Gray Matter “Take It Back” blue vinyl scoop

Gray Matter “Take It Back” blue vinyl scoop

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:13 pm

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Gray Matter “Take It Back” blue vinyl scoop

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:23 pm

I wish I would have heard that record when it first came out. I am sure I would have been a fan of it. Not sure it would make my vinyl rotation nowadays.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Already scooped up the last 6 copies. They should fetch a nice little nest eggs on wherever dorks shop for stuff.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:36 pm

Want it, but don’t need it. Probably will resist, since I have an 80s pressing.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:55 pm

version sound wrote:Probably will resist.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:10 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Judging by the price and the mock-up artwork, it looks like this is the “expanded” version, which I have no interest in, so that settles it for me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:40 am

version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Judging by the price and the mock-up artwork, it looks like this is the “expanded” version, which I have no interest in, so that settles it for me.

I want a WRITTEN contract and I want it PUBLISHED on this board. And you break it (which we all know you will) you need to pay everyone on this board a $20 gift certificate.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:30 am

Don't really need this, but out of curiosity where is Dischord pressing vinyl these days? I've basically tried to avoid their stuff since they started pressing at United but I don't know if they are still using them.

Great band though, I like everything by them and got to see them perform this EP live at one of their reunion gigs a few years back.
patient_ot

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:37 am

I have an OG and a black reissue but still grabbed this. I've made it a thing to purchase any of these Dischord color variants as they come since they're priced nicely.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:16 am

I kinda wish Dischord would re-press THOG on vinyl instead of just their first two records. I bought the THOG CD shortly after it came out and didn't get into as much (several songs were already released on that double 7"), but after going back to it years later, there are some really awesome songs on there. I mean, Thog was actually a "3" song and it rips. Snare is another great song.
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:17 am

version sound wrote:Want it, but don’t need it. Probably will resist, since I have an 80s pressing.

I had a maroon copy with the poster. I really wish I still did. Now I just have the 2009 version.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:22 am

version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Looking at the tracklisting, they just added the Alive & Kicking version of "Walk the Line" to the original pressing, no? I think the 2009 version (the expanded one) is different because all of Take It Back is on side 1 and the double 7" from the later period is on side 2 iirc.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:37 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I kinda wish Dischord would re-press THOG on vinyl instead of just their first two records. I bought the THOG CD shortly after it came out and didn't get into as much (several songs were already released on that double 7"), but after going back to it years later, there are some really awesome songs on there. I mean, Thog was actually a "3" song and it rips. Snare is another great song.

I also wonder why they have just left "Thog" alone all these years. "Thog" the song was the first GM tune I ever heard, I love it. I think it's an underrated album. I have the vinyl but would love if they pressed it on green or something.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:59 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I kinda wish Dischord would re-press THOG on vinyl instead of just their first two records. I bought the THOG CD shortly after it came out and didn't get into as much (several songs were already released on that double 7"), but after going back to it years later, there are some really awesome songs on there. I mean, Thog was actually a "3" song and it rips. Snare is another great song.

I saw them when they 'toured' with Thog. Maxwells, Hoboken.

They were pure bliss.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:23 am

patient_ot wrote:Don't really need this, but out of curiosity where is Dischord pressing vinyl these days? I've basically tried to avoid their stuff since they started pressing at United but I don't know if they are still using them.

Most (all?) of their stuff is pressed at Furnace in the DC area. Furnace is owned by Eric Astor who did Art Monk Construction and plays drums in Samuel (who are recording again.)
the mean

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:45 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Looking at the tracklisting, they just added the Alive & Kicking version of "Walk the Line" to the original pressing, no? I think the 2009 version (the expanded one) is different because all of Take It Back is on side 1 and the double 7" from the later period is on side 2 iirc.

Look at the picture of the record. That’s the label from the expanded version. Plus, $15 is Dischord’s price for an LP (hell, this thing was $11 in 2009). I don’t see Dischord charging full LP price for a six song EP. it’s listed that way on Bandcamp because they sell TIB and BTB separately.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:36 pm

gregpolard wrote:

I also wonder why they have just left "Thog" alone all these years. "Thog" the song was the first GM tune I ever heard, I love it. I think it's an underrated album. I have the vinyl but would love if they pressed it on green or something.

I personally love Thog and it's one of the best albums ever released on Dischord, IMHO. I think a lot of GM fans don't like it because of the long break between releases, and the fact that it's more polished and melodic. However, the songs and vocals are great on most of the album, again, IMHO. I've met a few people that rate it really highly over the years but I think these folks are in the minority. Anyway when I saw them they only played 2 or 3 Thog tracks. It would've been great to see them on that tour.
Last edited by patient_ot on Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:37 pm

the mean wrote:Most (all?) of their stuff is pressed at Furnace in the DC area. Furnace is owned by Eric Astor who did Art Monk Construction and plays drums in Samuel (who are recording again.)

Gotcha. I don't think I have any recent Furnace vinyl. I remember Furnace as a CD plant back in the 90s. United sucks, so I suppose anything is better.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 pm

version sound wrote:Look at the picture of the record. That’s the label from the expanded version. Plus, $15 is Dischord’s price for an LP (hell, this thing was $11 in 2009). I don’t see Dischord charging full LP price for a six song EP. it’s listed that way on Bandcamp because they sell TIB and BTB separately.

I just checked and you're right, of course. I thought the $15 price (which would still be a bargain compared to most labels even if it was just the original 6-song EP) was feasible because it was originally a 6-song 12", but yeah, this looks like a straight repress of the 2009 version on a different color (mine is grey, I think). It also took me a few minutes to realize that BTW means "Bite the Bit" and that you mean the original double 7" on the B-side of that Lp. I've just never heard it referred to as that ever, so it threw me off a bit, but no matter.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:23 pm

patient_ot wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I personally love Thog and it's one of the best albums ever released on Dischord, IMHO. I think a lot of GM fans don't like it because of the long break between releases, and the fact that it's more polished and melodic. However, the songs and vocals are great on most of the album, again, IMHO. I've met a few people that rate it really highly over the years but I think these folks are in the minority. Anyway when I saw them they only played 2 or 3 Thog tracks. It would've been great to see them on that tour.

I think Take it Back is one of the very very best things Dischord has ever released and I love Food for Thought as well. I think both are just as melodic as Thog, at least in their own ways, and (this is more important) way hookier. I think the best songs on Thog were on the double 7". I should revisit it, though. I don't own it anymore and I wish I still did. Don't get me wrong. It's a good record, but I never thought it was anywhere near on the same level as the '80s stuff tbh.

I'm also super jealous that you got to see them, but I think I've said that on here repeatedly lol. I missed both of those shows in 2008 and 2013.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:29 pm

I saw them when the TIB reissue came out. They were pretty great.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:46 pm

Saw them at Gilman on the 1992 tour and they were excellent. Place went nuts when they said, "this song just kind of came to us"and busted out "Swann Street".
the mean

Postby DelGriffith » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:49 pm

I was gonna pass..then I saw it was only $15..what a steal! I mean who can’t afford $15 for a record?
DelGriffith

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:47 pm

JGJR wrote:It also took me a few minutes to realize that BTB means "Bite the Bit" and that you mean the original double 7" on the B-side of that Lp. I've just never heard it referred to as that ever, so it threw me off a bit, but no matter.

Back in the pre-Discogs days, I used to see it referred to as “Bite the Bit” all the time, just like people call the first Minor Threat S/T EP “Filler” and the White Cross S/T EP “Fascist.”
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:36 pm

I was the one who actually discovered them.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:51 pm

What we all do without you discovering so many bands for us?
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:25 pm

Agreed
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:16 am

JGJR wrote:
I think Take it Back is one of the very very best things Dischord has ever released and I love Food for Thought as well. I think both are just as melodic as Thog, at least in their own ways, and (this is more important) way hookier. I think the best songs on Thog were on the double 7". I should revisit it, though. I don't own it anymore and I wish I still did. Don't get me wrong. It's a good record, but I never thought it was anywhere near on the same level as the '80s stuff tbh.

I'm also super jealous that you got to see them, but I think I've said that on here repeatedly lol. I missed both of those shows in 2008 and 2013.

You should revisit Thog sometime. My favorite tracks on the album definitely aren't on that 7'' set.

TIB and the "3" album really only hint at what they do would do with Thog, so I think that's why people were thrown off. It's not as "punk" and way more mature. More of a moody indie-rock band than the teenage punk they started with on the first album.
patient_ot

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:05 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

You should revisit Thog sometime. My favorite tracks on the album definitely aren't on that 7'' set.

