ALL/Descendents thread (streaming link to new LP inside!)

ALL/Descendents thread (streaming link to new LP inside!)

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Here's the thread from the old board: http://www.daghouse.com/jacopo/viewtopic.php?t=21732

This is also so that Former Lurker doesn't forget that Greatest Hits. :lol:
Last edited by gregpolard on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: ALL/Descendents thread

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:20 pm

Stumbled upon this tonight. Pretty good quality considering its age.

Were any of you guys there? I feel like the year can't be right, given that it's Scott singing and they're playing stuff from Allroy's Revenge and people seem to know it.

scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:14 am

gregpolard wrote:Stumbled upon this tonight. Pretty good quality considering its age.

Were any of you guys there? I feel like the year can't be right, given that it's Scott singing and they're playing stuff from Allroy's Revenge and people seem to know it.

The year is definitely wrong. Dave was still in the band as of November '88 and, as you point out, Allroy's Revenge didn't come out until April or May of '89. I think they made their first trip to the east coast with Scott in May of '89 so this show (if it really was in New Jersey) had to have taken place then or at some point thereafter.

p.s. I wasn't there. I did, however, see them at City Gardens in May and July of 1989. They were great.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Stumbled upon this tonight. Pretty good quality considering its age.

The year is definitely wrong. Dave was still in the band as of November '88 and, as you point out, Allroy's Revenge didn't come out until April or May of '89. I think they made their first trip to the east coast with Scott in May of '89 so this show (if it really was in New Jersey) had to have taken place then or at some point thereafter.

p.s. I wasn't there. I did, however, see them at City Gardens in May and July of 1989. They were great.

That's awesome. It seems like back then they really were on tour year round. I feel like they were on the East Coast every couple months from the stuff I've seen. I still need to see them live. As I said in the thread on the old board, I stupidly passed on seeing the Riot Fest after show with Scott and I now regret it. I was going to go in 2010 when they were supposed to play the Church in Philly but that was cancelled. In later years I've come to really love ALL, pretty much equal to Descendents at this point. When I was younger the only albums I had were the Smalley ones which, while I love those, they aren't as good as the Chad or Scott ones (though I did own the least good Scott album, Percolater)
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:p.s. I wasn't there. I did, however, see them at City Gardens in May and July of 1989. They were great.

The only time I ever saw them with Scott (until the 2011 Riot Fest East after party here at the TLA) back in the day was in '92, also at City Gardens, and with Bad Religion. The band My Name opened the show. Bad Religion and ALL were both incredible that night.

What I find most interesting about the above video is that they (possibly if it's accurate) played the Brighton Bar at one point. I was there a few years ago (actually about a month after Riot Fest East) to see Zounds, but hadn't been there since I saw Pegboy there in 1998!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 am

ALL are playing The Fest this year, maybe that's your chance! I have no way of know how many times I'v seen both bands....seeing DESCENDENTS on Sunday and then again next Sunday.....
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:47 am

gregpolard wrote:That's awesome. It seems like back then they really were on tour year round. I feel like they were on the East Coast every couple months from the stuff I've seen. I still need to see them live. As I said in the thread on the old board, I stupidly passed on seeing the Riot Fest after show with Scott and I now regret it. I was going to go in 2010 when they were supposed to play the Church in Philly but that was cancelled. In later years I've come to really love ALL, pretty much equal to Descendents at this point. When I was younger the only albums I had were the Smalley ones which, while I love those, they aren't as good as the Chad or Scott ones (though I did own the least good Scott album, Percolater)

They were. I'm almost positive that they played City Gardens with The Dickies in maybe the summer of '91 and after that '92 show, I saw them at City Gardens again in '93 the night after seeing them at Irving Plaza in New York. Of course that '93 City Gardens show was the one-night only Descendents reunion (they flew in Milo from Wisconsin after Chad got sick) which still ranks as one of the best shows I've ever seen and the night before that was the first time I saw them with Chad (saw them at least 3x that I can remember with Chad in the '90s).

So yeah, my main point was that they toured all the frickin' time back then. The time after the '93 tour was for Pummel and I saw them at Irving Plaza on that tour. My main memory of that show is waiting FOREVER (like an hour or something) for them to come on after The Toadies' long, awful, intolerable opening set.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:24 am

Chris Shary wrote:ALL are playing The Fest this year, maybe that's your chance! I have no way of know how many times I'v seen both bands....seeing DESCENDENTS on Sunday and then again next Sunday.....

I wish. Can't afford to travel :(
gregpolard

Postby matt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:48 am

Did I mention that I'll be seeing Descendents, ChadALL AND ScottALL next weekend?

:bag: :mrgreen: :bag:
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am

matt wrote:Did I mention that I'll be seeing Descendents, ChadALL AND ScottALL next weekend?

:bag: :mrgreen: :bag:

So lucky! I think I need to move to CO.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am

Good friend of mine lives in Boulder. When we have more money we're looking to get out to visit. Maybe we can Geocache? :)
gregpolard

Postby matt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:50 am

gregpolard wrote:Good friend of mine lives in Boulder. When we have more money we're looking to get out to visit. Maybe we can Geocache? :)

YES! And tacos!
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 am

matt wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Good friend of mine lives in Boulder. When we have more money we're looking to get out to visit. Maybe we can Geocache? :)

YES! And tacos!

That sounds delightful.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I did, however, see them at City Gardens in May and July of 1989. They were great.

With the Lemonheads if my memory serves me correctly. Excellent show.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:33 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I did, however, see them at City Gardens in May and July of 1989. They were great.

Yep. And The Fiendz, I believe. The Lemonheads were lousy, as they have been every time I've seen them except for the show where Bill and Karl were the backing band .
xxxHunterxxx

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Yep. And The Fiendz, I believe. The Lemonheads were lousy, as they have been every time I've seen them except for the show where Bill and Karl were the backing band .

Did you ever see Ben, Jesse, Doug and whatever that other guy's name was/is? They were good the first time I saw them and they got better each time. When everything fell apart, they were fabulous.
Hello.
pedro

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:51 am

pedro wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
scannest wrote:

Did you ever see Ben, Jesse, Doug and whatever that other guy's name was/is? They were good the first time I saw them and they got better each time. When everything fell apart, they were fabulous.

Nope. I never saw the Ben Deily 'Heads. I saw them with Ben Daughtrey from Squirrel Bait on drums, however. That was a hilarious train wreck.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:22 am

so excited for this weekend, there's a lot of bands I geek out over, but the DENTS (along w/ ALL, METALLICA, SCORPIONS & THE CURE) that's on a short list that I'm very loyal to.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm

WrEtcH wrote:so excited for this weekend, there's a lot of bands I geek out over, but the DENTS (along w/ ALL, METALLICA, SCORPIONS & THE CURE) that's on a short list that I'm very loyal to.

That's awesome. Have fun! I only saw Descendents once, two years ago at Riot Fest East. While I was glad to finally see them as they've always been a top 10 band for me, I wish it was at their own show and not a Fest. I wanted so badly to go to the shows they did in '96/'97 but it seemed like every one was on a school night and I wasn't able to go. Stupid parents!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:15 pm

gregpolard wrote: I wanted so badly to go to the shows they did in '96/'97 but it seemed like every one was on a school night and I wasn't able to go. Stupid parents!

JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:16 pm

I saw them 3 times in '96/'97, Stone Pony in December '97, Roseland on my birthday (5/16/97) and then a few months later at the Warped Tour that year.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:53 am

JGJR wrote:I saw them 3 times in '96/'97, Stone Pony in December '97, Roseland on my birthday (5/16/97) and then a few months later at the Warped Tour that year.

Nobody asked you!!!!!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:54 am

P.S. Technically can't you count that impromptu ALL show where Milo sang as a Descendents set?
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:15 pm

gregpolard wrote:P.S. Technically can't you count that impromptu ALL show where Milo sang as a Descendents set?

I always did because basically that's what it was. I even remember them doing Black Flag covers at the end of it. Epic doesn't even begin to describe it. I was so exhilarated that I stayed up all night after the show. OK, now I'm making you really jealous. Sorry! :lol:
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:38 pm

I saw ALL for the 1st time in late '89 in Frankfurt, Germany and Scott was singing. I've told the story several times about at this show Bill was being a huge prick about shirts that my friends and I had silk-screened because we were so into the Descendents. Below is a photo of gig poster, which I found tucked behind old paint cans.

FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:55 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I saw ALL for the 1st time in late '89 in Frankfurt, Germany and Scott was singing. I've told the story several times about at this show Bill was being a huge prick about shirts that my friends and I had silk-screened because we were so into the Descendents. Below is a photo of gig poster, which I found tucked behind old paint cans.

That poster rules. I feel like I remember that story from the old board. Refresh!
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:50 am

damn that was awesome!

I'm sure Chris will have better pics. I took some with the cam, but here's my crappy cell phone pix (since they're already uploaded on social media.)
the dents must have sold ALL of their hoodies. everybody was buying 'em and wearing 'em at the gig.

I gotta pack for Vegas!

heh, heh gotcha Chris!

Last edited by WrEtcH on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:52 am

also, I think it was awesome that Milo went to Gilman last night (I was at Rancid.) just the idea of it is awesome. I saw some cutie take a pic with him on twitter.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:17 am

WrEtcH wrote:also, I think it was awesome that Milo went to Gilman last night (I was at Rancid.) just the idea of it is awesome. I saw some cutie take a pic with him on twitter.

