The Crack - Oi!, Pub Rock, ?

The Crack - Oi!, Pub Rock, ?

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:59 pm

I know Sam knows about this band as he has mentioned it here. Anyone else aware of this band? They get classified in that 80s Oi! movement, but I think they are close to pub rock too. Think of them as a slightly faster Eddie and the Hot Rods or Only Ones. I think some of you may like them.

Sam, how would you classify their sound?

Their song "My World" just popped up on my playlist.

lewdd

Re: The Crack - Oi!, Pub Rock, ?

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:15 pm

I like this band and have both of their CD reissues on Captain Oi! from a few years back. The early singles are a bit less thuggish sounding than the main album material. It's all good stuff though. Obviously they were heavily inspired by the Ruts due to the name...
patient_ot

Postby SamDBL » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:56 pm

They were soooo fucking good. I remember back in the in day my skinhead/oi obsessed friends would listen to stuff like the Oppressed, Business and 4skins relentlessly. I thought it was all solid stuff. Some of those endless Oi comps got kind of repetitive (how many fucking oi chartbusters comps were there). But a couple of bands that were kind of making the rounds in those circles I thought were world class. The Crack being a real stand out. Very much a continuation of slf in a lot of ways. Just stellar. I don't know exactly what I'd classify them as. Probably 'street rock' in the same vein of bands like Roger miret and the disasters or the old firm casuals. Basic rock with sing along choruses and imagery of work boots and drink at the pub, or whatever. But I thought the crack were way better than any of that stuff. I guess they could classify as oi in a lot of ways. But that music seemed to have lyrics that really revolved around the subculture... Cloths, haircuts, etc. I don't think the cracks lyrics were usually that narrow. I guess they were whatever the business were. Another band along these lines were the Guitar Gangsters. Embraced by the same crowd, but not necessarily members of the same genre.
SamDBL

Postby SamDBL » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:31 pm

Never heard this stuff before. Holy shit balls. Total pub rock awesomeness.

SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:27 pm

gentlemen. Any chance you can stop drinking for a few minutes. To THINK???
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:gentlemen. Any chance you can stop drinking for a few minutes. To THINK???

Please explain in more detail because i am not sure what you mean
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:41 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:gentlemen. Any chance you can stop drinking for a few minutes.

SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:56 am

Vocals are a dead ringer for Noddy Holder... good shit, Maynard.
jaybird

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:54 am

jaybird wrote:Vocals are a dead ringer for Noddy Holder... good shit, Maynard.

Yes. And also belt mode Robin Zander.

SamDBL

Return to daghouse