Mare of Easttown (possible SPOILERS)

Mare of Easttown (possible SPOILERS)

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:06 pm

Who else watched?
Last edited by gregpolard on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Mare of Easttown

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:10 pm

gregpolard wrote:Who else watched?

Two episodes in right now. It's pretty good so far. Won't be checking this thread again until we are done with the season.
the mean

Re: Mare of Easttown

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:13 pm

the mean wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Who else watched?

Two episodes in right now. It's pretty good so far. Won't be checking this thread again until we are done with the season.

I binged it all in like 2 days because some time opened in the schedule. Glad I did! I'll add a "spoiler" warning to the post, too!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Mare of Easttown (possible SPOILERS)

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:09 pm

I thought their decision to have Mare eschew whiz for the more deliberately obscure provolone option to be an especially bold aesthetic choice.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:48 pm

scannest wrote:I thought their decision to have Mare eschew whiz for the more deliberately obscure provolone option to be an especially bold aesthetic choice.

:lol:

Was hoping for a scene with some wooder ice.
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:17 pm

World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:52 pm

It was good. I knew a twist was coming. But I thought it was that the freckle-faced wife was going to be the culprit.
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:25 pm

SamDBL wrote:It was good. I knew a twist was coming. But I thought it was that the freckle-faced wife was going to be the culprit.

Same here.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:54 am

scannest wrote:I thought their decision to have Mare eschew whiz for the more deliberately obscure provolone option to be an especially bold aesthetic choice.

I 100% approve of this. It makes me want to see it even more tbh. Whiz is disgusting.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:54 am

gregpolard wrote:

:lol:

Was hoping for a scene with some wooder ice.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:57 am

JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 am

JGJR wrote:

I 100% approve of this. It makes me want to see it even more tbh. Whiz is disgusting.

I may no longer eat meat but Whiz for life. You cray
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:07 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I may no longer eat meat but Whiz for life. You cray

It's one of those things that those of you from Philly enjoy that I just can't get with. See also: scrapple (regular or vegan variety).
JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 pm

JGJR wrote:

I was making a joke. I haven't seen the show and have no idea what their stance vis a vis cheese options on your steak sandwich might be.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:55 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I was making a joke. I haven't seen the show and have no idea what their stance vis a vis cheese options on your steak sandwich might be.

Read the room, scanny.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:02 pm

gregpolard wrote:Read the room, scanny.

Better safe than sorry, that's my motto!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:05 pm

Possible spoiler but apart from a mention on where the best cheesesteak place is in Delco (it was one I'd never heard of...I want to say Cocos? is that a real place?) there is no talk of whiz vs. no whiz.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Apparently Cocco's Pizza the place in question.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:44 pm

Interesting. so it's real. I'll have to ask around if that's really the best place

My place is the Triangle in South Philly as they make an incredible vegan version.

anyway, the show is awesome and I was super happy with how it played out.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:19 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I've only (up to this point) seen the SNL parody, so you got me. I was just hoping it would be a real (albeit minor) plot point. That would be amazing.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:20 pm

gregpolard wrote:Interesting. so it's real. I'll have to ask around if that's really the best place

My place is the Triangle in South Philly as they make an incredible vegan version.

Seconded; everything I've had there is excellent; not just saying that because your ex-bandmate runs the place. :lol:

I always end up singing this in my head when I think about it (not a complaint).

JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 am

I actually felt terrible for the victim. Her story was very short, but they really played it to the hilt, emotionally. I thought the teenage love story was totally unnecessary. But I feel that way about every young person side story that every single one of these shows are plagued with. I guess it’s to appeal to a demographic, or something. But every time a story about what the kids are doing in their free time comes up, I totally check out.
I also think a bit too much is being made of the fact that winslett chose to look the part by not looking totally glamorous. As if she is some sort of pioneer. I watch these shows, constantly. Particularly the British ones. And the ragged out, world weary female lead detective is pretty much a standard trope at this point. Also, I’m really getting sick of the ‘You’re a damn good cop. Maybe the best on the force. But you don’t play by the rules and you’ve gone too far. Hand over your badge and gun’ thing. Does that scene *really* have to take place in every fucking police drama since 1970? Also the thing where the naive rookie gets paired with the weathered senior officer who treats them like shit until they prove themselves worthy.
But those are my only critiques. I liked it quite a lot. That town seems like a god damn shit hole, though.
Last edited by SamDBL on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamDBL

Postby garth » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 pm

SamDBL wrote:I. That town seems like a god damn shit hole, though.

Crossover thread:
http://daghouse.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5280

Just finished it tonight and really liked it. I do agree with Sam’s points on some of the trobes.
garth

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:25 pm

SamDBL wrote:Also, I’m really getting sick of the ‘You’re a damn good cop. Maybe the best on the force. But you don’t play by the rules and you’ve gone too far. Hand over your badge and gun’ thing. Does that scene *really* have to take place in every fucking police drama since 1970? Also the thing where the naive rookie gets paired with the weathered senior officer who treats them like shit until they prove themselves worthy.
But those are my only critiques. I liked it quite a lot. That town seems like a god damn shit hole, though.

I think a lot of those tropes started with Dragnet and then continued to films like Training Day (how is that 20 years old? Shit) and the more recent Law & Order/SVU franchises. I don't disagree, regardless.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:32 pm

The ending reminded me too much of a British show that became an American show and had a similar twist.
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:34 am

the mean wrote:The ending reminded me too much of a British show that became an American show and had a similar twist.

What show?
Happy Valley?
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:32 am

gregpolard wrote:
the mean wrote:The ending reminded me too much of a British show that became an American show and had a similar twist.

What show?
Happy Valley?

I guess I can assume that anyone who doesn't want spoilers isn't reading this thread, but this will spoil the ending if you wanted to watch one of these:

Broadchurch/Gracepoint
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:51 am

the mean wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

What show?
Happy Valley?

I guess I can assume that anyone who doesn't want spoilers isn't reading this thread, but this will spoil the ending if you wanted to watch one of these:

Broadchurch/Gracepoint

Broadchurch was great. Happy Valley, too. The latter is what I was thinking of when I said that Kate was not really breaking any new ground simply by being an aging female lead in a cop show. But that’s just one example. The co star of Broadchurch would be another. Anyway, for whatever reason, I can watch those British crime dramas all day. I can’t make it through 5 minutes of the American equivalents, like CSI.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:08 am

Happy Valley was excellent!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 am

SamDBL wrote:I actually felt terrible for the victim. Her story was very short, but they really played it to the hilt, emotionally. I thought the teenage love story was totally unnecessary. But I feel that way about every young person side story that every single one of these shows are plagued with. I guess it’s to appeal to a demographic, or something. But every time a story about what the kids are doing in their free time comes up, I totally check out.
I also think a bit too much is being made of the fact that winslett chose to look the part by not looking totally glamorous. As if she is some sort of pioneer. I watch these shows, constantly. Particularly the British ones. And the ragged out, world weary female lead detective is pretty much a standard trope at this point. Also, I’m really getting sick of the ‘You’re a damn good cop. Maybe the best on the force. But you don’t play by the rules and you’ve gone too far. Hand over your badge and gun’ thing. Does that scene *really* have to take place in every fucking police drama since 1970? Also the thing where the naive rookie gets paired with the weathered senior officer who treats them like shit until they prove themselves worthy.

