Band where you prefer a comp or best of to regular albums

Band where you prefer a comp or best of to regular albums

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:16 pm

Let’s just get this out of the way:

NO COMPLETE DISCOGRAPHY RELEASES OR TWO LPs ON ONE CD TYPE DEALS.

I’m talking about best of, greatest hits, odds and sods, singles, or other similar types of single band compilations. One of my standard answers for this kind of question used to be Singles Going Steady, which is still a fantastic record, but I now enjoy all of the Buzzcocks first three LPs to the point that SGS is no longer a clear winner.

A comp that may in fact be my favorite release by a band currently is ABC Music by Stereolab. I truly love some of their albums, especially Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements and Mars Audiac Quintet, but this BBC sessions comp is pretty goddamn transcendent.

I’m tempted to also pick EPs 1988-1991 by My Bloody Valentine, but while I do think these EPs were their creative peak, I prefer to listen to them separately than all in one go, so I don’t think this one quite qualifies.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Band where you prefer a comp or best of to regular album

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:34 pm

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
lewdd

Postby bortlicenseplate » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:34 am

lewdd wrote:Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

This is the first thing that came to my mind
bortlicenseplate

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:45 am

Misfits - Collection 1 is a big one for me.
patient_ot

Postby Fillavoid » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:20 pm

Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths. This was my introduction to The Smiths, so I'm a little biased. With that said, I think the recordings on this album are superior to the originals. We might also add Louder Than Bombs to this list, although I personally think Hatful of Hollow is more distinct.
Fillavoid

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:27 pm

Prefab Sprout.

Their best of "The Collection" (AKA 'Two Wheels Good') has such a stellar batch of songs, it should make people notice how great Paddy McAloon is as a 'singles' songwriter.

xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:02 pm

Phil Collins - The Singles LP
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:21 pm

Fillavoid wrote:Hatful of Hollow by The Smiths. This was my introduction to The Smiths, so I'm a little biased. With that said, I think the recordings on this album are superior to the originals. We might also add Louder Than Bombs to this list, although I personally think Hatful of Hollow is more distinct.

I like pretty much everything the band recorded. I would definitely say the HUH versions are superior to what ended up on the s/t debut album. However, I wouldn't necessarily say I prefer it over all their albums. It just depends what mood I'm in. Louder has a lot of great stuff but I wouldn't rate it as highly as HUH.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:30 pm

For a long time I would have said Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower. I've come around to the debut album in a big way in the last few years though.

The La's - BBC Sessions - these versions are far better recorded and more powerful than what ended up on their album.

Sham 69 - Singles CD comp. Not really an "album" band IMHO.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:48 pm

Yeah, good call on the Sham 69 CD
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 pm

patient_ot wrote:Misfits - Collection 1 is a big one for me.

that is a GREAT compilation and contains many of their best recordings, but I don't think it's necessarily better than Static Age. I sure have listened to it a ton, though. I love it all from '77-'83, but strongly prefer the Static Age and the early EPs to WAU/EAD.

My picks:
Crowded House - Very Best of CH from '96 is so much better than any of their albums
The Bats - Thousands of Tiny Luminous Spheres from 2000 (I like their '80s and early '90s albums quite a bit, but this is my go-to; again, it's better and more consistently great than any of their albums)

I'm sure I'll think of others at some point.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:56 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Prefab Sprout.

Their best of "The Collection" (AKA 'Two Wheels Good') has such a stellar batch of songs, it should make people notice how great Paddy McAloon is as a 'singles' songwriter.

I just looked at the tracklisting. Tons of great stuff and yep, all the singles from Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good are there, but I'd still probably take the entirety of Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good as their peak. I liked that it included the non-single "Bonny" on disc 2, though. What an incredible song.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 pm

patient_ot wrote:For a long time I would have said Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower. I've come around to the debut album in a big way in the last few years though.

I absolutely love both Terminal Tower and their debut; the rest of their stuff, I've tried and enjoyed when it's playing, but it's never grabbed me tbh.

I just thought of another one. INXS. The best of from the early '00s is better than any of the albums.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:54 pm

JGJR wrote:I just looked at the tracklisting. Tons of great stuff and yep, all the singles from Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good are there, but I'd still probably take the entirety of Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good as their peak. I liked that it included the non-single "Bonny" on disc 2, though. What an incredible song.

'Bonny' is by far my favorite Prefab song. It edges out 'Goodbye Lucille #1 (Johnny, Johnny) slightly'. 'Steve McQueen' is in some critics words, "Thomas Dolby's finest moment'. He certainly MADE that album what it is. Even Paddy called him the 5th member of the band for that moment.

But there's plenty songs not on 'Steve McQueen' that are just as great. 'Don't Sing (Don't blame Mexico)', Lions in my Own Garden (Exit Someone) ...
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:00 am

JGJR wrote:

that is a GREAT compilation and contains many of their best recordings, but I don't think it's necessarily better than Static Age. I sure have listened to it a ton, though. I love it all from '77-'83, but strongly prefer the Static Age and the early EPs to WAU/EAD.

