Shitty Sounding Albums VASTLY Improved by Remixing

Shitty Sounding Albums VASTLY Improved by Remixing

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:44 pm

Lifetime - Background
Ressurection - I Refuse
Rorschach - Protestant
Scream - No More Censorship (allegedly; haven't heard it but this seems to be the consensus)
I know some of you like B'last! on here, so maybe those reissues of recent years?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Shitty Sounding Albums VASTLY Improved by Remixing

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:55 pm

I'm with you on Rorschach. That is one of the few instances where remixing from multi-tracks actually worked out well IMHO.

Re: Lifetime, I've never been able to get into that album. I checked out the remix a few years ago and it didn't really do it for me. The album is just too long, slow, and whiny. Had the band picked the best 4 tracks for a 12'' EP it would've been better. MY 2 cents. I don't think it's horrible or anything just not great.

I've not heard the Bl'ast remixes. Quite honestly, the original albums weren't that well recorded but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment. I think the main reason for the remixing and pulling recordings from different sessions was to get around the bullshit with SST. But like a lot of Southern Lord stuff, they just bricked the shit out of the albums in the mastering stage.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:01 pm

Here's one. This is a Swedish death metal album from 1995. For this reissue the band went back to the multis and remixed everything with much better results. Both the OG mix and the remix are on the same CD here. It's not even close IMHO.

https://www.discogs.com/Molested-Blod-d ... se/9891721
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:26 pm

patient_ot wrote:I'm with you on Rorschach. That is one of the few instances where remixing from multi-tracks actually worked out well IMHO.

Re: Lifetime, I've never been able to get into that album. I checked out the remix a few years ago and it didn't really do it for me. The album is just too long, slow, and whiny. Had the band picked the best 4 tracks for a 12'' EP it would've been better. MY 2 cents. I don't think it's horrible or anything just not great.

I've not heard the Bl'ast remixes. Quite honestly, the original albums weren't that well recorded but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment. I think the main reason for the remixing and pulling recordings from different sessions was to get around the bullshit with SST. But like a lot of Southern Lord stuff, they just bricked the shit out of the albums in the mastering stage.

Rorschach - I've only heard it via Spotify since I didn't pick up the remaster (should have when I saw them in 2009), but it completely blew me away compared to how it sounded on the Autopsy CD.

Lifetime - I think most who only like the later stuff that made them big would probably agree, but sometimes my favorite thing they ever did is the 1st 7". That is partly due to nostalgia/geographical reasons, though (they're old friends/acquaintances). But of the later stuff, I think Tinnitus and Hello Bastards are way better than Background, but that the remix of Background helped it a lot. I think "Up" is its best song. There actually IS something that exists like that (the "Ghost" 12"). It's 6 songs and not 4, but I think it still distills the best moments of Background into a more compact package, I guess.

https://www.discogs.com/Lifetime-Ghost/release/2671510

B'last! - I've never really given them a serious listen past the 1st album (which I wasn't super into) tbh.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
Lifetime - I think most who only like the later stuff that made them big would probably agree, but sometimes my favorite thing they ever did is the 1st 7". That is partly due to nostalgia/geographical reasons, though (they're old friends/acquaintances). But of the later stuff, I think Tinnitus and Hello Bastards are way better than Background, but that the remix of Background helped it a lot. I think "Up" is its best song. There actually IS something that exists like that (the "Ghost" 12"). It's 6 songs and not 4, but I think it still distills the best moments of Background into a more compact package, I guess.

Interesting. Yeah, like a lot of people I got into Lifetime via the two Jade Tree albums. I always meant to pick up the 7inches CD but never did. I think that stuff was on the Background 2xCD reissue also? I don't know offhand.
patient_ot

Postby captain2man » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:08 pm

I saw Lifetime when they only had that first 7" out. I didn't think much of them honestly. I bought 'Background' when it came out - didn't think much of that either. The songs I guess were OK, but Ari's vocals were just so monotone. Like he sang one note really, really well - but he just stayed on that one note. I'm not sure how a remaster would fix an actual performance, since that's sort of the hang-up for me, but I'd give it a shot.

But then 'Hello Bastards' came out - and that changed everything.

And for the second time today - I'll say (without ever having heard the original on RAS) that the Southern Lord remix/remaster of Scream's 'No More Censorship' is REALLY good. Sounds huge and the songs are awesome.

I was so disappointed when Rorschach's 'Protestant' came out. It took forever for that album to be released and everyone who saw them already knew the songs. The record was such a letdown, production-wise. Definitely a record that needed a remaster or whatever you call it.

Not hardcore.....but the Blue Oyster Cult boxset from 10 years was also greatly needed. Those albums sounded SO weak on CD in their original form. The remastered CDs in that boxset cured all the problems.
captain2man

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:25 pm

Just to be clear, remastering and remixing aren't the same thing.

Remastering is simply getting the best source available, hopefully (but not always) the original analog mixed down tape (or in some cases DATs, digitial files, etc.) and the mastering engineer adding appropriate EQ, setting the levels, tasteful compression, etc. Nowadays this is mostly (but not always) done in the digital domain regardless of how the original album was mixed and recorded.

Remixing is a totally different deal. To do a real remix, you have to go back to the multi-track tapes and mix down the album to 2 channel stereo from scratch. Same deal with 5.1 surround mixes and all that.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:53 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Interesting. Yeah, like a lot of people I got into Lifetime via the two Jade Tree albums. I always meant to pick up the 7inches CD but never did. I think that stuff was on the Background 2xCD reissue also? I don't know offhand.

I didn't know that Background got a 2xCD reissue. I'll have to look into that, but more likely than not, you're talking about this 2 CD set called Somewhere in the Swamps of Jersey. It includes not only the remixed version of Background, but a remix of the 1st 7" that according to them is way better, makes it listenable (note: iirc they originally remixed it for the SevenInches CD that came out in 1994 originally and then got reissued, but I'm not 100% sure if they're the same mix; looks like yes from the Discogs listing). I've always loved the original version, but don't mind and like the remix just fine. I don't think Tinnitus was remixed, but I'm not 100% sure. Oh and there are some comp tracks and whatnot on there, too. It's a great set.

https://www.discogs.com/Lifetime-Somewh ... se/1259072
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:01 am

captain2man wrote:I saw Lifetime when they only had that first 7" out. I didn't think much of them honestly. I bought 'Background' when it came out - didn't think much of that either. The songs I guess were OK, but Ari's vocals were just so monotone. Like he sang one note really, really well - but he just stayed on that one note. I'm not sure how a remaster would fix an actual performance, since that's sort of the hang-up for me, but I'd give it a shot.

But then 'Hello Bastards' came out - and that changed everything.

And for the second time today - I'll say (without ever having heard the original on RAS) that the Southern Lord remix/remaster of Scream's 'No More Censorship' is REALLY good. Sounds huge and the songs are awesome.

I was so disappointed when Rorschach's 'Protestant' came out. It took forever for that album to be released and everyone who saw them already knew the songs. The record was such a letdown, production-wise. Definitely a record that needed a remaster or whatever you call it.

Not hardcore.....but the Blue Oyster Cult boxset from 10 years was also greatly needed. Those albums sounded SO weak on CD in their original form. The remastered CDs in that boxset cured all the problems.

Lifetime - I'll just add that "Tinnitus" came out in early '94 and just blew people's minds. I still think that "Isae Aldy Beausoleil" is their very best song. It's incredible. That was a crucial step to get to Hello Bastards, which as you said was a total game-changer. My old friend Dave P joining made all the difference, as did Pete and Scotty.

Rorschach - I probably avoided it until I bought Autopsy because of the really bad review in Hardware. I had probably a few dozen (if not hundred) chances to buy that original pressing for $5 from some kid's bin back in the day, but yeah the remastered one from 2009 is so so so much better.

BOC - this thing? https://www.discogs.com/Blue-%C3%96yste ... se/6378611
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:23 am

JGJR wrote:
Lifetime - I'll just add that "Tinnitus" came out in early '94 and just blew people's minds. I still think that "Isae Aldy Beausoleil" is their very best song. It's incredible. That was a crucial step to get to Hello Bastards, which as you said was a total game-changer. My old friend Dave P joining made all the difference, as did Pete and Scotty.

Rorschach - I probably avoided it until I bought Autopsy because of the really bad review in Hardware. I had probably a few dozen (if not hundred) chances to buy that original pressing for $5 from some kid's bin back in the day, but yeah the remastered one from 2009 is so so so much better.

BOC - this thing? https://www.discogs.com/Blue-%C3%96yste ... se/6378611

Rorshach was not a remaster, but a full remix. The hype sticker on the CD says "remixed and remastered" which is sort of stupid since by definition you must remaster after doing a remix. A number of bands have done the same type of marketing.

BOC are not remixes AFAIK, they are just remasters, and that catalog was starting to be remastered back in 2001.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:26 am

JGJR wrote:I didn't know that Background got a 2xCD reissue. I'll have to look into that, but more likely than not, you're talking about this 2 CD set called Somewhere in the Swamps of Jersey. It includes not only the remixed version of Background, but a remix of the 1st 7" that according to them is way better, makes it listenable (note: iirc they originally remixed it for the SevenInches CD that came out in 1994 originally and then got reissued, but I'm not 100% sure if they're the same mix; looks like yes from the Discogs listing). I've always loved the original version, but don't mind and like the remix just fine. I don't think Tinnitus was remixed, but I'm not 100% sure. Oh and there are some comp tracks and whatnot on there, too. It's a great set.

That is what I was talking about, just forgot the name. Since the remixed and original Background album make up the bulk of the set, I was just referring to it as Background. And yeah I have thought about buying it before, but never did.
patient_ot

Postby jaybird » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:03 pm

I do wonder how much FIELD DAY could benefit from a serious remix/re-master along the lines of Scream's NMC-17.... both original releases suffer from really thin, tinny 80's production IMO, but Field Day has much, much stronger songs.
jaybird

Postby soulforce » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:05 pm

Bad Brains - Rock For Light

Just trolling ;)
soulforce

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:21 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:I didn't know that Background got a 2xCD reissue. I'll have to look into that, but more likely than not, you're talking about this 2 CD set called Somewhere in the Swamps of Jersey. It includes not only the remixed version of Background, but a remix of the 1st 7" that according to them is way better, makes it listenable (note: iirc they originally remixed it for the SevenInches CD that came out in 1994 originally and then got reissued, but I'm not 100% sure if they're the same mix; looks like yes from the Discogs listing). I've always loved the original version, but don't mind and like the remix just fine. I don't think Tinnitus was remixed, but I'm not 100% sure. Oh and there are some comp tracks and whatnot on there, too. It's a great set.

That is what I was talking about, just forgot the name. Since the remixed and original Background album make up the bulk of the set, I was just referring to it as Background. And yeah I have thought about buying it before, but never did.

Before I looked again carefully at the tracklisting, I had forgotten that the original version of Background is included on there as well. It's nice that they did that so that folks wouldn't have to track down the '92 Lp or CD to hear the original mix.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:23 pm

JGJR wrote:
Before I looked again carefully at the tracklisting, I had forgotten that the original version of Background is included on there as well. It's nice that they did that so that folks wouldn't have to track down the '92 Lp or CD to hear the original mix.

Yeah, I'm a fan of that approach. If there are dedicated stereo and mono mixes, give us both. If there's an O.G. mix and remix, give us both. Not hard to do with CD reissues or digital downloads honestly.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:25 pm

How about YOT, "We're Not In This Alone"?

This album suffers from notorious recording problems and there are at least three different mixes. The OG mix, which the band and most fans seemingly hated, the 2nd Caroline Mix, and the later '90s Revelation remix.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:16 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yeah, I'm a fan of that approach. If there are dedicated stereo and mono mixes, give us both. If there's an O.G. mix and remix, give us both. Not hard to do with CD reissues or digital downloads honestly.

100%

Sometimes there aren't really any noticeable differences in those cases. I keep thinking of that Zombies disc I had with both the stereo and mono mixes of Odessey and Oracle. And of course, sometimes the differences are jarring and noticeable like with Background, for example.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:23 pm

JGJR wrote:
Sometimes there aren't really any noticeable differences in those cases. I keep thinking of that Zombies disc I had with both the stereo and mono mixes of Odessey and Oracle. And of course, sometimes the differences are jarring and noticeable like with Background, for example.

If you mean the Big Beat 30th Anniversary CD with stereo and mono mixes, I have that and always thought it was a great sounding disc. It's been a long time since I listened to the mono version of the album though. As with the Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow, I mostly listen to the stereo mix, but like owning both mixes for the collection so I can play the mono versions when I want.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:28 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

If you mean the Big Beat 30th Anniversary CD with stereo and mono mixes, I have that and always thought it was a great sounding disc. It's been a long time since I listened to the mono version of the album though. As with the Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow, I mostly listen to the stereo mix, but like owning both mixes for the collection so I can play the mono versions when I want.

It is that Big Beat disc. It's what got me into them. I remember buying it in 2003 after a friend recommended it and I played it so so much. I wish I still had that set. But yeah, the mono is not very memorable since the stereo mix is just fine. I had a great sounding CD copy of SF Sorrow, too. I think it's the Snapper version.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:02 am

JGJR wrote:
It is that Big Beat disc. It's what got me into them. I remember buying it in 2003 after a friend recommended it and I played it so so much. I wish I still had that set. But yeah, the mono is not very memorable since the stereo mix is just fine. I had a great sounding CD copy of SF Sorrow, too. I think it's the Snapper version.

Snapper released S.F. Sorrow several times and they didn't do a great job of labeling the discs. Originally there was a remastered mono version of SFS in a jewel case, and the stereo remastered version came in a digipak. Then they started putting the stereo version in a jewel case sometimes. My copy of the stereo remaster is actually in a Super Jewel Box. I guess the band prefers the mono mix, but I prefer the stereo for SFS. There is some typical 60s hard panning on the stereo mix which might make the mono more preferable if you're listening on headphones. On speakers it's not an issue.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:10 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Snapper released S.F. Sorrow several times and they didn't do a great job of labeling the discs. Originally there was a remastered mono version of SFS in a jewel case, and the stereo remastered version came in a digipak. Then they started putting the stereo version in a jewel case sometimes. My copy of the stereo remaster is actually in a Super Jewel Box. I guess the band prefers the mono mix, but I prefer the stereo for SFS. There is some typical 60s hard panning on the stereo mix which might make the mono more preferable if you're listening on headphones. On speakers it's not an issue.

I wish I could remember which version it was, but it could've been 1998, 2000, or 2003 issue since I bought it used at Armageddon in Providence in early 2006. I think it was stereo, but I can't remember for sure.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:54 am

JGJR wrote:I wish I could remember which version it was, but it could've been 1998, 2000, or 2003 issue since I bought it used at Armageddon in Providence in early 2006. I think it was stereo, but I can't remember for sure.

Here's what I have:

This is MONO:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Pretty-Thin ... se/4647034

ALL of these are STEREO:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Pretty-Thin ... se/3583101

https://www.discogs.com/The-Pretty-Thin ... se/5489298

https://www.discogs.com/The-Pretty-Thin ... se/1587217
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:59 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:I wish I could remember which version it was, but it could've been 1998, 2000, or 2003 issue since I bought it used at Armageddon in Providence in early 2006. I think it was stereo, but I can't remember for sure.

Here's what I have:

This is MONO:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Pretty-Thin ... se/4647034

ALL of these are STEREO:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Pretty-Thin ... se/3583101

https://www.discogs.com/The-Pretty-Thin ... se/5489298

https://www.discogs.com/The-Pretty-Thin ... se/1587217

Thanks!
JGJR

Return to daghouse