That’s Deeply Annoying

That’s Deeply Annoying

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:23 pm

Ever lose track of a record or CD in your own house, even though you know damn well that you wouldn’t have gotten rid of it?

Currently MIA:

Slits - Untitled (Bootleg Retrospective) LP
Big Star - Complete Third CD set

FUCK
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: That’s Deeply Annoying

Postby lewdd » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:13 pm

Yes, once with a Cockney Rejects rarities CD. I bought another copy and then found the one I originally had.

As I have been pulling some vinyl and CDs to sell on Discogs, I have found a few things that I did not have recorded in my collection on Discogs. Probably found about 10 or so items and had to log them so I can sell them.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:46 am

version sound wrote:Ever lose track of a record or CD in your own house, even though you know damn well that you wouldn’t have gotten rid of it?

Currently MIA:

FUCK

Yep, mainly because I've been through several moves over the last 10+ years and stuff isn't alphabetized any more. Usually things turn up in a day or two but I have had to search for certain things buried in the collection. I keep most of my CD boxsets and sets in weird packaging on a shelf together so those are usually easier to find.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 am

version sound wrote:Ever lose track of a record or CD in your own house, even though you know damn well that you wouldn’t have gotten rid of it?

Currently MIA:

FUCK

I'm pretty sure that I had that Big Star set and stupidly traded it in when I did that with most of CD collection in 2016 and 2017. Which Slits Lp is that? If it's live, I think I had that one, too.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:31 am

Never heard that Big Star set. I used to play 3rd a lot but don't put it on that often anymore. Are all those outtakes and demos worthwhile? Or really only the kind of thing you listen to once and never again?
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:34 am

patient_ot wrote:Never heard that Big Star set. I used to play 3rd a lot but don't put it on that often anymore. Are all those outtakes and demos worthwhile? Or really only the kind of thing you listen to once and never again?

From what I remember, the demos on disc 1 are like that, but I'd return to some of the alternate/more developed versions on disc 2. I think disc 3 is the completed album, but I forgot what track order they used, the most common ones being the 1978 PVC track order that's used on my vinyl copy (the 4MWB reissue) or the Ryko Third/Sister Lovers CD which rearranges the track order and adds some songs.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:59 pm

If you love the album, it’s an interesting listen, but it’s no substitute for the album proper (to the extent that there is one). It’s possible that I traded it in, but it seems unlikely. That goes for enough that I would have sold it on eBay (I think it was still sealed, even). Plus, I didn’t get rid of the live CD I bought at the same time, so it would have been very weird for me to decide to let that one go.

The Slits record is early demos, radio sessions, maybe some live stuff. It’s basically the equivalent of the Pop Group’s We Are Time (and is also on Y/Rough Trade). It actually came out between their two proper albums. My vinyl is alphabetized, so it should be where it’s supposed to be. No way I would’ve gotten rid of a Slits record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:53 am

version sound wrote:If you love the album, it’s an interesting listen, but it’s no substitute for the album proper (to the extent that there is one). It’s possible that I traded it in, but it seems unlikely. That goes for enough that I would have sold it on eBay (I think it was still sealed, even). Plus, I didn’t get rid of the live CD I bought at the same time, so it would have been very weird for me to decide to let that one go.

The Slits record is early demos, radio sessions, maybe some live stuff. It’s basically the equivalent of the Pop Group’s We Are Time (and is also on Y/Rough Trade). It actually came out between their two proper albums. My vinyl is alphabetized, so it should be where it’s supposed to be. No way I would’ve gotten rid of a Slits record.

I have that live album, too at least if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's other musicians touring and playing 3rd/Sister Lovers, right?

Is the Slits collection this?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Slits-Untit ... ter/214202

I definitely had it, too.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:53 pm

JGJR wrote:Is the Slits collection this?

https://www.discogs.com/The-Slits-Untit ... ter/214202

I definitely had it, too.

Yup, that’s it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Knutsen » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:04 am

Definately!
CDs:
Weezer - Blue album. Already bought twice. Gone.
Baroness - Red album. Gone.
Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes - Gone. Probably forgotten somewhere under the seat of a rental car.
:?
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:56 pm

Knutsen wrote:Definately!
CDs:

Wish I'd kept mine; great album.
JGJR

Postby drew » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:49 pm

JGJR wrote:
CDs:

Didn't they sell a zillion of these? None around?
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:47 pm

First world problem
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:24 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:
CDs:

Didn't they sell a zillion of these? None around?

Yep, and for awhile you could buy a new sealed copy of the original CD version for $5 out of the bargain racks at big box stores. Fortunately easy to replace. If I lost a rare CD I'd be much more upset. Still kind of annoying to buy multiple copies of the same thing. Been there though.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:10 pm

JGJR wrote:
CDs:

I have a copy that I’d offer to send to you for the cost of shipping, but it’s the CD only (no booklet) and I’d be willing to bet that you can get a complete copy for about the same cost.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse