PSA: I Against I Vinyl Back in Stock at SST

PSA: I Against I Vinyl Back in Stock at SST

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:00 pm

I just bought a copy. $15 + $6 shipping.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: PSA: I Against I Vinyl Back in Stock at SST

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:26 pm

How did that album NOT get taken away from SST?

Actually, I just thought about it, and I don't really care.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:56 pm

The bands who have gotten their catalogs back from SST have typically had 1) major label backing and 2) their shit together. Bad Brains have neither.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:16 am

version sound wrote:The bands who have gotten their catalogs back from SST have typically had 1) major label backing and 2) their shit together. Bad Brains have neither.

This is kinda pedantic, but not necessarily re: the major label thing. Dinosaur Jr's Homestead and SST albums were reissued by Merge in 2005 when they reunited and later on Jagjaguwar (their current label). Sure, J was on a major in the '90s, but I don't think that applies here. Meat Puppets II was reissued by Rykodisc, too (not a major even though MP were on London at the time, I think).

Anyway, I am hesitant to order this because I have heard from a lot of folks that the new plates they use aren't nearly as good as the older versions. I have no idea about this version of IAI, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:28 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:The bands who have gotten their catalogs back from SST have typically had 1) major label backing and 2) their shit together. Bad Brains have neither.

This is kinda pedantic, but not necessarily re: the major label thing. Dinosaur Jr's Homestead and SST albums were reissued by Merge in 2005 when they reunited and later on Jagjaguwar (their current label). Sure, J was on a major in the '90s, but I don't think that applies here. Meat Puppets II was reissued by Rykodisc, too (not a major even though MP were on London at the time, I think).

Anyway, I am hesitant to order this because I have heard from a lot of folks that the new plates they use aren't nearly as good as the older versions. I have no idea about this version of IAI, though.

TBF, Merge is a huge indie by indie standards. I don't know the financial status of J.Mascis. Maybe he can afford a good lawyer to scare the shit out of Ginn.

Ryko may have been indie on the surface but they operated like a big label.

IAI is a great album but I don't really need the vinyl so I will pass on this one.

SST did use old plates for awhile, but it's very tough to figure out what records are still using old mother plates. A lot of info on Discogs is incomplete with mistakes. You'd basically have to buy them and crack them open. As a general rule SST always used shitty, low grade pressing plants. No idea who they are using now since Rainbo closed.

I will admit I was kinda close to pulling the trigger on some recent St. Vitus represses through Amazon a month or two ago. I didn't buy them because I wasn't sure how often I'd actually listen to those albums. Stoner metal isn't something I'm in the mood for all the time.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:41 am

patient_ot wrote:TBF, Merge is a huge indie by indie standards. I don't know the financial status of J.Mascis. Maybe he can afford a good lawyer to scare the shit out of Ginn.

Merge - They did get a bunch of cash in 2004 when they put out Arcade Fire's Funeral, so maybe that enabled them to do it? I'm not sure, honestly; just speculating here. Of course, having In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and 69 Love Songs as part of the catalog doesn't hurt, either. But good for them. Amazing for a label that started out a 7" only label.

Ryko - I know they issued new stuff, too, (Morphine, who I LOVE, probably being the most prominent example), but how do you mean? I thought they were primarily a reissue-oriented label who just licensed releases from artists like Costello, Bowie, etc. who are/were fortunate enough to control their own publishing/back catalogs.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:05 pm

JGJR wrote:
Ryko - I know they issued new stuff, too, (Morphine, who I LOVE, probably being the most prominent example), but how do you mean? I thought they were primarily a reissue-oriented label who just licensed releases from artists like Costello, Bowie, etc. who are/were fortunate enough to control their own publishing/back catalogs.

Ryko started off as a reissue label I guess. But they were working with high profile artists and had major distribution so they had to have some financial clout. And if the Meat Puppets had money from a deal with London in Europe, then that probably explains it. I love Morphine also.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:49 pm

Who knows with SST, but at $15, I’m willing to risk it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:10 pm

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:TBF, Merge is a huge indie by indie standards. I don't know the financial status of J.Mascis. Maybe he can afford a good lawyer to scare the shit out of Ginn.

Merge - They did get a bunch of cash in 2004 when they put out Arcade Fire's Funeral, so maybe that enabled them to do it? I'm not sure, honestly; just speculating here. Of course, having In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and 69 Love Songs as part of the catalog doesn't hurt, either. But good for them. Amazing for a label that started out a 7" only label.

SUGAR were on Ryko and reissued on Merge.....everything comes around......
drew

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:50 pm

version sound wrote:Who knows with SST, but at $15, I’m willing to risk it.

SST "reissues" piss me off to no end. They cheap out by not having the inserts in them. Lemme know if somehow this new press has it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 pm

The Paganicons repress from a few years ago came with an insert, so who knows?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:16 am

FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Got my I Against I today (Ginn might be a crook, but damn, he quick), and it doesn’t look like this is an actual repress. If the run-outs can be trusted, the vinyl was pressed at Rainbo.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:47 pm

Insert?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:14 pm

gregpolard wrote:Insert?

Nope.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:36 am

version sound wrote:Got my I Against I today (Ginn might be a crook, but damn, he quick), and it doesn’t look like this is an actual repress. If the run-outs can be trusted, the vinyl was pressed at Rainbo.

Hmm. It's possible that was old stock pulled from storage or something, or that the Rainbo mother plates were used at a new plant. Rainbo may have closed but there are still a LOT of their records out there as sealed stock at stores and distros. They were a huge plant and pressed truckloads of records.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 pm

As far as the concern about worn out stampers, I’d say that’s not the case here. This pressing exhibits none of the signs of a worn stamper. Also, despite the fact that it came from Rainbo (maybe?), the vinyl is flat, quiet, and centered. I am starting to think that my new (to me) amp is biased against Bad Brains, though, as it sounded a little bright. Judging by the “Masterdisk” stamp in the dead wax, this is the original Bob Ludwig master from the 80s, which I would expect to sound a little smoother. Maybe I’m experiencing the anti-punk bias lewdd talked about, or maybe I was just used to an amp that rolled off the highs a lot more.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:03 pm

I find punk vinyl low in the upper mid range on vinyl in most instances on my system. The Schiit Loki solves that but I do get more noise in between tracks.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:52 am

version sound wrote:As far as the concern about worn out stampers, I’d say that’s not the case here. This pressing exhibits none of the signs of a worn stamper. Also, despite the fact that it came from Rainbo (maybe?), the vinyl is flat, quiet, and centered. I am starting to think that my new (to me) amp is biased against Bad Brains, though, as it sounded a little bright. Judging by the “Masterdisk” stamp in the dead wax, this is the original Bob Ludwig master from the 80s, which I would expect to sound a little smoother. Maybe I’m experiencing the anti-punk bias lewdd talked about, or maybe I was just used to an amp that rolled off the highs a lot more.

That sounds promising. I actually didn't know that Masterdisk worked on this album. During the 80s they were certainly one of the top U.S. mastering houses. I don't know who mastered the CD version but it is not the stereotypical "bad SST CD" that people often complain about. I'll have to play this album again soon.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse