "heroes" or "idols" in an approachable, un-varnished manner. Because there wasn't a Jagger/Van Halen-esque idol-far-away-on-guilded-stage separation from the music and the reality, it didn't lend itself towards hero worship, or expecting something different out of people just because they may have a talent for playing guitar or acting or something. It's such a common trope when people have fawning relationships with entertainers or politicians or sports stars, etc. They grew up putting posters of them on their wall, admired the Hollywood-generated persona from afar, but then if someone lucks into that star orbit and actually meets them? -- "I thought basketballerdude would be awesome, but when I finally asked him for an autograph -- he was a jerk!"

For me, as a youngster, it was like "Oh, there's the guy from that band I like. Hey, he's cheating on his wife with some groupie. Hmm. He sings really good, I dig his ability to play guitar better than I can, but he's sort of a dirtbag. Hmm. Guess he's as human as the next guy."

I've met enough rockstars, politicians, sportsballers, TV/movie personalities, etc. to know people are people and they/we all have sins, talents, weaknesses, selfishness no matter if they are in the public eye or respected for their work/talents or not.

There's some people that I might think would be interesting to meet, have some great history or stories to plumb, but I sure wouldn't idolize them or look up to them as examples.
kel

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:19 am

John from Serpico
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:06 am

gregpolard wrote:John from Serpico

I met that dude a time or two. He’s pretty OK.

I don’t know if I have any idols, to be honest. The Fix told me not to. Sonic Youth told me to KILL them. I’m not sure I’d go that far. There are people who may have been in that category when I was a teen who still make me squee when I see them in person, but I don’t go out of my way to meet them. I don’t really have anything to say, other than to gush like a 13 year old, and no one needs that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:22 am

I think the problem is just the word 'idol'. I have many, many people whose work I admired and love deeply, but I wouldn't say I idolize them. Save idolizing for friends and family who have truly impacted who you are as a person.

That said, if I ran into Alan Alda on the street I'd be a blubbering idiot.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:31 am

I ran into Richard Dreyfuss at a Con a couple years ago and, while I didn't pay to get a picture taken, as he was leaving I shook his hand and said what an important part of my life he's played (Jaws has been my favorite movie since I was 5 years old). That was pretty cool and I definitely came across as a nerd. Oh well.

As far as meeting anyone? I really wish I could've met Kurt Cobain just to say something like "it worked, man!" because I remember reading that they hoped one thing they could accomplish with their mega stardom was turning people onto other cool music. That band changed my entire life.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:06 am

scannest wrote:That said, if I ran into Alan Alda on the street I'd be a blubbering idiot.

Have I ever told you my (father's) story about Alan Alda?
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:19 am

pedro wrote:
scannest wrote:That said, if I ran into Alan Alda on the street I'd be a blubbering idiot.

I met him at the NY Public Library. Alda. Not your dad.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 am

pedro wrote:

No.
I hope he wasn't a dick.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:10 pm

I've been fortunate enough to meet a bunch of my musical heroes over the years and in my experience, the vast majority of them are quite pleasant people to talk to and hang out with and I've fortunately had by and large overwhelmingly positive experiences with them. There are, however, a few notable exceptions. I won't name names here, but you can PM if you wish. Overall, though, I think it's just indicative of how people are in general since they're, you know, people.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 pm

scannest wrote:
pedro wrote:

No.
I hope he wasn't a dick.

I searched for it on this board and the old board and I came across it on the old board from about 13 years ago. My goodness we are old.

Anyway, my father was in the same class as Alda at Fordham. They were both in the theater group. The 1956 Class production of Agatha Christie's Ten Little Indians was directed by my father. Having a keen eye for talent, my father cut Alan Alda from his production. He was ribbed out about it constantly and my father consistently replied "Alan can't sing." (To those who don't know, Ten Little Indians is not a musical. It's a murder mystery.) My father would see Alda at reunions and they would joke about it constantly. Anyway, Alda went on to become Alan Alda and while my father went on to a very distinguished career in the law, he often jokingly described himself as a "failed actor who became a lawyer and then a judge."

When my father retired, Alda sent him an autographed picture congratulating him on a great career and noted that he too had done pretty well "for a guy who can't sing."
Hello.
pedro

Postby lewdd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:53 pm

That is an awesome story, Pedro
lewdd

Postby scannest » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:35 pm

Yes, great story. And exactly what I'd expect from the man (Alda, not your dad).
scannest

Postby Hal » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:55 pm

I have met many of my music and sports 'idols'. I have regretted most of these encounters due to what I said or my actions. I hate that moment when walking away and feeling like I made a complete ass out of myself, usually gushing about how much their art has meant to me or just coming off as completely awkward. I'm sure it's all in my head, but these are the things that plague me.

I have enjoyed meeting a bunch of you over the years!
Hal

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:11 pm

I have met some punk rock celebrities (Stabb, Smalley), and they were generally lovely. I’ve had many opportunities to bug Ian and Alec Mackaye, Henry Rollins, Ian Svenonious, and other DC punk stars and have passed for fear of what Hal describes. No matter how cool I played it, I would feel like I was a complete fanboy idiot. Hell, I’ve often felt like a blathering fanboy idiot around non-famous members of the board when I met them IRL. I used to have lunch with xxxHunterxxx and pedro semi-regularly, and despite the fact that they are both laidback and friendly guys, I often felt like a fanboy punk geek idiot. I think I’m just generally awkward with people until I know them fairly well (and maybe after).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:29 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:John from Serpico

I met that dude a time or two. He’s pretty OK.

John told me that you sent him a nice batch of tapes including a trance-house set from an American guy playing in Italy. He said that it looked delicious, though he hasn't had time to pop it in the player.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Markonomicon » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 pm

Not idols, but funny assholes:
Paul Bearer
Billy Milano
Rollins

Also:
Duncan from Snuff
Sonny Vincent (hope to eventually. Set up his bandcamp for him last year. Super nice and very funny guy.)
Billy Gibbons
Dave Lombardo
Sergie from Samiam

And:
Clif from the Freeze
Dwid from Integrity

Crazier people than I are interesting.
Markonomicon

Postby Knutsen » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:16 am

I think I would have fun having a coffee or two with Henry Rollins.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:36 pm

Knutsen wrote:I think I would have fun having a coffee or two with Henry Rollins.

This.
He usually answers my emails very quickly.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:22 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
Knutsen wrote:I think I would have fun having a coffee or two with Henry Rollins.

This.
He usually answers my emails very quickly.

Well then please tell him to hurry up and answer the one I sent him a few weeks back then. :lol: :lol: :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:07 pm

I met Midge at least once.
lewdd

Return to daghouse