My picks:
Crowded House - Very Best of CH from '96 is so much better than any of their albums
The Bats - Thousands of Tiny Luminous Spheres from 2000 (I like their '80s and early '90s albums quite a bit, but this is my go-to; again, it's better and more consistently great than any of their albums)

I like Static Age just fine, but the singles are where it's at for me with the Misfits.

Re: Crowded House, I don't know their catalog too well. I do like their first album quite a bit but never got around to picking up anything else.

Re: the Bats, I don't know that comp, but "Compiletely Bats" is a comp of EPs before their first album that is great.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:03 am

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:For a long time I would have said Pere Ubu - Terminal Tower. I've come around to the debut album in a big way in the last few years though.

I absolutely love both Terminal Tower and their debut; the rest of their stuff, I've tried and enjoyed when it's playing, but it's never grabbed me tbh.

I just thought of another one. INXS. The best of from the early '00s is better than any of the albums.

RE: INXS, I actually like their albums. Some of them can be a little inconsistent (e.g. Shabooh, The Swing, X) but Listen Like Thieves, Kick, and Welcome to Wherever are all solid albums IMHO. I would say Welcome is probably their most underrated.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:08 am

Re: Prefab, I haven't heard that comp, but I can't imagine substituting that for Steve McQueen/TWG.

They can be a difficult band to appreciate outside of that though. I like Langley Park and Jordan, but those albums suffer a bit from overproduction. Swoon has some really good stuff, but it's also a weird album and I haven't full gotten into it.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:12 am

Here's one - The Yardbirds.

Due to the lineup changes, bad management, whatever else was going on, they never recorded an album that lived up to their potential. Roger the Engineer is pretty good, but it's missing some key non-album singles. So I would say some kind of compilation is best. "Ultimate!" on double CD and with a nice booklet is the only comp that covers all eras of the original band (not reunion). Unfortunately the mastering is a bit compressed and it's EQ'd a bit harshly at times.
patient_ot

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:10 am

patient_ot wrote:Re: Prefab, I haven't heard that comp, but I can't imagine substituting that for Steve McQueen/TWG.

They can be a difficult band to appreciate outside of that though. I like Langley Park and Jordan, but those albums suffer a bit from overproduction. Swoon has some really good stuff, but it's also a weird album and I haven't full gotten into it.

The 2 x CD comp is made up of a great deal of 'Steve McQueen'. And whoever assembled it (A&R guy?) knew that the bulk should be just that.

Agreed though, the later albums don't have enough catchy hooks. Overproduced as well. Hard albums for me to like as much as 'McQueen'. The later albums sound like Broadway show tunes or something...
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:14 am

Madonna "The Immaculate Collection"
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:04 pm

gregpolard wrote:Madonna "The Immaculate Collection"

Her best album start to finish is 'Ray of Light' though. Just sayin.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby neutral knieval » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:42 pm

kiss.
also, 'the modern dance' is an excellent album
neutral knieval

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:23 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:I just looked at the tracklisting. Tons of great stuff and yep, all the singles from Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good are there, but I'd still probably take the entirety of Steve McQueen/Two Wheels Good as their peak. I liked that it included the non-single "Bonny" on disc 2, though. What an incredible song.

'Bonny' is by far my favorite Prefab song. It edges out 'Goodbye Lucille #1 (Johnny, Johnny) slightly'. 'Steve McQueen' is in some critics words, "Thomas Dolby's finest moment'. He certainly MADE that album what it is. Even Paddy called him the 5th member of the band for that moment.

But there's plenty songs not on 'Steve McQueen' that are just as great. 'Don't Sing (Don't blame Mexico)', Lions in my Own Garden (Exit Someone) ...

Same, actually; for a long time i was "Appetite" (which is still think is one of the best pop songs ever written/recorded), but for whatever reason, "Bonny" really speaks to me. Not wrong re: Dolby's role on that record.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:46 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

My picks:

I like Static Age just fine, but the singles are where it's at for me with the Misfits.

Re: Crowded House, I don't know their catalog too well. I do like their first album quite a bit but never got around to picking up anything else.

Re: the Bats, I don't know that comp, but "Compiletely Bats" is a comp of EPs before their first album that is great.

Misfits - I'm sure you probably know this, but some of the stuff that eventually got released as Static Age in '97 was put on their early EPs/singles, etc. so for me, it's all part and parcel of the same era/style, etc. even through a few membership changes. Long story short, they were a really good hardcore band, but an incredible melodic punk band with some slight diversions like "Theme for a Jackal," "American Nightmare," the original version of "She," etc.

Crowded House - the s/t debut is the only one I still own; I like that album, too, but like I said, it's just that none of their albums are anywhere near as good as that best of (link below); I had the others on CD and couldn't really get into them beyond the stuff on the comp and a few other songs, but I should revisit them at some point; that comp, though, is perfect. It's dirt cheap, sounds good, and most importantly the flow between songs is excellent, as is the music. They picked very well. They left out a few I'd include like "Tall Trees" from Woodface, but that's hardly a complaint. Make sure you got the OG '96 one. There are more recent best of comps I haven't heard, but the tracklisting varies. Some include "Chocolate Cake" (also from Woodface), probably their worst song ever IMO, but one that was a minor MTV hit at the time (1991).

https://www.discogs.com/Crowded-House-R ... ster/81171

The Bats - I looked up the track listing of that EP (heard of it but don't have it) and only 3 songs made it onto that collection ("Made Up in Blue," Claudine" and one version of "Block of Wood," one of their very best songs). I think the rest of it is stuff from their '87-'95 albums, but I'm not 100% sure. I only have Daddy's Highway and The Law of Things, but haven't spent a ton of time with them. It looks like their Bandcamp has the comp for sale and the shipping isn't too bad at all from NZ, which is very cool.

https://thebats.bandcamp.com/album/thou ... us-spheres
Last edited by JGJR on Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:47 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Madonna "The Immaculate Collection"

Her best album start to finish is 'Ray of Light' though. Just sayin.

I prefer her 1st 3 albums to that collection (all 3 are great and the early WB pressings are incredible sounding), but you also need the "Angel/Into the Groove" 12". Essential stuff. I'm less familiar with her stuff past the '80s, but I liked the songs from Ray of Light.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:49 am

neutral knieval wrote:kiss.
also, 'the modern dance' is an excellent album

Agreed on both points. I'll take this over any of KISS' makeup-era albums.

https://www.discogs.com/Kiss-Greatest-K ... ter/154183
JGJR

Postby drew » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:51 pm

Throwing Muses- Anthology. 21 tunes picked by the band. Covers all of their records, which I’ve heard a couple of. “The Real Ramona” & “House Tornado” Both good, but I only go to this collection when I want to listen to TM
drew

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:48 pm

drew wrote:Throwing Muses- Anthology. 21 tunes picked by the band. Covers all of their records, which I’ve heard a couple of. “The Real Ramona” & “House Tornado” Both good, but I only go to this collection when I want to listen to TM

The band went through a few different phases but my favorite is the s/t debut and the Chains Changed EP. I'd argue those are essential.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:52 pm

JGJR wrote:
I'll take this over any of KISS' makeup-era albums.

I've got a copy of Destroyer on CD somewhere but couldn't tell you the last time I listened to it. Just not a band I want to put on very often.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
Misfits - I'm sure you probably know this, but some of the stuff that eventually got released as Static Age in '97 was put on their early EPs/singles, etc. so for me, it's all part and parcel of the same era/style, etc. even through a few membership changes. Long story short, they were a really good hardcore band, but an incredible melodic punk band with some slight diversions like "Theme for a Jackal," "American Nightmare," the original version of "She," etc.

Yep, my intro to the Misfits was Legacy of Brutality, which is of course a bunch of Static Age era stuff with parts re-recorded and remixed by Glenn. I got Static Age shortly after it came out on the Misfits CD box set, which I no longer have unfortunately. I still have Static Age on LP which I bought a few years ago when it was marked down on sale. Static Age doesn't have "Horror Business" on it, which is my favorite Misfits song, so Collection 1 automatically wins for me personally.

JGJR wrote:
The Bats - I looked up the track listing of that EP (heard of it but don't have it) and only 3 songs made it onto that collection ("Made Up in Blue," Claudine" and one version of "Block of Wood," one of their very best songs). I think the rest of it is stuff from their '87-'95 albums, but I'm not 100% sure. I only have Daddy's Highway and The Law of Things, but haven't spent a ton of time with them. It looks like their Bandcamp has the comp for sale and the shipping isn't too bad at all from NZ, which is very cool.

https://thebats.bandcamp.com/album/thou ... us-spheres

Compiletely is actually a compilation of the first 3 EPs by The Bats - "By Night," "And Here Is...Music For The Fireside" & "Made Up In Blue."

https://www.discogs.com/The-Bats-Compil ... ter/103897

It's 15 tracks total. I have not heard any Bats full length albums in a very long time but my favorite used to be Daddy's Highway. I think the early EPs are better though, and by far the best things I've heard from the band. Just my opinion though...
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:07 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:
I'll take this over any of KISS' makeup-era albums.

I've got a copy of Destroyer on CD somewhere but couldn't tell you the last time I listened to it. Just not a band I want to put on very often.

I don't put them on that often, either, but when I do, either that one (I have a mid '80s repress on vinyl) or the above collection usually do the trick even though I'd argue the debut, Dressed to Kill, Rock and Roll Over are arguably better albums than Destroyer or at least more KISS-like if that makes sense. Destroyer is a really good album, but kind of an oddity in their early catalog due to Ezrin's grandiose production, some of its lyrical themes, etc.
JGJR

Return to daghouse