Re: Bands you only dislike one album by

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:24 pm

the mean wrote:JAWBREAKER - Dear You
SUNNY DAY REAL ESTATE - The Rising Tide

Garbage takes IMO ;)

Scream - No More Censorship
DYS - s/t
SSD - Break It Up

I'm sure I'll think of others; trying to stick to hardcore/punk for now.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:32 pm

JGJR wrote:Scream - No More Censorship

Have you heard the Southern Lord remix/remaster of this? (NMC-17)

I really like it - probably better than Banging the Drum. To be fair - I never heard the original RAS Records version....but a friend was over the other night who doesn't like that album at all....but he heard the new version and he completely dug it.
captain2man

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:42 pm

Joni Mitchell 'Blue' (with the exception of the song "River") which is so good that ..in the words of Nigel Tufnel..."makes me weep instantly".
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:43 pm

captain2man wrote:

Have you heard the Southern Lord remix/remaster of this? (NMC-17)

I really like it - probably better than Banging the Drum. To be fair - I never heard the original RAS Records version....but a friend was over the other night who doesn't like that album at all....but he heard the new version and he completely dug it.

Underrated LP. Old version and re-issue. If this was on Dischord, people would have liked it. GREAT f'n album.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:01 pm

The Southern Lord remix/reissue of No More Censorship shows that it's actually a really good record.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:02 pm

Late era SDRE was a tough pill for me. I thought they sounded like Rush at that point, which I pretty much can't stand. Haven't heard that stuff in years though.

The first 2 albums were great though, and the third was pretty good. I need another copy of that one. They were great when I saw them live in '97 or '98.

Kinda waiting for the Clash's Cut the Crap to show up here...:)
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:05 pm

gregpolard wrote:The Southern Lord remix/reissue of No More Censorship shows that it's actually a really good record.

You're welcome.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:08 pm

gregpolard wrote:The Southern Lord remix/reissue of No More Censorship shows that it's actually a really good record.

I haven't heard the remix, to be fair, though I would like to, but I have heard the original version and I think it fits this thread perfectly.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:15 pm

patient_ot wrote:Late era SDRE was a tough pill for me. I thought they sounded like Rush at that point, which I pretty much can't stand. Haven't heard that stuff in years though.

The first 2 albums were great though, and the third was pretty good. I need another copy of that one. They were great when I saw them live in '97 or '98.

Kinda waiting for the Clash's Cut the Crap to show up here...:)

Cut the Crap would definitely be one for me, but it's really a Joe Strummer/Bernie Rhodes album more than a Clash album of any sort. Oh and Gang of Four's Hard, too, at least from the original run. None of the reunion albums really grabbed me, either, though, but they're mostly decent.

SDRE - I actually like Rush (I know there are a few others on here like hal who do as well), so I welcomed that sound, but it was also the first one I heard. I don't know how because I saw about 10 million bands that sounded like them or were influenced by them in basements in the '90s, but I managed to not hear the 1st 3 until right after The Rising Tide came out and I got really into it.

This isn't a popular opinion since I feel like I have to defend it every few months or so on here or in general, but I think it's an incredible record full of great songs, unbelievable production courtesy of Lou Giordano, and lots of twists and turns (while remaining accessible; not an easy trick) that didn't really give a toss what the emo kids thought and I gotta say I love everything about it for those reasons. It should've been huge, too, but Time Bomb really screwed the pooch on that one. I think it would also be better liked if they'd changed their name or if it was their only album or something, but it also might've gotten a slightly different (maybe bigger) alt-rock audience (or not). It still may have been way too weird/challenging for the mainstream then.

It's kind of their Field Day except it actually sounds good sonically and not muddy like FD does (still love it, though).
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:28 pm

JGJR wrote:

I haven't heard the remix, to be fair, though I would like to, but I have heard the original version and I think it fits this thread perfectly.

I don't see how in the world re-mixing/re-mastering would fix the bad songs and ridiculous butt-rock vocals, which are way bigger problems with that record, IMO.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 pm

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I don't see how in the world re-mixing/re-mastering would fix the bad songs and ridiculous butt-rock vocals, which are way bigger problems with that record, IMO.

That's my take as well, but I won't judge until I hear it.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:42 pm

Rorschach - Protestant (only 2 Lps, I know, but I love the debut, the 7", the splits, and comp tracks, and never liked this one at all until I heard the remix, which totally redeems it IMO; I'll start a separate thread for instances like this because I can think of a bunch)
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:45 pm

JGJR wrote:
Cut the Crap would definitely be one for me, but it's really a Joe Strummer/Bernie Rhodes album more than a Clash album of any sort. Oh and Gang of Four's Hard, too, at least from the original run. None of the reunion albums really grabbed me, either, though, but they're mostly decent.

SDRE - I actually like Rush (I know there are a few others on here like hal who do as well), so I welcomed that sound, but it was also the first one I heard. I don't know how because I saw about 10 million bands that sounded like them or were influenced by them in basements in the '90s, but I managed to not hear the 1st 3 until right after The Rising Tide came out and I got really into it.

This isn't a popular opinion since I feel like I have to defend it every few months or so on here or in general, but I think it's an incredible record full of great songs, unbelievable production courtesy of Lou Giordano, and lots of twists and turns (while remaining accessible; not an easy trick) that didn't really give a toss what the emo kids thought and I gotta say I love everything about it for those reasons. It should've been huge, too, but Time Bomb really screwed the pooch on that one. I think it would also be better liked if they'd changed their name or if it was their only album or something, but it also might've gotten a slightly different (maybe bigger) alt-rock audience (or not). It still may have been way too weird/challenging for the mainstream then.

It's kind of their Field Day except it actually sounds good sonically and not muddy like FD does (still love it, though).

Yeah, that's true about CTC. But it was still released under the Clash name so...

RE: TRT, I'm not sure I could ever get into that album, but I haven't heard it in a long time. I agree it should've been released under a different band name. Most of the guys did go on to a group called The Fire Theft (who only made one album), so I suppose they could've used that name.

My issue with TRT isn't that the band changed their sound, because none of the first 3 albums really sound that much alike. It's that they changed to a sound I just didn't care for.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:47 pm

Uniform Choice - Staring At The Sun anyone? I guess they only made 2 real albums but this is just not good to me. Over the years people have tried to convince me to revisit this album but it still sounds awful to me. The singing isn't good and the production sucks. Not to mention UC were better at playing HC with some melody than trying to be a commercial hard rock band. I don't like Mindfunk either. Sorry guys.
patient_ot

Postby Hal » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Just picked up a copy for $5 and was reminded on first listen how bad it is :lol:
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:20 pm

patient_ot wrote:Uniform Choice - Staring At The Sun anyone?

Except for the fact that their best and most excellent album.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:28 pm

patient_ot wrote:Uniform Choice - Staring At The Sun anyone? I guess they only made 2 real albums but this is just not good to me. Over the years people have tried to convince me to revisit this album but it still sounds awful to me. The singing isn't good and the production sucks. Not to mention UC were better at playing HC with some melody than trying to be a commercial hard rock band. I don't like Mindfunk either. Sorry guys.

I agree. I love Screaming for Change, but I've never been able to get into Staring at the Sun.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:13 pm

I honestly can’t think of one. Generally, if I like a band, I find even their worst records tolerable (see SSD’s Break It Up). Part of me hates later Black Flag for not being as good as early Black Flag, but nothing they did was unlistenable. Maybe “Big Star’s” In Space? That record’s complete bullshit, but I’d rather not even give it the dignity of being acknowledged as an actual Big Star record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 pm

Led Zeppelin- Presence - I love pretty much all Zep but this album has two good songs and I never feel like throwing it on.

The Clash- Cut The Crap

Thin Lizzy- Renegade. I think I’ve heard all of the studio albums. A couplee aren’t great but most of it is. Except this shitty record.

The Stooges- The Weirdness. I love everything Stooges including the other reunion album and some newer songs. But this album sucks.
drew

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:37 pm

version sound wrote:I honestly can’t think of one. Generally, if I like a band, I find even their worst records tolerable (see SSD’s Break It Up). Part of me hates later Black Flag for not being as good as early Black Flag, but nothing they did was unlistenable. Maybe “Big Star’s” In Space? That record’s complete bullshit, but I’d rather not even give it the dignity of being acknowledged as an actual Big Star record.

I dunno, I find that later SSD stuff pretty awful and a tough slog. Note to hardcore bands: don't try to be AC/DC or Aerosmith. You're just not good at that stuff.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:35 am

version sound wrote:I honestly can’t think of one. Generally, if I like a band, I find even their worst records tolerable (see SSD’s Break It Up). Part of me hates later Black Flag for not being as good as early Black Flag, but nothing they did was unlistenable. Maybe “Big Star’s” In Space? That record’s complete bullshit, but I’d rather not even give it the dignity of being acknowledged as an actual Big Star record.

It's a Chilton solo record with a great Jon Auer as Chris Bell track thrown in, so it's definitely not '70s Big Star in any way, shape, or form, but (hot take coming) I really like it and I've always thought it to be quite underrated and overlooked. Your tolerance for it likely depends heavily on your opinion of Chilton's solo work, though. I think it's by and large great, but I know some who just stick to the Big Star records and call it a day. That's your choice, of course, but you're missing a fuck ton of great music IMO from The Box Tops to his late '60s/early '70s recordings to of course his solo career from the late '70s up to, well, In Space, since that was the last album of new material that came out in his lifetime iirc.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:40 am

drew wrote:Led Zeppelin- Presence - I love pretty much all Zep but this album has two good songs and I never feel like throwing it on.

The Clash- Cut The Crap

Thin Lizzy- Renegade. I think I’ve heard all of the studio albums. A couplee aren’t great but most of it is. Except this shitty record.

The Stooges- The Weirdness. I love everything Stooges including the other reunion album and some newer songs. But this album sucks.

100% agreed on The Weirdness. That record suuucks and I say this as someone who really likes Ready to Die enough to recently purchase a vinyl copy. The Weirdness is a mess full of juvenile lyrics and what sounds like deliberately shitty music.

Zeppelin - agreed on Presernce (those 2 songs are straight fire, though), but I also think In Through the Out Door is similar in that I enjoy 3 songs on it, too '68-'75 is flawless, though, of course; one of the greatest runs evah

Never heard Renegade, so no comment there; the only Thin Lizzy album I've ever owned is Jailbreak, which I love a lot to the point where I have several copies (a '70s press and a European reissue from this century that is awesome). Where should I go from there?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:40 am

patient_ot wrote:

I dunno, I find that later SSD stuff pretty awful and a tough slog. Note to hardcore bands: don't try to be AC/DC or Aerosmith. You're just not good at that stuff.

100%
JGJR

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:50 am

patient_ot wrote:I dunno, I find that later SSD stuff pretty awful and a tough slog. Note to hardcore bands: don't try to be AC/DC or Aerosmith. You're just not good at that stuff.

In the late ‘70s, the same uncle who eventually turned me onto punk beyond the Sex Pistols would send me records that he was tired of. There was a lot of stuff like Nugent, Thin Lizzy, and Aerosmith in there. I was also a big fan of Kiss, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc at the time. So, Break It Up isn’t exactly outside of my wheelhouse. It’s a dumb ‘70s style hard rock record that is pretty enjoyable if you like stuff like early Kiss.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:56 am

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:The Stooges- The Weirdness. I love everything Stooges including the other reunion album and some newer songs. But this album sucks.

100% agreed on The Weirdness. That record suuucks and I say this as someone who really likes Ready to Die enough to recently purchase a vinyl copy. The Weirdness is a mess full of juvenile lyrics and what sounds like deliberately shitty music.

The Weirdness is complete crap, and it’s 90% Iggy’s fault. His lyrics and vocals straight up suck. The whole Stooges reunion was just some cynical bullshit to try to revive his career. I preordered the damn vinyl from the UK. I wanted to like it, but it just sucked. Ready To Die is much better, but I’ve still never given it a second listen.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:03 am

JGJR wrote:

It's a Chilton solo record with a great Jon Auer as Chris Bell track thrown in, so it's definitely not '70s Big Star in any way, shape, or form, but (hot take coming) I really like it and I've always thought it to be quite underrated and overlooked. Your tolerance for it likely depends heavily on your opinion of Chilton's solo work, though. I think it's by and large great, but I know some who just stick to the Big Star records and call it a day. That's your choice, of course, but you're missing a fuck ton of great music IMO from The Box Tops to his late '60s/early '70s recordings to of course his solo career from the late '70s up to, well, In Space, since that was the last album of new material that came out in his lifetime iirc.

I have explored pretty much the entire Chilton solo catalog, and it’s filled with a bunch of mediocre crap, with a decent song here and there. If he wanted to spend his time playing R&B covers, good for him, I hope it made him happy, but it’s generally not something I want to listen to. I’ve given In Space several listens too. Just like The Weirdness, I WANT to find something to like I it, but there’s just nothing there. Based on what I’ve read, his heart was never really in it, and he remained very bitter and cynical about (the real) Big Star until the end. I don’t think he had any interest in making another Big Star record, but he was ok with calling it Big Star because that probably came with a (marginally) bigger budget and a built in audience.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 am

version sound wrote: The whole Stooges reunion was just some cynical bullshit to try to revive his career. I preordered the damn vinyl from the UK. I wanted to like it, but it just sucked. Ready To Die is much better, but I’ve still never given it a second listen.

Of course it was (I never fault any artist for trying to make a living, though), but the 2003 reunion show I saw (first of 3 or 4x seeing that lineup and I saw the Williamson lineup once, too) is still the best thing I've ever seen, bar none.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:06 am

PS: I would rather listen to Break It Up than In Space or The Weirdness any day of the week.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:09 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote: The whole Stooges reunion was just some cynical bullshit to try to revive his career. I preordered the damn vinyl from the UK. I wanted to like it, but it just sucked. Ready To Die is much better, but I’ve still never given it a second listen.

Of course it was (I never fault any artist for trying to make a living, though), but the 2003 reunion show I saw (first of 3 or 4x seeing that lineup and I saw the Williamson lineup once, too) is still the best thing I've ever seen, bar none.

My main problem was that he treated the Ashetons like shit for decades, then when it was convenient for him (and good for his career), deigned to work with them again. He really is an egomaniac asshole.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:14 am

version sound wrote:My main problem was that he treated the Ashetons like shit for decades, then when it was convenient for him (and good for his career), deigned to work with them again. He really is an egomaniac asshole.

He's been a rock star of one kind or another for over 5 decades. I'm not trying to excuse the behavior, but just saying that it's not surprising, unfortunately.

JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:16 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Joni Mitchell 'Blue' (with the exception of the song "River") which is so good that ..in the words of Nigel Tufnel..."makes me weep instantly".

I agree that "River" is the album's best song, but not even "California" or "A Case of You?" Tough crowd.
JGJR

Postby drew » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:26 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:Led Zeppelin- Presence - I love pretty much all Zep but this album has two good songs and I never feel like throwing it on.

The Clash- Cut The Crap

Zeppelin - agreed on Presernce (those 2 songs are straight fire, though), but I also think In Through the Out Door is similar in that I enjoy 3 songs on it, too '68-'75 is flawless, though, of course; one of the greatest runs evah

Never heard Renegade, so no comment there; the only Thin Lizzy album I've ever owned is Jailbreak, which I love a lot to the point where I have several copies (a '70s press and a European reissue from this century that is awesome). Where should I go from there?

After Jailbreak I would check out:
Black Rose
Fighting
Bad Reputaion
Thunder & Lightning - John Sykes joins the band for some glorious riffage and the awesome “LIVE=LIFE” album.

Zep- In Through The Out Door is really good. Only 2 bad songs. Interesting listen due to Bonham & Page’s addictions getting the best of them so Plant & Jones pretty much put the whole album together and produced it.
drew

Postby drew » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:34 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:My main problem was that he treated the Ashetons like shit for decades, then when it was convenient for him (and good for his career), deigned to work with them again. He really is an egomaniac asshole.

He's been a rock star of one kind or another for over 5 decades. I'm not trying to excuse the behavior, but just saying that it's not surprising, unfortunately.

I’m sure I’ve told you this story but after seeing Elvis twice before and how incredible he was live……to score good seats at MSG and see this tour was painful. ‘Mats opened, crowd didn’t care so they started switching instruments……yea..not great…
drew

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:16 pm

version sound wrote:
My main problem was that he treated the Ashetons like shit for decades, then when it was convenient for him (and good for his career), deigned to work with them again. He really is an egomaniac asshole.

Famous quote: "they couldn't organize a home aquarium without me".

In some ways, he's sorta like the punk version of Ozzy. He's the big personality but can't really play an instrument yet gets all the credit. Without good backing musicians, he'd have trouble doing anything.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:19 pm

version sound wrote:
patient_ot wrote:I dunno, I find that later SSD stuff pretty awful and a tough slog. Note to hardcore bands: don't try to be AC/DC or Aerosmith. You're just not good at that stuff.

In the late ‘70s, the same uncle who eventually turned me onto punk beyond the Sex Pistols would send me records that he was tired of. There was a lot of stuff like Nugent, Thin Lizzy, and Aerosmith in there. I was also a big fan of Kiss, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc at the time. So, Break It Up isn’t exactly outside of my wheelhouse. It’s a dumb ‘70s style hard rock record that is pretty enjoyable if you like stuff like early Kiss.

I just think they weren't very good at the style. Don't get me wrong, I grew up listening to classic rock radio and enjoy plenty of 70s hard rock when I'm in the mood.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:37 pm

drew wrote:Zep- In Through The Out Door is really good. Only 2 bad songs. Interesting listen due to Bonham & Page’s addictions getting the best of them so Plant & Jones pretty much put the whole album together and produced it.

Interesting take. Most people dislike ITTOD and see Presence as the last good LZ record. I like ‘em both.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:43 pm

patient_ot wrote:I just think they weren't very good at the style. Don't get me wrong, I grew up listening to classic rock radio and enjoy plenty of 70s hard rock when I'm in the mood.

I don’t think Kiss were that good at it either, TBH. I doubt I would own a single Kiss record today if I hadn’t been obsessed with them when I was 7 or 8. Break It Up is not a great record, but it’s a fun listen every now and then.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:16 pm

version sound wrote:
drew wrote:Zep- In Through The Out Door is really good. Only 2 bad songs. Interesting listen due to Bonham & Page’s addictions getting the best of them so Plant & Jones pretty much put the whole album together and produced it.

Interesting take. Most people dislike ITTOD and see Presence as the last good LZ record. I like ‘em both.

ITTOD is my favorite Zeppelin record.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:18 pm

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:After Jailbreak I would check out:
Black Rose
Fighting
Bad Reputaion
Thunder & Lightning - John Sykes joins the band for some glorious riffage and the awesome “LIVE=LIFE” album.

Zep- In Through The Out Door is really good. Only 2 bad songs. Interesting listen due to Bonham & Page’s addictions getting the best of them so Plant & Jones pretty much put the whole album together and produced it.

Thanks for the Lizzy recommendations.

In Through the Out Door - I like the 2 hits and "In the Evening." I barely even remember what the rest of it sounds like tbh. It's not a great record IMO. I should revisit it, though. It's been a long time.
Last edited by JGJR on Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:19 pm

drew wrote:I’m sure I’ve told you this story but after seeing Elvis twice before and how incredible he was live……to score good seats at MSG and see this tour was painful. ‘Mats opened, crowd didn’t care so they started switching instruments……yea..not great…

Not sure if you have. He's still incredible live. I think that album is really underrated, honestly. What were the 2 previous times you saw him?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:22 pm

patient_ot wrote:
version sound wrote:

Famous quote: "they couldn't organize a home aquarium without me".

In some ways, he's sorta like the punk version of Ozzy. He's the big personality but can't really play an instrument yet gets all the credit. Without good backing musicians, he'd have trouble doing anything.

This is more true than even you might realize. The first time I saw him was in '97 on the ROAR tour backed by a non-descript backing band that sounded like a really mediocre bar band. He played horrible versions of great songs from both The Stooges and his early solo career. I'd never seen him before and it was abysmal. I was so disappointed.

That's one reason I initially hesitated to buy tickets when the Stooges reunited, but I'm so glad I did. It was like night and day. He played one of the worst headlining sets I'd ever seen 6 years earlier and this was the single greatest show I've ever seen, still.
JGJR

Postby drew » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:12 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:I’m sure I’ve told you this story but after seeing Elvis twice before and how incredible he was live……to score good seats at MSG and see this tour was painful. ‘Mats opened, crowd didn’t care so they started switching instruments……yea..not great…

Not sure if you have. He's still incredible live. I think that album is really underrated, honestly. What were the 2 previous times you saw him?

Beacon Theater. ‘86 & -late 80’s Then again 2000 in L.A. and he was great.
drew

Return to daghouse