he plays in killing joke
lewdd

Re: Whatever happened to Sonic Youth?

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun May 30, 2021 8:36 pm

MC5
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FormerLurker » Mon May 31, 2021 9:03 am

Nothing happened. They've always been horrible.
FormerLurker

Postby JGJR » Mon May 31, 2021 11:03 am

FormerLurker wrote:Nothing happened. They've always been horrible.

I have promised myself that I should be nicer to the deaf community, so I'll refrain from commenting here. :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Mon May 31, 2021 1:55 pm

JGJR wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:Nothing happened. They've always been horrible.

I have promised myself that I should be nicer to the deaf community, so I'll refrain from commenting here. :lol:

I gotta say that I agree with FormerLurker.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:45 am

Can't tell if this is serious or not. If serious, it was likely to do with the drama surrounding Kim and Thurston's breakup.

RE: the band's music, I would say the best stuff they made was in the 80s, and after that things get pretty patchy. Some of the later stuff can be awful, IMHO.
patient_ot

Postby drew » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I curse the day they broke up.

It was your fault and you know it!
drew

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 am

drew wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:I curse the day they broke up.

It was your fault and you know it!

Shouldn't your time be better spent figuring out what shows you're going to be taking me to this summer?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:13 am

patient_ot wrote:Can't tell if this is serious or not. If serious, it was likely to do with the drama surrounding Kim and Thurston's breakup.

RE: the band's music, I would say the best stuff they made was in the 80s, and after that things get pretty patchy. Some of the later stuff can be awful, IMHO.

I was 1/2 joking. I know what broke them up, but I still curse that day.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:11 am

patient_ot wrote:Can't tell if this is serious or not. If serious, it was likely to do with the drama surrounding Kim and Thurston's breakup.

I can honestly say that I don't dislike any of it from the SYR stuff to their most commercially accessible stuff and everything in between. I thought the run between Murray Street and The Eternal (especially the 1st 3 of those) was excellent, almost the equal of their best work (EVOL to Goo imo).
JGJR

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:34 am

I bought some cassette of them back in the day just based on the bands name. Because it included ‘youth’ and had a weird, black and white cover, I assumed it was punk/hardcore. It was not. I had the same experience when I bought the first Danzig just because it had the sam hain skull on it thinking it would sound like Sam hain. It did not.
SamDBL

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:55 am

JGJR wrote:

I can honestly say that I don't dislike any of it from the SYR stuff to their most commercially accessible stuff and everything in between. I thought the run between Murray Street and The Eternal (especially the 1st 3 of those) was excellent, almost the equal of their best work (EVOL to Goo imo).

THIS. Those later albums are rad. They ended on a high note as well with "The Eternal" if that really ends up being their last.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:56 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

THIS. Those later albums are rad. They ended on a high note as well with "The Eternal" if that really ends up being their last.

Don't worry, they will be headlining Riot Fest one of these years.
lewdd

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:14 am

New Wind was the first 7Seconds album I bought (when it was released and I was 14.) When I poured over the liner notes at home, I wondered why Sonic Youth was co-wrote "Man Enough To Care" because it was credited to K.Seconds / S.Youth.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:21 am

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I think that's about as likely as the same Riot Fest having The Smiths, DKs with Jello, and The Jam as co-headliners. Then again, never say never, especially given the highly improbable reunions that have already happened.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:39 am

lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

haha! I thought for sure it would've happened by now but after reading Kim Gordon's book (granted it was from 2015) I just really don't see it happening and they're not getting any younger.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby SamDBL » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:04 am

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I think that's about as likely as the same Riot Fest having The Smiths, DKs with Jello, and The Jam as co-headliners. Then again, never say never, especially given the highly improbable reunions that have already happened.

I keep waiting for the Smiths to be announced for Coachella. They have the unlimited funds to offer a band like that. They just need to catch them after they've all had a few bad years, financially.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 am

Two or three good songs, tops.
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:40 am

SamDBL wrote:
JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I keep waiting for the Smiths to be announced for Coachella. They have the unlimited funds to offer a band like that. They just need to catch them after they've all had a few bad years, financially.

I think the Simpsons ruined those chances :lol:
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:19 pm

jaybird wrote:Two or three good songs, tops.

:?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:27 pm

SamDBL wrote:I keep waiting for the Smiths to be announced for Coachella. They have the unlimited funds to offer a band like that. They just need to catch them after they've all had a few bad years, financially.

Given that there have been some high-profile lawsuits surrounding their publishing catalog (specifically, with Mike Joyce suing Morrissey and Marr) that were settled in Moz's favor, I can't imagine that he or Marr would ever need to do it, though the other 2 members might. But w/out Moz and Marr... Also, given the sentiments towards The Smiths in Moz's book, I just don't see it happening. I've been wrong before, though.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:44 pm

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:I keep waiting for the Smiths to be announced for Coachella. They have the unlimited funds to offer a band like that. They just need to catch them after they've all had a few bad years, financially.

Given that there have been some high-profile lawsuits surrounding their publishing catalog (specifically, with Mike Joyce suing Morrissey and Marr) that were settled in Moz's favor, I can't imagine that he or Marr would ever need to do it, though the other 2 members might. But w/out Moz and Marr... Also, given the sentiments towards The Smiths in Moz's book, I just don't see it happening. I've been wrong before, though.

I don't think a lot of people thought the Misfits would get back together either. As Ted DiBiase used to say, "Everybody has a price."
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:57 pm

lewdd wrote: As Ted DiBiase used to say, "Everybody has a price."

Meh. I prefer Virgil. :lol:
JGJR

Postby the mean » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:06 pm

I hope Craig Gannon forms a new Smiths lineup with all new people and starts touring using the name.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:21 pm

JGJR wrote:

I can honestly say that I don't dislike any of it from the SYR stuff

Those albums are a mixed bag for sure. I paid for the downloads but only listened to them a few times.

Pretty sure that Geffen allowed them to function as SYR on the agreement that they stayed away from the 'main' SY sound; whatever that might be.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:53 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I can honestly say that I don't dislike any of it from the SYR stuff

Those albums are a mixed bag for sure. I paid for the downloads but only listened to them a few times.

Pretty sure that Geffen allowed them to function as SYR on the agreement that they stayed away from the 'main' SY sound; whatever that might be.

It's actually quite remarkable that Geffen kept them around for as long as they did and basically let them do whatever they want. It's such a contrast from when majors would sign bands in the '80s and their sound completely got sanitized, etc.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:12 am

JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
It's actually quite remarkable that Geffen kept them around for as long as they did and basically let them do whatever they want. It's such a contrast from when majors would sign bands in the '80s and their sound completely got sanitized, etc.

Yeah, but plenty of that was happening in the 90s still as well. With SY, the only 90s album I really like is Washing Machine. I thought Jet Set was godawful and nearly turned me off the band entirely.

I should revisit Goo and Dirty sometime, maybe my opinion will change on those.

I can't see myself ever liking Jet Set though. And by the time they hit Sonic Nurse or whatever it was, a lot of people were hyping the band again but it just sounded like a stale retread to me.

My 2 cents.
patient_ot

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:18 am

I'm listening to "The Eternal" for the first time in a while and man, what a great record. If this is indeed their last, it's a perfect way to go out.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:41 am

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Yeah, but plenty of that was happening in the 90s still as well. With SY, the only 90s album I really like is Washing Machine. I thought Jet Set was godawful and nearly turned me off the band entirely.

I can't see myself ever liking Jet Set though. And by the time they hit Sonic Nurse or whatever it was, a lot of people were hyping the band again but it just sounded like a stale retread to me.

My 2 cents.

Jet Set is an abomination. Unlistenable. Tom Lyle is the only one I know that thinks its on course with their other material. 'Bull in the Heather' is an OK song. Not great. And it makes a terrible single.

I will never forget playing a show with Jawbox at UConn. J Robbins and I were discussing 'Jet Set' and we both agreed that we were starting to wonder if this was the tipping point and possibly the end of Sonic Youth being a great band. BUT we'd also agreed that when 'Diamond Sea' was released off of 'Washing Machine', we'd ran out to buy the new album and they'd made a fairly good comeback.

Even Sonic Youth hate 'Jet Set'. I don't remember where I'd heard that they don't even remember the names of the songs on that album.

But I do REALLY like or love all of the other albums from Washing Machine forward as well.

JGJR wrote:It's actually quite remarkable that Geffen kept them around for as long as they did and basically let them do whatever they want. It's such a contrast from when majors would sign bands in the '80s and their sound completely got sanitized, etc.

They probably took the Firehose route in the sense that they didn't take big advances in recording...and wound up being a 'profitable band with street cred'.

And I saw them 4 years in a row at McCarren Park in Brooklyn. They were drawing THOUSANDS of people. 4? 5? Thousand. And the year they did the anniversary of 'Daydream Nation'. it was a HUGE HUGE epic event. Cookouts, beer, beachballs, etc...They were the new Grateful Dead.

