Do You Guys Even Listen to Early HR?

Do You Guys Even Listen to Early HR?

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 pm

The live album from 1984 is on streaming services (at least Apple Music). That band kicks the living shit out of anything Bad Brains did after Rock For Light, but all I ever hear is “Bad Brains this” and “I Against I that.” Get a ducking clue.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Do You Guys Even Listen to Early HR?

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:55 pm

The version of Happy Birthday My Son on this thing absolutely destroys any other Bad Brains associated reggae track I’ve ever heard.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:38 pm

I love the HR band. I listen to them in rotation with Bad Brains all the time. The CBGB live album is freakin’ smoking’
“It’s About Love” & “Charge” are very good albums. They did a couple of really good 12”s too.

Not everything is great but enough is. The earlier stuff is more like BB. After that it’s pretty strictly reggae...
drew

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 am

^^^ What Drew said

I own a few on vinyl. I have an Olive Tree version of "It's About Luv" as well as the 12" Olive Tree Single.
Then later SST pressings of Human Rights, Singing In the Heart and Charge.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:50 am

From memory, at the time I thought the "faster" songs were good and the ragtime stuff lame. I just quickly re-listened to a few seconds of each song on "It's About Luv" on YouTube and the faster songs sounded kinda weak and the ragtime stuff sounded much better. I know I have a test pressing of something on SST, I'll give that a full-on listen as we all know test pressings sound better.
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:20 am

version sound wrote:The live album from 1984 is on streaming services (at least Apple Music). That band kicks the living shit out of anything Bad Brains did after Rock For Light, but all I ever hear is “Bad Brains this” and “I Against I that.” Get a ducking clue.

To be completely fair, I've never heard any HR outside Bad Brains, so for all I know, you might be right (I may be crazy), but this is just trolling to me. Have you ever heard the 2 live albums from the I Against I tour? The Youth is Getting Restless just absolutely smokes from start to finish.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:22 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:The live album from 1984 is on streaming services (at least Apple Music). That band kicks the living shit out of anything Bad Brains did after Rock For Light, but all I ever hear is “Bad Brains this” and “I Against I that.” Get a ducking clue.

To be completely fair, I've never heard any HR outside Bad Brains, so for all I know, you might be right (I may be crazy), but this is just trolling to me. Have you ever heard the 2 live albums from the I Against I tour? The Youth is Getting Restless just absolutely smokes from start to finish.

Two hot take kings facing off against one another : this is Pay Per View worthy. (insert popcorn gif)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:24 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Two hot take kings facing off against one another : this is Pay Per View worthy. (insert popcorn gif)

Legit lol
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:25 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Legit lol

Throw my man Javier into the mix and I'd pay for VIP seats.
gregpolard

Return to daghouse