Another Memory from My Youth Shot to Hell

Another Memory from My Youth Shot to Hell

Postby pedro » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:21 am

When I was in High School, I went to see the Psychedelic Furs at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. This was probably 1984 or 1985. The opening band on that night was a local band called Berlin Airlift. I had seen their name around town, but I had neither seen nor heard them before, but that night I thought they were really good. They had a local "hit" called "it's You I Love" that got played on radio stations around town. I saw their record in the "local music" bins at stores around town but for whatever reason, I never pulled the trigger. I liked that one song good enough that for years, decades really, I had the chorus regularly pop up in my brain for no apparent reason. It's the only song I remembered and I didn't even remember the verses. Point is I had not actually heard them since sometime in the 80's.

A couple of weeks ago I was clicking through this thing call "Bandcamp" (Maybe some of you have heard of it!) and I stumbled across the Berlin Airlift album. It was available for whatever price I wanted to pay, so I figured, what the hell. I paid $5 for it as I knew I liked that one song anyway.

I hate it. I don't even like the song that I kind of remembered. It's like theatrical-light-pop-rock that isn't very interesting at all. Yuck. Now I jut need to get that chorus out of my brain forever.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Hello.
pedro

Re: Another Memory from My Youth Shot to Hell

Postby scannest » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:32 am

I could see how that probably sounded pretty good live. The recording, especially the vocals, are pretty wimpy.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:56 am

Sounds like a Billy Joel type song
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:57 am

A few weeks back, I had a memory of my youth shot to hell...by someone on this board that lives in the Tampa, FL area and shall remain nameless to protect him.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:37 am

scannest wrote:I could see how that probably sounded pretty good live. The recording, especially the vocals, are pretty wimpy.

My thoughts exactly. I had to turn it off halfway through.
patient_ot

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:03 am

pedro wrote:When I was in High School, I went to see the Psychedelic Furs at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. This was probably 1984 or 1985. The opening band on that night was a local band called Berlin Airlift. I had seen their name around town, but I had neither seen nor heard them before, but that night I thought they were really good. They had a local "hit" called "it's You I Love" that got played on radio stations around town. I saw their record in the "local music" bins at stores around town but for whatever reason, I never pulled the trigger. I liked that one song good enough that for years, decades really, I had the chorus regularly pop up in my brain for no apparent reason. It's the only song I remembered and I didn't even remember the verses. Point is I had not actually heard them since sometime in the 80's.

A couple of weeks ago I was clicking through this thing call "Bandcamp" (Maybe some of you have heard of it!) and I stumbled across the Berlin Airlift album. It was available for whatever price I wanted to pay, so I figured, what the hell. I paid $5 for it as I knew I liked that one song anyway.

I hate it. I don't even like the song that I kind of remembered. It's like theatrical-light-pop-rock that isn't very interesting at all. Yuck. Now I jut need to get that chorus out of my brain forever.

I kinda dig it. But I’ve spent the morning listening to late 80s/early 90s Cheap Trick.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:18 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I kinda dig it. But I’ve spent the morning listening to late 80s/early 90s Cheap Trick.

I see they announced a DC gig coming up soon. They've actually announced dozens of gigs coming up soon. Planning on going?
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:31 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I kinda dig it. But I’ve spent the morning listening to late 80s/early 90s Cheap Trick.

I see they announced a DC gig coming up soon. They've actually announced dozens of gigs coming up soon. Planning on going?

Yep. Presale tomorrow at 10. Last time I saw them at the Warner, the guest section was occupied entirely by members of Fugazi.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:12 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Yep. Presale tomorrow at 10. Last time I saw them at the Warner, the guest section was occupied entirely by members of Fugazi.

I'm going to see them at some fairground in upstate NY in early September, and they just announced an Irving Plaza show for the end of September. You should come - I'll treat you to a Sbarro slice.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:17 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:Yep. Presale tomorrow at 10. Last time I saw them at the Warner, the guest section was occupied entirely by members of Fugazi.

I'm going to see them at some fairground in upstate NY in early September, and they just announced an Irving Plaza show for the end of September. You should come - I'll treat you to a Sbarro slice.

Damn, its been probably 6+ years since I have had a Sbarro slice.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:34 am

lewdd wrote:Damn, its been probably 6+ years since I have had a Sbarro slice.

They are as good as they've ever been!

(...cough...)
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:35 am

scannest wrote:

Hmmm. We are supposed to record an album up in NYC this fall. If we schedule it right . . . .
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:13 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Yep. Presale tomorrow at 10. Last time I saw them at the Warner, the guest section was occupied entirely by members of Fugazi.

Second row, baby.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:28 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Second row, baby.

Can't find the pre-sale code for the NYC show. It is not CTLIVE, as suggested on their website.

:(
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:05 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:Second row, baby.

Can't find the pre-sale code for the NYC show. It is not CTLIVE, as suggested on their website.

:(

Bummer. DC was CTLIVE.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:Bummer. DC was CTLIVE.

I guess I'll have to try again on Friday with all the proles. Luckily it's just GA standing room. And I'm going to see them 3 weeks prior.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:23 pm

scannest wrote:
lewdd wrote:Damn, its been probably 6+ years since I have had a Sbarro slice.

They are as good as they've ever been!

(...cough...)

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:37 pm

By the way, Berlin Airlift also covered "Eleanor Rigby". It's horrifying. And I don't particularly care for the original.

Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:50 am

pedro wrote:When I was in High School, I went to see the Psychedelic Furs at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. This was probably 1984 or 1985. The opening band on that night was a local band called Berlin Airlift. I had seen their name around town, but I had neither seen nor heard them before, but that night I thought they were really good. They had a local "hit" called "it's You I Love" that got played on radio stations around town. I saw their record in the "local music" bins at stores around town but for whatever reason, I never pulled the trigger. I liked that one song good enough that for years, decades really, I had the chorus regularly pop up in my brain for no apparent reason. It's the only song I remembered and I didn't even remember the verses. Point is I had not actually heard them since sometime in the 80's.

Not horrible, but I can't imagine I'll ever want to hear this again. It sounds like a Cutting Crew or Richard Marx demo or something in that vein, but a bit better than that if that makes sense. I could also see this band being a bit better live and maybe in that time period, too.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse