VU
No votes
Another View
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 9

Your Favorite Velvet Underground Record - Studio Edition

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:15 pm

They released four basically perfect albums in their lifetime and endless compilations thereafter. I’m only listing the 3 posthumous albums that have enough new material to warrant inclusion. 1969 refers to the recent double album, not the single album included in the mono box set.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Your Favorite Velvet Underground Record - Studio Edition

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Picking between those first 4 is incredibly difficult. I went with the 3rd as it's a mix of all the great things they did.
I can't wait to see the Todd Haynes doc.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:23 pm

I went with WL/WH because it’s really the most Velvet Undergroundy of their records. Without Cale, it’s really a different band, a band that is every bit as great, mind you, but very different. My second choice might actually be VU. Those ‘68/‘69 sessions are fantastic. Sometimes I think “The Ocean” might be my favorite VU song.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:48 pm

I voted for the 3rd album.

For people that like the 3rd album, do you prefer the "closet mix" on the Peel Slowly box or the standard mix issued everywhere else? I think they both have merit.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:58 pm

This was admittedly kind of easy; 3rd album; I am clearly on a list with like-minded people. All 4 are incredible, but the 3rd one has a special resonance for me and also maybe the most influential, too, at least to my ears or to the kinds of stuff I enjoy.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:58 pm

patient_ot wrote:I voted for the 3rd album.

For people that like the 3rd album, do you prefer the "closet mix" on the Peel Slowly box or the standard mix issued everywhere else? I think they both have merit.

Closet mix but by a hair
JGJR

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:42 pm

patient_ot wrote:I voted for the 3rd album.

IDK about “everywhere else.” The closet mix is the one that was originally released. The Val Valentin mix was mistakenly used on the UK first pressing, then did not reappear until the CD came out. The closet mix is what was intended by the VU (or at least Lou) in 1969.
Last edited by version sound on Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:57 pm

version sound wrote:
IDK about “everywhere else.” The closet mix is the one that was originally released. The Val Valentine mix was mistakenly used on the UK first pressing, then did not reappear until the CD came out. The closet mix is what was intended by the VU (or at least Lou) in 1969.

I stand corrected then. For some reason I thought the VV mix was more widely distributed. But yeah I do recall reading that the closet mix was what Lou wanted.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:18 pm

In the CD era, it definitely has been.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:38 pm

version sound wrote:In the CD era, it definitely has been.

My intro to the band was on CD, through the box set. To this day I've never had any VU vinyl.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:56 pm

After doing a little research, I see that the 1980s LP also used the VV mix. I’m not sure why whoever was in charge decided to go with that mix instead of Lou’s. I first heard the album on CD, so the VV mix was the one I knew best until PSAS came out. If I had to pick one, I’d go with the closet mix, as that was the way Lou wanted the material presented, but I like both.

I have the 45th Anniversary super deluxe versions of the first three albums, which are awesome sets. I also have pretty much everything on vintage vinyl, except VU & Nico. I had a 70s UK pressing of it, but it sounded like crap. I also have the OG ‘80s vinyl of VU and Another View. I would like to have 1969 on vinyl, but I’ve heard that the pressings are crappy. All of those mixes are on the super deluxe sets, so I don’t need the vinyl if it’s pressed badly. Besides, I’ve always liked VU and Another View, despite accusations that the mixes sound too ‘80s.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:30 pm

I'm not sure that I have knowingly heard a song by this band that I could name. I have listened to some of their songs with my quick listen method, and I don't think I would enjoy them. Carry on.
lewdd

Postby drew » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:26 am

WL/WH. Everything dark & dangerous about Rock comes from this album.
drew

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:42 am

lewdd wrote:I'm not sure that I have knowingly heard a song by this band that I could name. I have listened to some of their songs with my quick listen method, and I don't think I would enjoy them. Carry on.

You've probably heard Sweet Jane. Used to get played on the radio fairly frequently, appeared in many different movies, etc.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:45 am

version sound wrote:After doing a little research, I see that the 1980s LP also used the VV mix. I’m not sure why whoever was in charge decided to go with that mix instead of Lou’s. I first heard the album on CD, so the VV mix was the one I knew best until PSAS came out. If I had to pick one, I’d go with the closet mix, as that was the way Lou wanted the material presented, but I like both.