And the Geffen re-issues of the SST and homestead albums were fantastic. Full color booklets with linear notes, remastered, bonus tracks of equally good quality of their 12"s.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:54 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

My 2 cents.

Jet Set is an abomination. Unlistenable. Tom Lyle is the only one I know that thinks its on course with their other material. 'Bull in the Heather' is an OK song. Not great. And it makes a terrible single.

I will never forget playing a show with Jawbox at UConn. J Robbins and I were discussing 'Jet Set' and we both agreed that we were starting to wonder if this was the tipping point and possibly the end of Sonic Youth being a great band. BUT we'd also agreed that when 'Diamond Sea' was released off of 'Washing Machine', we'd ran out to buy the new album and they'd made a fairly good comeback.

Even Sonic Youth hate 'Jet Set'. I don't remember where I'd heard that they don't even remember the names of the songs on that album.

But I do REALLY like or love all of the other albums from Washing Machine forward as well.

JGJR wrote:It's actually quite remarkable that Geffen kept them around for as long as they did and basically let them do whatever they want. It's such a contrast from when majors would sign bands in the '80s and their sound completely got sanitized, etc.

They probably took the Firehose route in the sense that they didn't take big advances in recording...and wound up being a 'profitable band with street cred'.

And I saw them 4 years in a row at McCarren Park in Brooklyn. They were drawing THOUSANDS of people. 4? 5? Thousand. And the year they did the anniversary of 'Daydream Nation'. it was a HUGE HUGE epic event. Cookouts, beer, beachballs, etc...They were the new Grateful Dead.

I know a few people who swear "Jet Set" is their favorite. Not me though. It's ok.
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:16 am

Sonic Youth was "cool." So even if they weren't making Geffen a ton of money, they helped bring other 90s alternative bands to Geffen.
the mean

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:27 am

the mean wrote:

Sonic Youth was "cool." So even if they weren't making Geffen a ton of money, they helped bring other 90s alternative bands to Geffen.

They brought Nirvana. Case closed
At that point, Geffen owed them for life.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:40 am

gregpolard wrote:I know a few people who swear "Jet Set" is their favorite. Not me though. It's ok.

You need new friends.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:42 am

gregpolard wrote:
the mean wrote:

They brought Nirvana. Case closed
At that point, Geffen owed them for life.

I won't argue that, of course, but I think the point is a bit overblown. I've heard it suggested that this is the only reason David Geffen signed them (their ability to mine the underground for new recruits, essentially), but I don't quite buy this. They wouldn't have initially invested in SY if they didn't have a ton of hype/buzz and critical acclaim around Daydream Nation. Goo is so accessible IMO that in a different world, maybe it could've been Goo (or Green Mind, to use a similar example since Dinosaur signed around the same time SY did, but to WB/Sire) that broke everything open, not Nevermind.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:03 pm

I don't think Geffen signed SY figuring they would lose money and just to use them as a recruitment piece. I think this is the reason they didn't drop them at some point, though.
the mean

Postby drew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:27 pm

Sonic Youth were a big band that sold a lot of records. A couple of hundred-thousand albums from a working band is what a label wants. They def turned a profit on their deal with Geffen. David Bowie and Frank Zappa were similar types of major-label artists in the 70's IMO
There aren't that many Million-sellers out there.
drew

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:57 pm

drew wrote:Sonic Youth were a big band that sold a lot of records. A couple of hundred-thousand albums from a working band is what a label wants. They def turned a profit on their deal with Geffen. David Bowie and Frank Zappa were similar types of major-label artists in the 70's IMO
There aren't that many Million-sellers out there.

I don't know what they sold or the terms of their deal. From reading interviews a long time ago I recall reading that part of their deal was to have health insurance. Most bands don't get that, so I wouldn't be surprised if their deal was far from typical.
patient_ot

Postby SamDBL » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:40 pm

lewdd wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I don't think a lot of people thought the Misfits would get back together either. As Ted DiBiase used to say, "Everybody has a price."

Yes. Same for the Police, the Eagles and Pink Floyd. No matter how rich they are, several millions dollars for a couple days work looks good to anyone. As these guys inch closer and closer to their final resting place, I think an attitude of ‘fuck it’ becomes a big factor. And I’m positive that Morrisseys informal cancellation had to have hit him in the wallet to some degree. A few more dings like that and he might have to sell one of his houses, or something. Can’t have that.
SamDBL

Return to daghouse