5 episodes in; I really like Siobhan and don't mind her storyline, but I think you're right here. She belongs on a different show, maybe a spin-off. Her story just doesn't have anything to do with the rest of what's going on there. However, I say that from a purely personal standpoint, I give this show HUGE bonus points for having her band play at Haverford (in real life they'd probably do a session at WKDU, which is Drexel's radio station, but I digress), using an obscure punk band from Philly that I was supposed to see last year before the pandemic shut things down (Mannequin Pussy) as part of the soundtrack, referencing a show her band had played earlier at Bryn Mawr College (where I used to work), etc. That is real. They've had indie/punk shows there since at least the early '90s.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:08 am

I went to a few shows at Swarthmore when I lived in Philly.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:11 am

the mean wrote:I went to a few shows at Swarthmore when I lived in Philly.

I've only seen one show there, The Mountain Goats in 2005 with an excellently named band opening called The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers. How do I remember this stuff? I also emember that was raining very heavily that night.

A few folks I know went to see Dum Dum Girls (one of my favorites of this century) there really early on like 2009 or 2010, though, and I have a recording of it.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:24 am

a couple weeks ago I was in Siren and there was a record playing and I was like "this sounds so good, but I'm embarrassed to ask who it is" because I thought somehow I should've known it.

It was Mannequin Pussy. I should probably check out more of them. That is all.
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:46 pm

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:I actually felt terrible for the victim. Her story was very short, but they really played it to the hilt, emotionally. I thought the teenage love story was totally unnecessary. But I feel that way about every young person side story that every single one of these shows are plagued with. I guess it’s to appeal to a demographic, or something. But every time a story about what the kids are doing in their free time comes up, I totally check out.

5 episodes in; I really like Siobhan and don't mind her storyline, but I think you're right here. She belongs on a different show, maybe a spin-off. Her story just doesn't have anything to do with the rest of what's going on there. However, I say that from a purely personal standpoint, I give this show HUGE bonus points for having her band play at Haverford (in real life they'd probably do a session at WKDU, which is Drexel's radio station, but I digress), using an obscure punk band from Philly that I was supposed to see last year before the pandemic shut things down (Mannequin Pussy) as part of the soundtrack, referencing a show her band had played earlier at Bryn Mawr College (where I used to work), etc. That is real. They've had indie/punk shows there since at least the early '90s.

The indie band/college radio stuff did ring uncharacteristically authentic (meaning you can usually tell that the pop culture references are what out of touch writers think young people are into). Makes sense that it was the real deal, to some degree.
SamDBL

Postby target » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Totally disagree with some of the comments about Siobhan’s plot line being irrelevant. The show is about processing trauma and grief and she provides a model for working through Kevin’s suicide...not avoiding it, and moving on with life. She provides a great counter to Mare’s suppressed feelings

Totally on the same page as SamDBL/-/I can’t get enough of British police procedurals /- a near obsession.
But rarely really enjoy the American ones....
target

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:59 am

FormerLurker wrote:
SamDBL wrote:It was good. I knew a twist was coming. But I thought it was that the freckle-faced wife was going to be the culprit.

Same here.

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING: I totally get that as she would be the most obvious suspect, but I wasn't surprised when it was the kid (Ryan) who did it, especially after the scene in the cafeteria.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 am

SamDBL wrote:The indie band/college radio stuff did ring uncharacteristically authentic (meaning you can usually tell that the pop culture references are what out of touch writers think young people are into). Makes sense that it was the real deal, to some degree.

I'll be honest. I was quite surprised that they got it even kinda right. Someone there who was involved with the show must be very plugged into that whole WKDU/West Philly/DIY punk scene. I lived there and went to tons of those shows for over a decade, so I was expecting them to get it totally wrong (as TV shows and films usually do). Even the background music (Phoebe Bridgers, more Mannequin Pussy, etc.) rung true as did the Lucy Daucus show plotline (the Met is of course not the opera or museum here in New York, but a much different and real venue in Philly, too, albeit only opened in recent years, so I've never been there). She is exactly the type of club/small theater headliner who would likely play there, though.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:09 am

target wrote:Totally disagree with some of the comments about Siobhan’s plot line being irrelevant. The show is about processing trauma and grief and she provides a model for working through Kevin’s suicide...not avoiding it, and moving on with life. She provides a great counter to Mare’s suppressed feelings

