Why Boomers Hate Pop Music

Why Boomers Hate Pop Music

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:41 am

This is recommended watching regardless of your feelings on the subject. I can relate to a lot of it, admittedly. This is from a producer/musician's POV.

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: Why Boomers Hate Pop Music

Postby jaybird » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:35 pm

TL;DW synopsis: "Because it's mostly boring, repetitive, lowest-common-denominator, programmed/marketing algorithm bullshit".

He's a little less sarcastic about it, but that's the gist of it.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:46 pm

jaybird wrote:TL;DW synopsis: "Because it's mostly boring, repetitive, lowest-common-denominator, programmed/marketing algorithm bullshit".

I don't know who else needs to read this (actually, I can think of one other person on here, but it's a general thing), but a lesson I learned a long time ago that is honestly difficult for me to apply as well sometimes is that often times it's HOW you talk about something/express something that matters most, not just the argument/point of view itself. In other words, if you open with sarcasm and negativity, that's what you'll likely get in return.

If, however, you come at it with open ears and try to figure out why this stuff has no appeal to you or your demographic or whatever and you just analyze the music, it's way different from Twisted Sister saying disco or rap sucks or whatever and then burning Barry White records (watch the documentary on them if you don't know WTF I'm talking about). At times, you guys were teetering on that edge. That's all I'm saying.

BTW, I don't disagree with your analysis one bit, but I'd say it's true across generations. Name an era since the early '70s when most of what's on the top of the charts is great.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:01 pm

I remember hating the music my parents liked because it seemed so old and from so many years ago. I've become my parents and listen mostly to music that I grew up with. I try to stay current in some genres, but pop music is not one of them.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:21 pm

It is an objective fact that popular music has been getting progressively simpler over the decades in terms of melody, chords, modes, key changes, time signatures, etc.
Whether or not this is a good thing or a bad thing is completely subjective.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:22 pm

I prefer noise.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:24 pm

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:TL;DW synopsis: "Because it's mostly boring, repetitive, lowest-common-denominator, programmed/marketing algorithm bullshit".

I don't know who else needs to read this (actually, I can think of one other person on here, but it's a general thing), but a lesson I learned a long time ago that is honestly difficult for me to apply as well sometimes is that often times it's HOW you talk about something/express something that matters most, not just the argument/point of view itself. In other words, if you open with sarcasm and negativity, that's what you'll likely get in return.

If, however, you come at it with open ears and try to figure out why this stuff has no appeal to you or your demographic or whatever and you just analyze the music, it's way different from Twisted Sister saying disco or rap sucks or whatever and then burning Barry White records (watch the documentary on them if you don't know WTF I'm talking about). At times, you guys were teetering on that edge. That's all I'm saying.

BTW, I don't disagree with your analysis one bit, but I'd say it's true across generations. Name an era since the early '70s when most of what's on the top of the charts is great.

Well said.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:39 pm

JGJR wrote: Name an era since the early '70s when most of what's on the top of the charts is great.

scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 pm

Touche!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:49 pm

JGJR wrote:

Honestly, the state of current pop music is near the bottom of the list of things I think are worth caring about one way or the other. I do think it mostly sucks, for the reasons I listed above, but like you said, it's been that way near as long as I can remember, and it hasn't interfered with my enjoyment of the stuff I do care about one bit, so why get angry or lose even a minute of sleep over it?
jaybird

Postby patient_ot » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:50 pm

Most people form their musical tastes when they are teenagers or whatever. A 70 year old man is probably not going to like contemporary top 40 pop music. They may like the pop music that was out when they were 16 years old or whatever. I don't like most contemporary top 40 stuff either.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:51 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Well said.

Thanks.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:55 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote: Name an era since the early '70s when most of what's on the top of the charts is great.

