Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:15 pm

Wax Trax?

What is this, 1985?
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Naked Raygun Wax Trax LP Pre-Order

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:59 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Wax Trax?

What is this, 1985?

Dude, watch the doc on Wax Trax (different thread, I know). It's on Amazon Prime iirc. Almost made me teary at times.

I think it's very cool that they're releasing it on WT; hearkens back to their early '80s post-punk/experimental roots.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby pedro » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:30 am

Let's state a few things for the record:

1. I am old.
2. I am jaded.
3. I am grumpy.
4. I love Naked Raygun (until Understand? anyway.)

With that out of the way, the idea of buying a new Naked Raygun record in the year 2021 is just weird. The fact that the seven inches, and for that matter Home, did nothing for me probably plays into it, but it just seems weird. I am not trying to say they can't put out a record, by all means go ahead, but my interest is basically zero.

I am also not saying Jeff Pezzatti should care one bit about what pedro says on some message board.

FTR, I listened to All Rise yesterday. It's still really good.
Hello.
pedro

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:36 am

pedro wrote:Let's state a few things for the record:

1. I am old.
2. I am jaded.
3. I am grumpy.
4. I love Naked Raygun (until Understand? anyway.)

With that out of the way, the idea of buying a new Naked Raygun record in the year 2021 is just weird. The fact that the seven inches, and for that matter Home, did nothing for me probably plays into it, but it just seems weird. I am not trying to say they can't put out a record, by all means go ahead, but my interest is basically zero.

I am also not saying Jeff Pezzatti should care one bit about what pedro says on some message board.

FTR, I listened to All Rise yesterday. It's still really good.

I will say this, apart from the song "Home" the last album from 1990 is not very memorable to me, nor were the reunion 7"s from about 10 years ago....but the single they released from this one is really good.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:47 am

Yeah, I meant the album Raygun...Naked Raygun. "Hiome" is the single.

As I said, I'm old.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:54 am

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Wax Trax?

What is this, 1985?

Dude, watch the doc on Wax Trax (different thread, I know). It's on Amazon Prime iirc. Almost made me teary at times.

I think it's very cool that they're releasing it on WT; hearkens back to their early '80s post-punk/experimental roots.

I already watched it. With the Ministry live show. It was very cool.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:56 am

pedro wrote:Yeah, I meant the album Raygun...Naked Raygun. "Hiome" is the single.

As I said, I'm old.

TBH, all of their albums are good to great. Even the later stuff had excellent songs. Dammit, its Pezzati. What's not to love.

I don't think I'll buy the vinyl on this, but if they play live again, I'll go for sure.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:35 am

gregpolard wrote:I will say this, apart from the song "Home" the last album from 1990 is not very memorable to me, nor were the reunion 7"s from about 10 years ago....but the single they released from this one is really good.

Exactly this. I hope this Lp will be as good as that single and better than the rest of the Bill Stephens era up to this point except for "Home."
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:36 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
pedro wrote:Yeah, I meant the album Raygun...Naked Raygun. "Hiome" is the single.

As I said, I'm old.

TBH, all of their albums are good to great. Even the later stuff had excellent songs. Dammit, its Pezzati. What's not to love.

I don't think I'll buy the vinyl on this, but if they play live again, I'll go for sure.

Fair, but I'll say it again. He saved his best tunes for The Bomb during that time (late '00s/early '10s).
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:57 am

I was a casual fan of the band prior to their reunions 15+ years ago. I did own every CD and enjoyed quite a few songs from every one of them, but never thought that they had a release that was great from first song to last. Then, I saw them play a very small club under an alias the evening before their Riot Fest reunion show. That started to change my thoughts about them. There was so much energy in that room that night and I could feel the floor bouncing up and down and thought we were going to fall through to the first floor. I saw them about a dozen times since then. Most nights had a different setlist than other nights. They always seemed to mix it up. There was even a show where the crowd yelled out what song to play and that became their setlist. Another time, I saw them at a Busted At Oz reunion and got to hear the very early stuff with Santiago playing live. I heard the newer singles live before they were released. I saw The Bomb play as a 3 piece before Jeff Dean was playing guitar. Saw them play a handful of times after that. Own every release they put out too. Hand brief conversations at other bands shows with Pezzati on several occasions. I watched their recorded live show a month or so ago and heard a few of the new songs.

I like the new single much better than the prior singles. I like songs off of every release including the Stephens era. At the end of the day, I am just happy that the last songs recorded with Pierre are going to see the light of day. He deserved that. I would go see them play live again, but probably not more than one time. There time has passed as an energetic live act due to death and health issues.

