Beefbrains and Van Brains

Beefbrains and Van Brains

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:47 pm

I was just listening to I Against I, and it hit me how much “Sacred Love” sounds like Beefeater circa House Burning Down. I’d be curious if there was any actual influence. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing at least one flier with HR playing with Beefeater circa 84/85. Likewise, “Return to Heaven” sounds a hell of a lot like Van Halen, down to the DLR style squeals.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Beefbrains and Van Brains

Postby pedro » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:45 pm

Fidelity Jones used to cover “House of Suffering” live.

It was the best two minutes of their set.
Hello.
pedro

Postby jaybird » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:13 am

pedro wrote:Fidelity Jones used to cover “House of Suffering” live.

I saw Fidelity Jones open for Nomeansno in 1989... it was close to Thanksgiving, and all I really remember about their set was that the singer complained about the upcoming turkey genocide between pretty much every song.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:22 am

jaybird wrote:

I saw Fidelity Jones open for Nomeansno in 1989... it was close to Thanksgiving, and all I really remember about their set was that the singer complained about the upcoming turkey genocide between pretty much every song.

I always kind of liked their dubby song on State of the Union, but have never knowingly heard another track by them.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:29 am

If you like Beefeater, their records are worth a listen. They’re aren’t a million miles away from House Burning Down.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:36 am

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I always kind of liked their dubby song on State of the Union, but have never knowingly heard another track by them.

Based on this thread, I went on Bandcamp and listened to their ep for like the first time in probably 30 years... not as completely terrible as I remember it... solid musicianship, lots of cool parts, but just as they're getting into a catchy groove, they usually abruptly shift gears into some completely different/off-kilter/goofy noodling part and kill whatever momentum the song had... the last tune is probably the most straightforwardly rock/punk tune... kinda reminds me of Personality Crisis a bit, especially the vocals...

https://fidelityjones.bandcamp.com/album/piltdown-lad
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:39 am

version sound wrote:If you like Beefeater, their records are worth a listen. They’re aren’t a million miles away from House Burning Down.

I have to admit that I've never really gotten into Beefeater, but I remember liking the Lps the last time I played them maybe 5-6 years ago if not more, but that was just a cursory listen.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:54 am

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Based on this thread, I went on Bandcamp and listened to their ep for like the first time in probably 30 years... not as completely terrible as I remember it... solid musicianship, lots of cool parts, but just as they're getting into a catchy groove, they usually abruptly shift gears into some completely different/off-kilter/goofy noodling part and kill whatever momentum the song had... the last tune is probably the most straightforwardly rock/punk tune... kinda reminds me of Personality Crisis a bit, especially the vocals...

The 12”, right? It’s a lot better than the 7” IMO. It’s not great, but it’s much better than it gets credit for. I guess Beefeater were a bit of an acquired taste for a lot of people, and FJ are even more so.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am

FlexMyHead

Postby jaybird » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:23 am

version sound wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:

The 12”, right? It’s a lot better than the 7” IMO. It’s not great, but it’s much better than it gets credit for. I guess Beefeater were a bit of an acquired taste for a lot of people, and FJ are even more so.

Yeah... lots of neat parts and riffs that would be cool to build entire songs around, but these guys were evidently from the prog-punk/ADHD school of songwriting where you try to cram in as many different parts into a single song as possible... some bands - ALL, Nomeansno - manage to do that sort of thing pretty well... lots of others don't.
jaybird

Postby captain2man » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:12 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
pedro wrote:I always kind of liked their dubby song on State of the Union, but have never knowingly heard another track by them.

"Blood Stone Burning". Just talked at length about that track last night as we covered the second side of the SOTU comp for the next EoE episode. I've never heard any other Fidelity Jones tracks. I missed the harder driving funk of Beefeater....it's much more smooth and I think the song begins to lose its way when it starts to go "dubby". Tomas is great with the English language though....some great lyrics on that one. But the song is a pretty big meal to digest - considering the other tracks on that comp.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:31 am

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:
pedro wrote:I always kind of liked their dubby song on State of the Union, but have never knowingly heard another track by them.

"Blood Stone Burning". Just talked at length about that track last night as we covered the second side of the SOTU comp for the next EoE episode. I've never heard any other Fidelity Jones tracks. I missed the harder driving funk of Beefeater....it's much more smooth and I think the song begins to lose its way when it starts to go "dubby". Tomas is great with the English language though....some great lyrics on that one. But the song is a pretty big meal to digest - considering the other tracks on that comp.

I never thought of it that way only because the Scream track (which opens the record iirc) is kinda similar. It definitely confused me a bit at 16/17 since I was already into reggae/ska and not into dub yet, but I enjoy it now.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:34 pm

jaybird wrote:

I mean, he's not wrong.

Fidelity Jones are an acquired taste but I think they're good. I like the 7" more than the 12".
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Return to daghouse