Good point, but I've always viewed that year as an exception and not a rule. Admittedly, even Sonic Youth was paying close attention to the charts that year. I have a fondness for that stuff because, well, I was 9 in 1984 and so I remember all that stuff from the radio, etc. before I even began to form my own tastes. I wonder how fond of it I'd be if it had come out when I was older. I exclude Prince (whose music is timeless), the 1st 3 Madonna Lps (some of the best dance pop ever made), etc. from that btw.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:56 pm

jaybird wrote:Honestly, the state of current pop music is near the bottom of the list of things I think are worth caring about one way or the other. I do think it mostly sucks, for the reasons I listed above, but like you said, it's been that way near as long as I can remember, and it hasn't interfered with my enjoyment of the stuff I do care about one bit, so why get angry or lose even a minute of sleep over it?

Well, we certainly agree there.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:04 pm

FTR, I do think this is one of the greatest pop songs ever made:

Dunno how many programmed beats and sound samples are in there, but i love it no matter what.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:46 pm

jaybird wrote:FTR, I do think this is one of the greatest pop songs ever made:

Dunno how many programmed beats and sound samples are in there, but i love it no matter what.

That whole album is straight fire. Red is even better.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:53 pm

To answer the question implied by the thread title, because they are old and stopped liking new things a couple of decades ago. Also, because current pop music is not made for them, and they feel alienated by it. The same goes for a lot of people who post here. They stopped giving anything out of their comfort zone a chance a decade or two ago. The whole premise that it’s all terrible is just complete fucking nonsense. Old men yelling at clouds. I get exposed to a lot more current pop music than I would under normal circumstances because I have an eleven year old, and you know what? A lot of it is actually quite good, regardless of whether it’s my particular cup of tea. But maybe my daughter just has excellent taste (like her father).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:44 pm

Pop music is a very broad term. And it's gone through tons of phases. What was pop music when boomers were the age in which they were being marketed music to... Sinatra and Pat Boone? If you're telling me that someone that enjoyed music as played by Mel Torme or Bo Diddley that doesn't think Katy Perry is amazing *has* to be because they are old and out of touch... I don't believe that. These things get marketed with very specific audiences in mind... young girls, teens going through their first break ups, etc... of course that's not going to strike a chord with a 60 year old. But again, as has been said, there are objective differences between pop music of every era. I believe objective statements can be made about *any* genre. If I contend that say, rap, is now more rudimentary than it's ever been due to technological advances (same could be said about mainstream pop), then it should be taken at face value and dealt with appropriately. Not 'yeah, you're just saying that because you're old'. Weak sauce. The pop music of 1946 was light years ahead of pop music today, by and large. In which people were required to play instruments to a mind blowing degree, and of course actually sing on pitch (before the advent of autotune). A pop star like Ariana Grande wouldn't know what the fuck to do if you stood her in front of an orchestra going over jazz chord changes. And without a semi truck's worth of processing power for her vocals.
SamDBL

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:53 pm

Interesting take on the vocals, Sam. One vocalist that I found to be satisfactory on recordings and utterly horrible on live performances I have seen on TV is Billy Corgan. I have never seen him live and in person so maybe he is better than what I saw on TV.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:11 pm

I saw Smashing Pumpkins twice in their prime, shortly before Siamese Dream blew up. They were excellent both times. Then again, I’ve never had a problem with Billy’s voice. It sounded about the same to me live as it does on record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:14 pm

Sho Bee Doo Bee Doo Wop....

Talk about..........
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:25 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Sho Bee Doo Bee Doo Wop....

Talk about..........

I still have that 7" by M
lewdd

Postby drew » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:19 am

Cool topic, JGJR.

Pop music is for teenagers. That’s not an insult. Teens and people sitting, waiting in Doctors offices.
I think it’s also become more of its own genre “POP”
Popular music used to be anything ......popular.
Rolling Stones had a #1 hit with “Honky Tonk Woman”
Don Maclean had a huge #1 with “American Pie”

To today’s audience that is as ancient as Glenn Miller & Benny Goodman.

I’m diverse enough, I think. One day can be 7 Seconds, Minor Threat & Black Flag and another day can Miles Davis, Sonic Youth & Nick Cave.
I have no room for Taylor Swift or Katy perry.
drew

Postby jaybird » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:11 am

drew wrote:Cool topic, JGJR.

Pop music is for teenagers. That’s not an insult. Teens and people sitting, waiting in Doctors offices.
I think it’s also become more of its own genre “POP”
Popular music used to be anything ......popular.
Rolling Stones had a #1 hit with “Honky Tonk Woman”
Don Maclean had a huge #1 with “American Pie”

To today’s audience that is as ancient as Glenn Miller & Benny Goodman.

I’m diverse enough, I think. One day can be 7 Seconds, Minor Threat & Black Flag and another day can Miles Davis, Sonic Youth & Nick Cave.

This is another weird aspect of the times we're living in... last summer Fleetwood Mac was back on the "pop" charts with like a 40 year old song because some dude live-streamed himself listening to it while skateboarding... and it wasn't all aging boomers purchasing millions of downloads of that tune.... see also the revival of Toto's "Africa" a few years back from some meme-inspired context, etc. So it sort of further clouds the definition or understanding of what "pop" music is now, and what sort of audience(s) we're talking about.

P.S.: "Honky Tonk Women" was the #1 song the day I was born.

True Facts.

https://www.birthdayjams.com/us/1969/08/29/
jaybird

Postby scannest » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:11 am

jaybird wrote:P.S.: "Honky Tonk Women" was the #1 song the day I was born.

True Facts.

Damn, I got "Hello, I Love You". That sucks.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 am

Talk about...
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:51 am

Temptations "I Can't Get Next to You"
lewdd

Postby DelGriffith » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am

I plan on taking my kids to see BTS when they tour the States again..
DelGriffith

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:24 pm

DelGriffith wrote:I plan on taking my kids to see BTS when they tour the States again..

Hoping they cover "The Messaround"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:05 pm

scannest wrote:
jaybird wrote:P.S.: "Honky Tonk Women" was the #1 song the day I was born.

True Facts.

Damn, I got "Hello, I Love You". That sucks.

Janis -“Me & Bobby Magee” Nice.
UK #1- T.Rex- “Hot Love” Also very nice
R&B- Temptations- “Just my Imagination” And also very nice
Country- Charly Pride- “I’d rather Love you” Again, Nice.
drew

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:12 pm

That damn Charley Pride. I've been trying to find his Mississippi Country Music Trail marker in Sledge, MS for years. I'm guessing someone ran it over on the side of the road because it is not where it is supposed to be.

And based on that Temptations song you just turned 50 recently...congratulations!
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:23 pm

talk about....
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:41 pm

version sound wrote:I saw Smashing Pumpkins twice in their prime, shortly before Siamese Dream blew up. They were excellent both times. Then again, I’ve never had a problem with Billy’s voice. It sounded about the same to me live as it does on record.

It's taken me years to get past his voice. I was fine with it on Gish. I think that album is amazing and worked really well given how raw it is compared to what came after and so his voice was buried in the mix. The next 2 albums have some great songs for sure, but I've never really been a huge fan in general. I think I'd like them a lot more if they had a different singer tbh. Incredible guitar player, though.

The other week, I heard "Lazy Eye" by Silversun Pickups, whose singer is very Corgan-esque, for the first time since like 2007 or something. I actually liked it, so I may be more tolerant of it now. I should give those later SP albums a chance one of these days. Siamese Dream had great singles and a few I wasn't into.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:43 pm

drew wrote:Cool topic, JGJR.

Basically, this is me except I really like "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry (can take or leave the rest) and some of Taylor's stuff, too, like I said before. Oh and thanks.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:28 pm

talk about....
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:35 am

xxxxxxx
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:05 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:I saw Smashing Pumpkins twice in their prime, shortly before Siamese Dream blew up. They were excellent both times. Then again, I’ve never had a problem with Billy’s voice. It sounded about the same to me live as it does on record.

It's taken me years to get past his voice. I was fine with it on Gish. I think that album is amazing and worked really well given how raw it is compared to what came after and so his voice was buried in the mix. The next 2 albums have some great songs for sure, but I've never really been a huge fan in general. I think I'd like them a lot more if they had a different singer tbh. Incredible guitar player, though.

His voice has always been the weakest part of the band. He's not a great singer, period. Now, I can tolerate his voice on the early stuff, but even by the third album, it can start to grate on certain songs. That's not to say there aren't some decent songs on those third and fourth albums...
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:30 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:

His voice has always been the weakest part of the band. He's not a great singer, period. Now, I can tolerate his voice on the early stuff, but even by the third album, it can start to grate on certain songs. That's not to say there aren't some decent songs on those third and fourth albums...

Yes. I wish he'd kept his ego in check to hire a different singer on some of those tracks or to at least turn down the cheese on that whine by keeping it low in the mix.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:31 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Pop music.

I never dreamed that a country rap rocker getting butt f*cked by Satan would be considered pop music.

But a good idea is a good idea.

American pop has now taken the lead over Bowie's 'Boys Keep Swinging' wishy washy fef.
F;n limeys. Our Beatles are better than their Rolling Stones 7 out of 7 days a week.

I don't know what Bowie or that song (or the Beatles and Stones) have to do with the rest of what you wrote here, but big ups for Lil Nas X and Cardi because they can still piss off so many people (and for other reasons) even though I typically don't voluntarily listen to their records.
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:54 pm

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Pop music.

I never dreamed that a country rap rocker getting butt f*cked by Satan would be considered pop music.

But a good idea is a good idea.

American pop has now taken the lead over Bowie's 'Boys Keep Swinging' wishy washy fef.
F;n limeys. Our Beatles are better than their Rolling Stones 7 out of 7 days a week.

I don't know what Bowie or that song (or the Beatles and Stones) have to do with the rest of what you wrote here, but big ups for Lil Nas X and Cardi because they can still piss off so many people (and for other reasons) even though I typically don't voluntarily listen to their records.

How is that an accomplishment? The only thing I'll say is that it's hilarious that the kind of shit evangelical psychos used to shit their pants over in the 80's has actually come to pass. 'And the homosexuals on the damn tv having sex with satan and women bragging about their lady parts.. that's what your kids are seeing on the mtv!'. Completely off base in 1980. Totally real in 2021. I'm still waiting for all of these music critic types to start citing GG Allin and the Mentors as the pioneers they were in this field. They still haven't come close to topping him, btw.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:10 pm

JGJR wrote:I don't know what Bowie or that song (or the Beatles and Stones) have to do with the rest of what you wrote here, but big ups for Lil Nas X and Cardi because they can still piss off so many people (and for other reasons) even though I typically don't voluntarily listen to their records.

I was being sarcastic and the Beatles/Stones lines was a Simpsons quote
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:17 am

SamDBL wrote:
How is that an accomplishment? The only thing I'll say is that it's hilarious that the kind of shit evangelical psychos used to shit their pants over in the 80's has actually come to pass. 'And the homosexuals on the damn tv having sex with satan and women bragging about their lady parts.. that's what your kids are seeing on the mtv!'. Completely off base in 1980. Totally real in 2021. I'm still waiting for all of these music critic types to start citing GG Allin and the Mentors as the pioneers they were in this field. They still haven't come close to topping him, btw.

I'm not saying they're great artists or anything (and if they're not, so what in the words of Anti-Nowhere League), but getting anyone to pay attention to anything for longer than a few seconds is an accomplishment in this media landscape. If something is that bothersome to some folks, it clearly strikes some sort of nerve even though it's not hurting anyone and it's just art, etc.

But yes, you are kinda proving my point. I lived right next to Jimmy Swaggart's world headquarters in the '80s and very early '90s, btw. That was an experience.
JGJR

Return to daghouse