(the) Melvins - a thread

(the) Melvins - a thread

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:44 am

Any fans? Seen em a bunch...always fun.

Been playing the albums a lot lately.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: (the) Melvins - a thread

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:10 pm

I had their first 7" as a promo when it came out. So in a way, you could say that I was the one who discovered them.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:23 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I had their first 7" as a promo when it came out. So in a way, you could say that I was the one who discovered them.

I would not have expect anything less.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:24 pm

lewdd wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:I had their first 7" as a promo when it came out. So in a way, you could say that I was the one who discovered them.

I would not have expect anything less.

You're learning. And that is good for you.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:39 pm

That's awesome, truly.

I came in at "Houdini"
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:53 pm

I like them but I'm not a massive fan. I think the only one I have right now is Ozma.

I also like Bullhead and Gluey Porch Treatments but don't have those ATM.

Not that familiar with the more recent stuff but a friend talks up those records.

Never seen them live.
patient_ot

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:57 pm

I would like to like these guys, but I've never anything with real hooks.

Greg - where should I start, knowing what I like?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:49 pm

scannest wrote:I would like to like these guys, but I've never anything with real hooks.

Greg - where should I start, knowing what I like?

"Houdini" is my vote. Has a great Kiss cover as well.
gregpolard

Postby neutral knieval » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:11 pm

saw an ad of theirs with a picture of a nerdy kid with glasses and melvins written in a font that looked very pushead-ish, so i got ozma. seen them at least 5 times. theyre all over the place 'musically' at times but still put out good stuff. first saw them on the houdini tour with 'the obsessed' opening. someone yelled out 'play smells like teen spirit!', so they let their guitar/bass feedback at painful decibels while dale beat on a gong for what felt like 10 minutes. the kids there to see the melvins due to mtv hated the obsessed. saw them opening for kiss and with helmet opening for the them. both time the other bands fans absolutely, and loudly, hated the melvins.
neutral knieval

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:16 pm

I saw them in 2016 with Napalm Death and Melt Banana.

As much as I love Napalm Death, Melvins were better that night. The Dale Crover/Steve McDonald rhythm section were unstoppable.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 pm

My first Melvins show was 1997 on tour with Helmet and Today is The day. What a show!

Then I saw them in '99 and 2000...also great.

Then not again until 2019 with Redd Kross and both bands were killer.

Edit: I feel like there's maybe one more time I'm forgetting.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:21 am

When it rains, it pours!

scannest, maybe this acoustic version of the "Houdini" cut "Night Goat" will do the trick:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... t-1200122/
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:08 pm

I have seen The Melvins a couple times here in Berlin in the last years, but the last time 3 years ago was enough for me.
They played as a trio in a midsize venue. It was half full with about 250 people and it was EXTREMELY LOUD. After 10 min, 15 meters away from the stage, my ears got hot, tickling, and I felt that I was building up aggression and feared that I really could damage my hearing. I got out and listened for another 20 from outside from the beergarden. Then I went home and told my girlfriend that I never again go to a Melvins show. The high volume at such a level was totally unnecessary and stupid. Idiots. Or at least their soundman. :x

PS: I think I saw the for the first time at Gilman St. in 1990.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby drew » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Seen The Melvins a few times over the years. My fave was opening for Jello Biafra before he joins them on stage at Webster Hall. They played a brutally heavy set for an hour before launching into Dead Kennedy’s classics. Such a great show.

HOUDINI is the most accessible.
(A) Senile Animal is my personal favorite. The lineup with two drummers was incredible live.
BULLHEAD is is where they started to perfect to sludge.

Haven’t loved an album of theirs in years. I try to listen to all of them as they come out and it’s been tough the last.....eight albums or so....
drew

Postby captain2man » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:40 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I saw them in 2016 with Napalm Death and Melt Banana.

As much as I love Napalm Death, Melvins were better that night. The Dale Crover/Steve McDonald rhythm section were unstoppable.

Music Hall of Williamsburg? I love Napalm Death too, but they were the least of the three bands that night. Melt Banana absolutely killed it also.

Melvins ruled the night though. Those guys put on an incredible 60 minutes.

Napalm Death has become rough lately. Biggest culprit is drummer Danny Herrera and the worst live drum sound on the planet. It just sounds like everything is completely triggered - click-click-click.....that's all I hear and it absolutely destroys the sound of the band. And it's not like he needs it - the guy can friggin' play.

Also, at what point is Mitch Harris ever returning to the stage with the band? John Cooke has been holding down the fort for almost 10 years now and is still considered a "guest".
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:17 pm

captain2man wrote:Also, at what point is Mitch Harris ever returning to the stage with the band? John Cooke has been holding down the fort for almost 10 years now and is still considered a "guest".

From what I understand Mitch won't be touring with the band anymore.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:33 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
captain2man wrote:Also, at what point is Mitch Harris ever returning to the stage with the band? John Cooke has been holding down the fort for almost 10 years now and is still considered a "guest".

From what I understand Mitch won't be touring with the band anymore.

Sorry to hear. If I remember correctly - he was taking care of either his elderly mother or father who may have been suffering from dementia or other problems? I'm not 100% sure if that's true, but I remember hearing that. Of course - I couldn't think of a more noble reason to be off the road.

I got to meet Mitch once. They were scheduled to play a show on Long Island, which ended up not happening because no one ever came to open up the club. He was very cool and down to Earth.
captain2man

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:31 am

"Five Legged Dog" came out today on streaming services (and I believe CD - vinyl in January)

Really digging it so far.
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:00 am

Was never a huge fan either, but I saw them a bunch of times in the 90s/00s when pretty much all I did was go to shows... haven't seen them since the early 00s. I'd probably go with The Crybaby and The Bootlicker if I had to pick my favorite records by them, but I haven't really bothered to follow them past those records.

I did like this song recently:

jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:14 am

I love that album too. It's goofy but fun and has a lot of great riffs. One of my most listened to of 2021 for sure.
gregpolard

Return to daghouse