I still think they are underrated in the history of USA punk rock of the 80s.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:55 pm

lewdd wrote:I was a casual fan of the band prior to their reunions 15+ years ago. I did own every CD and enjoyed quite a few songs from every one of them, but never thought that they had a release that was great from first song to last. Then, I saw them play a very small club under an alias the evening before their Riot Fest reunion show. That started to change my thoughts about them. There was so much energy in that room that night and I could feel the floor bouncing up and down and thought we were going to fall through to the first floor. I saw them about a dozen times since then. Most nights had a different setlist than other nights. They always seemed to mix it up. There was even a show where the crowd yelled out what song to play and that became their setlist. Another time, I saw them at a Busted At Oz reunion and got to hear the very early stuff with Santiago playing live. I heard the newer singles live before they were released. I saw The Bomb play as a 3 piece before Jeff Dean was playing guitar. Saw them play a handful of times after that. Own every release they put out too. Hand brief conversations at other bands shows with Pezzati on several occasions. I watched their recorded live show a month or so ago and heard a few of the new songs.

I like the new single much better than the prior singles. I like songs off of every release including the Stephens era. At the end of the day, I am just happy that the last songs recorded with Pierre are going to see the light of day. He deserved that. I would go see them play live again, but probably not more than one time. There time has passed as an energetic live act due to death and health issues.

I still think they are underrated in the history of USA punk rock of the 80s.

Well said. I too, was a casual fan until the reunion era. Seeing them in 2009 in Philly was one of the most fun sets ever.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:28 pm

Ordered cause I'm a sucker. But I love Naked Raygun.
drew

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:17 pm

My experience was a bit different. I didn't think I'd ever be able to see them until the 2009 show in Philly (that was my 1st time), but I'd been wanting to ever since I found Jettison in the cassette sale/discount bin when I was in high school. Understand? is my favorite and I think that record and them in general are underrated, so I agree with lewdd; they should be mentioned in the same breath as Huskers, Replacements, et al.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:51 am

JGJR wrote:My experience was a bit different. I didn't think I'd ever be able to see them until the 2009 show in Philly (that was my 1st time), but I'd been wanting to ever since I found Jettison in the cassette sale/discount bin when I was in high school. Understand? is my favorite and I think that record and them in general are underrated, so I agree with lewdd; they should be mentioned in the same breath as Huskers, Replacements, et al.

Agreed. I think especially the Haggerty era is excellent.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:10 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:My experience was a bit different. I didn't think I'd ever be able to see them until the 2009 show in Philly (that was my 1st time), but I'd been wanting to ever since I found Jettison in the cassette sale/discount bin when I was in high school. Understand? is my favorite and I think that record and them in general are underrated, so I agree with lewdd; they should be mentioned in the same breath as Huskers, Replacements, et al.

Agreed. I think especially the Haggerty era is excellent.

Absolutely; Throb Throb up to and including Understand? is a great run.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:46 am

So - maybe I missed a thread - but has anyone checked out the full album yet?

I've listened a bunch of times and am NOT disappointed. About half of it is classic Raygun (Go the Spoils, Living in the Good Times, Amishes) - big hooks & melodic anthems. A few songs sound like Irish drinking songs, one sounds almost like a tribute to The Jam, and a few are going for something a little different and experimental (Suicide Bomb comes to mind) - but no duds that I hear.
captain2man

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:07 am

I liked “Last of the Demo Hicans” a lot. That’s the most recent NR I’ve heard.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby creature » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:40 pm

captain2man wrote:So - maybe I missed a thread - but has anyone checked out the full album yet?

I've listened a bunch of times and am NOT disappointed. About half of it is classic Raygun (Go the Spoils, Living in the Good Times, Amishes) - big hooks & melodic anthems. A few songs sound like Irish drinking songs, one sounds almost like a tribute to The Jam, and a few are going for something a little different and experimental (Suicide Bomb comes to mind) - but no duds that I hear.

It's a "grower" for me. I dug a few songs right away, and now I"m up to about a 95% enjoyment rate. It's classic in some spots and adventurous in others ... but that's what makes a great album in my mind. It was good to get the lowdown on some songs beforehand during my chat with Pezzati on our blog. Cheers!
creature

Postby lewdd » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:22 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I liked “Last of the Demo Hicans” a lot. That’s the most recent NR I’ve heard.

If you never listened to their first few records, you are missing some good USA punk rock and maybe even hardcore in some people's minds.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:23 pm

I've listened to the new album on Spotify the day it came out. I am not overly excited about it and I am still waiting on my LP, CD, and t-shirt to arrive. I like the Descendents new release better than the NR new release. The NR release has some really good songs on it, and others that I could do without. Would be a very good EP.
lewdd

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:31 pm

lewdd wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I liked “Last of the Demo Hicans” a lot. That’s the most recent NR I’ve heard.

If you never listened to their first few records, you are missing some good USA punk rock and maybe even hardcore in some people's minds.

Yeah, I love those records.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby captain2man » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 am

creature wrote:It was good to get the lowdown on some songs beforehand during my chat with Pezzati on our blog. Cheers!

Just read the interview you did with Jeff and really enjoyed it!
captain2man

Postby creature » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:21 pm

captain2man wrote:
creature wrote:It was good to get the lowdown on some songs beforehand during my chat with Pezzati on our blog. Cheers!

Just read the interview you did with Jeff and really enjoyed it!

Thanks!
creature

Return to daghouse