40th anniversary of X's Wild Gift

40th anniversary of X's Wild Gift

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:50 am

I wrote something about the 40th anniversary of this landmark album and I thought some of you might enjoy reading it.

https://www.undertheradarmag.com/blog/x ... _wild_gift
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Re: 40th anniversary of X's Wild Gift

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 am

Cool, I will take a look. This will give something for Scannest to talk to John Doe about when they catch up at the show.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:14 am

lewdd wrote:Cool, I will take a look. This will give something for Scannest to talk to John Doe about when they catch up at the show.

I forget what can happen around here when I make a sincere request. Now it's a running joke. Why do I still post here then?
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:55 am

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:Cool, I will take a look. This will give something for Scannest to talk to John Doe about when they catch up at the show.

I forget what can happen around here when I make a sincere request. Now it's a running joke. Why do I still post here then?

Lighten up, Francis! ;)

You post here because you love it here. It is a place for you to share your knowledge of music with others, and to learn about new bands (or even old ones you never heard of or wrote off) from others.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:25 am

lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Lighten up, Francis! ;)

You post here because you love it here. It is a place for you to share your knowledge of music with others, and to learn about new bands (or even old ones you never heard of or wrote off) from others.

I do, of course, but sometimes the good-natured ribbing on here gets to me more than I like to admit tbh. Anyway, thanks.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:41 am

Honestly, if the Red Hot Chili Peppers have taught us anything it's that if you talk to John Doe he will tell you about a band called fIREHOSE.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby DelGriffith » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:46 am

I understand

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Lighten up, Francis! ;)

I do, of course, but sometimes the good-natured ribbing on here gets to me more than I like to admit tbh. Anyway, thanks.
DelGriffith

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:15 pm

JGJR wrote:

Maybe I'm biased, but I thought that was pretty funny.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:24 pm

gregpolard wrote:Honestly, if the Red Hot Chili Peppers have taught us anything it's that if you talk to John Doe he will tell you about a band called fIREHOSE.

This is amazing on so many levels. :lol:

They also sampled "White Girl" on that track or on another song from that record, right?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:24 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Maybe I'm biased, but I thought that was pretty funny.

You or the character you play here? :lol:
JGJR

Postby drew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:32 pm

JGJR wrote:I wrote something about the 40th anniversary of this landmark album and I thought some of you might enjoy reading it.

Very cool article, JGJR. Time to throw on some X
drew

Postby Hal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 am

Nice write-up Matt!

I saw X a few years ago...my first time seeing them. They totally exceeded my expectations! They sounded as good, if not better than I've ever heard them. It was at a great new-ish venue too (Gateway City Arts, Holyoke, MA). Excellent room, sold out crowd...outstanding performance. Hope to see them again.
Hal

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:11 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:I wrote something about the 40th anniversary of this landmark album and I thought some of you might enjoy reading it.

Very cool article, JGJR. Time to throw on some X

Thank you, Andrew!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:18 am

Hal wrote:Nice write-up Matt!

I saw X a few years ago...my first time seeing them. They totally exceeded my expectations! They sounded as good, if not better than I've ever heard them. It was at a great new-ish venue too (Gateway City Arts, Holyoke, MA). Excellent room, sold out crowd...outstanding performance. Hope to see them again.

First and foremost, thanks Hal!

My first time seeing them was in 2005 at the TLA in Philly and for a while, they seemed to play there yearly and then in the mid-'10s, I'd see them once a year at another club (Underground Arts), once in the tent at Riot Fest East, once at World Cafe Live, etc.. I've seen them here in New York playing Under the Big Black Sun in full and in LA at the Whisky-A-Go-Go. Of course, given the pandemic and everything, I'm jonesing for them to play here! It's hard to believe that it almost became routine to see them, great as they always are. It makes me more appreciative, etc.

Oh and aside from World Cafe Live and City Winery, the clubs I've seen them play at don't have especially great sound systems, yet they always manage to sound great. That always helps, too, but once I saw one of Exene's other bands The Original Sinners at a now-defunct bar in Philly called the Tritone. It sounded like mud, but they were absolutely great, so context is everything, I guess.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:31 am

Earthdog and I saw them at Riot Fest. They played the documentary first and then the band played a show. It was the original members and it was great. Billy Zoom had this teeth showing grin on his face the whole set.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:51 am

lewdd wrote:Earthdog and I saw them at Riot Fest. They played the documentary first and then the band played a show. It was the original members and it was great. Billy Zoom had this teeth showing grin on his face the whole set.

Yep he never ever fails to do his trademark grin for at least half of each set if not more.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:32 am

Their second best record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:33 am

version sound wrote:Their second best record.

What do you think is their best?
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:39 am

Hal wrote:Nice write-up Matt!

I saw them for the first time in the early ‘00s. It was a shitty night, and it had started snowing. I didn’t even want to go, but I had already bought tickets, so I dragged my ass there. As we approached the venue (9:30 Club), I could hear them playing, and I broke into a huge Billy Zoom style grin. I kept smiling the whole night. I think that was the only show I’ve ever yelled “NO!” with genuine disappointment when the last encore was over. I don’t know what it was, but that was a magical show. I saw them again a year or two later, and they were great, but it wasn’t like the first one.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:05 am

I wish they would have had something special released for the 40th anniversary with a significant amount of quality bonus tracks.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:20 am

lewdd wrote:I wish they would have had something special released for the 40th anniversary with a significant amount of quality bonus tracks.

Didn’t they do deluxe/expanded CD versions a few years ago?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:49 am

version sound wrote:
lewdd wrote:I wish they would have had something special released for the 40th anniversary with a significant amount of quality bonus tracks.

Rhino reissued their catalog on CD with bonus tracks in 2001/2, but I think that those are long OOP. Before that, the Beyond and Back compilation from 1997 had a bunch of demo/unreleased/rare tracks. I hope they're not too pricey to replace because I kinda wish I still had them. The reissues in more recent years (on Porterhouse and more recently their current label Fat Possum) have been the 1st 4 on vinyl and there's a brand new version of Wild Gift that's out now. It's gotten a good review from the one person I know who has it, but I don't know the sources used, etc. I don't have any of the reissues since I have the originals.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 pm

version sound wrote:

I apologize. I meant on vinyl.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:41 pm

lewdd wrote:
version sound wrote:

I apologize. I meant on vinyl.

No worries. I'm glad I kept a lot of expanded CD/2 CD versions of stuff they (Rhino) did (like the Elvis Costello catalog up to 1996, for example, which Rhino released 3 albums at a time in 2 CD form from 2001 to 2004) because sometimes, the bonus tracks aren't even on streaming services. For X, they are, though, thankfully, at least the last time I checked.

The 40th-anniversary edition of Wild Gift that just came out is the Lp. An Lp or 2 of the bonus tracks from those reissues or Beyond and Back would be nice, but what I'd really love is vinyl reissues of Unclogged and Live in Latin America because they are almost impossible to find in the wild or even on Discogs. A vinyl reissue of Live in Los Angeles would be pretty cool, too.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:58 pm

That new reissue has no bonus songs. It is on gold foil color vinyl whatever the hell that means.

It looks like you can get the Beyond and Back 2CD for less than $20 on Discogs. I have a copy and would entertain selling it.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 pm

lewdd wrote:That new reissue has no bonus songs. It is on gold foil color vinyl whatever the hell that means.

It looks like you can get the Beyond and Back 2CD for less than $20 on Discogs. I have a copy and would entertain selling it.

Would you trade? I'd love to have that one back in the collection.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:01 pm

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:That new reissue has no bonus songs. It is on gold foil color vinyl whatever the hell that means.

Would you trade? I'd love to have that one back in the collection.

Possibly
lewdd

Return to daghouse