Nice Pics! Rancid played Gilman last night??
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:46 am

Wretch, glad you had fun! Yeah that picture you took was before DESCENDENTS played, one of my high school student's mom was in the crowd and wanted to say hello. She also took a picture to show her daughter of me on stage. Funny. Anyway I did get some shots, I'' share if I can figure it out. Really fun night but quite a strange venue. VERY cold,and I dressed so inappropriately. They little yellow jacket did nothing against the low 60's upper 50's temps! DESCENDENTS blazed through 24 (I think) songs in 50 minutes! Always great seeing them play. My son and wife were able to go as well. I'll be seeing them again next week!
Chris Shary

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:06 am

gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:also, I think it was awesome that Milo went to Gilman last night (I was at Rancid.) just the idea of it is awesome. I saw some cutie take a pic with him on twitter.

Nice Pics! Rancid played Gilman last night??

RANCID played a 2 night stint at the Warfield (I was at Sat night's show, I'll post pics later) Milo mentioned he was at one of the nights, but on Saturday night (while I was at the Warfield) he went to Gilman.

Chris Shary wrote:Wretch, glad you had fun! Yeah that picture you took was before DESCENDENTS played, one of my high school student's mom was in the crowd and wanted to say hello. She also took a picture to show her daughter of me on stage. Funny. Anyway I did get some shots, I'' share if I can figure it out. Really fun night but quite a strange venue. VERY cold,and I dressed so inappropriately. They little yellow jacket did nothing against the low 60's upper 50's temps! DESCENDENTS blazed through 24 (I think) songs in 50 minutes! Always great seeing them play. My son and wife were able to go as well. I'll be seeing them again next week!

that's San Francisco for ya :lol: Weird it was overcast the entire day. While I love blue skies, I'm going to miss the fog since I just saw the weather in Vegas is going to be 105 today :oops: I think as the DENTS get older, they're even better than they were in the 80's or 90's. It was fun to be that close as opposed to the last 2 times from a farther distance at the last 2 LA gigs I went to. Have fun Chris in Den/Fort Fun. Having the movie, ALL & the DENTS sounds like an awesome time!
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

Ah, gotcha. Man, you guys are lucky!
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 am

Oh and I wanted to yell and say Hi to you and Stepehen, but I thought people might I was one of those goofy fans just yelling for nothing :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 am

just found this on You Tube
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:20 am

Their worst song ever.
FormerLurker

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:43 am

FormerLurker wrote:Their worst song ever.

typical fan defense, "but I love that song!"
(I really do :lol: )
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:52 am

What song is it? (Youtube won't load on my work computer)
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:57 am

Wretch, I wish you had said something. Oh well, next time right?
Chris Shary

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:06 am

Chris Shary wrote:Wretch, I wish you had said something. Oh well, next time right?

definitely there will be a next time :D
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:13 am

Finally got the clip to load on my phone.

There's people out there who don't like "Get The Time"????
gregpolard

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 am

gregpolard wrote:Finally got the clip to load on my phone.

Hi!
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:10 am

FormerLurker wrote:

Hi!

I'm surprised, that's "all" (wink). Not that this has any bearing, but it's one of their more popular songs. Before I could get the link to work, I was assuming it was a joke song or something.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:12 am

gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

Hi!

I'm surprised, that's "all" (wink). Not that this has any bearing, but it's one of their more popular songs. Before I could get the link to work, I was assuming it was a joke song or something.

:lol: you can just imagine ALL the arguments we (as a board) get into on the dorkboard.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 am

WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

Hi!

:lol: you can just imagine ALL the arguments we (as a board) get into on the dorkboard.

Is the Dorkboard an All/Descendents msg board? Please forgive my total ignorance!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 am

"Get the Time" is easily one of their best pop songs. We didn't get it at the Jones Beach show. Nice that they're mixing it up a little bit.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:23 am

scannest wrote:"Get the Time" is easily one of their best pop songs. We didn't get it at the Jones Beach show. Nice that they're mixing it up a little bit.

This. It's great!
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 am

gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

Hi!

Is the Dorkboard an All/Descendents msg board? Please forgive my total ignorance!

it is it's own entity, but most of the people that posted on the original ALL board, migrated over there.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 am

WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

Hi!

it is it's own entity, but most of the people that posted on the original ALL board, migrated over there.

Ah, I'll have to check it out if anything just to lurk. :)
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:49 am

This! It's always been one of my favorites of theirs and interestingly, it's the only song of theirs that the alternative radio station (WHTG) near where I grew up would play when I was still in high school.
JGJR

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:17 pm

gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

Hi!

Ah, I'll have to check it out if anything just to lurk. :)

I got a handle for you: CurrentLurker.
FormerLurker

Next

Return to daghouse