TIB and the "3" album really only hint at what they do would do with Thog, so I think that's why people were thrown off. It's not as "punk" and way more mature. More of a moody indie-rock band than the teenage punk they started with on the first album.

He's a lost cause. He isn't even into the "3" LP. :lol:
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:03 am

"Thog" qualifies as one of the greatest albums that has the worst album cover.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:28 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:"Thog" qualifies as one of the greatest albums that has the worst album cover.

I've seen worse.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:12 am

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:"Thog" qualifies as one of the greatest albums that has the worst album cover.

I've seen worse.

oh?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:16 am

gregpolard wrote:

I've seen worse.

Field Day LP
lewdd

Postby the mean » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:33 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I've seen worse.

oh?

the mean

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:37 am

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I've seen worse.

Field Day LP

You say that now...but not a week ago before the big news break! :lol:
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:08 pm

gregpolard wrote:
lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I've seen worse.

Field Day LP

You say that now...but not a week ago before the big news break! :lol:

Correct. I have been drinking a lot of beer since that news. My mental and physical health is suffering because of that news. I may sue for punitive damages which would include the accused's entire record collection and any valuable Hummels.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:24 pm

My copy arrived today. Looks great!
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:12 am

Gray Matter were pretty interesting (for DC) in that they actually reformed, recorded, released music and toured. Most DC bands broke up after 20 shows and two minor disagreements about chord changes in the chorus. I only got to see Gray Matter once in the summer of 1989 in DC at a Church. Autoclave and Crank opened up the show. There used to be some dude who would post 1 time a year about Gray Matter Test Pressings on the board, I wonder if he finally got them all? I think that is the only thing he ever posted about.
FlexMyHead

Postby kevin » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:30 am

patient_ot wrote:Don't really need this, but out of curiosity where is Dischord pressing vinyl these days? I've basically tried to avoid their stuff since they started pressing at United but I don't know if they are still using them.

Great band though, I like everything by them and got to see them perform this EP live at one of their reunion gigs a few years back.

Not sure if it was answered so forgive a repeat of info if that is the case. Furnace Record Pressing. Local to DC area (northern va). https://www.furnacemfg.com/about-us/
kevin

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:25 pm

kevin wrote:Not sure if it was answered so forgive a repeat of info if that is the case. Furnace Record Pressing. Local to DC area (northern va). https://www.furnacemfg.com/about-us/

Yep, don't have any real experience with them though. A few years ago they weren't actually pressing records, but assembling stuff pressed at Pallas in Germany. I did hear about them doing their own pressing in a YouTube video, but haven't actually bought or heard anything pressed there.

My biggest complaint with a lot of new vinyl is shoddy pressing. Records where the stampers aren't centered and the tonearm wavers back and forth and makes the music seasick, non-fill, factory made warps from not allowing records to properly cool before assembling into jackets, etc. Virtually no plant can get it right all the time and it's frustrating. Sending back another defective record next week.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:20 pm

I’ve been buying records from Dischord since 1983, and I’ve never had a single issue with any of them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:24 pm

version sound wrote:I’ve been buying records from Dischord since 1983, and I’ve never had a single issue with any of them.

You must be incredibly lucky then. When they were pressing at United there were definitely some stinkers. That's the main reason I have avoided Dischord vinyl for a few years now unless it's an old copy from the used bins. I think in the 80s they pressed a lot of stuff at MPO in France. That plant is hit or miss nowadays but was pretty good back in the 80s.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:28 pm

When were the United years? I must have a few records from that time period.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:06 pm

My only issue with mailordering Dischord records were that many times the records broke through the inner sleeve, so you'd buy it new, open it and the sleeve would be torn in the middle/side. For a while they were removing the sleeves during shipping, but that was weird and sometimes would lead to other issues with the inner sleeves. In terms of music or some of the other concerns, I never paid that much attention to be honest.
FlexMyHead

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:21 pm

version sound wrote:When were the United years? I must have a few records from that time period.

I'm not sure when they started but pressings from 2008-2009 or a little later should be United jobs. Look for the sloppy "U" with a circle around it in the deadwax. I'm not sure how long they kept using United for before the more recent switch to Furnace. I also do not know if there is was another switch in between those 2 plants.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:43 pm

Quick check:

Feral Hymns (2005) not United
A.C.R. 1999 (2012) United
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse