post punk

post punk

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:00 pm

It’s funny back then, there were no labels. There was new wave and modern rock or what was alternative with the intro of 120 minutes. Then all of sudden with the advent of the internet in classifying those eras, it became post punk (which I do embrace ). I’m sure we all grew up on post punk and it’s probably nothing new to you guys now, but my intro right away was THE CURE, THE SISTERS OF MERCY, THE MISSION UK since most of the goth acts also fell in that category. Then eventually DEPECHE MODE, NEW ORDER and THE SMITHS.
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: post punk

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:31 am

IIRC "Post-Punk" was a term invented by UK music journalists. It was meant to encompass a wide variety of stuff, not one specific sound. However, today you get people that like to hyper-subgenrefy everything and put stuff into very narrow categories.

Here's a list I made a few years ago:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/patient_ ... punk_list/
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:18 pm

Anyone who enjoys genuine post-punk should explore the Laughing Clowns catalog. This stuff is too often overlooked. If you find Chris Bailey’s “Saints” to be a snooze compared to the first three albums (I know I do), that’s because Ed Kuepper was the real visionary in the band.

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:33 am

version sound wrote:Anyone who enjoys genuine post-punk should explore the Laughing Clowns catalog. This stuff is too often overlooked. If you find Chris Bailey’s “Saints” to be a snooze compared to the first three albums (I know I do), that’s because Ed Kuepper was the real visionary in the band.

I've never really listened to the latter day Saints after the first 3 albums. I know folks are pretty divided on that stuff. LC has been on my list to check out for awhile but never got around to them. I don't think their stuff is super easy to find either. Saw one CD at a library sale once. Was going to buy it but the shop wouldn't take cards and I didn't have any cash on me.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse