American Standard-“Wonderland”

American Standard-“Wonderland”

Postby drew » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:02 pm

Always liked this album but haven’t thrown it on in years. Holy Crap! I forgot how good this is! The tunes are top-notch
and the playing is excellent. Bill Dolan has a cool voice and was a fun frontman. I saw them live a couple of times before the album came out and never after.
I know there was a reissue/remaster a while back. Anyone have that? Is it good, any extras?
drew

Re: American Standard-“Wonderland”

Postby the mean » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:27 pm

Love this album so much. Saw them just before it came out (I think). Summer of 89 with Swiz, Shudder To Think, Gorilla Biscuits and Inside Out.
the mean

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:36 pm

I like the album too but only got a copy this year. I remember reading about it in the 90s back when it was reissued as part of the Another Planet series of CDs. I never ended up getting that CD, but when an LP copy of the album finally turned up through one of my trusted sellers, I bought it. The singer's voice is an acquired taste I think, but the album is solid. Haven't gotten around to checking out anything else by them yet.
patient_ot

Postby SamDBL » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:04 am

Killer. And great guys, too. I often wonder what the Dolan bros are up to these days. Some of my favorite people I ever met through my years with dbl.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:11 pm

Saw them sooo many times and always loved them. Nice guys for sure.

BUT, I gotta say that I liked the demo tape more than the LP. It's good, but very polished.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:31 am

Was my feature record-of-the-day post on 5/7/20:

jaybird

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:58 am

For me, this record immediately brings to mind the Nils' debut. That's cuz I bought both albums dutifully at the time they were released, but didn't really connect with either until much, much later. They both seemed kinda generic at the time, but now that no one is playing this type of rock anymore I can go back and really enjoy them for what they are.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:11 am

scannest wrote:For me, this record immediately brings to mind the Nils' debut. That's cuz I bought both albums dutifully at the time they were released, but didn't really connect with either until much, much later. They both seemed kinda generic at the time, but now that no one is playing this type of rock anymore I can go back and really enjoy them for what they are.

I kinda agree with this, especially on the "no one is playing this sort of rock any more" angle, but I think the Nils are in a class by themselves... one of the best records of the 80s, IMO. Thought so then, think so now.

I bought this record right around the same time though, like 88 or 89 and kind of thought of it as a bit generic/2nd string Dag wannabe as well, but it has grown on me considerably over the years, and as you mentioned, this sort of melodic hardcore that straddles the line with pop-punk is pretty much non-existent these days. I keep waiting for some band(s) or scene to resurrect this whole sound, but most nu-skool hardcore punk over the last 20 years or so just sounds like nth generation NOFX or Pennywise shit... Maybe this sort of thing was just a unique product of its time, I dunno.
jaybird

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:21 am

I wonder if this band will be in that "New Wind" book that Walsby is collaborating on that is all about this whole "scene"/genre of 80s 2nd wave punk?
jaybird

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:22 am

jaybird wrote: What if John Kastner..

This is spot on. If you go back and listen to "Without Asking Why" there is a small vocal part that literally sounds like John on "Whatever". Of course he has his own vocal style and it varies, but that song and "Thank You" were the two songs from this release that I would always put on mixtapes from this release and while I haven't listened to the record in quite some time, I think those were the standouts. I think I heard about the band from their tours/shows with Swiz/Soulside.
FlexMyHead

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:26 am

FlexMyHead wrote:

This is spot on. If you go back and listen to "Without Asking Why" there is a small vocal part that literally sounds like John on "Whatever". Of course he has his own vocal style and it varies, but that song and "Thank You" were the two songs from this release that I would always put on mixtapes from this release and while I haven't listened to the record in quite some time, I think those were the standouts. I think I heard about the band from their tours/shows with Swiz/Soulside.

Yeah, he doesn't quite have the higher-register range that Kastner does, but he's definitely very similar-sounding.
jaybird

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:30 am

I always wondered if Eddie Vedder liked this record. I could definitely see this as an influence on his vocal style. Then later American Standard really went with the Vedder-ish vocals.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:51 pm

jaybird wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:

Yeah, he doesn't quite have the higher-register range that Kastner does, but he's definitely very similar-sounding.

I remember hearing the kastner vocal thing back in the day. Incidentally, I always thought kastner had such a unique vocal style on the early doughboys stuff, as well as when he was in the asexuals. He once told me that that the dead boys were a huge influence on him. I didn’t understand until I heard the stir bators solo stuff, where I can totally hear shadows of John’s vocal delivery.

Secondly, I remember telling the singer for slap of reality that bill D’S voice sounded strikingly similar to his. Like, totally. Not to mention the band in general. He refused to acknowledge it.

SamDBL

Postby drew » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:10 pm

jaybird wrote:
scannest wrote:For me, this record immediately brings to mind the Nils' debut. That's cuz I bought both albums dutifully at the time they were released, but didn't really connect with either until much, much later. They both seemed kinda generic at the time, but now that no one is playing this type of rock anymore I can go back and really enjoy them for what they are.

I kinda agree with this, especially on the "no one is playing this sort of rock any more" angle, but I think the Nils are in a class by themselves... one of the best records of the 80s, IMO. Thought so then, think so now.

I bought this record right around the same time though, like 88 or 89 and kind of thought of it as a bit generic/2nd string Dag wannabe as well, but it has grown on me considerably over the years, and as you mentioned, this sort of melodic hardcore that straddles the line with pop-punk is pretty much non-existent these days. I keep waiting for some band(s) or scene to resurrect this whole sound, but most nu-skool hardcore punk over the last 20 years or so just sounds like nth generation NOFX or Pennywise shit... Maybe this sort of thing was just a unique product of its time, I dunno.

The problem with that sound was no one liked it. LOL UC & 7Secs shows were less crowded when they went "Melodic" It seems like the bands that went in that direction made amazing music but had lass fortune than with str8-up HC When 7Secs came back as three-piece playing the old(school) stuff they became very popular again.
drew

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:16 pm

drew wrote:
jaybird wrote:

The problem with that sound was no one liked it. LOL UC & 7Secs shows were less crowded when they went "Melodic" It seems like the bands that went in that direction made amazing music but had lass fortune than with str8-up HC When 7Secs came back as three-piece playing the old(school) stuff they became very popular again.

100% true.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:25 pm

SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:

I remember hearing the kastner vocal thing back in the day. Incidentally, I always thought kastner had such a unique vocal style on the early doughboys stuff, as well as when he was in the asexuals. He once told me that that the dead boys were a huge influence on him. I didn’t understand until I heard the stir bators solo stuff, where I can totally hear shadows of John’s vocal delivery.

Secondly, I remember telling the singer for slap of reality that bill D’S voice sounded strikingly similar to his. Like, totally. Not to mention the band in general. He refused to acknowledge it.

Definitely hear the similarity to Kastner in both of these.... the Stiv thing is funny... never would have made the connection without you pointing it out.

As far as the overall acceptance or not of these bands at the time, it seems like bands that started "evolving" into that sort of sound, like Dag or 7 Seconds definitely met with more resistance from their already established "hardcore" fanbase, than bands like The Doughboys who came more or less ready-made/out-of-the-box with that whole style.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:28 pm

the mean wrote:I always wondered if Eddie Vedder liked this record. I could definitely see this as an influence on his vocal style. Then later American Standard really went with the Vedder-ish vocals.

By the time I saw them in 1992, it was full-on Pearl Jam territory to the point where I've never checked out the likely better earlier stuff. The other bands on the bill were Shudder to Think (who were absolutely incredible that night) and Jawbox, who were really good, too. This was in August 1992 at City Gardens.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:37 pm

jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:

Definitely hear the similarity to Kastner in both of these.... the Stiv thing is funny... never would have made the connection without you pointing it out.

As far as the overall acceptance or not of these bands at the time, it seems like bands that started "evolving" into that sort of sound, like Dag or 7 Seconds definitely met with more resistance from their already established "hardcore" fanbase, than bands like The Doughboys who came more or less ready-made/out-of-the-box with that whole style.

Definitely those bands had an uphill battle against their own audience. Most of the time I *liked* when those bands went more mellow if they did it well. My favorite 7 Seconds stuff is new wind and ourselves. But most of their fans just despise that era.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:48 pm

SamDBL wrote:Definitely those bands had an uphill battle against their own audience. Most of the time I *liked* when those bands went more mellow if they did it well. My favorite 7 Seconds stuff is new wind and ourselves. But most of their fans just despise that era.

Same.... I've tried many, many times to get into The Crew, Walk Together, etc., but it all just sounds like a blur of white-noise guitar, 180 bpm oompa oompa drums and an angry 13 year old shouting cringier lyrics than usual for that whole genre. Probably one of those "You just had to be there for it" things.
jaybird

Postby Gary » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:46 pm

I always liked this record,but never heard anything else by them. Always reminded me of later Instigators
Gary

Postby shiver » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:30 pm

It has been some time since I have posted on the board...glad to see it going strong..and happy to see some familiar screen names...

Great band and great album. Got a chance to interview them around 1988 after I got a copy of the "Thank You" demo which is pretty much the "Wonderland" album the year before. I think the 5 songs on the demo do sound better than the re-recorded versions for the album. Demo was recorded at Inner Ear. That cassette got alot of play in my tape deck...I still have it. Got to see them open for Dag Nasty in Morgantown, WV in November of 1988. They opened for Dag Nasty there 2 times..the other time in May 1988. There is a good blog at http://bloggedquartered.blogspot.com/20 ... -1989.html that has a download of all their demos and a set from WFMU - I contributed some of this to the page...i thought a member of the dagboard (Stormy???) ran this blog but maybe not...but i cant remember everything.

Did anyone catch them on the SWASIDE Tour in summer of 1988...Swiz, SoulSide and American Standard?

Jon Shiver
shiver

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:24 am

Here's my copy:

Here's the album on YT:

The album is definitely worth seeking out IMHO, and it's not too expensive. Note that the actual record or CD should sound better than any YT upload.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:16 am

patient_ot wrote:Here's my copy:

Here's the album on YT:

The album is definitely worth seeking out IMHO, and it's not too expensive. Note that the actual record or CD should sound better than any YT upload.

Thanks for this. Given my NJHC background and as a former Hoboken resident for years (I think these guys were from there iirc), I feel silly that I haven't ever heard this album before today, but I think a lot of my skepticism came from seeing them in their later days. It's really good. Listening now, this is the album I wish Token Entry would've made instead of The Weight of the World (their 3rd one). There's a bit more Dag-like guitar heroics and a more "rock"-ish singer, though.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:00 am

I did my quick 2 minute listen of the entire album approach on this album and can say I probably would have really liked this back in the day. It may not be too late for me to really get into it either. I hear a little bit of the Shattered Faith singers vocals in this band's vox.
lewdd

Postby drew » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:46 am

lewdd wrote:I did my quick 2 minute listen of the entire album approach on this album and can say I probably would have really liked this back in the day. It may not be too late for me to really get into it either. I hear a little bit of the Shattered Faith singers vocals in this band's vox.

You’re driving me crazy, Lewdd! Listen to the songs!!!
drew

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:20 pm

drew wrote:
lewdd wrote:I did my quick 2 minute listen of the entire album approach on this album and can say I probably would have really liked this back in the day. It may not be too late for me to really get into it either. I hear a little bit of the Shattered Faith singers vocals in this band's vox.

You’re driving me crazy, Lewdd! Listen to the songs!!!

I don't have time for that. I wanted to make a quick assessment if this record had any chance I would like it and it did.
lewdd

Postby the mean » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:10 pm

Not sure I've ever seen any live footage on YouTube, but my friend Shayne just uploaded a Jersey Beat video with a couple songs:

https://sacramentomusicarchive.com/1991 ... njhc-nyhc/

Starts at right about the one hour mark.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 am

the mean wrote:Not sure I've ever seen any live footage on YouTube, but my friend Shayne just uploaded a Jersey Beat video with a couple songs:

https://sacramentomusicarchive.com/1991 ... njhc-nyhc/

Starts at right about the one hour mark.

Oh holy moly, thanks for this. I don't think I've ever come across live footage of Headstrong. They were awesome and totally unknown outside of the New Brunswick area, basically, but at one point Tim Chunks was their singer. I saw them and Shades Apart open for Green Day once duing that era (January '93), the City Gardens show got them signed to Reprise afterwards.
JGJR

Return to daghouse