That's a really great point. I thought that Siobhan seemed unusually well-adjusted (for the most part aside from one specific scene, of course) given the circumstances of her family life, but of course, the way each person processes trauma is very different. Perhaps she was the one in the family expected to hold it all together emotionally when everyone else was a complete wreck and she was playing that role, but I'm sure her film helped her process it as well and maybe that's why?
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:25 am

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:The indie band/college radio stuff did ring uncharacteristically authentic (meaning you can usually tell that the pop culture references are what out of touch writers think young people are into). Makes sense that it was the real deal, to some degree.

I'll be honest. I was quite surprised that they got it even kinda right. Someone there who was involved with the show must be very plugged into that whole WKDU/West Philly/DIY punk scene. I lived there and went to tons of those shows for over a decade, so I was expecting them to get it totally wrong (as TV shows and films usually do). Even the background music (Phoebe Bridgers, more Mannequin Pussy, etc.) rung true as did the Lucy Daucus show plotline (the Met is of course not the opera or museum here in New York, but a much different and real venue in Philly, too, albeit only opened in recent years, so I've never been there). She is exactly the type of club/small theater headliner who would likely play there, though.

I really like Julianne Nicholson (the actor who portrayed Lori). She was also on "The Outsider" as Jason Bateman's wife.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:27 am

gregpolard wrote:
I really like Julianne Nicholson (the actor who portrayed Lori). She was also on "The Outsider" as Jason Bateman's wife.

She seems to be a favorite of other folks I know who have watched it as well. I honestly had no idea who she was before watching her in Mare.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:31 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

She seems to be a favorite of other folks I know who have watched it as well. I honestly had no idea who she was before watching her in Mare.

Check out "The Outsider" which was on HBO last year, based on the Stephen King book. Also features the aforementioned Bateman (one of my favorites) and Ben Mendelsohn, who is phenomenal in it.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:00 am

Ms. Nicholson was also a regular on LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT during that weird period when they had different cops alternating episodes.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:07 am

scannest wrote:Ms. Nicholson was also a regular on LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT during that weird period when they had different cops alternating episodes.

Might have to watch. I'm mainly an SVU / Organized Crime kinda guy
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:12 am

gregpolard wrote:Might have to watch. I'm mainly an SVU / Organized Crime kinda guy

CRIMINAL INTENT, with Vincent D'Onofrio, is hands down the best of the various Law & Order iterations.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:20 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Might have to watch. I'm mainly an SVU / Organized Crime kinda guy

CRIMINAL INTENT, with Vincent D'Onofrio, is hands down the best of the various Law & Order iterations.

I just love Chris Meloni, Mariska & Ice T so much that's so hard to fathom! haha
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:12 pm

target wrote:Totally disagree with some of the comments about Siobhan’s plot line being irrelevant. The show is about processing trauma and grief and she provides a model for working through Kevin’s suicide...not avoiding it, and moving on with life. She provides a great counter to Mare’s suppressed feelings

Totally on the same page as SamDBL/-/I can’t get enough of British police procedurals /- a near obsession.
But rarely really enjoy the American ones....

It barely had anything to do with her in relation to the brother, though. I think that's why it felt it was distracting. I thought somehow the video she was making would have some prominence. I kept waiting for some big reveal with her.. abusing drugs, suicide attempt, *something* that would make her part of the actual story. But her feelings on bro were mentioned only in one scene. And the video she was making never came to anything emotion. The rest was just irrelevant romance drama. In fact, her only big emotional moments were when she was pining over this new girlfriend. She actually seemed to care very little about the brother except that she was annoyed that she was the one that came upon his corpse.
SamDBL

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:01 pm

lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:29 am

lewdd wrote:https://www.avclub.com/mare-of-easttown-receives-pennsylvania-s-highest-honor-1847064351

hah! better be vegan!
gregpolard

Return to daghouse