I have the 45th Anniversary super deluxe versions of the first three albums, which are awesome sets. I also have pretty much everything on vintage vinyl, except VU & Nico. I had a 70s UK pressing of it, but it sounded like crap. I also have the OG ‘80s vinyl of VU and Another View. I would like to have 1969 on vinyl, but I’ve heard that the pressings are crappy. All of those mixes are on the super deluxe sets, so I don’t need the vinyl if it’s pressed badly. Besides, I’ve always liked VU and Another View, despite accusations that the mixes sound too ‘80s.

So were VU and Another View done from multi-tracks then that had to be mixed down in the 80s? I never bought those collections because I figured the best stuff from them was probably on the PSAS box.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:40 am

There actually were some vintage mixes, but everything on the two albums except “The Ocean” was mixed in 1984. I don’t know if they initially only found the multitracks, and the vintage mixes that came out later were found later, or if the people involved just thought they needed to make them sound more “modern.” Looks like there are 7 tracks total from VU and Another View on PSAS. If you are a VU fan to any degree, I’d say that VU is worth hearing on its own. It’s the only collection of the ‘68/‘69 tracks that actually feels like a proper album that could have come out between the third one and Loaded.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby pedro » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:05 pm

drew wrote:WL/WH. Everything dark & dangerous about Rock comes from this album.

Except for "I'm Waiting for the Man", "Heroin" , "European Sun", "Venus in Furs" and "Black Angel's Death Song",
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:17 pm

The one with Nico
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:47 pm

pedro wrote:

Except for "I'm Waiting for the Man", "Heroin" , "European Sun", "Venus in Furs" and "Black Angel's Death Song",

Yes, no argument there. I'm saying this one because it really represents the street, the alleyways, the real scummy part of NYC. The 1st one to me is a bit more "cool, hip & in-the-know" and puts a more palatable texture over the songs even though the subject matter is dark. Make no mistake, I love everything VU.
drew

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:49 am

patient_ot wrote:
lewdd wrote:I'm not sure that I have knowingly heard a song by this band that I could name. I have listened to some of their songs with my quick listen method, and I don't think I would enjoy them. Carry on.

You've probably heard Sweet Jane. Used to get played on the radio fairly frequently, appeared in many different movies, etc.

This. I'd also bet you've probably heard the edited "Rock and Roll" for similar reasons and maybe covers of "Heroin," etc. by other artists (Roky Erickson did a well-known version) if not the original. Jane's Addiction covered "Rock n Roll" on their debut album, etc.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:54 am

version sound wrote:I went with WL/WH because it’s really the most Velvet Undergroundy of their records.

I agree with what drew and pedro wrote about this album and some of the songs on the debut, but I think you're referring to a specific perception of VU more than what they actually were, which is a NYC band with Long Island roots and an outlet for Lou's songs, more or less. That includes all the dangerous, dark, scummy, etc. druggy street stuff, but also stuff like "Pale Blue Eyes," (which is about infidelity, so even he soft/quiet/pretty stuff had dark lyrical subject matter occasionally) and "Train Goin' Round the Bend" (obviously Lou liked country/western and wanted to showcase it).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 am

If we're painting with huge brushes here, I'd say this: 3rd s/t album - everything sad, drony, post-rock-ish in indie rock comes from this album. No 3rd album, no Big Star 3rd, YLT, Galaxie 500/Luna, et al. In short, the whole "beautiful loser" aesthetic.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:18 pm

JGJR wrote:

If we're painting with huge brushes here, I'd say this: 3rd s/t album - everything sad, drony, post-rock-ish in indie rock comes from this album. No 3rd album, no Big Star 3rd, YLT, Galaxie 500/Luna, et al. In short, the whole "beautiful loser" aesthetic.

Sounds good to me. Lou Reed plugged in his guitar and everything I love about music, art, literature and “hipness” came roaring out.
drew

Postby version sound » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:43 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:I went with WL/WH because it’s really the most Velvet Undergroundy of their records.

I agree with what drew and pedro wrote about this album and some of the songs on the debut, but I think you're referring to a specific perception of VU more than what they actually were, which is a NYC band with Long Island roots and an outlet for Lou's songs, more or less.

