Vintage Vinyl (NJ) closing after 42 years.

Re: Vintage Vinyl (NJ) closing after 42 years.

Postby scannest » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:05 am

Wow. I've been going there since '87. Pretty sure Aquaman turned me on to the place. I still go 3-4 times a year. Sad news and shocking as every time I go there is always a decent number of shoppers. I would have thought they'd sell it to one of their staffers.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:55 am

Damn, I had that on my hit list and never made it there.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:03 pm

lewdd wrote:Damn, I had that on my hit list and never made it there.

You still have a little over a month (it closes on 7/31). I'm pretty bummed about this because I've been going there since 1992. I went there a lot in the '90s when I lived in central NJ during high school and college, but since then I get there maybe once every year or two. It'll be missed.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:48 pm

Always sad to hear about record shops closing. Don't know the details here and never been to the shop.
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:57 pm

Though expensive, I bought a ton of my art/noise/experimental imports there. Wax and CD.

Controlled Bleeding
Nurse with Wound
Current 93
Clock DVA
Psychic TV

the list is waaaay too long.

:cry:
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:00 pm

lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:01 pm

Are you THAT selfish with your fake email addresses? :roll:

What next??? Promising people BBQ and not delivering???
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:12 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Though expensive, I bought a ton of my art/noise/experimental imports there. Wax and CD.

Controlled Bleeding
Nurse with Wound
Current 93
Clock DVA
Psychic TV

the list is waaaay too long.

:cry:

I think the guy who worked there and was into all that stuff, Gary Numan, etc. in the '90s is still there as of a few years ago. Casey? I'm not sure of his name. I know George was as of the last time I was there. What a nice human.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:21 am

I made a (most likely) final trip yesterday. They were already picked over pretty well. I can't imagine much being left by the end of July.
I scored a bunch of records I wouldn't buy at full price, but at 30% off... and they're closing... what the hell.

Including this lovely double set on white vinyl (VS, take note)

https://www.discogs.com/The-Stooges-Hea ... e/10331943
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby drew » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:04 am

scannest wrote:I made a (most likely) final trip yesterday. They were already picked over pretty well. I can't imagine much being left by the end of July.
I scored a bunch of records I wouldn't buy at full price, but at 30% off... and they're closing... what the hell.

That’s so cool. I want to go but I’m terrified of the traffic on a Sunday. Almost trying to muster early and run there.....
drew

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:58 pm

There are five record stores I go to every other month or so in the Tampa area (well, not during COVID) and two in Orlando that I go to like twice a year. I really wonder how these stores can possibly stay afloat. I mostly buy used stuff since I'm weird and like mostly shitty melodic punk from 80s-90s, so even if I get like $150 worth of stuff, they had to buy that stock from so I guess their profit margin is pretty small. It truly has to be a labor of love or a labor of "oh fuck, I've invested too much time/energy/my life into this to change course now". I hope record stores can stick it out, while it's sooo much easier (and cheaper) to get records on Discogs at 2:00am in my boxers, there is something about flipping through the "new additions" crates and seeing a record you've wanted/had in the past and flipping it over to see which pressing, it's condition, if there is an insert etc.
FlexMyHead

Postby drew » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:24 pm

drew wrote:
scannest wrote:I made a (most likely) final trip yesterday. They were already picked over pretty well. I can't imagine much being left by the end of July.

That’s so cool. I want to go but I’m terrified of the traffic on a Sunday. Almost trying to muster early and run there.....

So we took the ride there and I’m glad. Getting to be slim-pickings. Lots of folks with armfuls of records making the most of that 30% off. I bought 4 records, My first RSD 21- Robert Plant from’90 four live songs including “Wearing & Tearing” with Jimmy Page joining on Gtr.

Offenders- reissue on Southern Lord
Tomahawk- new LP
Flaming Lips- The Soft Bulletin companion 2LP. My fave Lips album I’ll check out anything related to that time.
drew

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:47 am

FlexMyHead wrote:There are five record stores I go to every other month or so in the Tampa area (well, not during COVID) and two in Orlando that I go to like twice a year. I really wonder how these stores can possibly stay afloat. I mostly buy used stuff since I'm weird and like mostly shitty melodic punk from 80s-90s, so even if I get like $150 worth of stuff, they had to buy that stock from so I guess their profit margin is pretty small. It truly has to be a labor of love or a labor of "oh fuck, I've invested too much time/energy/my life into this to change course now". I hope record stores can stick it out, while it's sooo much easier (and cheaper) to get records on Discogs at 2:00am in my boxers, there is something about flipping through the "new additions" crates and seeing a record you've wanted/had in the past and flipping it over to see which pressing, it's condition, if there is an insert etc.

Most of the profit at most shops comes from used vinyl. With new vinyl a store can only make between $3-5 profit per record if they price stuff somewhat competitively. Used records are typically purchased in bulk, not anywhere near retail pricing. Overhead on a brick and mortar store is high usually, and only getting higher in many places. I wouldn't be surprised to see more shops close, sadly.

Flipping through the racks and inspecting used vinyl in person is the main reason I go to record stores still. I pretty much hate buying used records online unless it's from a handful of sellers I trust. Too much overgrading and shit packing on Discogs/Ebay.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:05 am

drew wrote: My first RSD 21- Robert Plant from’90 four live songs including “Wearing & Tearing” with Jimmy Page joining on Gtr.

Thanks for the heads up on this. The only time I've ever seen Robert Plant was on that tour in New Orleans (fall 1990) with The Black Crowes opening. Both were really good, but as far as I can remember, Page wasn't with him then as a guest at that show.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:00 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote: My first RSD 21- Robert Plant from’90 four live songs including “Wearing & Tearing” with Jimmy Page joining on Gtr.

Thanks for the heads up on this. The only time I've ever seen Robert Plant was on that tour in New Orleans (fall 1990) with The Black Crowes opening. Both were really good, but as far as I can remember, Page wasn't with him then as a guest at that show.

It’s from Knebworth, GB. Probably as far as Page was willing to travel. LOL
drew

Postby drew » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:01 pm

It seems like all the great record shoppes that do in-store shows are falling fast. Maybe they have to much space to rent?
drew

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:01 pm

drew wrote:It seems like all the great record shoppes that do in-store shows are falling fast. Maybe they have to much space to rent?

At least the ones at Rough Trade are going to continue at some of the surrounding venues like the Rainbow Room (!), for example, but I miss that Williamsburg space a lot; the best sound of any club here.
JGJR

Return to daghouse