Nope. The VU was as much Cale as it was Reed in the beginning, then Reed bullied Sterling and Moe into kicking Cale out so that he could completely take over. After that, it was only an outlet for his songs. VU with Cale was a very different band. Don’t fool yourself.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:48 pm

JGJR wrote:

Wrong on BS 3rd. First of all, they covered Femme Fatale from VU & Nico. Seems like a little hint about where the VU influence was coming from. There is nothing in 3rd that couldn’t have been influenced by the first two albums. I actually call bullshit on the idea that any of those bands were specifically influenced by only one VU record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:02 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Wrong on BS 3rd. First of all, they covered Femme Fatale from VU & Nico. Seems like a little hint about where the VU influence was coming from. There is nothing in 3rd that couldn’t have been influenced by the first two albums. I actually call bullshit on the idea that any of those bands were specifically influenced by only one VU record.

I don’t agree at all. I think bands make very conscious decisions about their sound and specifically abou what “era” of a band they are “copping” In the case of VU its more of the style of songs bands take a chance at.

Anyway, WH/WL is still their best album……
drew

Postby version sound » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:06 am

drew wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I don’t agree at all. I think bands make very conscious decisions about their sound and specifically abou what “era” of a band they are “copping” In the case of VU its more of the style of songs bands take a chance at.

Maybe some bands are that contrived, but I’m not buying it with regard to the specific bands who were mentioned. First of all, how are you pinpointing that the influence came specifically from the third album and not earlier songs like “Femme Fatale, “I’m Waiting for the Man,” “Here She Comes Now” or other quieter songs or later songs (like nearly all of the 1969 recordings)???? The idea that this one specific record, and ONLY that record, influenced these bands of music fans is complete nonsense.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:28 am

VU with Nico and the 3rd S/T album are the ones I listen to the most. I like all four studio albums for what they are. As far as specifics on influences, I really think you'd have to ask the artists in question or mine their interviews. Often influences that a particular artist takes aren't always obvious.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:54 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I agree with what drew and pedro wrote about this album and some of the songs on the debut, but I think you're referring to a specific perception of VU more than what they actually were, which is a NYC band with Long Island roots and an outlet for Lou's songs, more or less.

Nope. The VU was as much Cale as it was Reed in the beginning, then Reed bullied Sterling and Moe into kicking Cale out so that he could completely take over. After that, it was only an outlet for his songs. VU with Cale was a very different band. Don’t fool yourself.

I would buy that argument if they weren't all Lou's songs, by and large. I know Cale had a HUGE role in their sound early on, though, so if that's what you mean, then sure.

And yep, I don't think most bands can exist with more than one prolific singer-songwriter/leader for more than a few years for that very reason; ego frequently takes over, etc. Obviously, there are exceptions like Teenage Fanclub, Sloan, Trashcan Sinatras, etc.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:56 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

They weren't and I never explicitly said that, but I should've clarified. I've seen YLT cover "I Heard Her Call My Name," so obviously they celebrate the whole catalog, but I think the *spirit*, feel, je ne sais quoi, whatever you wanna call it of all that stuff is closer to the 3rd s/t than the 1st 2. That's more what I meant. Good point about "Femme Fatale," though. I forget that sometimes, but to my ears that song could've been on the 3rd one even though it was written for Nico, who was only in the band for that specific earlier period.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:28 pm

To kill two byrds with one stone, yes they were (mostly?) Lou’s songs, but the band, and Cale in particular, played a big part in how they were arranged. The difference in the third LP (and beyond) wasn’t so much a change in Lou’s songwriting, as it was the lack of Cale’s creative input. Lou wrote great songs, but without the rest of the band (especially Cale), they were just a rock band. Arguably the best rock band of all time, but still a basic rock band. I would argue that the main reason they have had the depth and breadth of influence that they have is largely based on their earlier, more experimental incarnation, which Cale was a huge part of. Without Cale maybe their impact and legacy would have been similar to that of Big Star. They would still be influential, but their DNA would not be evident in nearly every good band that came after them. As for YLT in particular, I hear a lot of “Sister Ray” in their longer, noisier jams.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:52 am

I just finished LOU REED: A LIFE by Anthony DeCurtis. It's a pretty great rock bio, certainly the best one devoted to Lou. It really does drive home the point that VS is getting at, that VU post Cale was a radically different band. They were just a great rock band. But if you go for otherworldly, groundbreaking 'newness', nothing they did afterwards can touch the first two. In my case, I've never exactly cared all that much about innovation when it comes to r'n'r. Subtle refinements, sure. But Cale had zero interest in being a rock star and that was always kinda Lou's goal.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:42 am

I voted for the first record. In case you were wondering.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:20 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I voted for the first record. In case you were wondering.

No doubt in my mind.
scannest

Return to daghouse